PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the US!

VFReak
18th January 2005, 08:06
Greetings from the US-of-A,

I stumbled upon this site while checking out the motorcycling scene in New Zealand.

About me - I've been a streetbike rider for about 7 years now and grew up riding small dirtbikes. I have lived in numerous places throughout the US and have also lived in Germany. I took full advantage of that and have ridden everywhere I can manage to get time to go to. I currently have a 2002 VFR and a 1998 VTR1000F Superhawk (errr, I guess you call it Firestorm, huh? ). The VFR gets ridden about 12,000 miles per year and I put a 3-4,000 on the Superhawk per year, too - about half of that at various tracks around the southern and eastern US.

I've attached a picture of my VFR, sans hardbags, and my highly-moded Superhawk in street trim. There should also be a pic of me riding the S'Hawk in track trim at Jennings Grand Prix in Florida last year.

I've been dating a wonderful Kiwi gal (who temporarily lives here in the US) the last 5 months and I think she's the one. We will be taking a 3-week holiday to New Zealand in March to see her family and for her to show me around her wonderful country. In preparing for the visit, of course, I wanted to check out the biking culture and the kinds of riding you all have at your disposal. From what I've seen, I'm dying to get down there and rent a bike!

I'll probably be lurking mostly, but I wanted to come in, introduce myself, and say "Kia Ora!"

Cheers,
Troy

Firefight
18th January 2005, 08:10
hey Troy, welcome to KB, nice pics.

F/F :ride:

Sparky Bills
18th January 2005, 08:13
Hey!!
The biking scene over here is WICKED!!
Cant beat our roads! (well maybe the surface can change a bit)
Just beware, there are strange happenings on this site!
(Shit.. Ive said too much already!) :yeah:
Keep us posted on your holiday plans, and where you'll be coming in NZ. :Punk:
While your over here, You MUST go to a Super 12 game!!(rugby)

T.I.E
18th January 2005, 08:18
sweet dude, come over. plenty of great people on this site would help if ya need anything or run into any problems any part of this country. i have been lucy enough to require the help from some. they rock.

Blakamin
18th January 2005, 08:19
Welcome... Nice photos!!!

time for Sparky's medication... he talks to much :sly:

MSTRS
18th January 2005, 08:26
'Kia Ora' ??? Is that an American term? :sneaky2: Brave lad coming on this site, but welcome anyway.
ps Watch out for the spelling/punctuation police - they are very active here.

MSTRS
18th January 2005, 08:34
Seriously, you should really enjoy our little corner of the world. Get yourself a sports/tourer to fully appreciate our roads.

vifferman
18th January 2005, 08:36
Hi, Troy! :spudwave:

From a fellow VFR and recent VTR1000 owner - Welcome to Kiwi Biker!

Were/are you on any of the US Superhawk forums (Greg Nemish's one and also www.superhawkforum.com (http://www.superhawkforum.com)) and/or the VFR list (vfr@cs.wisc.edu (vfr@cs.wisc.edu))? I was on the Superhawk forum when I had my VTR (traded it in on the VFR a couple of months back). I've also been on the VFR list for a few years, on and off ("Ian in EnZed").

My bikes haven't been quite as tricked out as yours - the VTR was limited to APE camchain tensioners, a Unifilter, Dynojet kit, lowered gearing, GenMar risers and a reset TPS. The VFR is basically stock at the moment, apart from a Staintune high-mount and grip heaters.

Hope you really enjoy your visit when you come to NZ. If you can't borrow a suitable bike, there are rental VFRs available here.

Riff Raff
18th January 2005, 08:54
:wavey: Hi mate. Welcome to the site. Keep everyone posted on when you will be over here - there will be plenty of people to go riding with. Just be aware that when you do come to New Zealand, you won't want to leave!!!

