PDA

View Full Version : Miss Behavin' in Sturgis

RDJ
19th August 2008, 23:16
The plan was to spend few days riding out from LA, maybe Bryce Canyon, maybe Monument Valley. But if I could get a few more days I could go via Sturgis - would be my first trip there.

So, landed on Wednesday night, picked up Miss B (my '01 502 ci V8 bike) Thursday and headed out via Nevada (Vegas), Utah (Provo), Wyoming (Laramie), then South Dakota (a night in Hill City and three in Rapid City). Rode the Black Hills 'circuit' with Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse etc. and spent one day seeing the bikes and other sights in Sturgis itself, before heading south to Arizona to Monument Valley, then back to Los Angeles again on the second Saturday (via Flagstaff). Lots of different weather - 118F in the deserts, 56F in the mountains!

Apparently the Sturgis numbers were down by about 30% from usual and while the roads were congested at times they never seemed to be jammed.

A few mechanical gremlins visited but did not stay too long. Biggest delay was 200 miles south of Sturgis, with a major electrical malfunction, fortunately fixable with basic tools and advice from the factory / dealer.

Lessons learned:

1. A phone can be even more useful than a toolkit.

2. I should put the rain gear on before I get wet.

3. Best mileage on my 502 is ~22mpg (worst mileage on my 502 is, actually, quite a bit less than 22... but who cares...)

4. To really stand out in Sturgis is quite simple - wear a full face helment and ATGATT!

5. With an 8.5 gallon main tank, 2.5 gallon reserve, and highway pegs, a man can ride clear across a state with only one stop.

6. Not sure who was more startled - the deer or me.

7. I really must invest in Loctite.

8. A V8 makes a great touring bike. Riding through Arizona / Wyoming, you have to downshift maybe twice an hour!

3302 miles. A great ride.

RDJ
19th August 2008, 23:18
A few pictures from the trip

RDJ
19th August 2008, 23:20
And a couple more

scumdog
19th August 2008, 23:21
I'm jealous.

Been to Sturgis - but not on a bike, gonna be there in 2011.

Why did they think the numbers were down - i.e what caused less to attend Biker Week??

RDJ
19th August 2008, 23:22
Back in the big smoke for a couple of days

Bren
19th August 2008, 23:22
what a great set of wheels....woulda been a blast!

RDJ
19th August 2008, 23:24
Some seriously interesting customs

scumdog
19th August 2008, 23:25
Saw some of them on the cyclespot site.

RDJ
19th August 2008, 23:27
..and a few more

(The Purple Bike Mover brings a whole new meaning to 'trailering the bike' - about 150K$US for the combo...)

RDJ
19th August 2008, 23:29
Why did they think the numbers were down - i.e what caused less to attend Biker Week??

Apparently, it was the cost of gas at well over US4$ per US gallon... considering most people were coming from reasonably far away, and a pretty high percentage were trailering, or in RVs etc.

Headbanger
19th August 2008, 23:35
AWESOME.

:gob::gob::gob::gob:

Your my new hero.

scumdog
19th August 2008, 23:43
Apparently, it was the cost of gas at well over US4$ per US gallon... considering most people were coming from reasonably far away, and a pretty high percentage were trailering, or in RVs etc.

Hmm, $9:00 a gallon here.

Even at 68 cents in the dollar that's a shit-load more money needed for each galon.

That will teach the wimpy bugger to trailer ot TV their bikes there.

Winston001
20th August 2008, 04:04
Great trip and thanks for the report. Its a shame I didn't know you were going, I'd have suggested turning into the Rockies at Denver onto US265 then onto US160 which would have taken you over Wolf Creek Pass - 10,000 feet, then into Pueblo Indian cliff dwelling territory. Then onto Durango, Page and you are in the Canyonlands. South through Monument Valley or wander around first, you could spend a week in this vast area, it is majestic desert, canyons and rock spires.

Anyway I'm sure you know this and there is always another time.

n0regret5
20th August 2008, 07:25
i would love to ride a 'hoss..they're just oozing "i'm a wanker and you can kiss my arse", but in a cool way. saw one in the flesh at our Americarna festival last year, they're not as big as i thought!

i don't think i'd make it very far into sturgis on a TL1000S streetfighter...

outlawtorn
20th August 2008, 10:16
thanks for the pics and the writeup!!!!!

Dooly
20th August 2008, 10:30
How was that beast like to handle and manouvre at low speeds?

RDJ
20th August 2008, 11:56
How was that beast like to handle and manouvre at low speeds?

It's surprisingly easy - has a very low C of G and of course semi-auto transmission.

It's not a true canyon carver but going through Provo Canyon as well as through the Arizona mountains was pretty easy (bags of torque...). The only thing it does not do well is queue up in city traffic when the temperature 'outside' is in the 90s...; a watercooled V8 big block gets very hot in those cir\cumstances...

RDJ
20th August 2008, 11:57
Great trip and thanks for the report. Its a shame I didn't know you were going, I'd have suggested turning into the Rockies at Denver onto US265 then onto US160 which would have taken you over Wolf Creek Pass - 10,000 feet, then into Pueblo Indian cliff dwelling territory. Then onto Durango, Page and you are in the Canyonlands. South through Monument Valley or wander around first, you could spend a week in this vast area, it is majestic desert, canyons and rock spires.

Anyway I'm sure you know this and there is always another time.

That's a nice route, thanks for highlighting it; I had not really looked at that route this time due to time constraints but it's definitely one to look at for next time!

Thunder 8
20th August 2008, 16:08
The plan was to spend few days riding out from LA, maybe Bryce Canyon, maybe Monument Valley. But if I could get a few more days I could go via Sturgis - would be my first trip there.

So, landed on Wednesday night, picked up Miss B (my '01 502 ci V8 bike) Thursday and headed out via Nevada (Vegas), Utah (Provo), Wyoming (Laramie), then South Dakota (a night in Hill City and three in Rapid City). Rode the Black Hills 'circuit' with Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse etc. and spent one day seeing the bikes and other sights in Sturgis itself, before heading south to Arizona to Monument Valley, then back to Los Angeles again on the second Saturday (via Flagstaff). Lots of different weather - 118F in the :shit:deserts, 56F in the mountains!

Apparently the Sturgis numbers were down by about 30% from usual and while the roads were congested at times they never seemed to be jammed.

A few mechanical gremlins visited but did not stay too long. Biggest delay was 200 miles south of Sturgis, with a major electrical malfunction, fortunately fixable with basic tools and advice from the factory / dealer.

Lessons learned:

3. Best mileage on my 502 is ~22mpg (worst mileage on my 502 is, actually, quite a bit less than 22... but who cares...)

4. To really stand out in Sturgis is quite simple - wear a full face helment and ATGATT!

5. With an 8.5 gallon main tank, 2.5 gallon reserve, and highway pegs, a man can ride clear across a state with only one stop.

8. A V8 makes a great touring bike. Riding through Arizona / Wyoming, you have to downshift maybe twice an hour!

Howdy Rene hows it going.
You've just upset my day.Made me jealous as hell:crybaby:
That must have been an awesome trip,really enjoyed your pics and the bike looks mighty sweet.
Thanks for the great read.:niceone::niceone:
Cheers AJ.

RDJ
20th August 2008, 21:45
Howdy Rene hows it going.
You've just upset my day.Made me jealous as hell:crybaby:
That must have been an awesome trip,really enjoyed your pics and the bike looks mighty sweet.
Thanks for the great read.:niceone::niceone:
Cheers AJ.

Hiya AJ! yes it was a sweet ride. Which is why I am so conflicted about leaving the bike in LA v bringing it back to NZ... How's your V8 riding these days?

Thunder 8
20th August 2008, 21:58
Hiya AJ! yes it was a sweet ride. Which is why I am so conflicted about leaving the bike in LA v bringing it back to NZ... How's your V8 riding these days?
Yep its going real well having a lot of fun on it.Bigger motor is the next step tho i think.....getting power hungry heh heh.
No conflict i reckon Rene.Bring it back with ya.:cool:
All the best.
AJ.

Winston001
21st August 2008, 11:39
That's a nice route, thanks for highlighting it; I had not really looked at that route this time due to time constraints but it's definitely one to look at for next time!

The advantage of the route, which I discovered by accident 20 years ago, is that it is scenic, has bends, and avoids the interstate while still being a good road. Takes you through remote deserts and canyonland.

