PDA

View Full Version : Scooter protective gear

Scaredy Cat
17th January 2005, 18:13
Hi,

I was wondering what sort of protective gear should a person on a scooter should be wearing? How much gear is to little or to much?

I'm asking this because I am now paranoid about coming off my scooter and I don't have any protective gear apart from my helmet.

Motu
17th January 2005, 18:16
Walk shorts,knee socks and roman sandals,Hawaian shirt and Nazi helmet would be perfect.

MSTRS
17th January 2005, 18:18
Walk shorts,knee socks and roman sandals,Hawaian shirt and Nazi helmet would be perfect.
Motu - surely you jest? What about the sunglasses?

Motu
17th January 2005, 18:34
Oh yeah,silly me - blue tint square frame sun glasses.

StoneChucker
17th January 2005, 18:40
Please excuse my fellow KiwiBikers, they sometimes can't contain their humour! :lol:

MY suggestion would be ofcourse a full helmet, riding boots, gloves, synthetic pants AND jacket. So as you can see, full gear basically. However, you definitely don't need the best gear, or a one piece race suit! Even though scooters only travel at relatively low speeds, coming off at any speed will leave a nice graze on your skin, even through jeans (ask me!!!).

In the end, it's better to be over protected don't you think? I THINK Wellington motorcycles are offering a great deal, or were (not sure), somewhere around $700 or $800 for helmet, gloves, boots, pants and jacket (synthetic).

And then if you ever decide to move up to something bigger, you're already set...

Motoracer
17th January 2005, 18:41
As much protective you can put on is better ofcourse BUT if you want good compramise between safety and practicality then, I'd sujest the following as minimum requirements:

- Full face motorcycle helmet.
- Full fingers motorcycle gloves made with leather.
- Motorcycle jacket made out of textile (coudira) or Leather.
- Jeans or some sort of tough material trousers/pants covering your whole legs.
- Sturdy pair of boots of some sort.

I had ofcourse the $375 HJC helmet with iridium visor, Dainese Textile jacket, Alpinestars gloves, Alpinestars boots, back protector, Jeans when I was riding (hooning) on a scooter but you don't really need to go overboard like I did.

StoneChucker
17th January 2005, 18:42
Just saw you're not in Welly. But you get the idea...

Scaredy Cat
17th January 2005, 20:01
Thanks for your help.

At the moment I have:
full face motorcycle helmet
leather gloves
I wear jeans

So all I need to get is a good pair of boots and a jacket to have the minimum requirements.

I definitely know what its like coming of a push bike and flying over a car. I have fractured my elbow twice (same elbow), had quite a lot of grazing to my hands (they had to pick out the gravel), concussion and a lot of bruising and pain. Right I will go out and buy a jacket and boots tomorrow. Any suggestions and prices, maybe I should check out other threads.

El Dopa
17th January 2005, 20:10
You could possibly investigate getting a pair of draggin' jeans. They're made 'specially for two wheel riders, such as scoots.

They look like normal jeans/trousers (think there's a 'cargo' style as well), but are made of kevlar cloth or something tougher than normal denim, so they'll protect you from abrasions/scrapes, but not knocks.

MSTRS
17th January 2005, 20:21
Thanks for your help.
Right I will go out and buy a jacket and boots tomorrow. Any suggestions and prices, maybe I should check out other threads.
It's not a sportsbike you ride so you won't need the $600+ jacket & $500+ boots. Get a used jacket (will be heaps cheaper) but be sure to get one with plenty of extra padding on shoulders & elbows (or internal armour). Get new boots with toe & ankle protection, snug fit & zip closure. Oh, and the blue tinted sunnies

Motoracer
18th January 2005, 11:11
Thanks for your help.

At the moment I have:
full face motorcycle helmet
leather gloves
I wear jeans

So all I need to get is a good pair of boots and a jacket to have the minimum requirements.

I definitely know what its like coming of a push bike and flying over a car. I have fractured my elbow twice (same elbow), had quite a lot of grazing to my hands (they had to pick out the gravel), concussion and a lot of bruising and pain. Right I will go out and buy a jacket and boots tomorrow. Any suggestions and prices, maybe I should check out other threads.

Jacket, you can pick up second hand ones for about 100-150 bucks. If you also like to be fasionable then it might cost a bit more. Just make sure it is a motorcycle leather jacket tho (with thick leather). If you are buying a textile or coudira jacket then definetly get ones with the elbow and shoulder armour (the ones without are shit). If I was you I'd probably get the coudira one cause it is also good for wet weather riding.

Boots, you can even pick up a good pair of hiking boots from the warehouse which do the job. Just as long as they are quite sturdy and do provide some ankle protection (above the ankle high boots), they'll be fine. Otherwise, for about 150-200, you can pick up quite nice new motorcycle boots.

I have seen my mate crash twice in a pair of $699 dollars worth top of the line race boots and break his ankle each time so it all depends on how unlucky you are but me and my bro have come off a few times in the warehouse hiking boots (back in the days), and we were sweet.

Coyote
18th January 2005, 11:26
I got some nice 'Motoline' boots from Sawyers for 150. They're the cheapest I could find and they aren't that bad for their price

hXc
18th January 2005, 20:27
MSTRS, it isn't blue tinted square sunnies. It's mirrored lense, silver framed, full sized aviators that you want. $2 dollar shop has them and you can get some off Trademe.co.nz aswell :niceone:

Motu
18th January 2005, 20:35
Oh,sorry - he's got a Jap scooter....blue tints are just sooooo Vespa.Of course you are right - mirror shades for a Jap scoot.

Scaredy Cat
18th January 2005, 20:39
Today I picked up a mobig waterproof jacket with elbow, shoulder and back armour for $200. It also has insides for summer/winter riding so I can keep cool or warm depending what I need. I might have a pair of hiking boots somewhere in the cupboard (will have to go hunting for them).

I'll go pick up my blue tinted sunnies tomorrow :laugh:

Thanks
Scaredy Cat

hXc
18th January 2005, 20:42
It's the mirror lense aviators you want not blue tints

hXc
18th January 2005, 20:44
$2 shop have great ones there :scooter: :2thumbsup