Sparky Bills
18th January 2005, 09:09
time for Sparky's medication... he talks to much :sly:

OH SHIT!!
I've run out!!
Beware everyone, Ill turn into a raving idiot soon!!
(might be too late) :shifty:

Riff Raff
18th January 2005, 09:11
OH SHIT!!
I've run out!!
Beware everyone, Ill turn into a raving idiot soon!!
(might be too late) :shifty:
Quick, someone get him a little pink girls bike!!!

Coyote
18th January 2005, 09:15
Wilkommen to the site :niceone:

Skunk
18th January 2005, 09:41
Welcome and feel free to join in the bullshit :niceone:

Sparky Bills
18th January 2005, 10:30
Quick, someone get him a little pink girls bike!!!

Its too late for me!! :crazy:

Motoracer
18th January 2005, 10:55
Welcome to the site friend. Be prepared for some good ol Yank bashing in here but that's pretty normal as the poms and the oz's (Australians) get their fair share as well. It's all light hearted fun.

I am sure you'll love our roads when you get down here.

Catch ya.

jrandom
18th January 2005, 11:01
Be prepared for some good ol Yank bashing in here...

Nah, we won't bash this one. He can spell.

crazylittleshit
18th January 2005, 11:09
MAKE SURE You come down to wellington if you do come over. Ill show you some great roads. :devil2:

vifferman
18th January 2005, 11:10
Nah, we won't bash this one. He can spell.
And he's semi-kiwi.
AND he rides a VFR and VTR, so he must be a Top Bloke. :niceone:

jrandom
18th January 2005, 12:15
he rides a VFR and VTR, so he must be a Top Bloke.

... and what IS it with the apparent compulsion of Honda V riders to name themselves after their bikes?

ajturbo
18th January 2005, 13:15
I'll probably be lurking mostly, but I wanted to come
Cheers,
Troy

oh no another lurker!! :Pokey:

i thought i was the only one....

shit that's right ... i'm the stalker! :devil2:

but been to Key West?
i cruised around there on a rented harley..... drank a bit of what you guys call beer.....i thought the navy boys were suppose to be harden drinkers??????

i drank acouple to fall of thier seats... i walked out, to the next bar.... :apint:

vifferman
18th January 2005, 13:28
... and what IS it with the apparent compulsion of Honda V riders to name themselves after their bikes?
You'd know iffen you owned one....

Mebbe I'll let you have a ride of the VifFerraRi when you're biggerer.

jrandom
18th January 2005, 13:49
Mebbe I'll let you have a ride of the VifFerraRi when you're biggerer.

Any biggerer than I am now and you'll be spending the rest of the day trying to get the rear suspension back into a state of sanity.

vifferman
18th January 2005, 14:12
Any biggerer than I am now and you'll be spending the rest of the day trying to get the rear suspension back into a state of sanity.
You're assuming it was sane to begin with....

Actual, it was field-tested by TheTwoPuddings™ before purchase, so even YourMightyGirthsomeSelf™ shouldn't be able to break it.

Unlike my zipper. Which MyMightyGirthsomeSelf™ broke at luncheontime.:argh:
And my HappySmileyHappyKeyring™ which broke all by itself when I arrived at work. :sneaky2:

It seems to be a GrumpyBreakingSortOfADay™ today, so I hope I don't break the VifFerraRi tonight, or I'll be in VeryBigTrouble™ with the vifferbabe™.:eek5:

Gasman
18th January 2005, 14:22
Welcome to KB. As you will have noticed, things get kinda wierd around here.....fast! If you want real good rides, the South Island is a must. Bloody long way to come though!

Good to see those pics.

Riff Raff
18th January 2005, 14:30
Its too late for me!! :crazy:
Yes, I suspect you're right! :bleh:

Devil
18th January 2005, 14:49
field-tested by TheTwoPuddings™
I'll be sending you a bill for the coffee in my keyboard. :not:

VFReak
18th January 2005, 14:57
Thanks for the replies everyone. The Girl's family lives in Aukland, but we have plans to travel throughout both islands.

