PDA

View Full Version : RF400 won't start after 3-4 months of no use

mr matt
11th August 2008, 21:10
g'day - am a rookie to this forum and fixing bikes so go easy on me aye! :confused: my rf400 had been sitting for two long, battery was a bit run down but ok after charging, it just wont fire. sounds all good and seems to almost get spark. am thinking it could be either the petrol is old, the plugs, or the carb needs cleaning? appreciate thoughts.

pete376403
11th August 2008, 22:43
Old stale gas in the carbs. The good stuff has evaporated, leaving behind treacle. (It's not all that good to start with...) Drain the carbs (should be drain plugs in the bottom of the bowls. Turn on the tap (to "prime" if it's a vacuum tap) till fresh stuff run through. Put the plugs back in and try and restart.
Be careful of sparks with gas laying around, or wipe it up. Common sense.

FROSTY
11th August 2008, 22:54
Personally I wouldn't piss around.
Just be methodical and do the whole lot.
Clean the plugs,whip the carb bowls off and give the jets a huck out.
Tip the gas from the bike tank into the cage. put fresh gas in the tank
Then to give yaself best shot connect a jumper battery up before cranking her over.
Sounds like a lot of work but if its been standing awhile--and you've had a "crack" at getting it started then you're gnna most likely need to do it anyhoo

Katman
11th August 2008, 23:30
Old stale gas in the carbs. The good stuff has evaporated, leaving behind treacle. (It's not all that good to start with...) Drain the carbs (should be drain plugs in the bottom of the bowls. Turn on the tap (to "prime" if it's a vacuum tap) till fresh stuff run through. Put the plugs back in and try and restart.
Be careful of sparks with gas laying around, or wipe it up. Common sense.

Like Pete said. (My carbs seem to evaporate fuel quicker than most.)

And don't forget to turn the tap back to on (or reserve) once you're started.

cs363
11th August 2008, 23:34
If you took the quicker/easier option above and it worked for you, would pay to run some fuel system cleaner through the next couple of tanks of gas just to make sure you clean out any remaining gunk.
I tend to agree with Frosty re doing the job properly, but it's not always practicable and hey, sometimes (usually for other people!!) the quick fix works. :)

awayatc
12th August 2008, 05:32
Agree with all above comments....
depending on if you get it to go, and how long it has been sitting......
I also have had that the Flywheel collected enough surfuce rust to weaken spark....
nothing a bit of sandpaper wont cure...
Good luck

Hoon
12th August 2008, 15:32
I'd go the easy route first. Find a big fuck off hill and try crash start it. Fuel should still be alright (enough to start it anyway but I wouldn't go doing any dyno runs)

mr matt
14th August 2008, 12:55
thanks all. keen to try the easy option, crash starting first and then with the carbs etc. So how do you crash start? i tried pushing it with clutch in, then in gear but the back wheel just locks up. ive only ever crash started an old mitsy car so no idea on bikes

wildpudding
14th August 2008, 18:47
Have bike in neutral, push or fall down a hill, jump on bike and grab the clutch flick it into 2nd (helps prevent wheel locking) and release clutch. Try and release the clutch as your arse lands on the seat which puts more weight on the wheels and helps to stop the wheel locking.

Then ride off into the sunset without a helmet. Done properly its a beautifully executed move, sure to impress.

Stefan

FROSTY
16th August 2008, 14:28
Sorry but crash starting is a crock.
Jumper leads to a car battery --this ensures no voltage drop in an old battery.

Patch
16th August 2008, 14:47
if ya want a workout - go to the gym otherwise just do what Frosty and Pete suggested.

The other two suggestions (crash start) are full of shit.