There is the red sand dunes National Park near Alamosa, then west over Wolf Creek Pass to Pueblo cliff dwellings, south to Ship Rock, Four Corners, west to Durango, then to the mesa above Mexican Hat from where you can decide to go south to the Canyon or north and west to Bryce, Glen, Capitol Reef, Goosenecks etc etc.

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Matt Bleck
21st August 2008, 13:17
Great write up and cool pics, lovin that purple thing!

avgas
21st August 2008, 14:29
how come you have the miss behavin bike but not the helmet?
some nice wheels there - love the wagon too

RDJ
21st August 2008, 16:27
how come you have the miss behavin bike but not the helmet?
some nice wheels there - love the wagon too

I didn't know there was a Miss B helmet! :confused:

chubby
22nd August 2008, 12:35
Thanks for the report and pics. That would have been a fantastic run. Good on you.

avgas
22nd August 2008, 12:45
I didn't know there was a Miss B helmet! :confused:
This is what you want - but there are some better pics of it some where where it shows the back which sez "Miss Behavin' " (http://www.kbc-helmet.com/kbcbbs/zboard.php?id=street05&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=3)

RDJ
22nd August 2008, 13:09
This is what you want - but there are some better pics of it some where where it shows the back which sez "Miss Behavin' " (http://www.kbc-helmet.com/kbcbbs/zboard.php?id=street05&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=3)

Thanks for the tip! but that helmet's a bit high profile :cool: compared to my discreet Shoei :lol:

avgas
22nd August 2008, 13:27
Thanks for the tip! but that helmet's a bit high profile :cool: compared to my discreet Shoei :lol:
errr ok man riding 1 ton of supermarine spitfire muscle lol
Isn't that like Micheal Phelps trying to cover up the speedo logo on his banana hammock?
Nah but the Shoei will do you better anywho

RDJ
22nd August 2008, 13:32
;) it's only about 1800 lbs with full fluids and luggage and me :woohoo:

The Lone Rider
3rd September 2008, 23:11
i don't think i'd make it very far into sturgis on a TL1000S streetfighter...

Thats where you are wrong...

Get your shoei helmet airbrushed :)

n0regret5
4th September 2008, 07:09
Thats where you are wrong...

Get your shoei helmet airbrushed :)

pfft the hell with that, i just bought one of these...

The Lone Rider
4th September 2008, 15:13
pfft the hell with that, i just bought one of these...

The owner of the Hoss needs to get his Shoei airbrushed

YOU are the one wrong about what bike will make do at Sturgis

RDJ
4th September 2008, 15:27
Quote:

"The owner of the Hoss needs to get his Shoei airbrushed"

Been there done that... (well, the Craniotomy Helmet is actually an Arai :-) )

n0regret5
4th September 2008, 15:29
The owner of the Hoss needs to get his Shoei airbrushed

YOU are the one wrong about what bike will make do at Sturgis

ah. it's all falling into place, now..
mint then i'm fully gonna make a trip someday. when i have oodles of money with which to buy tickets..

Subike
4th September 2008, 15:40
those helmets are just the thing

Subike
4th September 2008, 15:41
now that I like!

The Lone Rider
4th September 2008, 16:28
ew, skull one with brain a bit much for me!

I think that bomber one posted before would be perfect.

And.. get yourself a bomber jacket!

Squadron badge for the shoulder even hehe

hondav2
9th September 2008, 23:04

So, landed on Wednesday night, picked up Miss B (my '01 502 ci V8 bike) Thursday and headed out via Nevada (Vegas), Utah (Provo), Wyoming (Laramie), then South Dakota (a night in Hill City and three in Rapid City). Rode the Black Hills 'circuit' with Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse etc. and spent one day seeing the bikes and other sights in Sturgis itself, before heading south to Arizona to Monument Valley, then back to Los Angeles again on the second Saturday (via Flagstaff). Lots of different weather - 118F in the deserts, 56F in the mountains!

Lessons learned:

I was at Sturgis in 05 and 06 . I thought the numbers were down the 2nd year I went. Also I think the bikers are going to other rallys that are cheaper. Its an eye opener aye. I travelled 47,000 miles around Nth America on a DR650 . I had all the states I went to written on the tank and the yanks just loved looking at it. I reckon 50% ship there bikes in . If you are ever down south look me up. Cheers Toddy