PDA

View Full Version : Licensing HELP!!

lewis_walker
16th January 2005, 08:38
Hi,
My wife and I are moving to New Zealand in a few months. :spudwave: I've got my full license, but my wife passed her test on a 125 (two months ago). In the UK, that means that she is restricted to 33bhp for two years. What is the deal when we come to NZ? Do the same rules apply? Or will she be able to ride any bike?

Can someone PLEASE help?!!

Cheers!
Lewis.

hXc
16th January 2005, 08:46
Great stuff to see you moving to the real world! :sunny: :niceone:
Your wife will be restricted to a 250cc or under untill she gets her full. I dont actually know how long that will be because my uncle is getting his learners and will only be on it for 2 months or so then hes on his full. It's an age thing i think.

jrandom
16th January 2005, 08:48
Here you go:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

For the first year after her arrival, she'll be able to ride under the conditions of her UK licence.

After the year expires, she'll need an NZ licence.

My guess would be that her restricted UK license would immediately convert to an NZ restricted license, although she'll need to take a theory test on the NZ Road Code (best to do that as soon as possible after arriving). Then she just has to wait out the usual period (6 months, if she's 25 or older) before taking the NZ full licence practical test.

Telephone the LTSA in NZ to confirm the details, their contact info is on that website.

lewis_walker
16th January 2005, 08:49
My wife is 36 - she passed her full motorcycle test, but like I say - on a 125. How does it work in NZ? In the UK - you are allowed to take your test on a motorcycle exceeding 47bhp. If you do (like I did) then you can ride anything. Otherwise, you are restricted to 33bhp for two years. Is it the same in NZ?

jrandom
16th January 2005, 08:50
Your wife will be restricted to a 250cc or under untill she gets her full. I dont actually know how long that will be because my uncle is getting his learners and will only be on it for 2 months or so then hes on his full. It's an age thing i think.

See the link I posted.

She won't be restricted to a 250cc when she gets here; she'll be restricted to 33bhp, until she converts to an NZ restricted-class licence and rides under that, at which point the restriction *will* be to 250cc.

The LTSA website is the usual source of answers for all questions licencing-related, check it before responding.

jrandom
16th January 2005, 08:50
My wife is 36 - she passed her full motorcycle test, but like I say - on a 125. How does it work in NZ? In the UK - you are allowed to take your test on a motorcycle exceeding 47bhp. If you do (like I did) then you can ride anything. Otherwise, you are restricted to 33bhp for two years. Is it the same in NZ?

Just go have a read of the 'driver licencing' section at http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/index-ltsa.html.

betti
16th January 2005, 10:13
just done the same mate, you and the missus can ride on your uk licenses for 12 months, then she will be allowed to ride a 250, after she has passed a theory test.
you too will have to pass the theory test , there is a seperate one for car and bike if you want to convert your uk licenses to nz ones.
it makes sense to get your nz license, as your insurance excess will be at least double on a uk license.
anymore info you need drop me a line
cheerz, dont worry you'll sail through the theory test once you get your head round the give way rule :niceone:

Aaron
16th January 2005, 10:17
Some driver schools offer advanced rider courses that can take you from a learner to restricted licence through a one day training course. Same applies for your full.

It's my understanding that you can go from none to full licence inside of six weeks, if you're over 25 with a clean driving record (no speeding). :scooter:

sels1
16th January 2005, 21:17
Hi,
My wife and I are moving to New Zealand in a few months.Cheers!
Lewis.

Congrats! Do you have a particular city/area you are coming to?

notme
16th January 2005, 21:20
The above is correct - see www.passrite.co.nz for more details. Passrite are the only organization in NZ currently that can do this AFAIK, I am doing a course with them in a few weeks to go from learners to restricted then restricted to full within a month (if i can afford it - about $400 total!!!) :scooter:
(note.... I don't work for Passrite!)

Aaron
16th January 2005, 21:59
The above is correct - see www.passrite.co.nz for more details.

If you're coming to Christchurch try www.driveschool.co.nz :)

inlinefour
16th January 2005, 23:44
Hi,
My wife and I are moving to New Zealand in a few months. :spudwave: I've got my full license, but my wife passed her test on a 125 (two months ago). In the UK, that means that she is restricted to 33bhp for two years. What is the deal when we come to NZ? Do the same rules apply? Or will she be able to ride any bike?

Can someone PLEASE help?!!

Cheers!
Lewis.

But it could be possible that she will need to sit a NZ licience also at some stage.

outlawtorn
19th January 2005, 13:42
It's my understanding that you can go from none to full licence inside of six weeks, if you're over 25 with a clean driving record (no speeding). :scooter:

Pray tell how is this achieved? I know you can do a course once you have your restricted license which lets you take your full test as soon as, but the whole lot inside of 6 weeks? How?

Cheers

FlyingDutchMan
19th January 2005, 13:54
Pray tell how is this achieved? I know you can do a course once you have your restricted license which lets you take your full test as soon as, but the whole lot inside of 6 weeks? How?

Cheers

Have a look at the driveschool link - it seems the LTSA is trailling a new method for people to get their licences (competency bases instead of time).

Blakamin
19th January 2005, 13:58
Passrite are the only organization in NZ currently that can do this AFAIK,
RideSafe in Wellywood do it too

Blakamin
19th January 2005, 14:01

Cheers
be over 25 with a full cage licence for over 2 years. clean. no infringements at all...

Biff
19th January 2005, 14:44
Welcome from another recently arrived Pom. Something to consider, if you've had your full UK licence for less than 2 years you will still need to sit a written and practical test when you get here.

You will indeed pay more excess if you ride on a UK licence, but mine is only 25% more than if I were riding with a Kiwi licence.

Where are you moving to in NZ?