PDA

View Full Version : Soaring fuel and tax costs spark 22% jump in motorbike sales (UK)

Bikernereid
14th August 2008, 05:10
Soaring fuel and tax costs spark 22% jump in motorbike sales as motorists swap four wheels for two

As the price of fuel soars, we're getting on our bikes - motorbikes, that is.

Sales are accelerating as the eye-wateringly high cost of petrol and diesel makes owning a car prohibitive for many.

And forget the Hell's Angels stereotype - because it's well-heeled commuters who are feeling the call of the open road, according to industry sources.

Many are becoming 'born-again bikers' in their 40s and 50s.

Motorcycle sales soared 22 per cent last month to 14,306, according to the Motor Cycle Industry Association. Total sales of powered wheelers - including mopeds and scooters - have risen one per cent for the first seven months of this year compared with the same period in 2007.

This compares with a three per cent dip in new car sales in the first seven months of this year and a 13 per cent dip in car sales last month compared with July 2007.

The association's Craig Carey-Clinch said: 'Against the backdrop of the credit crunch, inflation and economic uncertainty, this has been an up and down year for the market. But there are signs that people are switching to two wheels in order to make daily travel and commuting easier and cheaper.

'Dealers report very high interest from new customers in practical commuter-type bikes, and test centres are booked solid with people wanting to take bike tests ahead of the test changes due to take effect in October.

'The July figures are good and the industry is cautiously optimistic that people are looking seriously at two-wheeled alternatives to cars and public transport.'

The biggest-selling bikes in July were two Yamaha 125cc models - the YZF R125 and the YBR 125 - reflecting an increasing demand for smaller-engined machines.

The average cost of petrol across the UK is 114.07p a litre, and diesel 126.33p.

T.I.E
14th August 2008, 05:15
no disrepect but whats ya weather like compared to new zealand?
sounds like a bike clothing place would be the thing to start up.
think of a designer lable riding jacket. hmmmmmmm paris cat walk i can see it now.
and those petrol prices are high.
im hearing the yanks complaining at the moment about there prices but they are so much lower.

polly
14th August 2008, 18:32
Hi,

I was born in the UK, and moved to NZ 5 years ago.
For 20+ years plus I did a 70 mile round trip per day into the centre of London to get to work.

The point I would like to make is that using a bike for comuting is much quicker than the alternatives, trains buses cars etc, are slower and more expensive.

I would suggest the door to door seed of doing the trip to work by motorcycle, and ease of parking, is also part of the reason for the increase in bike sales.

The weather is much the same as NZ.

Jorja
14th August 2008, 18:53
scooter sales in NZ are up by 700% in the last year. Don't know the figures for motorbikes.

Hawkeye
14th August 2008, 19:08
Hi,

I was born in the UK, and moved to NZ 5 years ago.
For 20+ years plus I did a 70 mile round trip per day into the centre of London to get to work.

The point I would like to make is that using a bike for comuting is much quicker than the alternatives, trains buses cars etc, are slower and more expensive.

I would suggest the door to door seed of doing the trip to work by motorcycle, and ease of parking, is also part of the reason for the increase in bike sales.

The weather is much the same as NZ.

Try doing it all year around when you live in the North-East (Newcastle). 3 foot snow drifts are no fun in the winter and black ice everywhere. I'd like to know when the UK weather is the same as NZ. Oh! yes. You are talking about London, not England.:bleh: