PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle theft gang caught out on EBay

Bob
15th January 2005, 01:06
An audacious gang of motorcycle thieves, who used eBay on the Internet to sell stolen parts for over $1 million, was arrested last week in an undercover sting operation in Queens, New York.

The sixteen member gang were accused on 92 counts of stealing motorcycles, breaking for parts and then selling via the internet site Ebay, mainly to dwarf car racers in the Midwest US as well as California and to individuals in Italy, Spain and Australia.

The computer-literate gang was brought down by a Ridgewood man, who reported to police in the 104th Precinct that he recognized parts of his motorcycle for sale on EBay, which had been stolen from his driveway. The investigation began then. Officials at the D.A.’s Office said the identified part was unique. It consisted of a v-shaped neck that had an unusual scratch on the painted surface, making it easy for the owner to recognize.

Some of the defendants face up to 25 years in jail if convicted.

StoneChucker
15th January 2005, 01:14
Good job. I hope the gang gave the parts at a discounted rate back to the original owner, if they bidded.

Gixxer 4 ever
15th January 2005, 10:33
Good job. I hope the gang gave the parts at a discounted rate back to the original owner, if they bidded.
Hard one this. If the bike owners have been paid insurance the bits belong to the insurance company. It would be nice to think the parts, in fact the hole bikes, were returned to the owners but if you purchase product thinking it is ok, you loose. But you have done nothing wrong as is the case for the owner who lost the bike in the first place. There will never be winners in this case. Good on the owner for sending these scum down.

750Y
18th January 2005, 13:49
good job! as a motorcycle theft victim, I hope they get banged up the butt big time. for at least 10 years...lol.

vifferman
18th January 2005, 14:05
How come Bob's always a week behind on the news? :Pokey:

Is the UK in a time warp (cue spooky Twilight Zone music) or summat? :spudwhat:

**R1**
18th January 2005, 14:37
Dam :mad: no more cheap parts.

Bob
18th January 2005, 21:32

As I said in my other response (to your similar comment on Indians and fuel-cell engines), if you come up with a news item, why not report it yourself?

But not cut and paste (breaking the law, by the way - do that and get found out, then Kiwibiker can be closed down).

But spend the considerable time required to remove all the waffle that comes with them, turn them into neat, tidy, easy to read items of around 100 words (unless the item in question requires some more depth, which upon occasion they will merit such).

Up for the challenge? If so, I'd be more than happy to see other people come up with news.

Over to you.

moko
18th January 2005, 22:36

Could be because he`s got a day job,plenty of journo work on top of that AND his own website to run as well as doing this.Like the man says if you see it first then put it up.

onearmedbandit
18th January 2005, 23:55
A moderator at a certain bike forum was involved as a ringleader, apparantly. I wont post the name of the forum here.

inlinefour
26th January 2005, 03:15
bloody good job, they'll be getting what they deserve.