PDA

View Full Version : Post this to your council

Big Dave
5th August 2008, 13:22
Honda Praises Sydney's Approach To Two-Wheelers

4 August 2008 - Honda Australia says all major cities should aim to follow in the footsteps of a proactive new Motorcycle and Scooter Strategy for Sydney announced recently by the city's Lord Mayor Clover Moore.

Moore launched a draft plan to be presented to Sydney City Council that proposes free parking on certain parts of the street, cheaper road tolls for those travelling on two wheels and the installation of public charging points for electric motorcycles.

Further initiatives include street locking devices, discounted rates for parking stations and residential permits, and a safety awareness campaign to better educate drivers.

The plan has been designed to encourage smaller, more environmentally friendly modes of travel and aims to support a shift away from larger, higher polluting vehicles.

"It is fantastic to see that government at a local level are recognising the need to look after those people who opt to use fuel efficient, low emission vehicles," said Honda's General Manager, Motorcycles, Tony Hinton.

"Scooters and motorcycles sales are continuing to go up because people of all ages realise they are a viable commuting alternative in the face of rising fuel costs and environmental issues."

Compared to the first six months of last year, the number of people purchasing road motorcycles has increased by 9% and scooters by nearly 8%, according to figures recently released by the FCAI.

"It is particularly encouraging to see that the City of Sydney is recognising the need to reduce road tolls for riders."

"Motorcycles and scooters take up less space than cars on the road and cause far less wear and tear on infrastructure so it is only fair that riders be offered an incentive."

"We are hopeful that other large cities in Australia will follow suit with those additional initiatives they do not already have in place," Mr Hinton added.

Trudes
5th August 2008, 13:31
Well good on Sydney!!:woohoo:
I noticed the tolerance to motorcycles parked on footpaths in Melbourne when I was there too, it was like a stroll through a huge bike park walking the streets, awesome!!:yes:

007XX
5th August 2008, 13:39
Sydney sounds really good right about now <_<

oldrider
5th August 2008, 14:06
Bit of a contrast to the NZ approach to everything on two wheels, like increasing ACC charges etc! :doh: John.

varminter
5th August 2008, 15:15
This is so far sighted and intelligent....it'll never happen here.

peasea
7th August 2008, 17:35
Well good on Sydney!!:woohoo:
I noticed the tolerance to motorcycles parked on footpaths in Melbourne when I was there too, it was like a stroll through a huge bike park walking the streets, awesome!!:yes:

You're not wrong. I've even seen HD's parked up all day on those central bike parks in Melbourne. Pity the Yarra stinks tho. (Open sewer that it is....)

peasea
7th August 2008, 17:36
This is so far sighted and intelligent....it'll never happen here.

Run for Prezzy mate, I'll vote for ya!

paturoa
7th August 2008, 18:02
Also send it to your local MP, I've heard there is an election coming.

RiderInBlack
7th August 2008, 18:14
Moore launched a draft plan to be presented to Sydney City Council that proposes free parking on certain parts of the street, cheaper road tolls for those travelling on two wheels and the installation of public charging points for electric motorcycles.
............discounted rates for parking stations and residential permits.Some of that is awesome...... But (as seen above) there is a lot of "Spin-Doctoring" there too. Most Cities I have parked in already have free parking for bike nearly over the entire city (Whangarei has and so has Tuaranga). I've never ever paid parking anytime I've used the bike anywhere in NZ. Seem to suggest to me that bikes will be charged parking in some of Sydney. As for Tolls, Tuaranga's toll road is free ta use for bikes , opposed to Sydney's "Cheaper Tolls".

Anyway it is still a good idea ta praise City Councils whan they are being helpful, as that is a good way ta encourage them to do more and to look upon Bikers in a more positive light.

Big Dave
7th August 2008, 18:17
But (as seen above) there is a lot of "Spin-Doctoring" there too.

From a corporate PR dept? Never.

Sanx
15th August 2008, 17:51
Brisbane should learn from it to, as they've announced they're about to start a crackdown on motorcycle parking.

middleaged2wheeler
23rd August 2008, 14:04
well what an enlightened attitude to motorcyclists---
green footprints recognised--some do bike because of greenie purposes--
carbon credits deserved for some maybe.

firefighter
23rd August 2008, 14:25
yeah it's a shame n.z only seems to want to discourage it by raising acc, next we'll be paying road user charges because we don't use as much gas so we have to make up for the less amount of tax we pay-or someting to that effect....

good on ya sydney.

firefighter
23rd August 2008, 14:30
for bike nearly over the entire city (Whangarei has and so has Tuaranga). I've never ever paid parking anytime I've used the bike anywhere in NZ. Seem to suggest to me that bikes will be charged parking in some of Sydney. As for Tolls, Tuaranga's toll road is free ta use for bikes , opposed to Sydney's "Cheaper Tolls"

yes but you can't compare Tauranga "City....lol" to main city centres, like sydney, and as for the toll road, well.....remember when you had to pay to go across tauranga harbour bridge?......bikes had to pay there too, and I think they were charged the same as cars (not 100% on that)

Big Dave
24th August 2008, 10:43
I spent my first 23 years in Sydney. It wil always be home. But I left for good in '82.
Sydney's infrastructure, roads, public transport etc is 3 times as good as Auckland's - eg.

Problem is that there are almost 4 times as many people.

MarkH
24th August 2008, 12:23
Sydney's infrastructure, roads, public transport etc is 3 times as good as Auckland's

Public transport 3 times as good as Auckland's? Are you saying that it is really shit then? I don't know how many times as good as Auckland's the public transport would have to be to be good - but I am sure that it is more than 3x.

Is Hamilton's public transport still shit too? When I lived there I could get from one side of the city to the other by bicycle in less than half the time of the bus.

Big Dave
24th August 2008, 14:28
Public transport 3 times as good as Auckland's? Are you saying that it is really shit then? I don't know how many times as good as Auckland's the public transport would have to be to be good - but I am sure that it is more than 3x.

Metaphorically speaking.

There is a relativity index too. The trains are great - when they are running.
The expressways are fabulous if you can afford the toll and travel when it's not already gridlocked.

RiderInBlack
24th August 2008, 17:02
I hear Nat is promising ta improve the roading Infrastructure by involving Private Companies (see http://www.agendatv.co.nz/Site/agenda/Agenda_Home/articles/24-August-2.aspx ), so expect more toll roads (@ $3-5 one-way, costing the average commuter $50 a week) all round.

MarkH
24th August 2008, 18:24
I hear Nat is promising ta improve the roading Infrastructure by involving Private Companies (see http://www.agendatv.co.nz/Site/agenda/Agenda_Home/articles/24-August-2.aspx ), so expect more toll roads (@ $3-5 one-way, costing the average commuter $50 a week) all round.

Aren't NZers paying enough for roading already? Every time I put petrol in my car or scoot a big chunk of what I pay is road tax. Diesel vehicle have just had an increase in their RUC.

I am not against user pays, but if the user has already paid then charging them again is double dipping IMO.