PDA

View Full Version : Nu2biking

outlawtorn
17th January 2005, 11:01
Hello all,

I've only been riding for almost 6 months now on my little Suzuki GZ 250 and it happily gets me to work and back every day, but as soon as my license permits I'll be upgrading to something with a bit more power.

My question to you is this, I have narrowed my list down to 2 bikes which I can afford and which I like but I do not know which one is better, can anyone help me out here and help me make my mind up?

The 2 bikes in question are
- 2005 Honda Aero 750
- 2005 Suzuki Marauder 800

Both are really nice looking and have a very strong appeal to them but if anyone out there rides on of these I'd like to hear your thoughts. For your information I ride from Browns Bay to the Western Viaduct in Auckland everyday.

Cheers

bugjuice
17th January 2005, 11:26
yay, the first welcome from me (I'm a little new here too but been riding a while..)..

without sounding patronizing, going from a 250 to a 750/800 is a hell of a jump in power etc, especially for a newbie rider.. plus a new bike, you wouldn't want to stack it.. Could be wrong, but think it thru dude, before you invest then smash it up.. no one wants that..

welcome anyhoo ;)

Riff Raff
17th January 2005, 11:56
Welcome to KB. :wavey:

jrandom
17th January 2005, 12:37
without sounding patronizing, going from a 250 to a 750/800 is a hell of a jump in power etc, especially for a newbie rider..

No it's not, not in this case. A Marauder 800 makes less than 60bhp. Remember, we're not talking tuned-up sprotbikes here. I can't think of any cruisers under 800cc that would be acceptable rides on a long-term basis. Go have a play on one sometime and you'll see what I mean, they're pussycats.

To 'outlawtorn': welcome to the forum, make sure you have a go on some sportbikes or 'naked' models to compare the riding experience before you commit to another cruiser as your upgrade...

merv
17th January 2005, 12:38
These are all cruisers you are talking about so they aren't overpowered so I would say no worries. As to advice on what's best the Honda or the Suzuki I can't help you as I haven't had anything to do with either. Chances are the Honda is more expensive but better built (as they usually are) and that's about all I could add.

vifferman
17th January 2005, 12:42
Yeah, they're definitely not sprotbikes, nor very sprotty at all. :Pokey:

Personal preference, Dude! Ride both, see which one does it for you.

Oh - and welcome to Kiwi Biker! :spudwave:

bugjuice
17th January 2005, 12:44
oops.. I'll sit corrected then.. I just saw the numbers and didn't think of the bike..
sorry dude, knock yourself out!!

Coyote
17th January 2005, 13:32
Wilkommen to the site :niceone:

SPORK
17th January 2005, 13:59
Hey hey! Welcome!

By the way, are you a Metallica fan? I just thought so due to the name...

Ms Piggy
17th January 2005, 14:04
Welcome to the madhouse! :spudwave: Lots of odds and sods here to give ya some good advice :)

Sniper
17th January 2005, 15:34
Hey how are ya, watch out, Wari will be here soon

ajturbo
17th January 2005, 15:35
Welcome to the madhouse! :spudwave: Lots of odds and sods here to give ya some good advice :)

and she is one of the oddest!! :shifty:

but go for the sv1000... that is a "nice " little commuter... :innocent:

Joni
17th January 2005, 15:37
Hello...
Welcome to KB!
You will meet some nice people here...
:niceone:

Paul in NZ
17th January 2005, 15:38
No it's not, not in this case. A Marauder 800 makes less than 60bhp. ...

Or buy an old Moto Guzzi mate.... Definately less than 60bhp....

Paul N

Welcome btw. Don't believe a word they say OK!

Hitcher
17th January 2005, 15:47
The Marauder 800 is a great bike -- the best cruiser of that size on the market, and then some!

Mrs H has/had one. 22,000 miles (35,500km) in just over a year.

Good fuel economy; good brakes; good ergonomics; and with a Venturer tail rack, lots of stowage for touring. Jrandom says they "only" produce 60 brake, but that is with good v-twin torque and they are surprisingly pokie. The weight is nice and low so they're easy for smaller riders to handle at low speed.

Mrs H's has been around the South Island twice (about 4,000km each trip) and completed a Grand Challenge (1,600km in 24 hours) in appalling weather conditions earlier this year.

If you're buying one new, as a condition of sale get your (co-operative??) Suzuki dealer to bin the OEM Dunlop rubber ASAP and put on a set of Michelin Commanders. It will go from handling like a pig on corners to a gazelle!

Storm
17th January 2005, 16:16
Velcome to the house of bike that is kiwi :wavey:

jrandom
17th January 2005, 16:32
Jrandom says they "only" produce 60 brake...

With only 35bhp between my legs, I feel bound to concur that there's nothing 'only' about a 60bhp motorcycle. I was responding to a comment made by the rider of a 110bhp 600-and-a-bit cc machine, who seemed to be drawing inferences from the ratio between the displacement of his engine and the displacement of a Marauder's.

Hitcher
17th January 2005, 16:38
Oh, and Marauders are "learner legal" in that "great and enlightened" State that is New South Wales...

bugjuice
17th January 2005, 16:40
With only 35bhp between my legs, I feel bound to concur that there's nothing 'only' about a 60bhp motorcycle. I was responding to a comment made by the rider of a 110bhp 600-and-a-bit cc machine, who seemed to be drawing inferences from the ratio between the displacement of his engine and the displacement of a Marauder's.
*ahem..* yeah, kinda stuck my foot in it there.. :Oops: I'll think quicker next time. And I was lead to believe it's 125ish hp.. still nippy enuff for me :2thumbsup

jrandom
17th January 2005, 16:54
I was lead to believe it's 125ish hp

Probably is, I just pulled a number out of the air that sounded right.

125bhp, eh. I want your bike. Can I have it when you die?

Hitcher
17th January 2005, 16:57
Can I have it when you die?
Greedy bugger...

bugjuice
17th January 2005, 16:57
Probably is, I just pulled a number out of the air that sounded right.

125bhp, eh. I want your bike. Can I have it when you die?
only found that on one site, but still looking.. yeah, you can have it if there's anything left and my bro doesn't want it ;)
else, there's always the 10s..

magnum
17th January 2005, 18:33
hello and welcome,get a sports bike mate.yeeehaaaaaaaaaaa :banana:

wari
17th January 2005, 19:07
:spudwave: ... :moon: ... :ride: ... GIdday mate

WHy am I so tired ... :thud:

MSTRS
17th January 2005, 20:08
Hello...
Welcome to KB!
You will meet some nice people here...
:niceone:
Perhaps..... :laugh:
:spudwave: anyway

toads
17th January 2005, 20:14
hello and welcome, mighty fine taste you have in motorcycles my friend!!. Yes I love cruisers, Sorry if that offends anyone!, In my opinion most bikes that are modern and you can't get much more modern than 2005 model, will be very reliable due to their extreme newness!, I would probably opt for a honda, but that's cos I like them better than suzuki's ,just my personal preference, it would really pay to take each one for a decent ride, sometimes the seating position of one bike may be wrong for you, you really won't know till you ride it.

Biff
18th January 2005, 15:18
Welcome
Buy the Honda, because it's a Honda.

jrandom
18th January 2005, 15:20
Welcome
Don't buy the Honda, because it's a Honda.

vifferman
18th January 2005, 15:25
Buy the MightyGallopingSteedBike, because it's not a cow.

outlawtorn
18th January 2005, 16:07
Wow, cheers people for the input. I never expected so many replies.

I reckon I'll just have to take each one for a ride when it gets closer to the time, my heart is tending a little more towards the Suzuki, but that's porbably cause I ride one now and have found it extremely reliable. I'm not too worried about BHP and torque and that kind of stuff, I just want to enjoy the ride, as long as the bike keeps it speed going up a hill, currently I can't keep 100 going up the hill towards the Oteha Vally offramp on the northern motorway, my little 250 drops down to about 70.

There were some other questions directed at me by loads of people so here are all my answers at once.

Yes, I am a MetallicA fan, they are my favourite band of all time, been listening to them since 1990.
I live in Langana road in Browns Bay and play "dodge the ignorant car driver" game every day on the motorway while heading down to the western Viaduct.
I don't really want to buy a superbike or naked bike though as I much prefer cruisers, the riding style suites me as I am quite tall.

Cheers for now

Thanks all

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 01:40
welcome and enjoy :yes: