PDA

View Full Version : Motard style 250's

Storm
16th January 2005, 20:21
Greetings people

Lately I have been thinking of getting myself onto a purpose built motard, or at least a dirt bike with road tyres sort of thing. Being on my restricted, it can only be a 250cc or under. Any one have any advice/experience etc on which bikes are good/lemons, what to look out for etc. Any information would be much appreciated

Chairs

Dion

Skunk
16th January 2005, 21:15
Try a KLX250. Called a D-Tracker in motard clothes. ;)

SPORK
16th January 2005, 21:15
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about as well.

Try looking at XR250r's. They look awesome as well. Sadly they only have a speedo in instruments department, and some idiot lights. They come in Motard trim as well.

That's about all I know, any REAL info about the bike in the way of handling, power and such would be appreciated by me as well.

Lounge Suites,

Nick

Storm
17th January 2005, 15:22
yeah I have the brochure for the XR250L here, and that looks a goer. Just need to find one to get a test ride on one!
Thanks for the info

Coyote
18th January 2005, 09:25
If you want a KLX250, go for the D-Tracker. Not only does it look awesome, but it has 10hp more than the import KLX's from Japan. In Japan, the KLX's have has their engines restricted so they have if I remember correctly about 23hp whilst the D-Tracker has 33hp.

Yamaha have released this year a road legal YZ125. If I hadn't brought the CBR, I would've got that if I were lucky :p.

The D-Tracker is roughly 8000. Masterton Motorcycles when I was last there had one that they fitted with trail tyres and had the road ones aside, and you got them for no extra cash :2thumbsup

The YZ, I'm not sure if you can get it in NZ yet, would be about 12000, possibly 11000.

If you want the power of a 2 stroke, other models worth searching for would be the RMX250 and the KDX200-220. You can get them road legal allthough nice condition examples are rare and pricey (some of the really crappy ones, the dealers ask 6000)

As for 4 strokes, there are many enduro bikes that I think you can get road versions of i.e the Huskys and KTMs

Hope that helps :niceone:

Storm
18th January 2005, 18:23
Thanks for that. I am probably only going to be able to afford a second or more hand bike, so any info on older bikes would be cool also. :niceone:

SPORK
18th January 2005, 18:32
So you think the XR might be for you? To be honest, I want you to get one, or at least test ride one, to see what they are like, so I can also make a good desicion. :)

FzerozeroT
19th January 2005, 06:51
Road and Sport have (had) a D-Tracker when I was there, after coming off race style bikes it's a bit of a change, feck all power (top speed 120ish) butcool fun to ride, bit strange to be riding a dirt bike and the knobblies aren't rolling under on the road. suspension is set really soft so wheelies and stoppies are very smooth. from memory they had $6,500 on it, and only 800k's on the clock.