PDA

View Full Version : My maiden trip this weekend

twistemotion
12th August 2008, 01:10
Well, I decided that the L plate wasn't going to hold me back, so I packed the little GPX and set off on Saturday morning to Taumarunui with a friend on his Triumph dual-sport joining me part of the way. The weather was perfect, traffic light, and the road a lot of fun. We had lunch at the Whangamomona hotel, and then he headed back to New Plymouth and I carried onto Taumarunui.

Just after Tahora I headed down a dirt track to see the falls advertised on a sign, but one can only catch glimpses of it through the trees, so a bit dissapointed I headed back and took a few photos of all the wild pig skins draped over the fence for 50 metres or so. That was odd, because they were no more than a few days old and just seemed to be rotting there. (I see the Whangamomona pig hunt is on this coming weekend. Apparently they have over 70 entries so far according to the waitress/bar lady).

Anyway, so I continued and turned onto the Mt Damper falls road (a bit of gravel as well with sheep, horses and cattle in the road), but didn't feel like spending 20 mins walking to the falls and back, as I was a little short on time for making Taumarunui in the light. I turned back and arrived in Taumarunui at 5:30 pm and stayed over. On Sunday morning at about 10:00 took highway 41 to Pukawa. Lots of ice next to the road, and quite chilly (I'm thinking of getting heated grips). A few k's before Pukawa I had my first bird strike on a bike, - DriRider jacket 1, bird 0. I stopped to check that I wasn't covered in guts or something. Pukawa was nice, lots of neat houses. Weather was still great, so I headed back to Taumarunui, and had lunch there.

I then headed up north on SH4, and not far out of town an old lady made a u turn in front of me, causing me to brake and proceeded to turn back onto the road again blocking me. She looked like she was totally in her own world, and would probably have done it with an 18 wheeler approaching as well. I tried to indicate in the nicest possible way that she should use her eyes next time. :angry2:

I turned onto route 40 to Ohura. This was also a fun bit of road with some long sweeping corners, as well as some tight ones. In Ohura I decided to turn West towards Ahititi. Almost all of it was coarse gravel, and I learned a thing or two about riding on gravel. The off camber downhill turns were no fun though, and that road took forever :sweatdrop

Once the road became tar seal again, the sweeping corners were nice, but the sun was low in the sky and visibilty was bad, so I took it easy. On this road I pulled into a gravel driveway, came to a stop, and next thing I know I'm toppling over to the right, slowly putting the bike down onto its side, and me rolling over and back onto my feet again :bye: So I picked it up, adjusted the mirror, checked the brakes and indicator and off I went again. The fairing, mirror, indicator, exhaust, bar-end and brake lever are a bit scratched, but that's all. Lesson learnt: make sure of your footing and balance before trying to put the side stand down. The ride home was pretty uneventful, except for spotting two cops having a "chat" with some bikers, and the cops rubber necking when they heard another bike approaching. Unlucky for them I was going quite sedately due to road works and bad visibility :cool:

So, 460km later and a lot of lessons learnt. Can't wait for the next one! :D Oh yes, and fuel consumption was about 25.5 km/l (72 mpg) for those interested. Sorry for the long post.

twistemotion
12th August 2008, 01:15
Here's a map of my route and some pics.

chanceyy
12th August 2008, 08:35
excellent write up and pics, there is absolutely nothing like just getting out there & doing it ..great opportunity to learn all about your bike & riding it on different surfaces. Bugger about the wee lay down, however even the most experienced riders have done that before :yes:

CB ARGH
12th August 2008, 08:44
Poor birdie! :spanking:

Well done mate, was an excellent read, and I'm sure the ride was bloddy awesome! :niceone:

spacemonkey
14th August 2008, 17:51
Sounds a great 1st touring ride 2wheeler..... will be going for a gander down that road as soon as I have a bigger bike (kr150's just don't cut it for longer rides.) :niceone:

gunrunner
14th August 2008, 17:58
Good on ya , get out there as much as ya can theres nothing like it , i know alot of guys that wont go far on their bikes as fear of getting it wet or dirty - its all part of it i say, its good to see some pics of ya journey too .:rockon:

TOTO
14th August 2008, 18:47
my god man , you are so lucky to live next to the forgotten highway (sh43). It was my plan to go trough there on my last tour but unfortunately crashed and wrote my bike off 3 days before so it didnt happen that time. my friends tho went and came back and told me all those roads that you have just done are just magic.

Great write up man , and keep it up :niceone:

love the pics too - just gorgeous :D

raftn
20th August 2008, 14:18
I enjoyed the read very much. Nothing like just getting out there and doing it.

Meekey_Mouse
20th August 2008, 15:22
Awesome stuff :D Have been riding for over 2 years and still wanting to do the Forgotten HW! Good on ya for gettin out there and doin it on the 250 :clap:

blairh
20th August 2008, 17:55
looks awesome, can't wait to get out on a decent ride myself!

shafty
20th August 2008, 22:05
Great read Matey - and pics are awesome too - keep em coming.

You weren't too from from our neck of the woods!

Shafty

swt 3
21st August 2008, 11:22
Hey 2wheeler,
Great to hear your newsy road ride. I was born in Taurmaranui, years ago, :no:okay, not that many years. I used to go stay on my Sister's farm at 'Mt Dampa'. We used to walk over the farm & up to the top of the Waterfall. What a sight. Even way back then, the plans were to make it a public road. I have never been over this yet. Was keen to know just what the road was like. Not a big fan of the metal stuff. :eek::eek5: I think you are great doing this long ride by yourself. I live in Tauranga & have been round the East Coast by myself. That was great. My partner & I intend doing the ride down to New Plymouth sometime. Still not that sure of the standard of the road thru Whangamomona. Having travelled it regularly all those years ago with big Sis, I wasn't about to do it on our bikes as eargerly. Keep up the good riding, they say, the more mileage, the better, to gain experience. Take care on the road.

yod
21st August 2008, 11:38
good on ya for going forth and trying a few roads out

and thanks for the inadvertent info onthe Ohura Ahititi road - I wasn't sure if it weas sealed or not, was thinking of heading through there at some point.

oldrider
21st August 2008, 22:36
Enjoyed your write up and good on you, great support/companion bike too I see! (The Tiger)

I am determined to head up that way as soon as I can get family things all synchronised so that it can happen.

Taranaki and West Coast points North always seem difficult for us to get to, for some unknown reason.

It is the least travelled/visited area (by us) in New Zealand and is definitely a must do, sooner rather than later!

I do not want to have to hurry through there and not see anything so we will be just cruisin along, once we actually get bloody going! :ride: Frustrated, John.

twistemotion
24th August 2008, 22:30
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Motorcycling is a steap learning curve for me, but I love doing it, and the best thing is, now I can combine it with my love for travelling!

...Even way back then, the plans were to make it a public road. I have never been over this yet. Was keen to know just what the road was like. Not a big fan of the metal stuff...

Hey swt 3, It is 16km to the falls from the turn-off, and when it eventually becomes gravel, it's hard-packed, so it's pretty good, nothing scary.

Enjoyed your write up and good on you, great support/companion bike too I see! (The Tiger)

Thanks oldrider, I had a quick blat on the Tiger - almost didn't give it back!

R6chick
6th September 2008, 08:07
Good Stuff 2wheeler!!!
i luved the freedom feeling getting away from it all when i first got my gsxr250.... i miss that bike....

good 2 see ya getting out there an enjoying it :msn-wink:

Dan Mapp
8th September 2008, 19:23
Hey good on ya. How the aches and pains today?

twistemotion
8th September 2008, 22:50
Hey good on ya. How the aches and pains today?

Hey Dan Mapp, I did this trip a while ago, and there were no aches or pains that weren't fixed by getting off the bike for a few minutes.

Went for a ride with a mate with a Royal Enfield yesterday. Did a loop from Stratford to Tariki on the back roads - had quite a blast. I miss my earplugs though when I'm not wearing them. Going back to NP on SH3 there was a head wind that amplified the wind noise. Saw lots of bikes on the road and exchanged greetings a few times - most of them probably coming back from the Cold Kiwi .

mbazza
14th September 2008, 19:30
Well done. Welcome to the world of touring on a motor bike. Have you toured your scooter. I reckon at 45kph on the highway it would be pretty boring. Cheers.

twistemotion
16th September 2008, 09:39
... I reckon at 45kph on the highway it would be pretty boring. Cheers.
I've heard that you see a lot more at 45 kph, but I'm not that brave. I can only shake my head at cyclists on the open road. :crazy: