PDA

View Full Version : 2000 200exc any good?

tommorth
12th August 2008, 16:14
wanting somthing a bit more capable than my kdx and saw this on trademe
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=169363124
guy rekons it sprung for a 90kilo rider im 85
is there anything to watch out for on these apart from the usual ?

thanks

lol man im dumb fixed link at least the honda was still kinda orange that can be my excuse

Ktmboy
12th August 2008, 16:19
Not much tread on the tyres on this model. Also I'd be a bit worried about the amount of suspension travel over the whoops.

Looks like a Luxury exhaust on it?

Crisis management
12th August 2008, 16:28
Not much tread on the tyres on this model. Also I'd be a bit worried about the amount of suspension travel over the whoops.

Looks like a Luxury exhaust on it?

Stop taking the piss, I'm sure he's serious about it........:crazy:

Buy it, we'll all come to the inaugural ride, KTMboy will throw in a free entrance to Woodhill just to help get you started.

The KTM200 exc, however, is a neat bike, as in all these things it depends on the condition and how well it's been maintained. Inspect carefully.

Ktmboy
12th August 2008, 16:30
If you can ride the bike pictured in the link I'll gladly throw in a pass. LOL:wari:

barty5
12th August 2008, 16:34
If you can ride the bike pictured in the link I'll gladly throw in a pass. LOL:wari:

I would even pay to see that go through the big dipper:laugh::jerry:

Ktmboy
12th August 2008, 16:35
I would even pay to see that go through the big dipper:laugh::jerry:

I reckon you could carry 2 x 90kg on this.

barty5
12th August 2008, 16:36
i would think he ment this onehttp://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes/auction-169363124.htm

Ktmboy
12th August 2008, 16:42
i would think he ment this onehttp://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes/auction-169363124.htm

Ah yes, better. Sorry for taking the piss tommorth.

It looks reasonably tidy for the age and priced quite well. You would be paying that for a KDX of the same year.

Once you take all the lights off and just put a blank number board on the front it would look even better.

tommorth
12th August 2008, 16:43
yes silly me :eek::eek::doh: i would pay well to see somone ride that cbr through the big dipper

i think those luxury exausts add at least 50hp

barty5
12th August 2008, 16:51
Ah yes, better. Sorry for taking the piss tommorth.

It looks reasonably tidy for the age and priced quite well. You would be paying that for a KDX of the same year.

Once you take all the lights off and just put a blank number board on the front it would look even better.

yes but you need those for the night rides.

Crisis management
12th August 2008, 19:08

I was talking about the bike in that link.......

C'mon guys, sharpen up a bit :dodge:

D dub
12th August 2008, 19:19
Ah yes, better. Sorry for taking the piss tammorth.

Real men run headlights:kick:

camchain
12th August 2008, 21:19
All EXC200s go on my watch list as soon as they appear. (Currently casting furtive glances at that sweet and shiny '08 in TGA with only 5 hours on it).

To me, this particular one has the look of a bike that's not been abused and seems very well maintained, due to new spares listed and not yet fitted (That's proper maintenance. Not waiting for things to break).

Photos only give a general indication of condition though - need to see it up close and give everything a wiggle. It's not a lot of money but nothing is more used than a used dirt bike. These things tend not to be owned by Nanna riders who trundle around on the smooth stuff either.
If it checks out OK it seems like good value to me, ($2300 should own it) although there was an '02 for $2500 a couple of weeks ago.

I've been IMPATIENTLY waiting for a low hrs '07 EXC200 to turn up for the last 3 long months. As my money tree is lacking foliage, I'm currently considering an older one as a stop gap. They certainly look like value especially compared to similar age KDX, but EXC200 probably not as robust as your KDX (and harder to sell). Seen a few with gearbox rebuilds. This is the biggy that puts me off an older one, having no personal experience with gearbox work.

The 'right' dirt bike is usually not the practical one though, I know what I'd rather be rolling off the trailer. I just want an orange one dammit.

Reckless
13th August 2008, 00:08
came across this 2005 Ktm 200 while checking out things on the straps thread.

http://www.topfun.co.nz/bikes-for-sale-xidg27172.html

no pics but there's one at a shop on Tardme for $5500 so $4600 may be worth a look.

Good luck!

warewolf
13th August 2008, 09:55
New brake pads AND discs, but only done 1000km? Get real.

Bike looks OK for the money but that km reading is at odds with the rest of the package.

secondfield
13th August 2008, 10:10
Generally on trade me you have to put in a km amount and it cant be less than 1000...

warewolf
13th August 2008, 11:33
well, that bike can't be less than 1000! More like 5000 minimum, or 3000 km if its been raced.

B0000M
13th August 2008, 13:13
given that the average day trail riding by most people would amount to less than 100km, it could be possible....

as for brake pads lasting more than 1000km on a dirt bike - where can i ger some of these? id get 800km tops out of mine

warewolf
14th August 2008, 13:47
given that the average day trail riding by most people would amount to less than 100km, it could be possible....I understand that, but if so, what caused so much wear on the engine covers on this one?

as for brake pads lasting more than 1000km on a dirt bike - where can i ger some of these? id get 800km tops out of mineAnd how often do you replace the discs??

tommorth
14th August 2008, 17:13
i thinks the 100kms is just entered for the sake of entering something looks like it may have a speedo so maybe it is accurate

having a thought how big are these pysicaly framewise was looking at some 125s a cr and sx today and they seemed tiny rode a rmz250 couple of months ago great bike but way to small im 6'2

Crisis management
14th August 2008, 19:39
Size is a real consideration as the 200 EXC is a 125 frame / motor overbored...I'm 5'9" and it suits me, your 6'2" might be a bit big.
If you want to look at mine to get a comparison I'm in Hillsborough, flick me a PM if you want to.

tommorth
15th August 2008, 13:25
thanks for the offer Crisis management but ill be over near the bike tomorrow so i'll probly go have a look at it
i think the kdx frame and motor is also based on a 125

Reckless
16th August 2008, 16:05
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=171253238

Here's another one looks in really good nick. Better than my 03, although I paid a few hundy less than he's asking, and its more for my sons occasional outings, just to give you guys a guide on price.

BTW My 03 KTm is pretty much the same height as my CR250 was, there's bugger all in it. So the 03 is quite tall, My boys over 6' and he fits it better than me, especially when you gotta hold it up on a slope!

tommorth
16th August 2008, 17:05
well bought the bike its taller than my kdx which is nice and the plastics arent faded like they look in the photo the muffler is huge but not all that quiet cant wait to get it to woodhill

might put the carb divider thing on this arvo if it stops raining
the lights and battery are coming off less stuff to brake

so who wants to buy a kdx?

camchain
16th August 2008, 18:34
Congrats on the new ride tommorth. Leave that power blade carb gadget for 2 or 3 rides so you can properly guage how well (or not) it works. Curious to know (just in case I ever manage to finally get my own EXC200. Wind keeps blowing leaves off my money tree) Plenty of buyers for your KDX.

Hey Reckless, those 2 you pointed out look pretty damn good. The 03 in Coro looks very tidy. Good spotting on that Hamilton one, I thought I had my ear close to the ground but missed that one. Price seems very good.
Any news on the 08 leased beast?

xen
16th August 2008, 18:44
Good stuff man, looks like a nice upgrade :2thumbsup

Reckless
16th August 2008, 22:34
Yeh tommo leave the powerblade out for a ride or two and tells us if they are a have or not when you put it in. Mines got a Vforce 3 read block in it but its always had it so I don't know how it goes with out it?? Although I have backed off the power valve to smooth the mid range hit on mine. Danger would probably think its gutless but it suits my only 2 years in the saddle??

Cam? That Coro Ktm200 does look nice> Ktm on the seat and side panels hardly worn, Boot frame protectors good nick and looks like the original headlight etc. YOu should buy it!! My 08 is still on the way, 09 bikes arn't out yet, but my money tree might take a knock? I have an offer in on a 06 CRF150 for my youngest boy? Yep a bloody 4 stroke but the racer 85cc bikes are a bit to much for him. I should have started him off on something more sedate then moved him to a KX or CR85.

Anyone going out the Sandpit tomorrow? Want to give an old bastard a push up the hills?? I only last about 2 hours on the meter so it won't be a long one, 1/2 day should do it?

tommorth
17th August 2008, 09:38
I'm about to head out to sandpit , say hi if you see me white transit ,orange bike, black hemlet possibly lying on the ground lol

Would be interesting to see the difference with and without the powerblade got some boysen reeds for it to so maybe a few stages of testing.
Also came with five different thickness base gaskets obviously they change the compression and squish a bit does any one know how much of a difference they would make? it must also change the port timing slightly but is it enough to be noticable ?
Think ill leave the powervalve alone for now till I get used to the bike brakes seemed very progressive from my little play in the driveway.

was planing on having a go at the dead toad but not so good planing

both those bikes n the links look pretty clean and tidy