PDA

View Full Version : Riding gear, specifically pants

HenryDorsetCase
18th January 2005, 10:44
Here's the thing. I am your typical re-entry rider (and loving it!). I have previously worn the usual assortment of kit: Leather pants, boots jackets whatever.

I shouted myself an RJAYS textile riding suit (on special at motomail...$179 jacket and $99 pants) which I wore on a three day mini tour of the south island.

So far so good except the pants are awful. On a hot day they make my legs sweat (and what it does to my nethers doesnt bear thinking about.... ecccch)
plus they were uncomfortable, and the "armour" is crap.

Since reading Peter Egans latest CW column (Feb 2005) and my own inclination is to get some decent pants. I think leather might be more breathable and I can buy knee armour and hip pads from motomail for $70... and can retrofit them I think to my existing pants.

Or I can buy some decent textile or leather pants. But are all the cordura ones so awful to wear?

Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks....

Devil
18th January 2005, 10:49
Thats what I'd expect with $99 pants.

I have a pair of motoline cordura pants, would have been $199 or $249 or so. They're excellent. Comfy, dry, breathable with zip-out winter liner.

jrandom
18th January 2005, 10:51
I wear an Orina two-piece zip-together textile suit. Waterproof and breathable, cost me $700 two years ago. Really cheap gear tends to be uncomfortable. If you buy textile, make sure it breathes.

My suit would be perfect if it was the right size for me, but I bought it one size too big (XXL instead of XL), which compromises the ability of the armour to protect my joints. Don't make the same mistake.

No matter what gear you get, buy a big plasticky garment of some sort to wear over it in heavy rain.

Devil
18th January 2005, 10:53
No matter what gear you get, buy a big plasticky garment of some sort to wear over it in heavy rain.
Does your gear leak? I havent had any leaking problems at all with a seperate spool jacket and motoline pants.
Though my gear has never been washed... (however after the last KB ride I was on, the jacket seems to have a light coating of bug guts.)

jrandom
18th January 2005, 10:59
Does your gear leak? I havent had any leaking problems at all with a seperate spool jacket and motoline pants.

Yup. In heavy rain water gets in between the jacket and pants at the front, and I get a wet tummy and crotch. Which is really annoying when I subsequently have to sit at a desk with it for several hours.

A PVC parka solves that problem.

Though my gear has never been washed...

Neither has mine. Mrs Random makes me keep it outside, now.

vifferman
18th January 2005, 11:04
I wear leather pants that I had armour added to by Kerrie at MSW. It gets a bit hot, but otherwise they're good. Coated with SnoSeal wax, they're showerproof, but if it rains, I wear Motoline pants over the top, for 100% waterproofing.

My Teknic Hurricane jacket (mostly textile) was waterproof, until I treated it with SnoSeal waterproofing, one that is very expensive, and is supposed to be a 100% waterproof heat-activated polymer treatment. First time I wore it in rain, it was (in parts, at least) 100% absorbent. I've now treated it with Scotchgard, and apart froma few bits that need retreatment, it's better.

But that SnoSeal stuff (the stuff in the spray bottle, NOT the wax or Sportwash) is complete and utter crap :mad:. I dunno whether it just didn't get hot enough to activate the polymer, or the heating process fucked up the breathable fabric in the jacket, but I'm really pissed on (like pissed off, but wet.)

All gear is a compromise, one way or another. Leather offers good protection (if it's well made) but is hot, not waterproof, and not very warm when it's cold. Textile is more versatile, but doesn't offer good abrasion resistance. In an ideal world, I'd have two leather suits (one perforated), a good textile suit, and a compact rain suit. But I'm not rich, so I have one set of gear, plus waterproof overpants, and several pairs of gloves, and I get by. :whocares:

vifferman
18th January 2005, 11:07
Though my gear has never been washed... (however after the last KB ride I was on, the jacket seems to have a light coating of bug guts.)
I wash my jacket with SnoSeal Sportwash. Just bung it in the machine and dry it on the line. However, the road spooge doesn't all wash out - it may be bonded onto the fabric now, so the jacket looks permanently dirty.
Leathers can also be washed (my jacket's about 30% leather), although I've never washed my leather pants (apart from in the rain :eek5: ).

Coyote
18th January 2005, 11:10
I'm looking for a jacket and pants so I don't have to wear the 1 peice all the time. I haven't got all that much money but I can save up. So far I'm looking at some black draggin jeans cause I can go to school and use them as uniform, and I'm also interested in this Dririder Streetfighter Jacket. What other gear should I have a look at?

HenryDorsetCase
18th January 2005, 11:11
Thats what I'd expect with $99 pants.

I have a pair of motoline cordura pants, would have been $199 or $249 or so. They're excellent. Comfy, dry, breathable with zip-out winter liner.

cheers

Yup the adage that you get what you pay for holds true as always.

Will investigate some more but breathable is the key....

I still have my bright orangey yellow one piece PVC suit with the zips up the arms, cant remember who made it. Trouble with that is you sweat so much inside, you may as well not be wearing it....

:)

vifferman
18th January 2005, 11:17
I still have my bright orangey yellow one piece PVC suit with the zips up the arms, cant remember who made it. Trouble with that is you sweat so much inside, you may as well not be wearing it....

:)
Yeah, I had a 100% waterproof suit (can't remember the brand). Wore it a few times then sold it, as if there was even a hint of any sunshine, I literally cooked in it. :crazy: It had no vents and didn't breathe at all.

My Motoline pants aren't breathable, but being loose(ish), I don't get too hot. Even so, I don't wear them unless absolutely necessary, as they make me slide around on the seat.:confused:

Devil
18th January 2005, 11:39
I've never washed my leather pants (apart from in the rain :eek5: ).
I bet they've got a wildlife sanctuary of their own. Heh. *twitch*

Lou Girardin
18th January 2005, 12:05
Here's the thing. I am your typical re-entry rider (and loving it!). I have previously worn the usual assortment of kit: Leather pants, boots jackets whatever.

I shouted myself an RJAYS textile riding suit (on special at motomail...$179 jacket and $99 pants) which I wore on a three day mini tour of the south island.

So far so good except the pants are awful. On a hot day they make my legs sweat (and what it does to my nethers doesnt bear thinking about.... ecccch)
plus they were uncomfortable, and the "armour" is crap.

Since reading Peter Egans latest CW column (Feb 2005) and my own inclination is to get some decent pants. I think leather might be more breathable and I can buy knee armour and hip pads from motomail for $70... and can retrofit them I think to my existing pants.

Or I can buy some decent textile or leather pants. But are all the cordura ones so awful to wear?

Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks....

Spidi GT pants. Armoured, vented, comfy, even have some leather on the arse for the fetishists who can't live without it.

FlyingDutchMan
18th January 2005, 13:50
I wear an Orina two-piece zip-together textile suit. Waterproof and breathable, cost me $700 two years ago. Really cheap gear tends to be uncomfortable. If you buy textile, make sure it breathes.

My suit would be perfect if it was the right size for me, but I bought it one size too big (XXL instead of XL), which compromises the ability of the armour to protect my joints. Don't make the same mistake.

I got meself a orina jacket and it fits well, and while it occansionally seems to absorb water, but I haven't gotten wet on the inside of it yet. I only have a complaint about it - the neck is too big on it and the velco flap doesn't meet up properly.

vifferman
18th January 2005, 14:01
I got meself a orina jacket and it fits well, and while it occansionally seems to absorb water, but I haven't gotten wet on the inside of it yet. I only have a complaint about it - the neck is too big on it and the velco flap doesn't meet up properly.
Well, sounds like the Orina (or is that "Urina"?) pants/jackets aren't any better than the crappy glubs I bought which started to fall apart on the seams after a few wearings.
Till I hot-glued them.

As you do. :wacko:

Pwalo
18th January 2005, 14:02
I have Orina (Denver?) overtrousers with armour in the knees and a zip out lining. Cool enough in summer for commuting, and pretty good in the winter.

Had to spray them with Sno Seal waterproofing after a few wet days, but not a problem after that. They work pretty well in a crash as well.

Gasman
18th January 2005, 14:07
I'm with the other Orina wearers. My gear is getting on, but has been totally reliable. Naturally it gets hot in the summer, but not too bad. Certainly not as bad as you're suggesting for the gear you've got. I also bought a second pair of trou, called Neo. Cheap and cheerful they are, but very waterproof and with zip out liners. Because they were cheap I expected crap, but so far they've proven to be good value. On really hot days they get sweaty, but what doesn't?

Krusti
18th January 2005, 14:08
We love our Dragin jeans $199 at moment i think. Yet to test them on road surface but way better than jeans and they dont look Wanky walking around town.

vifferman
18th January 2005, 14:14
Pants. :blank:

Krusti
18th January 2005, 14:16
RD1 farm supply stores also stock Outback oilskin/japara vests and leggings. We got our sets for $140 for both. Leggings fold up smallish and are easy to put on and off. Way cheaper than bike shops!

sels1
19th January 2005, 07:57
We love our Dragin jeans $199 at moment i think. Yet to test them on road surface but way better than jeans and they dont look Wanky walking around town.

I am considering getting Dragin jeans for summer/urban riding. Anyone else had good/bad experience with them??

I have an RJays textile suit which was cheap but I am not unhappy with it. Hasnt leaked yet and is reasonably comfortable but the pants are a bit hot & sticky at this time of year.

Skunk
19th January 2005, 11:13
The only thing with Draggin Jeans is there is no impact armour... :thud:

jrandom
19th January 2005, 11:26
I also bought a second pair of trou, called Neo. Cheap and cheerful they are...

That reminds me.

When I was getting my new tyres on at Mt Eden MC recently, their dastardly strategy of taking longer than I thought they would bore fruit when I got bored and decided that a properly armoured (or at least with any armour whatsoever) pair of summer glubs would be a good idea, since my old Teknics are a bit too light for protective comfort.

I bought a 'Neo' brand pair for $79, leather with extra layers in the usual slidey places and hard plastic knuckle and finger joint armour.

Pretty damn good for the price, I reckon.