PDA

View Full Version : Music Video Ride Sunday 23rd Jan

DarkNinja
17th January 2005, 08:26
Please Note I Have Changed the time earlier so we can catch some suzuki shots
Hey guys,
as you all may know, i am in the process of making a music video as an assignment for my course at Natcoll design technology. I will post up the other thread link in a moment.
My music video obviously is going to be based on motorcycling. It is to be a three minute long video clip and about 1 minute of that will be taken up by stuff that i am doing at home for it etc.
So the ride will be on Sunday 23rd Jan meeting at Wellington Motorcycles at 9:00 am, leave at 10:30
We will be heading over the rimutakas to the flyng fish and taking the long way home round somewhere.
This will pretty much be a normal ride but this is the plan of shooting for the video.
1: if you come, you have to let me film your bikes all in a line at some stage.
2: you have to let me film you all coming round a couple of corners etc
3: at the flying fish, i would like to do a short interview on a few people (5-10) pretty much asking what you love about biking, and what is great about the community of biking
4: if you want to do stunts, then ill film a couple of you but it wont be compulsory
This should be all i need. hopefully someone else can help me fill in the gaps on what routes to take but it should be all in all a great day.
Thanks,
DN

DarkNinja
17th January 2005, 08:31
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7501

StoneChucker
17th January 2005, 11:30
That sounds like fun, will have the bike on Fri :) Will also try some small "stunts", but I don't do interviews haha. Here's hoping for good weather. :cold:

Sparky Bills
17th January 2005, 14:41
Sounds like a plan.
If im down here and not up there, I will be keen!
will keep you posted!

Ms Piggy
17th January 2005, 17:01
Is it only for the faster riders? Or can newer/slower riders come along? :o

Coyote
17th January 2005, 17:48
Can L plates go along or do we have to take them off :p

DarkNinja
17th January 2005, 18:45
Well its not looking good guys. went out to go to work after tech today and it looks like either another biker has knocked my bike over pulling out or its blown over in the wind after the person next to me left. it was up the top of the lie and fell over. footpeg broke off, brake lever broke off, handlebar bent into the tank. not cool. But some kind soul piked up my bike from off the ground and put my broken bits in a bag tucked under the seat. thanks whoever.
As far as the plan goes i will now be taking my car. i will just be a little slower, but thats ok
Everyone is welcome guys, i dont care how fast/slow learner/full you are, its all about the community :D

Sparky Bills
17th January 2005, 18:57
SHIT!
Sorry to hear about that dude.
Hope it gets all fixed without too much delay.
Keep us posted on the weekend.

jimbo600
17th January 2005, 19:08
Hey guys,
as you all may know, i am in the process of making a music video as an assignment for my course at Natcoll design technology. I will post up the other thread link in a moment.
My music video obviously is going to be based on motorcycling. It is to be a three minute long video clip and about 1 minute of that will be taken up by stuff that i am doing at home for it etc.
So the ride will be on Sunday 23rd Jan meeting at Wellington Motorcycles at 9:30 am, leave at 10am
We will be heading over the rimutakas to the flyng fish and taking the long way home round somewhere.
This will pretty much be a normal ride but this is the plan of shooting for the video.
1: if you come, you have to let me film your bikes all in a line at some stage.
2: you have to let me film you all coming round a couple of corners etc
3: at the flying fish, i would like to do a short interview on a few people (5-10) pretty much asking what you love about biking, and what is great about the community of biking
4: if you want to do stunts, then ill film a couple of you but it wont be compulsory
This should be all i need. hopefully someone else can help me fill in the gaps on what routes to take but it should be all in all a great day.
Thanks,
DN

Hey Dark, you realise that there is a Suzuki oners club ride that day also departing from Caltex Rimataka at 10:00 and heading in the same direction. You should just combine with that. The Club ride is open to all makes of bikes. More bikes the better eh?

toads
17th January 2005, 20:52
Well its not looking good guys. went out to go to work after tech today and it looks like either another biker has knocked my bike over pulling out or its blown over in the wind after the person next to me left. it was up the top of the lie and fell over. footpeg broke off, brake lever broke off, handlebar bent into the tank. not cool. But some kind soul piked up my bike from off the ground and put my broken bits in a bag tucked under the seat. thanks whoever.
As far as the plan goes i will now be taking my car. i will just be a little slower, but thats ok
Everyone is welcome guys, i dont care how fast/slow learner/full you are, its all about the community :D

oh what a bummer, I hope you get your bike back into order soon, the biggest hassle to fix is the dent in the tank eh, that really sucks

StoneChucker
17th January 2005, 20:57
oh what a bummer, I hope you get your bike back into order soon, the biggest hassle to fix is the dent in the tank eh, that really sucks
Dents Plus I think was the name. They came to my house, and pulled the dent out of my old CBR250's tank. It looked as new. Quite cheap too.

Velox
17th January 2005, 22:54
Ooh - did you know that the X-Games are on in Wgtn that day aswell?! And on Sat, but the Freestyle MotoX final will be on Sun - can't remember when but I think it's early afternoon maybe. Should be an awesome day to be down at the waterfront!

LB
18th January 2005, 04:31
Really sorry to hear about your bike DN, that's not good.

I'll be in Tokaanu at the Ducati Rally, otherwise I would have been keen as mustard.

I would have been happy to give a short interview (given how quiet and shy I am, and how I really don't talk very much.....)

Hope it all goes well for you.

PhilBilly
18th January 2005, 05:05
Ill be in, thats if i get me bike back from shop by then

Ms Piggy
18th January 2005, 07:16
Stink about your bike mate. I saw your post, must've been some fierce winds yesterday aye!

I wonder if the Council workers were going around cleaning up b/c as I say there was no glass by my bike.

See ya Sunday :2thumbsup Btw - will there be a public viewing?

Skunk
18th January 2005, 07:32
I would have been happy to give a short interview (given how quiet and shy I am, and how I really don't talk very much.....):killingme

Paul in NZ
18th January 2005, 08:32
I know it's none of my damn business but if I can be so bold as to make a suggestion? (and who can stop at 1)

This time of the year getting bikers together in one spot is a tricky business at best. I'd take the opportunity to hook up with the Suzuki club ride and I would also check out the Hog club thread as well.

3 mins of Video is a long time if you are just taking short clips. If you want to splice a longer bit together the quality has to be a lot better. etc etc so I think your idea of interviews is a good one but.....

Since your bike is currently US (sorry to hear that btw - bloody windy yesterday) why not think outside the square and see if you can get some kind soul to take you as a pillion on that ride allowing you to film from the saddle? (volunteer please)

or.

Perhaps we could sort something out where we could use a station wagon (like my Magna) to putter along going up the hill, tail gate up, you in the back filming as the Suzuki riders pull in behind pause, then pull out to pass?

(actually thats far to freaking dangerous on the hill but out around Gladstone would be OK)

Then

We could do a few selected shots with you hanging out a widow as we passed them (sedately - it's a magna)

As well

We could find a volunteer to strap the camera to their bike for a few bits of video going over the hill? (lets do that last eh!)

Come on folks. A couple of volunteers to help this guy out with a educational project..... I'll help in what ever way I can (christ I'll take a day off during the week to do some of it as it would be safer)

I'll pay for a blank DVD for everyone that stars in the thing (limit myself to $100 - OK) and burn copies at work if no one else can.

I'll arrange for a projector or a big plasma and we can have a movie premier?

Come on you bunch of bloody slackers. :ar15: This is your only chance for lasting fame in your whole sad freakin lives! And you can help some one get an edumacation so they don't end up like me! ;)

Paul N

Coyote
18th January 2005, 08:52
Could I meet up with ya at Caltex Rimutaka?

DarkNinja
18th January 2005, 09:36
Cheers Paul, i had thought of the pillion ideas etc but thought it may be too late to organise something.
I've rung TSS this morning and it looks promising to get parts in the next coupla days, but i better not jinx myself.
My original idea was to film outside of the car but then thought it would be too slow (it IS a piece of crap) to keep in front of the bikers
What time are the suzuki riders meeting up?
Not too sure about strapping the camera :S i am liable if it breaks because its Natcolls own. Mind you it is quite little.
Im quite liking this idea now Paul.
I'm bored today so ill try writing up some kind of a plan for it

Paul in NZ
18th January 2005, 11:17
Look I'd be more than willing to place you on the Guzzi pillion but it's a slow old bone shaker and you would not get a decent picture. Not to mention the prehistoric electrical system (copied from an deranged electric eel) that would probably scramble the cameras brain (assuming the vibes didn't first).

I do have an old open face helmet you could bolt stuff too though. And I'll donate the Magna s/w and a tank of gas as the camera car.

Come on folks. Some one else must have ideas or be willing to help. This guy wants a clip about the bike community! Not an anthem to apathy!

We need a nice big smoooothhhh boofy bike with grunt and a decent experienced rider.. Oh! Something like an STX1300.... Who do we know like that?

Paul N

Worst comes to worst we remove the screen from the Mk2's fairing and lasso the camera to the tank bag pad for an over the handlebars shot of me being passed by every Suzuki known to man.

Don't forget the HOG Poker run. Must be 3 hours of footage in that!

White trash
18th January 2005, 11:27
What time are the suzuki riders meeting up?

10:00am at Caltex Rimutaka.

Riff Raff
18th January 2005, 11:31
We could do a few selected shots with you hanging out a widow
Ummmmmmmmmmm........ errrr......... yikes! :shifty:

Blakamin
18th January 2005, 12:27
any "during the week" stuff, let me know... might be able to ride over sunday arvo (depending on work) or maybe "volunteer" the barbie van in the arvo if it's needed for anything

Paul in NZ
18th January 2005, 14:33
Ummmmmmmmmmm........ errrr......... yikes! :shifty:

Yeah OK - a WINDOW!

Sheesh! One little mistake..... :killingme

Paul N

sels1
18th January 2005, 15:28
any "during the week" stuff, let me know...

Yeah me too, with a little notice

Should be ok for the Sunday bit. Dont mind if you want to pillion for a while. Have a topbox you might be able to tape a camera on for some shots?

DarkNinja
18th January 2005, 16:15
Its actually Looking heaps more promising that i will have my bike up and ready :banana: WOHOO!
I will take you up on the offer of strapping the camera to the givi box or something sels1 (reminder to self, buy duct tape) thanks for the offer.
Will foam wrapped around it in copious amounts keep it reletively safe in a fall?
I think i should be ok without a car Paul but thanks for the offer, if my bike gets up and running i'll see if a tankcam works. just gave myself ideas that are positive towards me being slow while 600s Wheelie past me.
Looks like its going to be a good day. All and all i just want it to be fun for everyone and not drag on or anything.
Cheers
DN

DarkNinja
18th January 2005, 16:18
Could I meet up with ya at Caltex Rimutaka?
Sure thing, maybe the same time as the suzi's?

White trash
18th January 2005, 16:22
I will take you up on the offer of strapping the camera to the givi box or something sels1 (reminder to self, buy duct tape) thanks for the offer.

DN

More than welcome to strap it to the front or back of the gixxer if you wanna see what the road looks like at #%@kph speeds as well.

Slipstream
18th January 2005, 16:49
More than welcome to strap it to the front or back of the gixxer if you wanna see what the road looks like at #%@kph speeds as well.

You know sky won't be that interesting to watch .... even at #%@kph speeds. :(

DarkNinja
18th January 2005, 17:16
The word 'g-force' springs to mind

PhilBilly
18th January 2005, 21:23
Im sure i can rig up some more bikers as well. Hope the weather holds out (opps touch wood)

Ms Piggy
18th January 2005, 21:47
All and all i just want it to be fun for everyone and not drag on or anything.
Cheers
DN

Motorbikes, people and a camera - it couldn't be anything else but fuuuuuun! :2thumbsup I'm looking forward to it!

sels1
18th January 2005, 21:47
I'll arrange for a projector or a big plasma and we can have a movie premier?

Paul N

Yay! another party at pauls place! :) :)

Hey Paul, want to meet up for the ride over? PM or phone

Paul in NZ
19th January 2005, 14:04
Yay! another party at pauls place! :) :)

Hey Paul, want to meet up for the ride over? PM or phone

Sounds good. I have some things to tweak on the bike and if I go it could likely be a 2 up I'm afraid with Vickster. (hang on, she might be doing her garden trail thing...)

I'm sick as a bloody dog today! :sick:

Should be on the mend!

Coyote
20th January 2005, 08:11
Is this ride still on?

DarkNinja
20th January 2005, 15:32
Yes its all go no matter what.. apart from if the weather is shite. im at school at the moment but i will go home and scan in my storyboard so you guys can get a general idea of whats going to happen. there may be a few cases of 'let me go in front' just so i can get the camera ready. But it is looking promising, all i need is a handlebar and im (fixed) away laughing!
WOHOOO....
Taped my friends' film lastnight he was doing skateboarding which he hasnt done in about 3 years so he hurt himself quite badly. but ive decided im gonna risk it and tape the camera to the back of the bike, along with some polystyrene, duct tape, trailer straps and bungee cords. that thing aint going nowhere.
See you on sunday :yes: :2thumbsup :rockon:

Ms Piggy
20th January 2005, 19:16
Sorry guys but I can't make now :disapint: We had some glitches when repainting the bike today and I need to go and sort it our on Sunday. :yes:

Have a great ride - I might come and say 'Gidday' at WMC anyway and wave you all off :bye:

StoneChucker
20th January 2005, 20:19
Sorry guys but I can't make now :disapint: We had some glitches when repainting the bike today and I need to go and sort it our on Sunday. :yes:

Have a great ride - I might come and say 'Gidday' at WMC anyway and wave you all off :bye:
I knew already, but I'll miss ya. It's been AGES since I've ridden with you.
Oh well, there's always another day.

Paul in NZ
20th January 2005, 21:19
Dude (Sounds funny when an old geezer says that)

Check your times. I think the suzuki guys are leaving from Caltex Rimutakas at 10 not WMC.

Please confirm.

I need a oil line testing ride before I change the front main seal... Could be fun!

Paul N

DarkNinja
20th January 2005, 21:59
yeah i have changed the times for the start of the post. sorry i forgot to tell everyone but the meeting time at WMC is now 9am, leave 9:20am
i should have posted earlier but ive been flat out all week, you know, school, work etc :S
Paul - if i am able to pick up my bike 2morrow i will be going to a test ride up the rimutakas to get used to the road, ive never been up before. but if you want to go as far as to go up and down and back up and back down the takas then i could take a ride with yer.

Paul in NZ
21st January 2005, 05:53
yeah i have changed the times for the start of the post. sorry i forgot to tell everyone but the meeting time at WMC is now 9am, leave 9:20am
i should have posted earlier but ive been flat out all week, you know, school, work etc :S
Paul - if i am able to pick up my bike 2morrow i will be going to a test ride up the rimutakas to get used to the road, ive never been up before. but if you want to go as far as to go up and down and back up and back down the takas then i could take a ride with yer.

Could be tricky time wise...

I have spend an enjoyable evening tinkering with the Guzzi but today looks like a bad one. Vicki is coming into town for a funeral and that means I will be dragged around bars and stuff as a part of the wake / grieving etc. Saturday is a bit full up already so we could have a problem with test rides.

Luckily I have not done anything tricky to La Guzzi so should be sweet for sunday.

I'll meet you at Caltex Rimutaka if thats OK. Less distance from Raumati.

Cheers

DarkNinja
21st January 2005, 07:06
Thats ok Paul, i forgot my boots today so even if i do get my bike back ill have to go home and get them :S
Ive attached here my storyboard, hopefully my handwriting is legible enough to make it out slightly, but the pictures should be helpful enough.

Arg i cant upload them... must be the firewall at tech. ill do it tonight guys, sorry :S

Paul in NZ
21st January 2005, 10:03
If you don't get your bike back let me know what plan B is.

I'm sure we can work something out.

Paul N

Ms Piggy
21st January 2005, 10:36
I knew already, but I'll miss ya. It's been AGES since I've ridden with you.
Oh well, there's always another day.
Always! :2thumbsup Hmmmmmm...9am on a Sunday :thud: I might just wave you all off from my bed.

ajturbo
21st January 2005, 11:21
Always! :2thumbsup Hmmmmmm...9am on a Sunday :thud: I might just wave you all off from my bed.

why?
riding the bike will help the paint to dry faster!!

take you doggy for a swim in stead then........ :lol:

DarkNinja
21st January 2005, 20:05
How many differnt ways can i say wohoo, i got my bike back from the great guys at TSS motorcycles, awesome people, great service, and even offered to buy my bike when i want a 600. Eventually
so its all back on, ill set the camera up tonight and test it and hopefully its all good, woot, cya sunday

PhilBilly
22nd January 2005, 07:24
Hahaha awesome dude, must be better to take the bike rather than be in a cage

Coyote
22nd January 2005, 17:24
Sure thing, maybe the same time as the suzi's?
When will you go past Caltex?

StoneChucker
22nd January 2005, 18:36
When will you go past Caltex?
Around 10am? In time to meet up with the Shitzuki club ride...

StoneChucker
22nd January 2005, 18:39
How many differnt ways can i say wohoo, i got my bike back from the great guys at TSS motorcycles, awesome people, great service, and even offered to buy my bike when i want a 600. Eventually
so its all back on, ill set the camera up tonight and test it and hopefully its all good, woot, cya sunday

Good on them. I've never used them for any servicing, but I did a maintanance refresher course for the hell of it. They seem to be a great bunch of guys, with the essence of good customer service at heart. They also have free pickup in most local areas! :niceone:

Skunk
22nd January 2005, 18:40
Around 10am? In time to meet up with the Shitzuki club ride...You're gonna get slapped for that I think! :yes:
Good to see your've got ya bike back... ya coming tomorrow?

StoneChucker
22nd January 2005, 19:03
You're gonna get slapped for that I think! :yes:
Good to see your've got ya bike back... ya coming tomorrow?
I'll be there. Say hi when you see me, I don't recognise many KB'ers otherwise.

I'm on the Red R1, Black Spyke Jacket and Red helmet with NEW silver tinted visor. I am the man :banana:

Riff Raff
22nd January 2005, 19:06
I am the man :banana:
What's with all you Wellingtonions and your egos at the moment?

Coyote
22nd January 2005, 19:09
Around 10am? In time to meet up with the Shitzuki club ride...
I'll hopefully see you then :niceone:

[EDIT] Scratch that, Dads not going to let me go

Sparky Bills
22nd January 2005, 19:10

We just tell it as it is!! :Punk:

Skunk
22nd January 2005, 19:30
What's with all you Wellingtonions and your egos at the moment?Mines fine. :bleh:

Skunk
22nd January 2005, 19:32
I'll be there. Say hi when you see me, I don't recognise many KB'ers otherwise.

I'm on the Red R1, Black Spyke Jacket and Red helmet with NEW silver tinted visor. I am the man :banana:I *know* what you look like.
A hairdresser! :bleh: Ya got the car for it. (And the handcuffs :Pokey: ).

jimbo600
22nd January 2005, 19:34

We just got it going on down here that's all.

GSVR
22nd January 2005, 20:19
How far north is this ride heading?

Can you post approximate route so I can join in the ride

jimbo600
22nd January 2005, 20:30
How far north is this ride heading?

Can you post approximate route so I can join in the ride

From Featherston we're going to Martinborough (flying fish) for coffee, then it's to Riversdale via tablelands, gladstone, Masterton (refuel). Rtn to Upperhutt via Masterton then SH2 back to Upperhutt concluding at the Rimataka Tavern.

Any probs give me a call on 027 434 8598

Cheers

GSVR
22nd January 2005, 20:33
From Featherston we're going to Martinborough (flying fish) for coffee, then it's to Riversdale via tablelands, gladstone, Masterton (refuel). Rtn to Upperhutt via Masterton then SH2 back to Upperhutt concluding at the Rimataka Tavern.

Any probs give me a call on 027 434 8598

Cheers

Ok great thanks for you help.

Paul in NZ
22nd January 2005, 20:39

Yes! This excess modesty must stop!

Paul N

(probably just excitement at surviving the earthquakes)

Groins_NZ
22nd January 2005, 20:46
Did you just feel that earthquake?

http://www.geonet.org.nz/x2354877g_l.html

Anyway, hopefully not so many cars on the road tomorrow as there was today!

G.

DarkNinja
22nd January 2005, 22:34
Orright for all you late goers i hope theres gonna be someone at wellington motorcycles :S heaps of you are meeting at rimutakas.
Heres the plan for 2morrow morning:
9am Meet wellington motorcycles debrief (this) then
9:15 Film bikes all in a row etc (you will see my storyboard)
9:30 leave for caltex rimutakas.
Filming of bikes leaving
9:35 stop at the westpac stadium carpark so i can start my camera. then head onto the motorway.
Filming of bikes BEHIND ME then splitting in either lanes or whatever to pass me
9:45 stop at the BP on the hutt to turn off my camera. Give me a 5-10 minute head start or just go slow so i can get to caltex rimutakas to film you arriving
9:55 stop at caltex rimutaka. fill up
10:05? when the suzi guys leave, also leave
film everybody leaving
10:15 take on the rimutakas. i will stop to turn on my camera but the rest of you can go ahead if you want coz i pretty much just want to film the journey.
10:40ish stop at bottom of rimutakas to turn off camera.
11? meet at flying fish, get a shot of everyone walking inside.
11-12 while having/after lunch, quick interviews with about 10 people on why they like motorcycling, and whats to great abou tthe community of riding.
12? when we leave, get a shot of everyone leaving, wait for me so i can now enjoy the ride and not worry about shooting the camera.
later on when im coming home i will film the trip over the haywards back.

So in conclusion it would be great if about 5 of you turned up to welly motorcycles, cheers :D

StoneChucker
23rd January 2005, 07:31
I hope the weather holds out. It's looking a little overcast here in the Hutt. But it did yesterday too when I left, and it turned out to be a cracker.

Coyote
23rd January 2005, 08:59
You guys have fun :weep:

DarkNinja
23rd January 2005, 16:21
..To all that came today. Thanks to WT, CSL and the other guys who i cant remember your names for hanging with me from welly motorcycles to caltex. thanks to all who got captured on the film and i will edit out your numberplates if they are in there :S
A big thanks to Paul, sels1, and whitetrash for letting me interview you guys.
And a big huge thanks to paul, vicky and sels1 for chasing me when i took the wrong turn (or not turn) and who put up with me and my unclutchness coz it broke at the flying fish.
I had a look at the footage and it seems pretty good so it should be alright for the movie :D
So all and all it was a really good day although i am quite shagged as ive had almost no sleep this week :blink:
Thanks again to everyone and i will get back to you all about the great unveiling. :soon:
DN :apint:

Paul in NZ
23rd January 2005, 16:49
Well that was a nice ride!

Some highlights of our trip at the back!

Sels1 arrived bang on time to leave from our place (very BMWish). We had gas aleady so a quick flip around the block to wake up the dinosaur and we were off.

Steady progress over the hill, Vicki was with me so it was not just my limbs I was risking any more. Passed the neighbour in his people mover just after the lookout. He seemed a bit miffed he was not on his bike!

Good turnout at Caltex Rimutakas. One nutter in a big black people mover was determined to offer some strident advice to one poor rider about some irresponsible behaviour back down the road. Very odd as he had the wrong person etc etc. I slunk off happy that the loonie didn't have a go at me this time and we left pretty well on time with the fast guys leading the way and us slow and steadies bringing up the rear (oh err) in heavy to stupid traffic. (sigh) Still, progress was made and not much drama was encountered except the wind was getting up.

Coffee and a muffin at the Fish was very nice and I was interviewed by Mr Dark Ninja (our own budding Peter Jackson). The fast guys left and we made to follow but Dark Ninja's clutch cable went snap! (dang) So I gave him a push off and he rode very well without it.

The plan was to point him to the turn off to Riversdale Beach....

That was the plan!

But the excitement of the broken cable, me admiring that slick Yam 650 Special and the 1200SS pointing the wrong way at the first corner out of town was all too much. I saw the marks, guessed what happened, hope they were OK but they had someone with them and waved us on! I felt a bit stink about that - not stopping but within 5 mins I was happy to alive as I caugh a birdy on the helmut! Less mess than a bug (ie almost none) but quite a solid thwack!

Anyway! We were well behind everyone else so time to press on!

At the first turn off Dark Ninja mistook my earlier excellent and concise directions (well that's my story eh) and went straight on! Yes, the sign does say 'the coast' but it quickly turns to gravel and he had no clutch so Sels one and I chased him down to turn him around. Best fun we had all day!

It was getting late now so we abandoned all hope of Riversdale and decided Lunch for Vicki and I, (Dark Ninja joined us) and Sels1 went to check out his family up the road.

After lunch, Mr Dark headed home (got home OK?) and we headed to the Paua Shell factor for an hour of husband tormenting (sigh) followed by a nice cruise home over a now VERY windy Rimutaka hill so we took it gently!

At the bottom of the hill we found Sels1 so we hooked up for the hill road.

On River rd Sels1 was leading when I saw a silver grey falcon 'keeping station' behind us. I had a funny feeling about it so I was very light on the throttle and scrupulous about my behaviour.

It shadowed us over the Haywards.... Hmmmmm

Sels1 snuck past a Corrola on double yellows (without crossing them) but the road narrowed so I was being careful NOT to pass as I was getting obsessed with this bloody car.

It followed us through the roundabout and didn't turn off down Greys Rd. (damn)

We passed a car or 2 but always behaving reasonably.

Halfway through, 2 boy racers coming the other way passed us at light speed. One was in his grannies car and his tyre were nearly peeling off the rims as he tried to keep it on his side of the track. Where we met him if he had lost it I would not be writing this. Fark it was close. Wanker!

The Falcon behind us did nothing so I supposed it was (after all) just a Falcon... So I was happy to stretch the throttle a little more but not much as I was getting tired (hey I'm OLD OK). Eventually we got to the Paekakareiki turn off with Mr falcon right behind us (whats up with this $%#$ing car)

A break in the traffic and we are OFF! Varrroooommmmm.... But quickly back to the limit because this #$@king car is stalking me!

Raumati Straights.... 100kph on the vague liar and the Falcoon slips past....

HA! More stuff in the dashboard that most falcons by a long way! Lights in the rear window, extra antenna. Plain clothes car! (good save) Driver looks over and smiles and I'm laughing in my helmut! Ha!

Bloody good day out really!

Bikes going OK, oil leak is reduced and all the fixing I did stayed fixed!

Purfeckt

Paul N

GSVR
23rd January 2005, 17:27
Got to the Flying Fish at 11.45am and missed everyone. Had a Coffee and headed back to the Airshow. About 40 bikes where parked up there.

When I left I passed a group of bikes heading south in Masterton. I assume they were the SMRK group. Blue Yamaha R1 , Someone on a green GPZ/Z1000 ?

Great days riding next time I'll try to get away on time and actually get to a regrouping point.

Regards

Velox
23rd January 2005, 17:49
Sounds like fun guys! Sorry I couldn't come and play too. Saw a guy on an ag do a massive jump into the lagoon at the X-Air though!
DN - Let us all know when the vid's finished!
Paul - Good to see that being wary of dodgey looking cars pays off - I'm always trying to work out if any semi-flash car near me is a cop.

Ms Piggy
23rd January 2005, 18:42
..To all that came today. Thanks to WT, CSL and the other guys who i cant remember your names for hanging with me from welly motorcycles to caltex. thanks to all who got captured on the film and i will edit out your numberplates if they are in there :S
A big thanks to Paul, sels1, and whitetrash for letting me interview you guys.
And a big huge thanks to paul, vicky and sels1 for chasing me when i took the wrong turn (or not turn) and who put up with me and my unclutchness coz it broke at the flying fish.
I had a look at the footage and it seems pretty good so it should be alright for the movie :D
So all and all it was a really good day although i am quite shagged as ive had almost no sleep this week :blink:
Thanks again to everyone and i will get back to you all about the great unveiling. :soon:
DN :apint:
Nice to meet ya DN and I look forward to seeing the footage :2thumbsup

Great to catch up with everyone else at Caltex Rimutakas even though I didn't come on the ride. What a fantastic turnout!

Blakamin
23rd January 2005, 19:15
One nutter in a big black people mover was determined to offer some strident advice to one poor rider about some irresponsible behaviour back down the road. Very odd as he had the wrong person etc etc. I slunk off happy that the loonie didn't have a go at me this time
I know who the "loonie" was..... :pinch:

Paul in NZ
23rd January 2005, 19:38
I know who the "loonie" was..... :pinch:

Sorry. Anyone that parks like that in the entrance of the service station and berates people, no mater how well minded or qualified is a loonie. The flecks of froth at the mouth didn't help.

Blakamin
23rd January 2005, 19:39
Sorry. Anyone that parks like that in the entrance of the service station and berates people, no mater how well minded or qualified is a loonie. The flecks of froth at the mouth didn't help.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

et al
23rd January 2005, 20:33
Not sure if he was a "Loonie" however he was very agitated that apparently one of us had done something silly in front of him and he wanted to make a point. Told us he "used to ride himself and someone should take whoever it was aside and give them a stern lecture" type of thing. I indicated towards his 4 wheel drive tossy thing and told him that idiots drive those as well and basically you get idiots anywhere and can't do much about it unless he had a plate and definitely knew who he should be venting his anger on. Not sure if I helped calm him down much but he put on a bit of a show for his Mrs and kids so hopefully he enjoyed the rest of his day trapped in the cage while us free spirits had a much less miserable time.

Paul in NZ
23rd January 2005, 20:41
Not sure if he was a "Loonie" however he was very agitated that apparently one of us had done something silly in front of him and he wanted to make a point. Told us he "used to ride himself and someone should take whoever it was aside and give them a stern lecture" type of thing. I indicated towards his 4 wheel drive tossy thing and told him that idiots drive those as well and basically you get idiots anywhere and can't do much about it unless he had a plate and definitely knew who he should be venting his anger on. Not sure if I helped calm him down much but he put on a bit of a show for his Mrs and kids so hopefully he enjoyed the rest of his day trapped in the cage while us free spirits had a much less miserable time.

agitated = loonie

Maybe not a permanent and certifiable one but would you like to have ridden past him on a red bike when he was in that state of mind?

et al
23rd January 2005, 20:52
Anyway......... enjoyed the ride today, good for me and the bike - the Hornet has now clocked up 1700k so is well and truly run in now, and does feel a bit looser. Hope no serious personal injuries (the bike was a little trashed) eventuate from the guy and young lady who had the off outside Martinborough - I think they were still running on andrelain when we left them. Does anyone know if the GS1200 rider is a member on this site and/or if they are OK? I have heard of at least one other similar accident at that corner - maybe a combination of cold tyres and the fact that it is a 90 degree corner just when you are thinking about "nailing it out of town" might have some bearing on it - maybe there should be one of those big arrow boards there.

sels1
23rd January 2005, 21:03
Hope no serious personal injuries (the bike was a little trashed) eventuate from the guy and young lady who had the off outside Martinborough - I think they were still running on andrelain when we left them. Does anyone know if the GS1200 rider is a member on this site and/or if they are OK?.

Hell, I hadnt realised they had binned - too busy focusing on the corner myself - just saw them briefly,waved, and thought "funny place to park...."
I was talking to the guy at Caltex, he asked what the bike group was and was it ok to tag along so I gave him some info and said sure join in. It was his daughter he had with him. Hope they are ok.

DarkNinja
23rd January 2005, 21:06
i felt like a dick because i stopped at the BP on the hutt motorway to 'turn off my camera - and realised it wasnt on so i had missed all the recording from welly motorcycles. i was pissed so i decided to boot it through to caltex to get some if any footage before we left. admitedly i was stupid and started lane splitting at insane speeds. i always remember andrew templeton from roadsafe talking about one of his students doing that and he pulled in beside him and told him off. well lady luck took a day off today and it was quite scary that i was thinking about it. andrew stopped me at caltex and talked to me about my lane splitting and how he didnt want to see me doing it again. fair enough, i wasnt planning on doing it again it was stupid enough already, but he was fair, told me to take care and was on his way.
Good man that one. i certainly dont want to lose my licence as im on the CBTA prog :S

StoneChucker
23rd January 2005, 21:11
Hell, I hadnt realised they had binned - too busy focusing on the corner myself - just saw them briefly,waved, and thought "funny place to park...."
I was talking to the guy at Caltex, he asked what the bike group was and was it ok to tag along so I gave him some info and said sure join in. It was his daughter he had with him. Hope they are ok.

I've ridden with him/daughter once before I think. That corner is unusual. It is rather sharp, quite deceptive and has a strange camber. I hope she isn't put off motorcycling. A few mins after the accident, I think it set in. He was pretty shakey. I have some pics of it, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post, since he's not a member here, and has no say... what you reckon?

He left a long trail of oil from the point he hit the tar, to the kerb. I stood in it and had to take it easy walking for a few steps! I reckon the bike is near a writeoff.

sels1
23rd January 2005, 21:21
Well nice day out. Good to see everybody and DN, happy to help out.

Crafty mufti cars - glad you spotted him Paul, I was wondering why you didnt seem in any hurry to catch up. As for those 2 boy racers - one of those moments when you think "this could be it...." I thought his tyre was going to peel off on that corner and he would be flying straight at me.

heres a couple of pics from Caltex meeting. I think the guy who binned is the 2nd from the left in the No.2 photo if anyone knows him.

Paul in NZ
23rd January 2005, 21:46
I've ridden with him/daughter once before I think. That corner is unusual. It is rather sharp, quite deceptive and has a strange camber. I hope she isn't put off motorcycling. A few mins after the accident, I think it set in. He was pretty shakey. I have some pics of it, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post, since he's not a member here, and has no say... what you reckon?

He left a long trail of oil from the point he hit the tar, to the kerb. I stood in it and had to take it easy walking for a few steps! I reckon the bike is near a writeoff.

Bugger! Now I feel double stink!

Bugger of a corner. From memory there is a driveway that leads the eye to belive the road goes straight on? Or is that the next one?

Well we all make mistakes, glad it was not his last one and I hope they are OK.

Paul N

Thinks - maybe we ought to have a way of dealing with this sort of stuff on rides??

StoneChucker
23rd January 2005, 22:02
I'll post some pics, if only to educate one person about one corner of one road, of one island in NZ :)

While my phone e-mails them, any objections should be voiced quick-smart

theknightrider
23rd January 2005, 22:25
Well nice day out. Good to see everybody and DN, happy to help out.

Crafty mufti cars - glad you spotted him Paul, I was wondering why you didnt seem in any hurry to catch up. As for those 2 boy racers - one of those moments when you think "this could be it...." I thought his tyre was going to peel off on that corner and he would be flying straight at me.

heres a couple of pics from Caltex meeting. I think the guy who binned is the 2nd from the left in the No.2 photo if anyone knows him.

Well fuck me who the fuck is the homo in red leathers who has filled his ill fitting suit with queer guano.

StoneChucker
23rd January 2005, 22:34
This is just out of Martinborough, on the road to Gladstone, still in the 50 zone as you pass the Golf Course. (Where the players signal you to do wheelies haha)...

Pics show the corner, and the bike. Hard to pinpoint exactly what caused the accident, could have been something on the road, not knowing the corner, anything so I won't speculate.

If these should be removed, let me know and I'll do so immediately.
*EDIT* Took out full pic of bike. Will leave partial pic of side damage. I don't know if I'd want my bike on the net without saying so?...

et al
23rd January 2005, 22:38
Bugger! Now I feel double stink!

Bugger of a corner. From memory there is a driveway that leads the eye to belive the road goes straight on? Or is that the next one?

Well we all make mistakes, glad it was not his last one and I hope they are OK.

Paul N

Thinks - maybe we ought to have a way of dealing with this sort of stuff on rides??
Yes - that is the one, Driveway goes into Golf Course I think so your theory is a good one ie perhaps if your first time around there you could get "sucked in" to thinking road goes straight ahead.

Waylander
23rd January 2005, 22:41
no tire marks on the road but thats not unusuall. might be the guy didnt expect the turn and then couldnt turn hard enough or just laid it down figuring that would cause less dammage then if he high-sided dont know i wasnt there im just going from what i see on the pics

et al
23rd January 2005, 22:48
i felt like a dick because i stopped at the BP on the hutt motorway to 'turn off my camera - and realised it wasnt on so i had missed all the recording from welly motorcycles. i was pissed so i decided to boot it through to caltex to get some if any footage before we left. admitedly i was stupid and started lane splitting at insane speeds. i always remember andrew templeton from roadsafe talking about one of his students doing that and he pulled in beside him and told him off. well lady luck took a day off today and it was quite scary that i was thinking about it. andrew stopped me at caltex and talked to me about my lane splitting and how he didnt want to see me doing it again. fair enough, i wasnt planning on doing it again it was stupid enough already, but he was fair, told me to take care and was on his way.
Good man that one. i certainly dont want to lose my licence as im on the CBTA prog :S
Maybe you were the guy who pissed off the "Loonie" referred to earlier? If so then one of the other guys and me took some heat because of it. Good on Andrew for reading you the riot act.

sels1
23rd January 2005, 23:58
If these should be removed, let me know and I'll do so immediately.
*EDIT* Took out full pic of bike. Will leave partial pic of side damage. I don't know if I'd want my bike on the net without saying so?...

I dont think its an issue SC, newspapers and TV news and reality shows show crashed vehicles all the time - perhaps with the Lic. plate obscurred only.

Paul in NZ
24th January 2005, 08:10
Yes - that is the one, Driveway goes into Golf Course I think so your theory is a good one ie perhaps if your first time around there you could get "sucked in" to thinking road goes straight ahead.

As a Wellington import from Canterbury I can still remember the first time I saw those bends on a bike. Full of beans and anticipation about the roads ahead and riding with a group powering out of Martinborough! Hard to remember it's still restricted speeds there because of your excitement and somehow you feel you are in the country...

Factor in the group effect where you have less room to move and faster riders dragging you along and.. I can see how shit happens (not saying thats what happened btw)

Dang!

Paul N

Quasievil
24th January 2005, 08:26
Still if you dont know a corner why enter it at a speed that puts you and your bike in Danger with a passenger ?? sorry the guy has got to be a egg !!

Hope the guy and girl are okay though and you all had a good day out down there.
bloody awesome weather for it must have been damn hot down in that part of the country. certainly was hot up this way

jimbo600
24th January 2005, 08:32
Still if you dont know a corner why enter it at a speed that puts you and your bike in Danger with a passenger ?? sorry the guy has got to be a egg !!

Hope the guy and girl are okay though and you all had a good day out down there.
bloody awesome weather for it must have been damn hot down in that part of the country. certainly was hot up this way

'Twas a primo day mate, apart from the guy who binned. There was an airshow on too so we all could look at planes rather than watch the roads. Huge fun

StoneChucker
24th January 2005, 09:58

I sort of agree, but the guy seemed really nice/friendly, approachable and sensible. It was just one of those things. I'm sure he'll get the bike sorted, and he'll be out again with us, incident free.

His reaction was exactly the same as mine, after my lie-down. Slightly shakey and wondering how the hell you get your bike home!

Groins_NZ
24th January 2005, 12:59
Anyway......... enjoyed the ride today, good for me and the bike - the Hornet has now clocked up 1700k so is well and truly run in now, and does feel a bit looser. Hope no serious personal injuries (the bike was a little trashed) eventuate from the guy and young lady who had the off outside Martinborough - I think they were still running on andrelain when we left them. Does anyone know if the GS1200 rider is a member on this site and/or if they are OK? I have heard of at least one other similar accident at that corner - maybe a combination of cold tyres and the fact that it is a 90 degree corner just when you are thinking about "nailing it out of town" might have some bearing on it - maybe there should be one of those big arrow boards there.
Nice to meet you et al...

No he’s not a KB member and yes they are AOK.

The guy’s name was Noel, daughter (pillion) was Adrian. Noel was a "really nice/friendly, approachable and sensible bloke" – it was just one of those unfortunate things. He felt really bad for mucking up the ride for everyone and of course, embarrassed (but who wouldn’t).

I stayed to help sort out getting him and his bike home as he couldn’t get hold of his wife and even if he could who was gonna help get the fat sucker onto a trailer! I ended up riding back to Pauatahanui, picked up the car and tie-downs, stopped at Shell Mana to pick up a trailer and bolted over the Taka’s again to pick him up. Got back to them at 2:30pm which wasn’t too bad, although I felt sorry for the guy and his daughter having to wait so long on the side of the road.

Meantime he’d managed to get hold of one of his mates who was travelling through Wairapa at the time. He dropped off a sturdy blank and some extra tie-downs. I was clad to see a blank lying in the grass when I returned with the trailer because the tailgate was bolted on – saved me having to get my spanners out.

Got the bike loaded and secured – didn’t move an inch the whole way, although a litre of oil managed to leek out into the trailer – whoops!

I ended up getting home around 5-5:30, but was just glad no one incurred any serious injuries, although Noel was complaining about a sore chest after the affects of adrenaline subsided. Advised him to go and see a doctor in case he had some broken ribs. You could see the impact area on his leather jacket in the same area. A metal dome would have caused some bruising no doubt which was squashed flat almost.

Noel wasn’t quite sure how it happened himself. He said he used to race bikes and do motoX some years ago and this was the worst bin he’s had. I think there could have been many influences; cold tyres (et al), lack of concentration (possible due to group riding dynamics), speed into the corner, just being a bad arse corner and taking a BIG hit on the foot peg making the bike pivot which really made things happen….

maybe there should be one of those big arrow boards there.
Same here – me thinks a sign for that corner would be a good idea.

Regardless of how it happened – they still needed assistance as a result. I was surprised to see nobody assessing the injuries, or the organiser of the ride taking any names and numbers. Did I have the only first aid kit? I offered to stay and help get the rider and bike home which was no problem really – it had to be done, but no one conversed with me directly about the situation which seemed strange. Noel mentioned StoneChucker for being helpful with suggestions, so cheers for that.

StoneChucker
I reckon the bike is near a writeoff.

I thought the bike was near a write off myself, after getting a chance to get a good look at the damage – it will soon add up to some big $!

Paul N
Definitely! Wasn’t handled the best me thinks. I can organise a first aider course for all interested as a starter?

Paul in NZ
24th January 2005, 13:14
Regardless of how it happened – they still needed assistance as a result. I was surprised to see nobody assessing the injuries, or the organiser of the ride taking any names and numbers. Did I have the only first aid kit? I offered to stay and help get the rider and bike home which was no problem really – it had to be done, but no one conversed with me directly about the situation which seemed strange. Noel mentioned StoneChucker for being helpful with suggestions, so cheers for that.

Definitely! Wasn’t handled the best me thinks. I can organise a first aider course for all interested as a starter?

I'm up for that. The scene assesment etc etc is all a bloody good idea!

We are happy to provide a venue (our place) if we don't get the numbers for St Johns?

Bloody well done helping them out like that!!! I did pull over but someone gave us the thumbs up (if you remember or did I miss read that?). I was kicking myself afterwards for not insisting on a stop because it's the ones that say they are OK that end up in a big heap unexpectedly. Yes we have a small first aid kit we carry but it's amazing what you can do with a dirty old bikers tee shirt and some cable ties!

It's RERALLY amazing how people suddenly claim to feel a lot better thanks when I walk towards them topless with a grubby old rag in my hands and some big cable ties!

(thinks - could we sell some bike friendly KB branded first aid kits through the site, make Spank Me a few $$ and rest to St Johns?)

Anyway - You EARNED a rep point from everyone on the ride (come on)

Paul N

Skunk
24th January 2005, 14:35
Anyway - You EARNED a rep point from everyone on the ride (come on)Gave one before I read your post... I was under the impression that help was on it's way (saw the cellphones out). :(
Yep, got a first aid kit on the bike, and done a course. Though a refresher wouldn't hurt. :spudwave:

et al
24th January 2005, 19:57
Groins: you are a legend for doing what you did to help Noel out there. Looking back - it does seem to have been a bit callous of us all to ride off like that however my assessment was that there was no serious injury and Noel appeared to have the situation in hand ie he had made a few cell phone calls, and had assured us it was OK to carry on. I think the rest of us had misread the situation - you made the better judgement in deciding that they might actually need more help and it was really great of you to stay behind (made me feel better afterwards about leaving - although I was going to anyway). I guess the lesson for the rest of us is that in ALL cases where a rider goes down someone should take charge and make sure that at least one rider stays behind to help and make sure that the rider/pillion/bike are actually picked up and taken away from the scene - in this particular case another should have also stayed behind with them until you returned back with 4 wheels and trailer.

Skunk
24th January 2005, 20:18
Yeah, we should've grabbed the maps 'cause I knew where I was going but the guy I followed didn't (Duc 600 I think). He stopped at the wrong Mobil and I guess misread my signal (from across the road) to go north. :disapint:
I should have gone back for him when he didn't turn up. (I didn't bacause he hadn't gone missing through a twisty section, just in town). :pinch:

DarkNinja
24th January 2005, 21:46
couldve been the duc 750? with one of those funny mirrors off the right hand handle. he had to stop somewhere and get a bolt put in somewhere something to do with his sidestand if its the same guy

StoneChucker
24th January 2005, 22:44
I'm really glad to hear all was sorted. I must admit I did feel a little guilty when thinking back, but we all left after we were assured he was ok, and had some plans of getting back. And someone (Groins?) said he was staying behind. I think what could have been improved is the scene management, ie: taking names, assessing riders conditions, etc... I don't feel very confident in talking since it normally takes me ages, but I really wanted to tell him to sit down on the kerb and take off his jacket to check for injuries, as I noticed that he was shaking quite badly.

I'm happy to hear father and daughter made it home in the end. I'd come along to a first aid course, even just as a social event, since I do one every year at work. I don't have a first aid kit on my bike unfortunately, but I've got a whopper in my car!

Thanks to all who helped, and especially to you Groins. If you see him again, mention that he should join on KB.

Regards,
Dave.

PhilBilly
25th January 2005, 07:34
I went all around the town but didnt go over the bridge, lol ahhhh crikey so i went back up the taka's only then i got told it was over the bridge (the second mobil) The bike guzzles fuel like nothing had to stop and get gas. Was feeling like shit from the night before anyways, hard to concentrate.

PhilBilly
25th January 2005, 07:38
Yeah i stopped at the caltex and the bike wouldnt stand up, lost a nut off the bolt, (grrr stupid woman) Had to dash off to a mates place up the road and grab a new bolt and nut. lol

Blakamin
25th January 2005, 07:59
The bike guzzles fuel like nothing had to stop and get gas. Was feeling like shit from the night before anyways, hard to concentrate.
How many K's you get from a tank???

PhilBilly
25th January 2005, 08:10
Depends, i was gunning it from Upper Hutt over the hill and that takes alot of fuel, if im just cruzing like say up north then it lasts quite a while. A full tank when i rode up north last year, the fuel light came on around nearly 300k i think. Going over the taka's when ya off an on the throttle sucks the fuel a bit. Needs a tune up though, but i want the engine looked at when i come back from holiday. When the lady backed into me bike im hoping there is no internal damage done.

Ms Piggy
25th January 2005, 08:10
Yeah i stopped at the caltex and the bike wouldnt stand up, lost a nut off the bolt, (grrr stupid woman) Had to dash off to a mates place up the road and grab a new bolt and nut. lol
Ahhhhhhh - that explains why you weren't at Caltex Rimutaka when I arrived.

That bloody bolt :pinch:

PhilBilly
25th January 2005, 08:12
Didnt know you were riding to there lol. Thought you were going home from the starting point.

Blakamin
25th January 2005, 08:14
Depends, i was gunning it from Upper Hutt over the hill and that takes alot of fuel, if im just cruzing like say up north then it lasts quite a while. A full tank when i rode up north last year, the fuel light came on around nearly 300k i think. Going over the taka's when ya off an on the throttle sucks the fuel a bit. Needs a tune up though, but i want the engine looked at when i come back from holiday. When the lady backed into me bike im hoping there is no internal damage done.
shit!!! my fuel light comes on at 220 max.... no matter where I ride... I get 280 to a tank! and thats better fuel economy than my CBR400RR had!!!!

cant wait to see your bike and compare notes!

Ms Piggy
25th January 2005, 08:16
Didnt know you were riding to there lol. Thought you were going home from the starting point.
I changed my mind...women are allowed to do that ;) I realised I had an hour to kill and a few people I wanted to say 'Hi' to.

PhilBilly
25th January 2005, 22:34
Im not positive for sure on that, i did have my carbs syncronised day before i left welly and new plugs. Id like to have a close look at yours lol, i got a monster front end on mine so i dont have full fairing. But im looking at restoring it to original.

PhilBilly
25th January 2005, 22:36
Women change their minds? i know that all too well hehehehe lol