PDA

View Full Version : New license laws

Tallpom
10th August 2008, 19:27
Does anybody have any idea of when the new license laws will come into effect?

I spoke to 2 people from LTNZ the other day and they said that they had no clue.

Anyone got any 'inside' information?

CB ARGH
10th August 2008, 19:29

Inside AA stores they stock road maps, L plates, and other helpful things.

Hope this helps.

Ixion
10th August 2008, 20:55
Won't be for a while. there's a process that has to be gone through. Conultation, submissions, select committees , etc, y'know democracy and stuff.

And that hasn't started yet, which means it isn't going to make it before the House rises for the electiosn (only about 10 sitting days left).

So, next year. Not early. max.

Steam
10th August 2008, 20:58
Won't be for a while. there's a process that has to be gone through. Conultation, submissions, select committees , etc, y'know democracy and stuff.
I thought it was all below the level of legislation, and so could be done without new laws being passed...

Ixion
10th August 2008, 21:07
Most of it (not all) can be done as regulations or Rules. Still have to go through the process. In a normal year Rules and regulations , process would continue even if the House was adlourned. But this is election year. Once it rises, the policritters will be out of there electioneering.

JMemonic
10th August 2008, 21:07
What Steam said, I have had a look and cant see any bills or draft re the issue.

I remember reading somewhere, someone in the know mentioned October, but there seems to have been nothing for a while now.

Tallpom
10th August 2008, 21:59
My main concern would be buying a 250 only to find that the resale value has dissapeared due to the new laws - will this happen or should I not bother worrying and just get on with it?

Griffin
10th August 2008, 22:07
I guess if there is a questionmark over when the rules / laws will change and your worried about losing money on a 250cc motorbike then one option (dare I suggest it) is to buy a 250cc scooter to do your learners etc on. There will likely always be a market for scooters as they are percieved differently to bikes by the "I drive a car but wanna save money on gas and parking but only on sunny days" crowd and you can probably pick one up pretty cheap.

Once you get through your learners etc. then you can look at getting a larger cc bike. Either that or look for a dirt cheap 250cc bucket and run it into the ground...?

newby
10th August 2008, 22:33
So what actually are these new laws? I havnt heard anything about them before...

Ragingrob
10th August 2008, 22:44
New laws are such as scrapping the 70kph on learners limit which would be damn smart. And opening up the learner/restricted engine CC limit, making it rely on a power to weight ratio so that large engined but heavy cruisers could be an option.

Imbray
11th August 2008, 13:53
I remember reading somewhere, someone in the know mentioned October, but there seems to have been nothing for a while now.

I recall something about Oct 2010 before it would be all up & running in another thread

scott411
11th August 2008, 14:01
it is just in the discussion phaze at the momnet, so we are at least a couple of years away from them coming into effect,

Ixion
11th August 2008, 14:04
It's complicated by the fact that it's election year.

One major delaying factor is that the theory test will need to be rewritten which requires Parliamentary approval. The Minister on his own authority could scrap the 70kph limit. But he couldn't change the theory test to remove the question about the (now defunct) limit. That requires approval of the House. Loony, eh?

The Road Code has to be rewritten too, and that's a slow process. It's all these 'extras' that take the time.

Tallpom
11th August 2008, 15:21
Thanks guys - I don't think I'll worry about it. There's no way I'm fagging around on some scooter. An XR250 or KLX250 will do alright.

Griffin
11th August 2008, 15:40
Thanks guys - I don't think I'll worry about it. There's no way I'm fagging around on some scooter. An XR250 or KLX250 will do alright.

Bummer... I was looking forward to seeing a tall englishman wobbling his way around Stokes Valley :lol:

xwhatsit
11th August 2008, 15:48
Yeah, you'd think something like that would hold its price regardless of the rules, much the same way as a scooter does. People buying small dual-purpose bikes do so regardless of whether they're restricted to them or not -- often they're bought because they're light, reliable, easier to punt around offroad than something 20kg heavier and with more power.

Road bikes on the other hand, there's not many riders out there who appreciate the advantages and fun of a small capacity road bike. Power is all people really worry about -- so you'd have to think that CBR250RR prices will drop like a stone, compared to an XR250.

racefactory
11th August 2008, 18:22
excuse my ignorance but- all i hear is people saying ''new license laws'' in every thread.

but what are these new laws? I couldnt find them.

Tallpom
11th August 2008, 21:10
Bummer... I was looking forward to seeing a tall englishman wobbling his way around Stokes Valley :lol:

yeah, I think that would be quite the sight. Like a circus bear riding a sewing machine.

oscarnz
11th August 2008, 21:12

I spoke to 2 people from LTNZ the other day and they said that they had no clue.

What new licence laws are you talking about??
I may be able to help

pm sent

gunrunner
11th August 2008, 21:49
New laws are such as scrapping the 70kph on learners limit which would be damn smart. And opening up the learner/restricted engine CC limit, making it rely on a power to weight ratio so that large engined but heavy cruisers could be an option.

I think they are looking at going that way with cars aswell with these imports with turbos etc:rockon:

BIHB@0610
11th August 2008, 21:57
What new licence laws are you talking about??
I may be able to help

pm sent

share?? :hug:

racefactory
12th August 2008, 07:33
excuse my ignorance but- all i hear is people saying ''new license laws'' in every thread.

but what are these new laws? I couldnt find them.

Anyone actually know what the ''new license laws'' that's seen in so many threads but doesnt say exactly what they are?

Morcs
12th August 2008, 13:04

Change that avatar.
Bloody blue shit desecrating KB...

Tallpom
12th August 2008, 13:52
"Change that avatar.
Bloody blue shit desecrating KB..."

I thought that might draw the united supporters out of the woodwork.