PDA

View Full Version : My weekend

LB
17th January 2005, 05:18
Started out with a ride to Martinborough on Friday night after work. Lots of melted tar on the Taka's, they were in the process of putting what looked like a mixture of pea gravel and sand on it. (at least they had 30kph signs out to warn us).

Left home 7.15am for Manfeild, weather up the coast was a bit crappy and I got a few spits of rain around Shannon.

Lots of KBers at the track day, good to meet some old faces and some new faces. the weather fined up as the day got on.

Hamish arrived about 2.15pm (He'd had to work in Wgtn till midday) and at about 3.30pm we headed away. Went to Wanganui and up the Paraparas - HEAPS of melted tar, a bit of a pain really. But I'm not complaining about the good weather mind. And HEAPS of loose sheep. Got to National Park around 6pm, then across to Turangi to stay at Anglers Resort motel (Hitcher: a very good recommendation thank you). A little restaurant is part of the motel complex, lovely food. I was really tired, so went to bed basically as soon as we'd finished dinner.

Left Turangi 7.45am Sunday, breakfast at the McCafe in Taupo then across north of Kinloch to SH32 (Western Access) and down to SH41 and across to Taumarunui then down National Park/Paraparas. Not as much melted tar, a dead sheep and a few live ones. A LOVELY day everywhere, stunning views of the mountains, still a lot of snow. We could see across to Egmont on SH41 - it's got heaps of snow too.

Saw heaps of Ulyssians coming from the rally at Taumarunui - any KB'ers wave to a red Monster and a yellow BMW R1100S in the central north island?

A good ride, my M1000 now has 8500kms on it so the 10,000 service will be done in plenty of time for the south island trip in early March. (this trip was around 940kms)

I'd now better give my M800 some riding time, she's starting to get jealous!!

PhilBilly
17th January 2005, 07:44
2 monsters?? im so jealous lol Sounds ya had an awesome weekend, i need to get out more and do big rides. My bike is being un reliable at the moment, hopefully get it back from the shop today.

Skunk
17th January 2005, 08:17
Sounds like a great ride. Glad you had fun. Thanks for the write up (might try that route - if I can convince the wife) :wacko:

Velox
17th January 2005, 22:41
Those two corners up the top of the Rimutakas are so much better now though. Hopefully they'll last longer than last time (about 3 days!). They had got very very dodgey recently and this time they've decided to use bitumen as opposed to chip seal which is good (in a non-tar-slick-loose-gravel, truck-eaten way). Yay!