PDA

View Full Version : Front brake light problem

CB ARGH
13th August 2008, 21:44
No there isn't a brake light on the front... I mean that the brake light doesn't go on when I press in the lever, however the light does work when the rear brake is pressed.

I took apart the front lever and stuff, and got out a circuit tester thing, there is a circuit when the button ISN'T pressed, however there is no circuit when the button IS pressed (which would be when the lever is in).

HELP! :2thumbsup

Ragingrob
13th August 2008, 22:00
Ay lol?

Mine was pretty glitchy... Attack the switch with CRC or better yet contact cleaner. Make sure the switch clicks in and out easily and freely. Check that the two wires leading to it are connected firmly and attack that was contact cleaner too and give 'em a wiggle.

Then if all else fails, just paint your brake lights bright red...

Or I'm out westy way this Sat, was wanting to have a looksee at your cibby anyway :p

Resto lad
13th August 2008, 22:01
ummmm I would start by checking ,the switch at the leaver is earthing ok.
stab the sharp end of a test light. in to the black wire on the switch,
then the clamp end of test light on to a bolt hole, or non painted frame section.
when you squeeze the leaver (key on) & the light comes on, this will prove that the switch has a broken or bad earth contact,
If still no joy :-( It could be corroded contacts in the switch, those brass bits love to oxidise.
good luck
been there myself before.
other comments welcome

Ragingrob
13th August 2008, 22:02
Oh and by the way mate!!!

When the lever is pulled in, the button will be out as the lever moves aways from the dash side of the throttle, and the button will be in when the lever is at rest. :2thumbsup so sounds like the switch at least is working fine!

Do the lights work with the rear brake?

CB ARGH
14th August 2008, 19:23
Do the lights work with the rear brake?

Yeah they do...

So the switch is connected properly then, I thought it was all back to front. I'll give that earthing idea a trick. Churr!

BTW I only want people to view it when it's actually going and I'm not wabbling all over the road! :scooter:

CB ARGH
16th August 2008, 20:51
Problem resolved, just incase if anybody has the same problem here's what I did...

I took apart the switch mechanism and put a piece of VERY fine (1200+ grit) sand paper between the two contacts and gave them a squirt of CRC. Works beautifully now.

Cheers for the help guys! :mobile: