PDA

View Full Version : Future Parking Spots?

Squiggles
11th August 2008, 21:58
Any ideas, im about to arrange another meeting with one of the guys from carparking (they have some issues to bring to the table as well)

They've got plans for spots in the Architecture & Fine arts' carparks, but does anyone have any spots i could bring forward?
What about other ideas? I intend to suggest lockers for ogg at least. I can see the business school seriously considering this but charging for it of course, like ausa do, as a way of getting a return from the free parking they're giving out :yes:

BANZAI
11th August 2008, 22:18
Any ideas, im about to arrange another meeting with one of the guys from carparking (they have some issues to bring to the table as well)

They've got plans for spots in the Architecture & Fine arts' carparks, but does anyone have any spots i could bring forward?
What about other ideas? I intend to suggest lockers for ogg at least. I can see the business school seriously considering this but charging for it of course, like ausa do, as a way of getting a return from the free parking they're giving out :yes:

Archtecture and Fine arts, definitely!

Also Kenneth Myer's Centre (KMC) in Shortland Street.
http://www.creative.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/nicai/research/centres/cnzard/cnzard_home.cfm
If we can use "no parking area"(where they have name plate of the building) as official parking area that would be good (altho we still use it as bike parking, theres few scooters always there :p) It would be better if we have at least one car size of parking space in there too (so at least from left side of the stiers to the end of letter "E")

bomma
11th August 2008, 22:56
the quad area between food court and science centre has always caught my eye....maybe get uni to get cover put up on that whole area?? thanks squiggs :2thumbsup

motorbyclist
11th August 2008, 23:26
engineering is getting desperate..... yet again there were bikes parked on the "keep clear" bit for pedestrians/disabled people - namely an L plate middle aged man on a new fake ninja 250 and a scooter.

don't entirely blame them as 'keep off' isn't written on the little walkway bit they were on and people are generally retarded when is comes to looking 2m away.

so could fix that....

----------------------------------

i think we need to have a bitch and a moan to ACC about symonds street parking. on sunday i spent an hour of a two hour meeting trying to find a park for the cage - could not bike or bus due to precious cargo, ended up paying $8 an hour at AUT - while all of symonds street was empty and illegal for no good reason. many other cagers also doing laps of the uni, a few were simply following pedestrians to their cars.

last time i tried to park the BIKE on symonds st i actually had to wait for a guy to leave

what do i propose? more fucking bike parking on symonds st, and some car parking too. they will need it even more come the summer so may as well do it now. the single bus lane is no excuse to remove parking on both sides on of the road or at all

ALFRED st is still a shithole. over 12 months ago they kicked us out of our safe and secure parking with promises of paving and water fountains which are yet to appear.
either do the renovations or give us our parking back

Real_Wolf
12th August 2008, 09:39
there are some 'do not park here' bits under the science building parking, which don't seem to be doing anything useful, and as everyone knows that parking is very full

Squiggles
12th August 2008, 09:40
last time i tried to park the BIKE on symonds st i actually had to wait for a guy to leave

what do i propose? more fucking bike parking on symonds st, and some car parking too. they will need it even more come the summer so may as well do it now. the single bus lane is no excuse to remove parking on both sides on of the road or at all

ALFRED st is still a shithole. over 12 months ago they kicked us out of our safe and secure parking with promises of paving and water fountains which are yet to appear.
either do the renovations or give us our parking back

We could push for something being done about alfred street, i've yet to hear of any plans for the bus routes to be moved off it so it can become a ped mall once and for all, as far as symonds is concerned for cars... yeah right. That will mean cars constantly being in the bus lane, negating its purpose.
I thought the bus lane had a lane either side of the road

All the quoted however, is for a different thread... I'm asking for internal suggestions, the need for more by engineering is noted, but WHERE can they put it is the question.

Squiggles
12th August 2008, 09:44
there are some 'do not park here' bits under the science building parking, which don't seem to be doing anything useful, and as everyone knows that parking is very full

I dont see them getting removed, they wouldnt budge on this last time, too close to the pedestrian walkways and fire escapes, i do however note that with the builders all but gone, a couple of spots have opened up in the corner to the left as you enter off princes street

Ragingrob
12th August 2008, 10:07
The OGG lockers are the only worthwhile idea that I can think of... I mean there's what, 80 parks down there? And that would suit all business and arts students, probably taking away half the people that park under science and it'd all even out.

I guess you're gonna take a hit about all the parking on the footpath ay? Well make sure you mention how they "ticketed" correctly parked bikes too.

Why the hell are they doing that Central Connector bus route anyway? What a waste of our money! A bus route that runs from Britomart to Khyber pass, 24 hour bus lanes, with new and improved bus shelters woop de fucken do. Buses rarely get actually "held up" along symonds st.

I just can not imagine Symonds st being only single-laned each way... At all!

BTW what does it mean for us? Will they be bus/motorbike lanes, or strictly bus only? All I picture is buses boosting along at 60kph with a car pulling over to turn left outta all the traffic in front of it. And cyclists cruising along in the bus lane getting nailed by those crazy bus drivers.

Argh! What a waste of time/energy/and money.

Squiggles
12th August 2008, 11:51
BTW what does it mean for us? Will they be bus/motorbike lanes, or strictly bus only? All I picture is buses boosting along at 60kph with a car pulling over to turn left outta all the traffic in front of it. And cyclists cruising along in the bus lane getting nailed by those crazy bus drivers.

As far as i could tell they are just normal bus lanes, i.e. fine for us to ride in. It may help us to park easier on symonds (conversely if you fuck it up it'll be more lethal)

Folcan
12th August 2008, 14:14
Well depending where you park its quite bad anyway. with those trees that block you from seeing what is coming.

motorbyclist
12th August 2008, 17:46
is there a recent set of plans up? last i saw was a bus lane going up the hill only

motorbyclist
12th August 2008, 17:47
as for internal parking, security will no doubt be an issue;)

Ragingrob
13th August 2008, 13:50
Parking + lockers in OGG + a beam to chain the bikes to = perfection.

Patar
14th August 2008, 18:46
We could push for something being done about alfred street, i've yet to hear of any plans for the bus routes to be moved off it so it can become a ped mall once and for all, as far as symonds is concerned for cars... yeah right. That will mean cars constantly being in the bus lane, negating its purpose.
I thought the bus lane had a lane either side of the road

All the quoted however, is for a different thread... I'm asking for internal suggestions, the need for more by engineering is noted, but WHERE can they put it is the question.

Can you bring up the issue as to whether we are allowed to park along the architecture building (or rather the old comp store) between engineering an architecture where there is curently push bike racks.
I occasionally see scooters parked down there but as the only access is from the wheelchair ramp I see it as being kind of dodgy, although there might actually be access from around the back, i'd have to check.

Hanne
17th August 2008, 12:22
Can you bring up the issue as to whether we are allowed to park along the architecture building (or rather the old comp store) between engineering an architecture where there is curently push bike racks.
I occasionally see scooters parked down there but as the only access is from the wheelchair ramp I see it as being kind of dodgy, although there might actually be access from around the back, i'd have to check.

You can get in there from the driveway next to the kindergarten but there is so much foot traffic through there they don't want bike coming through, I used t opark there last semester whe n Iwas late >< but now they have put up 'No Parking Signs'. Someone has helpfully snapped off the 'NO" park of the signs, but i'm pretty sure Stephen discussed that area with unisafe last time and they said Symonds St parking was really close.... Have to double check that though!

swee
17th August 2008, 22:20
Parking + lockers in OGG + a beam to chain the bikes to = perfection.

theres a tonne of those push bike racks down there you could lock your bike to?

Never seen a bicylce in the OGG parking lot. Should be pretty secure in there anyway? I usually only see 3-4 bikes but quite a few scooters parked down there, but ive never gone further than p1...

Patar
17th August 2008, 22:52
You can get in there from the driveway next to the kindergarten but there is so much foot traffic through there they don't want bike coming through, I used t opark there last semester whe n Iwas late >< but now they have put up 'No Parking Signs'. Someone has helpfully snapped off the 'NO" park of the signs, but i'm pretty sure Stephen discussed that area with unisafe last time and they said Symonds St parking was really close.... Have to double check that though!

Sure symonds street is really close but there's quite a few problems with parking at the top end of symonds st.
1) The surface is so uneven it's near impossible to get your bike on the side stand without it looking like it's going to fall over.
2) People park just close enough to each other so that you can't fit in, but just far enough away that they take up 2 parking spots.
3) People have started parking perpendicularly behind the bikes so you can't get to your bike when you go to leave, and also making it a bitch to park if a spot infront of one of those bikes is empty.

Another thing that i've noticed pretty much everywhere, and this is mainly about scooters, there's always a couple jokers who park front wheel to the curb and diagonally so as to take up 2 parking spots.
Also the parking at engineering is horrible.

RAAAAGEE!

Ragingrob
17th August 2008, 23:01
The abundance of scooters at the Uni of this past semester is a nightmare! Honestly, walking along Symonds it's just shocking to see their parking techniques, not to mention that some of them nearly get killed trying to park!

My old favorite place down past music used to have a usual 4 or 5 bikes, it is now filled with about 10 bloody scooters and one gt250r which parked horizontal taking up 3 bike parks one day just so his pillion seat wouldn't get wet!

Blah!

bomma
17th August 2008, 23:06
The abundance of scooters at the Uni of this past semester is a nightmare! Honestly, walking along Symonds it's just shocking to see their parking techniques, not to mention that some of them nearly get killed trying to park!

My old favorite place down past music used to have a usual 4 or 5 bikes, it is now filled with about 10 bloody scooters and one gt250r which parked horizontal taking up 3 bike parks one day just so his pillion seat wouldn't get wet!

Blah!

the last time i was at uni, the fat yellow scooter in conjunction with a bandit were taking up enuff space to fit about 5 bikes....was gonna leave a note but then i realised that i'd fogotten to bring my pen :doh:

Squiggles
18th August 2008, 20:05
While i intend to raise thoughts on security with unisafe, i dont expect anything more than perhaps an additional camera on the entrance to cp36, I will see about us having chains down there, although its always a good idea to have one on you or a disklock. For the best part it is up to us, we arent paying to park down there. It's purely a good will relationship and we're on the winning side so far, but i can but try to get more and not overstep the boundary.

I will see about anything down in ogg, its the buisness school's domain in the end though.

Re Architecture, they want to talk to me about this, someone got carried away and snapped their "no parking" signs in two, they were looking to perhaps convert a park in the architecture carpark for bikes though (i believe some staff are taking up two wheels as well!)