PDA

View Full Version : new site server

SpankMe
14th January 2005, 18:12
Just moved the site to a new server. Let me know what the responce time is like and if there are any problems.

Blakamin
14th January 2005, 18:19
so quick on my 10mbit pipe its not funny!!!! heaps better!... pages load in no time at all!!!

crashe
14th January 2005, 18:22
Just back on.... but I am using dial up.... so not sure yet if its any faster...

6Chris6
14th January 2005, 18:29
Smells cleaner in here.
Is this where it's staying? Or just temporary.

Blakamin
14th January 2005, 18:29
what was the old server??? I have a feeling i've played with zyns recently.. cant remember if it was here or game forum....

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 18:33
It's heaps quicker. I've just upgraded to Firefox 1.0 and the old site was starting to crawl a bit on ADSL.

This one loads all the subsidiary bits like the smilies noticeably quicker.

Hooks
14th January 2005, 18:34
well the old jetstream is moving along nicely and so are the pages here !! everything is loading quicker ... Well done that man ... :spudbooge :done:

What?
14th January 2005, 19:26
It's done something horrible to the bottom of all Jim2's posts...

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 19:30
It's done something horrible to the bottom of all Jim2's posts...

:D

I can only stay silently stir crazy for so long 'til it all starts leaking out!

Hitcher
14th January 2005, 19:31
Not much faster, if any discernable difference on 56k dial-up.

Blakamin
14th January 2005, 19:53
was there a problem 20 mins ago???
I got 150 emails from the site? (once daily update, normally 30) and then couldn't get a page to load???

SpankMe
14th January 2005, 19:58
Downloaded the latest kernel and the test transaction sucked up all the memory. This server only has half the memory the old one did, but is $100/month cheaper.

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 20:03
Downloaded the latest kernel and the test transaction sucked up all the memory. This server only has half the memory the old one did, but is $100/month cheaper.

Bizzarrely enough it's quicker. I was getting lots of "slow downs" in the last month.

Blakamin
14th January 2005, 20:08
$100 cheaper sounds good to me!!!!

avgas
14th January 2005, 20:29
Yeh good on u for saving $100, how much do we owe u for the rest????

SpankMe
14th January 2005, 20:37
I not actually saving anything. The previous server was rented by PlayerX and he allowed me is use it for free.

Skunk
14th January 2005, 20:49
Caused me all sorts of grief. Can't use my Mac with Safari 1.0.3 cause any link asks me to login again and I get messages about database errors and shite. (I think its an issue with the old Safari I'm running)
Back to the slow, old Shitty PC with Firefox. :disapint:

mangell6
14th January 2005, 21:06
Tis lots quicker now

Skunk
14th January 2005, 21:33
No quicker for me. (I hate this PC :crybaby: ) But I thinks it's the PC that's slow. :yes:

Skunk
14th January 2005, 21:41
Yep, it's the old Safari. Just tried on the wifes' Mac and it's OK. :doctor:

Ms Piggy
14th January 2005, 21:53
Definiltey faster, definitely :niceone:

k14
14th January 2005, 21:58
Yep, it's the old Safari. Just tried on the wifes' Mac and it's OK. :doctor:

well it serves you right for using one of those stupid machines :buggerd:

StoneChucker
14th January 2005, 22:41
so quick on my 10mbit pipe its not funny!!!! heaps better!... pages load in no time at all!!!
I've told you, you need to give that stuff up. You know what they say, it's the "gateway" drug :2thumbsup
:thud:

riffer
15th January 2005, 10:10
Caused me all sorts of grief. Can't use my Mac with Safari 1.0.3 cause any link asks me to login again and I get messages about database errors and shite. (I think its an issue with the old Safari I'm running)
Back to the slow, old Shitty PC with Firefox. :disapint:

Have you tried Firefox on the Mac, Skunk?

I'm using Firefox 1.0 Preview Release (NF) with the Noia theme ATM on an iBook G3/600 with only 256MB ram running on OS 10.3.6 and it works fine. Also use it (same specs) at work on an eMac/1250 Os 10.3.6 and on my G4/400 running 10.3.7 no problems.

Ditch Safari. Its just a reskinned Konqueror browser anyway. Firefox is heaps better. :niceone:

scumdog
15th January 2005, 17:42
My server played up last night, now my inbox does not show any new KB messages, what gives, is it my 'puter or has somat else gone wrong? :argh:

Kendog
15th January 2005, 20:02
Quicker here as well, great work :niceone:

Skunk
15th January 2005, 20:45
Have you tried Firefox on the Mac, Skunk?

I'm using Firefox 1.0 Preview Release (NF) with the Noia theme ATM on an iBook G3/600 with only 256MB ram running on OS 10.3.6 and it works fine. Also use it (same specs) at work on an eMac/1250 Os 10.3.6 and on my G4/400 running 10.3.7 no problems.

Ditch Safari. Its just a reskinned Konqueror browser anyway. Firefox is heaps better. :niceone:I'm stuck on 10.2.8 until I upgrade to 10.3.x and then do the php and MySQL upgrade as well - which is not straight forward from what I've read. (I use my webserver as my daily machine.) BW G3 350/ 1Gb ram.
As it was it was just the "generous" cacheing.
I use Firefox on my PC. Quite like Safari - they made a lot of code changes to KHTML too. And gave the soucre back.

well it serves you right for using one of those stupid machines :buggerd:Ignoramus... Done your Windows Update today?

riffer
15th January 2005, 20:58
I'm stuck on 10.2.8 until I upgrade to 10.3.x and then do the php and MySQL upgrade as well - which is not straight forward from what I've read. (I use my webserver as my daily machine.) BW G3 350/ 1Gb ram.
As it was it was just the "generous" cacheing.

Ignoramus...

Bugger. So you can only upgrade by bringing the server down.

Sounds like you need another computer buddy.

The new Mac mini sounds pretty cool as a web server ...

SpankMe
15th January 2005, 21:04
email from the site may be a bit erratic while I try and setup the new server as an email server.

Fuck imap is a complex setup. :argh:

Skunk
15th January 2005, 21:04
Bugger. So you can only upgrade by bringing the server down.

Sounds like you need another computer buddy.

The new Mac mini sounds pretty cool as a web server ...I was thinking the same thing.
Want: G5 tower 30" LCD 4Gb ram :shifty:
Afford: new mouse :baby:

inlinefour
15th January 2005, 21:39
Just moved the site to a new server. Let me know what the responce time is like and if there are any problems.

However xtra jetstream must be having menopause as it keeps crapping out :mad:

Badcat
16th January 2005, 08:57
I was thinking the same thing.
Want: G5 tower 30" LCD 4Gb ram :shifty:
Afford: new mouse :baby:
hey!
how many mac users are there here?
i like the look of that mac mini - alot.
will order one for my glamorous wife i think...
ken
----------
800mhz G4 ibook
Dual 1.25Ghz G4 with 2 gb ram
Dual 1.8 ghz G5 with 1.25 ghz ram
badass beige g3 with ham and cheese
hotrod colour classic with "040 upgrade and ethernet
20 or so others as doorstops, paperweights or parts donors.

dangerous
16th January 2005, 10:23
Hey heres a od one...... how come I cant get the home page, yet Kickaha 10k's up the rd can?????

This is what I get,

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Holy Roller
16th January 2005, 11:47
Hey heres a od one...... how come I cant get the home page, yet Kickaha 10k's up the rd can?????

This is what I get,

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

I got the same the other day but now all seems to be OK

crashe
16th January 2005, 12:21
Well Saturday morning around 8.45am I couldnt access the site at all.... :brick: as I was wanting to check if there was any changes to the saturday ride...
Phew.. there wasn't...lol

But by last night when I got home, all was ok again.... :apint:

Ummm I might add that using 56k modem dialup.. it aint no faster... :argh:

Milky
16th January 2005, 13:30

I got the same thing a couple of minutes ago, then refreshed and all was fine, other than needing to log in again.

SpankMe
16th January 2005, 13:40
Haven’t received any dB error emails so you could just be getting that page from cache. Let me know if you get it a second time.

ajturbo
16th January 2005, 17:32
email from the site may be a bit erratic while I try and setup the new server as an email server.

Fuck imap is a complex setup. :argh:

hey don't loose any hair over it!!
:innocent: :killingme

Skunk
16th January 2005, 17:42
hey don't loose any hair over it!!
:innocent: :killingmeCharming... <_<

crashe
16th January 2005, 18:24
This morning when I was in KB and went away for a while......
well when I came back I had been logged out... that is the first time that has ever happened to me.... I have in the past always remained logged in... even if I leave the comp for 1/2 hour or so...

Biff
19th January 2005, 10:03
I've changed my mind - at times it is now painfully slow to access this site. I'm not sure if this is a server issue or a bandwidth bottleneck.

It's definatley this site and not my PC or network as I can access all my other usual (an unsusual) sites without any problems. My IT team also did a quick check, I believe that they pinged your server, they also conclude that there is a traffic volume issue to your server.

Hmmm - are we getting close to asking people for membership fees in order to pay for this site?

I'm not complaining mind you. As like many others here we're grateful for the time, money and effort you put into running this site. Thanks.

Milky
19th January 2005, 16:00
Still having login troubles, but havent come across that error message that I had before. I have to type in a p/w at the beginning of every session, even though i have cookies enabled and the 'remember me' box checked