Unfortunately, I just had reconstructive shoulder surgery two weeks ago, so I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to ride while I'm there. Dang it! :angry:

But if not this time, I'm sure I'll be back again shortly afterwards....everything I've seen about NZ appeals to me and I have a feeling it will be hard for me to leave - and easy for me to come back to!

- Troy

vifferman
18th January 2005, 15:01
I'll be sending you a bill for the coffee in my keyboard. :not:
If it's a goodun, that would be about $3.

The coffee, I mean. :blink:
I could just make you one, when I get some fresh beans again. :spudbooge

VFReak
18th January 2005, 15:03
:argh: I'm just getting used to how to use the quotes here...corrected in below post. Hey, can't we delete our own posts? How?

VFReak
18th January 2005, 15:04
Hi, Troy! :spudwave:

From a fellow VFR and recent VTR1000 owner - Welcome to Kiwi Biker!

Were/are you on any of the US Superhawk forums (Greg Nemish's one and also www.superhawkforum.com (http://www.superhawkforum.com)) and/or the VFR list (vfr@cs.wisc.edu (vfr@cs.wisc.edu))? I was on the Superhawk forum when I had my VTR (traded it in on the VFR a couple of months back). I've also been on the VFR list for a few years, on and off ("Ian in EnZed").

I am members of all those sites you listed, though I'm not very active. I'm pretty active at: Sport-Touring.net (http://www.sport-touring.net/), VFRdiscussion (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/scgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Portal), and Two Wheel Touring (http://www.twowheeltouring.net/)

Troy

vifferman
18th January 2005, 15:05
I am members of all those sites you listed, though I'm not very active. I'm pretty active at: Sport-Touring.net (http://www.sport-touring.net/), VFRdiscussion (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/scgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Portal), and Two Wheel Touring (http://www.twowheeltouring.net/)

Troy
Yeah, I'm (sometimes) on ST-N too (ex-viffer). I've checked out VFRdiscussion as well.
Be sure to check in here again before you come to NZ. I live in D'Auckland, as do many quite friendly KBers (and some rabid ones), so it'd be good to catch up if you have time when you're here.

VFReak
18th January 2005, 15:15
My screen name is troy_voorhees on those other sites. I'm not quite sure why I didn't go with that here? :unsure:

Is there a 'bike night' in Aukland in the summer...or a good summertime motorcycle hangout? I'd like to swing by for a brew and to shoot the shit with fellow riders while I'm in town.

Troy

vifferman
18th January 2005, 15:23
My screen name is troy_voorhees on those other sites. I'm not quite sure why I didn't go with that here? :unsure:
Yup - I've seen you on ST-N.
I dunno why I've got several different aliases on various forums either. :spudwhat:

Is there a 'bike night' in Aukland in the summer...or a good summertime motorcycle hangout? I'd like to swing by for a brew and to shoot the shit with fellow riders while I'm in town.

There are motorcycle clubs here that probably have regular meetings. But I dunno. Easy enough to organise one at shortish notice though.

Joni
18th January 2005, 15:54
Hello Troy...
Welcome to KB.
:2thumbsup
PS - Nice pics...

wari
19th January 2005, 00:53
HOwda helllp didi miss you arriving ... :spudwhat: ...

I Dont norm-ally missa thing ... :blink:

YOu'll be needin' one of these ===> :moon: ... they're cullturally accept-able down here mate ... in some cases man-datorry ... :yeah:

:spudwave: ... :spudbooge

FROSTY
19th January 2005, 01:56
Heya and welcolm troy, sorry typing one fingered here,

wari
19th January 2005, 02:44
Heya and welcolm troy, sorry typing one fingered here,
:killingme ... DUnno .. itwas funny atda time ... :spudwhat:

LB
19th January 2005, 04:13
Hi VFReak - welcome to the site.

Should you happen to be in the South Island 19/20 March, there's a big race meeting at Ruapuna (Christchurch) - the John Britten Memorial meeting - richest prize money in NZ. It'll be a good meeting.

Also Pukekohe (near Auckland) is hosting a round of the National Points series on 5/6 March, it'll be a good meeting also.

VFReak
20th January 2005, 12:24
Hi VFReak - welcome to the site.

Should you happen to be in the South Island 19/20 March, there's a big race meeting at Ruapuna (Christchurch) - the John Britten Memorial meeting - richest prize money in NZ. It'll be a good meeting.

Also Pukekohe (near Auckland) is hosting a round of the National Points series on 5/6 March, it'll be a good meeting also.

LB -

Thanks, that's some great info. I'd love to make it to the Britten Memorial meeting, but I think I depart on the 20th from AUK. The race near Auckland may be do-able, though, and I'd love to go spectate.

Troy

Wellyman
20th January 2005, 12:29
Welcome mate . nice track bike

MSTRS
20th January 2005, 13:29
The Girl's

Unfortunately, I just had reconstructive shoulder surgery two weeks ago, so I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to ride while I'm there. Dang it! :angry:

....everything I've seen about NZ appeals to me and I have a feeling it will be hard for me to leave - and easy for me to come back to!

- Troy
pssst - a quiet word in your shell-like....
'The Girl's' referred to here as Miss VFReak or Her Who Must Be Obeyed
Surgery??.Harden up, man. We've got riders here with no arms and one leg - they manage.
NZ appeals.....hard to leave. Dunno, can't get off this site long enough to find out. :cry: :killingme :innocent:

outlawtorn
21st January 2005, 09:49
Hi Vreak, welcome to the site, once you've arrived in NZ you'll never want to go back to the states, I've been here for 6 months and I don't want to leave, this is the best country in the world!

Enjoy the site and enjoy your trip out here in March, hopefully you'll have nice sunny weather - a-ha hah ha ha ha, sorry that's my twisted sense of humour acting up again. No seriously, hope you have some nice weather.

hondav2
21st January 2005, 18:47
Hi Troy, When your in the south Is call in and see me at Te Anau. The road from my place to Milford Sound is the best ride in N.Z. Send me an email about 2 weeks b 4 you get here. I will b in the USA , Canada, Alaska from late May for 3-6 months . Buying a DR650 so I can do all those dirt roads inAlaska. Will be in Dawson City for a bikers pissup on longest day and also Sturgis Rally in August. I must take my HOG menbers card so I can do the HOG things on me Suzi.World Superbikes are first weekend in Melbourne, make your holiday a bit longer and come over with us, just booked my plane tickets , only $400 each. Cheers Toddy

Indiana_Jones
21st January 2005, 19:44
Don't bash the yanks, They're Britain's good friend :hug:
Thanks for the hand in the war guys :D

-Indy

sels1
21st January 2005, 21:46
Welcome aboard Troy. You might find your trip isnt long enough!

VFReak
24th January 2005, 11:54
Hi Troy, When your in the south Is call in and see me at Te Anau. The road from my place to Milford Sound is the best ride in N.Z. Send me an email about 2 weeks b 4 you get here. I will b in the USA , Canada, Alaska from late May for 3-6 months . Buying a DR650 so I can do all those dirt roads inAlaska. Will be in Dawson City for a bikers pissup on longest day and also Sturgis Rally in August. I must take my HOG menbers card so I can do the HOG things on me Suzi.World Superbikes are first weekend in Melbourne, make your holiday a bit longer and come over with us, just booked my plane tickets , only $400 each. Cheers Toddy

Whoa, it sounds like you have quite some travels planned for this year. I wish I could just take off for 6 months to go riding - I'm jealous! Have fun!

Troy

magnum
24th January 2005, 14:13
hello and welcome in ;)

inlinefour
26th January 2005, 23:25
welcome and enjoy :bleh: