PDA

View Full Version : 650 V-Strom forks

V-Stromer
6th August 2008, 10:47
New member- first post. Apologies if this issue has already been discussed. Couldn't find any reference using search functions.

I have a 2007 Suzuki 650 V-Strom. Love the bike but it has one problem- a horrible clanging, crashing noise from the forks when encountering vehicle crossings or less-than-perfect road surfaces. Sounds and feels like the forks are bottoming out but I doubt that is actually happening.

Research on V-Strom owner sites has revealed that this is an issue with all 650 V-Stroms. It doesn't appear to be a fault as such, it's just they way they are.

I agree that the handling from the front end seems OK and the noise doesn't seem to indicate an inherent fault. It's just really annoying.

If it was possible to cure the cause reasonably simply and cost-effectively, I probably would. But that's where I run into problems. There are several theories about how to do so.

Overseas experience seems to suggest that replacing the fork springs with Sonic springs is a 100% cure. Other brands of springs appear to have been less successful. My Suzuki dealer advises that there is no NZ agent for Sonic.

Others suggest that fitting a fork brace has cured, or at least significantly reduced, the noise.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone in NZ has found a successful, local cure that didn't break the bank.

Pussy
6th August 2008, 10:59
Talk to Robert Taylor on this site. He'll have the solution for you

Robert Taylor
6th August 2008, 13:18
New member- first post. Apologies if this issue has already been discussed. Couldn't find any reference using search functions.

I have a 2007 Suzuki 650 V-Strom. Love the bike but it has one problem- a horrible clanging, crashing noise from the forks when encountering vehicle crossings or less-than-perfect road surfaces. Sounds and feels like the forks are bottoming out but I doubt that is actually happening.

Research on V-Strom owner sites has revealed that this is an issue with all 650 V-Stroms. It doesn't appear to be a fault as such, it's just they way they are.

I agree that the handling from the front end seems OK and the noise doesn't seem to indicate an inherent fault. It's just really annoying.

If it was possible to cure the cause reasonably simply and cost-effectively, I probably would. But that's where I run into problems. There are several theories about how to do so.

Overseas experience seems to suggest that replacing the fork springs with Sonic springs is a 100% cure. Other brands of springs appear to have been less successful. My Suzuki dealer advises that there is no NZ agent for Sonic.

Others suggest that fitting a fork brace has cured, or at least significantly reduced, the noise.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone in NZ has found a successful, local cure that didn't break the bank.

You made the enquiry through a dealer in Dunedin who rang and asked me, they then hopefully articulated my answer reasonably accurately. But here goes again...
Frankly, 70% of the problem with those forks is poor hydraulic control, simply too little low speed damping so it is ''mushy'' at low speed fork shaft velocities and too much high speed damping at higher ''spike'' velocities meaning a harsh jolt is transferred through the handlebars when you ride over something abrupt like a poorly installed manhole cover. The solution is to fit Race Tech emulators to transform the action from ''fixed orifice'' damping to speed sensitive damping and ally that to LINEAR wind springs of appropriate rate for your body and loading stats. This solution is the technically correct solution and makes a HUGE difference.
I know nothing of ''Sonic'' springs but I would suspect that they may be progressive wind springs and they are then only a low cost and LOW RESULT solution. Forums worldwide are notorious for having just as much ''information'' that is less than well informed and therefore misleading.Its always ''nice'' to hear of low cost ''solutions'' but the result is usually also just as cheap. Bear in mind that while overseas markets also have bumps we here in NZ have a higher percentage of bumpy roads meaning more instances of longer suspension stroke movements requiring effective damping control. That means we are often more attentive to such issues as poor damping control and less than ideal springing. PM me and I can confirm pricing, the dealer you enquired through is very capable of carrying out this work.

V-Stromer
6th August 2008, 15:52
Many thanks for that reply.

Yes, a message was passed on, although I had no idea who it had originated with. Basically, the message I was given was that this modification would improve the forks performance considerably but not necessarily cure the terrible noise and, they said, as I wasn't complaining about the handling, just the noise, it probably wasn't the "fix" I was looking for.

I wonder if that is a fair summary of how you explained the situation to them?

I will send you a private message as suggested.

Many thanks.

V-Stromer
6th August 2008, 15:56
Oh dear.

Just tried to send a PM but not allowed to as I haven't made enough posts on this site yet.

Any chance that Robert Taylor could comment on the noise problem with these forks on the site?

Do you know whether this modification fixes it?

Thanks

Cajun
6th August 2008, 16:00
two more posts and you can send pms

Pussy
6th August 2008, 16:09
Try: robert@crownkiwi.co.nz

paturoa
6th August 2008, 20:12
For bottoming out you can easily check the fork compression by putting a zip tie tightly around the fork, as the forks compress they will push the zip tie up (or down as the case may be). If the "clanging" happens and the zip tie is not forced all the way then it will be something else.

Pussy
6th August 2008, 20:32
Excessive high speed compression damping will feel like bottoming out

Robert Taylor
6th August 2008, 22:21
Oh dear.

Just tried to send a PM but not allowed to as I haven't made enough posts on this site yet.

Any chance that Robert Taylor could comment on the noise problem with these forks on the site?

Do you know whether this modification fixes it?

Thanks

Assuming that you have absolutely eliminated steering bearings and brake caliper / disc movement issues yes it will cure the noise / ''clanging'' issue. The low speed damping is so weak that it causes the forks to blow through their stroke too readily and that exacerbates mechanical noise as springs, spacers and bottoming cups etc are more violently loaded. It is absolutely essential that the fork spring selection is correct and springs are chosen that are not excessively long. It is also essential that the bottoming out mechanisms, top out springs are also checked and the bushings as routine. Although you may think the suspension action is okay I can assure you that it can be improved enormously.

V-Stromer
7th August 2008, 19:17
Thanks for all the help.

I will contact Robert Taylor and if I go ahead with this modification I will report back on the outcome.

rogson
7th August 2008, 19:29
Its a year old bike?
If it is there should not be any clanking noises.
My guess is that it's something loose in the suspension/body-work/headlight/etc in the front end.
Take it to a dealer and get it sorted under warranty.

V-Stromer
7th August 2008, 20:11
Nah. Trust me. They ALL do it.

Every single V-Strom owners forum (and there are several, surprisingly) mentions it. Every 650 V-Strom owner I've spoken to has said their bike does it. It's the low-quality forks they run.

The 1000 Strom runs much better cartridge-type forks.

I guess it's down to the fact that the Strom is a budget, parts-bin "special" type of bike. Having said that, it's a great bike and there's generally nothing wrong with it. Just those horrible forks and if they can be cured....

Snails pace
8th August 2008, 22:09
My k7 didn't appear to have that problem. Perhaps i ride too slow:bleh: I have since put emulators in the forks as i was taking it over to the states, then central and south america. We handled some rather large potholes no problem. Now for the rear end to try and gain a bit of height and less bellying on those speed humps.

Robert Taylor
9th August 2008, 10:43
My k7 didn't appear to have that problem. Perhaps i ride too slow:bleh: I have since put emulators in the forks as i was taking it over to the states, then central and south america. We handled some rather large potholes no problem. Now for the rear end to try and gain a bit of height and less bellying on those speed humps.

Theres an Ohlins shock listing for this bike also, allied with that supplying it with the most appropriate spring for the rider stats and overall loading will make a huge difference. Pre mods to that shock prior to delivery ( eg length or valving changes ) is part of the package that we always offer.

Snails pace
9th August 2008, 13:51
Yeah Scott from Mr Motorcycles Pukekohe said to have a chat with you. Do plan to get round to it

TimeOut
11th August 2008, 15:35
Mine does it as well though not that often.

Could it be that they are dual purpose and it needed to be a bit softer at slow speed for off road.

I'd be interested in the cost for the upgrade.

Robert Taylor
11th August 2008, 18:04
Mine does it as well though not that often.

Could it be that they are dual purpose and it needed to be a bit softer at slow speed for off road.

I'd be interested in the cost for the upgrade.

Actually its often counterintuitive or to put it another way soft isnt always soft! If it is too soft at low speed fork movements and also undersprung ( which it is ) the forks both ride too low in their stroke and blow through their stroke too readily. Thereby arriving at the more compressed part of spring travel too readily where there is also rather less travel available, when in fact there should be more travel left, given effective damping control. Ally those shortcomings with another, too much high speed damping. You then have a recipe for a harsh riding set of forks when you ride over bumps that attempt to deflect the forks at high velocity. In the end event those forks are very much built to a price ceiling, as are many makes and models within such a market sector.
God I hope that didnt say too much like an excerpt from ''Yes Minister''
PM me for pricing.

V-Stromer
1st September 2008, 20:31
Right, I've had the work done and I'm very, very pleased with it!

Crown Kiwi and Robert Taylor supplied my Suzuki dealer, McIver and Veitch in Dunedin, with the necessary parts and very detailed information about how to set the forks up.

The good news is that the crashing and clanging is completely gone- yippee! Although I hadn't been critical of the forks' performance previously (just the noise) I now realise just how poor the OE spec forks were. I have ridden the bike over familiar roads to allow a direct comparison. The forks now give me much greater confidence on poor road surfaces. It holds a line much better with less crashing into potholes or over corrugations. It now seems that bad road surfaces would overwhelm the OE spec whereas the RaceTech upgrade is on top of the job. I found myself riding quicker over these roads than with the OE spec yet felt much more comfortable- a sure sign that the front end is performing much better.

The bike seems less prone to moving round under a strong side wind too. Someone may be able to explain how the fork upgrade would effect this aspect.

The only downside is that the forks are less plush at slow, tootling round town speeds and you tend to feel surface irregularities more at these speeds. But that is a small price to pay for much superior performance at open road speeds and much more confidence-inspiring control on poor roads.

I thoroughly recommend this upgrade. I have yet to receive the account for the work but doubt I will be seeing much change out of a grand. However, I believe it is worth it to significantly improve the handling (and therefore safety) of the bike. Much better value than spending the same amount on, say, an aftermarket muffler too.

Dino
1st September 2008, 21:32
Nice write up there V-stromer, fantastic that you have seen such a big benefit out of the work you had done.

Robert Taylor
2nd September 2008, 21:44
Right, I've had the work done and I'm very, very pleased with it!

Crown Kiwi and Robert Taylor supplied my Suzuki dealer, McIver and Veitch in Dunedin, with the necessary parts and very detailed information about how to set the forks up.

The good news is that the crashing and clanging is completely gone- yippee! Although I hadn't been critical of the forks' performance previously (just the noise) I now realise just how poor the OE spec forks were. I have ridden the bike over familiar roads to allow a direct comparison. The forks now give me much greater confidence on poor road surfaces. It holds a line much better with less crashing into potholes or over corrugations. It now seems that bad road surfaces would overwhelm the OE spec whereas the RaceTech upgrade is on top of the job. I found myself riding quicker over these roads than with the OE spec yet felt much more comfortable- a sure sign that the front end is performing much better.

The bike seems less prone to moving round under a strong side wind too. Someone may be able to explain how the fork upgrade would effect this aspect.

The only downside is that the forks are less plush at slow, tootling round town speeds and you tend to feel surface irregularities more at these speeds. But that is a small price to pay for much superior performance at open road speeds and much more confidence-inspiring control on poor roads.

I thoroughly recommend this upgrade. I have yet to receive the account for the work but doubt I will be seeing much change out of a grand. However, I believe it is worth it to significantly improve the handling (and therefore safety) of the bike. Much better value than spending the same amount on, say, an aftermarket muffler too.

Thanks for that, As the saying goes ''ignorance is bliss'' and many are skeptical about just how much well executed suspension mods can effect to motorcycles ( and cars ) That is until they experience it firsthand.Those that knock such expenditure and committment usually do so from a position of either no experience of same, less than perfect execution of such work or for their own perverse pleasure subscribe to knocking those who aspire to improving things. ''The best youve ridden is the best you know'' and frankly a lot of what people are riding around on is abysmal, often bordering on dangerous and unacceptable in this day and age of supposed progress.