PDA

View Full Version : New footpegs for KLR?

Padmei
7th August 2008, 08:07
Hey does anyone know where to get some serrated footpegs for my KLR650 08? Or is there some way of making them? My rubber ones don't have serrated edges under the rubber.

CrazyFrog
7th August 2008, 08:28
Have you found anything on www.klr650.com, or are you trying to get something local? I can talk to my workmate who's got some (when he gets back from USA).
Nice ride yesterday, good day out. Where to next?

Padmei
7th August 2008, 12:21
haven't checked it out yet. Hoping I can get something local or do something with some 2nd hand jobbies.

As for th next trip I'm not sure - Mt duppa perhaps? Gotta check with the boss. You working this wekend? Farmbike boy is talking of a ride somewhere

pete376403
7th August 2008, 17:40
DR650 pegs are favoured and can be made to fit relatively easily. From the KLR650FAQ:
Where can I get better footpegs?
The stock KLR pegs are good for the road, but get very slippery offroad when wet or muddy. There are a few options for replacements:

KLR250 pegs, a cheap option if you can find them from a salvage yard
DR650 steel pegs (1995 or equiv), which fit right on the KLR brackets. You need 1RH front footrest, 43550-44B10-019; 1 LH front footrest, 43560-44B10-019; and 2 springs, 09448-15008. The Kawi pins will work fine, although they are a little smaller in diameter than the DR pins. If you want to use the DR pins (p/n 09200-10008, 2 req'd), you will have to drill out the KLR peg brackets.
In 1996, Suzuki widened the footpegs; if you want the wider ones, you need: One 43550-14D30 footrest; One 43560-14D30 footrest; Two 09448-15004 springs; Two 09200-10013 pins
IMS Super Stock and Pro Series pegs, probably the priciest but most aggressive. These are higher than the stock pegs, which could make shifting difficult. You can rotate the shift lever up one notch on the spline, or try an IMS shift lever, which is longer than stock.

Padmei
7th August 2008, 17:52
thanks for that pete. Do you have barkbusters or similar. I broke my stock one the other day & have been looking around. I am concious of trying to keep the bar end weights as well to dampen vibration.

My crash bars are the best money I ve spent so far;)

Kaituna
7th August 2008, 20:56
You can fit DR650 pegs. Then next, the forks, and then the swing arm and rear suspension, you will need the frame of course, but then the engine as well because it is an integral part of the frame. you can keep your KLR seat and head light and Tank with KLR on it. Or you could just get a DR650 and paint it green!

pete376403
7th August 2008, 21:19
thanks for that pete. Do you have barkbusters or similar. I broke my stock one the other day & have been looking around. I am concious of trying to keep the bar end weights as well to dampen vibration.

My crash bars are the best money I ve spent so far;)No barkbusters yet. When I dropped the bike the plastic sheild folded up pretty easily and tweaked the corner that goes against the master cylinder - after that the sheild would bend back to the brake lever whenever I went over 100Km/h or so. Took it off and straightened the tab plus added a blob of hot melt glue to strengthen it a bit.
You could try taking off the bar ends and seeing what difference it makes to the vibes

NordieBoy
8th August 2008, 08:18
Hey does anyone know where to get some serrated footpegs for my KLR650 08? Or is there some way of making them? My rubber ones don't have serrated edges under the rubber.

Spots of weld and an angle grinder?

soundbeltfarm
8th August 2008, 09:03
in the ballards catalogue you can get just the serrated surrounds in the shape of the peg and weld them on.
makes peg a bit wider and you get the serrated teeth.
you must be able to get them in nz somewhere.

Skunk
8th August 2008, 09:59
I want some rubber ones for my 99 KLR650 to replace the serrated ones on it...

ducatijim
8th August 2008, 12:36

I guess this is just another box ticked for the DR in the old debate " DR v KLR' eh!!!!

cooneyr
8th August 2008, 13:28
I guess this is just another box ticked for the DR in the old debate " DR v KLR' eh!!!!

Worse than that - they are actually steeling DR650 pegs!!!:2guns:

(ok they are from the 95 and earlier model but the sentiment is the same).

Cheers R

NordieBoy
8th August 2008, 16:41

I'm using DR650 pegs on my '79 XR250 :D

Padmei
8th August 2008, 17:38
Just to clarify - I am a KLR owner and bow down before the mighty DR riders. You great men & women are the salt of the earth -well endowed handsome most fantastic riders there have been ever!! The DR650 is the greatest bike ever invented - ever! Everything about them is as close to perfect as fuck is to swearing. They are so great they don't actually touch the ground they levitate!!!

Now how about fucking off & riding them somewhere instead of mumbling into the computor the shortcomings of the KLR.

Most of us that bought KLRs were aware of what we were buying when we paid the money so stop trying to rub our noses in it. Funs fun but after a while it gets a bit stale...

Soundbeltfarm - what is this ballards catalogue of which you speak?

I think I might have a go at belting a bit of steel around the existing peg & welding it on. Anyone done this with success? What size steel do you think would be best?

Kaituna
8th August 2008, 18:12
No need to Blow a Fuse dude. Come to the Waikato this weekend and come for a ride.

ducatijim
8th August 2008, 18:22
Now how about fucking off & riding them somewhere instead of mumbling into the computor the shortcomings of the KLR.

Woah, dude, take a chill-pill man ! This place( in fact all of 'biken) is based on taken the piss!

The 'great' DR has some oarfull shortcummins( some are even shortgoins) and most of the owners are aware, some even admit them.

But the KLR is rightfully at the bottom of the pile :-) .....get over it!!!!( and just get out there and use it) !!!
ps....i mean really...RUBBER pegs on a man size Adv'er? Sheesh.

NordieBoy
8th August 2008, 18:52
Soundbeltfarm - what is this ballards catalogue of which you speak?

I think I might have a go at belting a bit of steel around the existing peg & welding it on. Anyone done this with success? What size steel do you think would be best?

Ballards OffRoad in Oz http://www.ballards.cc/ but they don't do on-line ordering.

Same thickness steel as the existing pegs should be fine - 3mm or so?

JATZ
8th August 2008, 19:06
Just to clarify - I am a KLR owner and bow down before the mighty DR riders. You great men & women are the salt of the earth -well endowed handsome most fantastic riders there have been ever!! The DR650 is the greatest bike ever invented - ever! Everything about them is as close to perfect as fuck is to swearing. They are so great they don't actually touch the ground they levitate!!!

:girlfight:
Ahhh dry humor, I like it :laugh: Delivered with the subtlety of a sledge hammer:bash:

pete376403
8th August 2008, 19:35
I made some serrated pegs for my F9 kawi by getting a strip of 2" x 1/8" (this was in '72 so imperial measurements, ok?) drilling a row of 3/8" holes down the centre, then sawing down the centre. Bent around a 3/4" socket and welded to pieces of 1/2" square thick wall tube. Drilled for the pivot pin and the resultant "possum traps" were good to go. Tended to chew up the bottom of gumboots a bit, though.

Padmei, don't the the DRibblers get to you, they're just jealous that they have to put a whole load of expensive accessories on their cheap bikes to get it up to the standard of a standard KLR, which tends to raise the price of the cheap DR to someway north of the $9890 odd that the KLR costs off the showroom floor:mellow:

Crisis management
8th August 2008, 19:43
You may have already tried this, but how about wandering to your nearest bike wreckers and sorting thru the pile of junk for a pair of pegs?

If your a bit stuck for wreckers, wherever you are, I can always sort something out from the piles of crap littering the bike shops around here. I'm assuming if it will fit the DR (am I allowed to use that word?) it will suit the KLR...

Let me if I can help.

Iain.

Padmei
8th August 2008, 20:20
Thanks guys I think I will have a go at being an euginnerr - I can't do too much damage with a welder & grinder can I?

Guys I don't have a prob with DR bikes or riders - only ones that deliberately spout shit in what started out as a KLR question thread - they are most welcome to argue in the KLR vs DR thread. I don't think I've seen a bad bike since I've been looking at adv bikes.

Kaituna
8th August 2008, 21:01
Just remember to disconnect the battery cables to protect the Electronics before you weld anything (arc or mig). You don't want to have a nice big green bike that only goes by flinstone power do you?

Padmei
8th August 2008, 21:08
Just remember to disconnect the battery cables to protect the Electronics before you weld anything (arc or mig). You don't want to have a nice big green bike that only goes by flinstone power do you?

:eek5:

While I'm going down my wish list Bark busters or Acerbis Rallypros? I have read warewolfs post regarding breaking levers with them on. Anyone else got any info preference? At the moment my right hand is naked:o

CrazyFrog
8th August 2008, 21:29

Some of those DR650 riders should ride a KTM to see what real performance is about before they slate other 650's too much. With you in spirit brother, I haven't seen anyone else thrash their KLR like you did the other day....and on roadie rubber! Thumbs up!
That should ignite the fires, lookout.....

cooneyr
8th August 2008, 21:35

Remove the footpegs from the bike before welding ???? Just and idea :D

:eek5:

While I'm going down my wish list Bark busters or Acerbis Rallypros? I have read warewolfs post regarding breaking levers with them on. Anyone else got any info preference? At the moment my right hand is naked:o

Moose racing does hand guards (http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1151&level2=1176&level3=1178&level4=1181&product_group_id=5352)over alloy bars (http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1151&level2=1176&level3=1178&level4=1181&product_group_id=5351). They work for me. The hand guards are a soft rubbery plastic rather than the more rigid hard plastic of other brands. They tend to bend and flex back rather than creasing when you have a moment.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
8th August 2008, 21:37
They tend to bend and flex back rather than creasing when you have a moment.

They have been known to crease brakelines however...

JATZ
8th August 2008, 21:42
More than happy to pop into our local wreckers for you if your welding/grinding doesn't work out

cooneyr
8th August 2008, 21:45
They have been known to crease brakelines however...

The lack of brain cells that control the large leg that collected the steel bars which said moose hand guards are attached too are the problem. So the crease was steel bars fault :crazy:

Cheers R

Crisis management
8th August 2008, 21:46
N-Zeta are what I have fitted, a bit cheaper than the Bark busters and while not as aesthetically pleasing are well crash proof (believe me, I've tested them).

pete376403
8th August 2008, 21:59
N-Zeta are a real product or ...??
(For those too young to know better N-Zeta was a NZ assembled C-Z scooter back in the '60's. C-Z was a Czechoslovakian manufacturer AKA Jawa CZ)

NordieBoy
8th August 2008, 22:20
(For those too young to know better N-Zeta was a NZ assembled C-Z scooter back in the '60's. C-Z was a Czechoslovakian manufacturer AKA Jawa CZ)

Zeta would be the ones to look for for the DR/KLR :D

Crisis management
10th August 2008, 11:35

Well that really shows my age....senile dementia and remembering those bikes.

Grovelling appologies, I meant Zeta

pete376403
10th August 2008, 13:35
Well that really shows my age....senile dementia and remembering those bikes.

Grovelling appologies, I meant Zeta
Remembering?? I nearly bought one. Fortunately my dad wouldn't let me, said to wait for something better. Got a Matchless G9 instead, jury is still out on whether that was better or not...

NordieBoy
10th August 2008, 19:55
Remembering?? I nearly bought one. Fortunately my dad wouldn't let me, said to wait for something better. Got a Matchless G9 instead, jury is still out on whether that was better or not...

Well how many Zeta's are being raced now :D

pete376403
10th August 2008, 20:43
Zeta's? As part of other bikes - probably some.
N-Zetas/ No, can't see that happening. Ever
Matchless G9s? - Doubtful, although you may find the factory production racer version of it, the G45, turning up in some classic meetings.
In case you're wondering, the N-Zeta looked like this:
http://www.nzeta.co.nz/index.html

Padmei
11th August 2008, 07:36
Now that's an adventure bike:headbang:

NordieBoy
11th August 2008, 08:03
The air intake for the turbine is huge!

Or is that a headlight?

pete376403
11th August 2008, 15:34
Its actually the fuel tank. The design was swiped from a Torpedo, hence the warhead, right at the front.