PDA

View Full Version : Skidmark saved my life today...

Disco Dan
12th August 2008, 22:00
I would just like everyone to know that Mark saved my life today.

I arrived at his house late this afternoon and we spent a few hours mucking around at a nearby location on his mini-moto... a quick stop at kittys place and we headed back to Marks. Mark just happened to mention the brakes on my mini cooper and I headed round the back to check the lights etc... thats when Mark heard the squelch sound as he tapped the brake... and sure enough I had a leak ! Fluid everywhere and then another tap and it went straight to the floor... no brakes at all.

I had little choice but to drive home using only the engine and handbrake to slow down/stop all the way back to the shore!

Upon closer inspection I saw that the clip on the CV boot had been gradually clipping the metal pipe until it wore through it to the fluid inside.

If Mark had not of asked to test/check the brakes I would have most likely lost brakes on my way home... and I would have been in BIG trouble.

Thank you Mark you saved my life! I owe you one my friend!

skidMark
12th August 2008, 22:09
No worries mate, just pure fluke how it all happened i guess...

Ya don't owe me.

Wouldnt say no to a free :apint:though... :lol:

mstriumph
12th August 2008, 22:09
good on ya, Mr Mark!! :clap:

Disco Dan
12th August 2008, 22:10
Just added a couple of pictures, sorry for rubbish quality.

You can just see the slight silvering on the pics where the metal was worn away.

Disco Dan
12th August 2008, 22:15
No worries mate, just pure fluke how it all happened i guess...

Ya don't owe me.

Wouldnt say no to a free :apint:though... :lol:

Anytime :Punk:

ps they were some nice stoppies on your minimoto bro!

skidMark
12th August 2008, 22:17
Anytime :Punk:

ps they were some nice stoppies on your minimoto bro!

LOL yeah except for the exhaust falling off...**mutter mutter chinese bike mutter mutter** lol

I just can't believe it does 47kph LOL

you could always post up the videos? :P lol

Gubb
12th August 2008, 22:27
...You rode from Christchurch to Auckland with no brakes?

oldrider
12th August 2008, 22:28
Well done Mark, hey, how long have you been back up there? :confused: John.

FROSTY
12th August 2008, 22:29
You're madder an a meataxx you are. :Pokey:
Fark dude. No brakes 20km of inner city driving. -If I were you id buy a friggin lotto ticket. -

Mully
12th August 2008, 22:30
Good on you Mark. You've had a few brickbats in your time here, glad you earned a bouquet for this one.

Cheers,
Mully

Maha
12th August 2008, 22:30
Mark saved your life?
And then you drove the unsafe shit heap anyway?...putting yourself and other road users at risk???....:weird:

skidMark
12th August 2008, 22:35
Fark dude. No brakes 20km of inner city driving. -If I were you id buy a friggin lotto ticket. -

Mark saved your life?
And then you drove the unsafe shit heap anyway?...putting yourself and other road users at risk???....:weird:

Greta to see the kb lynch mob in full force, pointing out the one flaw.

KB hasnt changed one bit in 4 months since i was last online.

Disco Dan
12th August 2008, 22:42

Yeah, but I have the same chance of winning if I dont buy a ticket than if I do. So I thought i'd save some money and still win. <_<

Mark saved your life?

Perfectly safe, it's a matter of knowing how to drive it. Engine braking on these engines is very effective. not to mention the well adjusted handbrake.

It's perfectly natural to find the odd bug in a new vehicle, you do realise I know what i'm doing? I have all the tools and materials to fabricate a replacement.

Why cant you let Mark have this moment? Thats very cruel of you.

gijoe1313
12th August 2008, 22:51
I guess this is a case of brickbats and bouquets? :scratch:

On ya Mark, but you should have gone one further and taken the car keys! :lol: :msn-wink:

skidMark
12th August 2008, 23:02
I guess this is a case of brickbats and bouquets? :scratch:

On ya Mark, but you should have gone one further and taken the car keys! :lol: :msn-wink:

His car his choice, who am i to stop him i guess, i knew he had the skill to get it home anyways, he has owned 4 minis afterall...

Mrs Busa Pete
13th August 2008, 06:44
Well done Mark, hey, how long have you been back up there? :confused: John.

+1 But would also like to know how long you have been back in Auckland

Zuki Bandit
13th August 2008, 07:30
Go Skid!, Good on you man:sunny:

fLaThEaD FreD
13th August 2008, 07:38
Who live in glass houses.......cast no stone !!!:jerry:

inlinefour
13th August 2008, 07:43
Thats what friends are for eh. Ive ridden home with a problem with my bike on a few occasions when I was younger. Whats the big deal? Disco would have ridden much more carefully because of and I dont think he has a death wish. Was quite surprised to see a couple of remarks dissing Disco, get a grip guys and go have a masti if the wife is saying no...:yawn:

codgyoleracer
13th August 2008, 08:34

How bout towing a van back from Piha with no brakes & no steering wheel (yung & dumb)
Tyres on the front & back of the vehicles & a very short tow rope + a 22mm spanner for the steering nut................ (pun):stupid:

Ixion
13th August 2008, 08:39

No, his handbrake was working. By law the handbrake must provide an adequate braking mechanism in the event that the service brake is inoperable.

Greta to see the kb lynch mob in full force, pointing out the one flaw.

KB hasnt changed one bit in 4 months since i was last online.

Speaking of Greta, why aren't you down there ?

FROSTY
13th August 2008, 10:14
aww comeon Ixion -you know that applies to emergency situations. ie--the brakes suddenly failed and the park brake had to be used.
NOT knowingly driving a vehicle with its prmary braking system inoperative
The law says the vehicle must be up to WOF standard.

Lias
13th August 2008, 10:30
For all that it may not have been the greatest idea for disco to drive home like that, It's nice to see some maturity from SkidMark.

Praise where due imho, were all pretty quick to jump on his back when he's been immature.

Ixion
13th August 2008, 10:52
Meh, I've limped vehicles home with inoperative almost anything before today.

NB different to a bike with the front brake not working.Ridden many a thousand mile with such.

And actually , the handbrake is the original service brake. I recall when many vehicles (bikes and cars) had no front brakes. It's not a park brake BTW. That's a nasty Yank phrase, only applicable to automatics.

Quite a good exercise for learners (car or bike) is to "disable" the brakes (with a piece of thread , that will break easily if they are really needed) and send them out to learn about anticipation .

skidMark
13th August 2008, 12:10
Meh, I've limped vehicles home with inoperative almost anything before today.

NB different to a bike with the front brake not working.Ridden many a thousand mile with such.

And actually , the handbrake is the original service brake. I recall when many vehicles (bikes and cars) had no front brakes. It's not a park brake BTW. That's a nasty Yank phrase, only applicable to automatics.

Quite a good exercise for learners (car or bike) is to "disable" the brakes (with a piece of thread , that will break easily if they are really needed) and send them out to learn about anticipation .

Yeah, definately agree on the string idea have not tried it myself but i know others who have that are damn smooth now.

In regards to being back in auckland, approx two weeks. Why am i back, i am not going into it, not in this thread, nor any other as it is my personal business. Make all the assumptions you want, i had just cause to myself.

Mark.

Dave-
13th August 2008, 12:33
i bet he learnt that trick while he was down here :P

Disco Dan
13th August 2008, 16:56
...well all fixed now, drove across the other side of Auckland to get the part and Mark spent the day helping me put it in and bleed/adjust all the brakes! We even replaced the brake light switch and got that going!

Cheers Mark, your the man!

carver
13th August 2008, 17:13

i rode the GS 500 back from your place to hamilton with no front brakes or functioning forks, also with a chronic headshake above 150kph!

skidMark
13th August 2008, 22:13
i rode the GS 500 back from your place to hamilton with no front brakes or functioning forks, also with a chronic headshake above 150kph!

Doesnt matter though carver, you do wheelies everywhere anyways!

carver
14th August 2008, 16:07
Doesnt matter though carver, you do wheelies everywhere anyways!

ah, not on the GS, it landed like a car on its roof!

Owl
14th August 2008, 17:36
Well I don't know either of you, but I'm glad you didn't kill yourself or anyone else Disco and well done skidMark for stopping him from killing himself or anyone else!:niceone:

Badger8
15th August 2008, 00:14
You're failing to see the link here Disco... Mark rides minimoto, exhaust falls off... Mark touches mini's brakes, they break... Dont let him give ya a hug, it might fall off! :dodge:

All in jest, good on ya mark, and glad you didnt mount the mini up a tree Disco! :niceone:

Ragingrob
15th August 2008, 10:17
You're back up this way Mark? Nice work :yes:

skidMark
15th August 2008, 14:30
You're failing to see the link here Disco... Mark rides minimoto, exhaust falls off... Mark touches mini's brakes, they break... Dont let him give ya a hug, it might fall off! :dodge:

All in jest, good on ya mark, and glad you didnt mount the mini up a tree Disco! :niceone:

Yeah that couldve been a worry!

You're back up this way Mark? Nice work :yes:

Haha cheers, i am everywhere my son.