PDA

View Full Version : HID lights?

cheese
20th August 2008, 15:10
I've just got back from China and I found some HID light kits over there for about $100 NZD per light. Anyone keen? they were 35w ones (which is very very bright) May require some moding to get into your bike, but would be worth it!

CookMySock
20th August 2008, 15:40
I've just got back from China and I found some HID light kits over there for about $100 NZD per light. Anyone keen? they were 35w ones (which is very very bright) May require some moding to get into your bike, but would be worth it!You can get them here on trademe for less than that. I paid $150 for a SET which did two bikes high-beam.

HIDs are great fun to use, look devastating in use, and stick out like dogs balls, but can be problematic, with large amounts of radio frequency interference from them destroying everything is sight. Nasty. Casualties include destroyed hotgrips controllers (4) and a digital dash that locks up.

Steve

cheese
20th August 2008, 17:02
bloody hell that is cheap! Never mind them, mods delete!

breakaway
20th August 2008, 18:44
You can get them here on trademe for less than that. I paid $150 for a SET which did two bikes high-beam.

HIDs are great fun to use, look devastating in use, and stick out like dogs balls, but can be problematic, with large amounts of radio frequency interference from them destroying everything is sight. Nasty. Casualties include destroyed hotgrips controllers (4) and a digital dash that locks up.

Steve

How do you stop this interference?

Cajun
20th August 2008, 18:44
could be releated to the bike they are being put on.

imdying
20th August 2008, 19:12
How do you stop this interference?

Don't buy cheap shite.

Blackbird
20th August 2008, 19:23
Don't buy cheap shite.

Yep, I've seen these problems with cheap ones mentioned on the UK Blackbird website. You pays yer money and takes yer choice. I've attached the blurb from from Jaws Motorcycles website in the UK.

cs363
20th August 2008, 19:51
Be aware too that HID bulbs are illegal if fitted to non-HID housings (lamps)

cs363
20th August 2008, 19:53
In fact here is the actual blurb from LTSA:

High intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits
HID conversion kits (an HID bulb with a high voltage power unit or ‘ballast’ which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing) are illegal on any vehicle being used on New Zealand roads.

However, a complete halogen headlamp unit can be replaced with a complete HID headlamp unit provided that the replacement headlamp unit complies with approved standards. If in doubt, get advice from a vehicle lighting retailer you trust.

Tinting
It is illegal to apply any kind of tint film, tint paint or opaque sticker to any lamp which has a function other than decoration (eg non-cosmetic).

BOGAR
9th September 2008, 16:40
I have been trying to find out WHY they are illegal. It seems that here and overseas they have been illegal for a while and the closest things seems to be the reflector as you can replace the whole unit including reflector and it is ok (as stated in above / last thread). I realise that a different bulb in the light housing may put the focus out :scratch: or is it because they scatter more light rather than direct it as a low beam would ?? :scratch:
But does anyone know apart from the person who made the law change? :scratch:

CookMySock
9th September 2008, 17:40
You don't even HAVE to have a fullbeam light. The lowbeam must be WOFable. Thats it.

The bottom line is, if it gets a WOF and it looks kosher, then nothing else matters. Mr Fuzz is not going to go out of his way to track you down and process you coz you have a fonky headlamp.

My lowbeam is factory standard, my highbeam is modified HID. No one cares except me - it looks awesome and NO ONE pulls out in front me coz it is scary bright.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would like to suggest that if you want to do the mod, then you don't want to know either. Just do it and have fun.

If it won't get a WOF, then put an incandescent bulb back in to get the WOF and then swap the HID back.

I see you are near to me. Shoot over and look at our mods if you like.

Steve

Blackbird
9th September 2008, 18:09
Because of the shape of the Blackbird headlight, it's low beam which gets the benefit of HID treatment. I've also seen debates on other websites about the advisability of putting an HID on high beam because of allegedly shortening the life by more frequently switching it on and off. I use the term allegedly because I've never seen a definitive statement on this.

CookMySock
9th September 2008, 19:57
[....] about the advisability of putting an HID on high beam because of allegedly shortening the life by more frequently switching it on and off.I put mine on highbeam and never put it on low unless I'm following a cop or something. Yep, fullbeam HID everywhere - stands out like dogs balls a kilometer away. edit: I'll dip it if someone flashes me, but that happens prolly once a month.

Steve

Tank
9th September 2008, 21:19
I put mine on highbeam and never put it on low unless I'm following a cop or something. Yep, fullbeam HID everywhere - stands out like dogs balls a kilometer away. edit: I'll dip it if someone flashes me, but that happens prolly once a month.

Steve

Way to annoy other motorist, bikers and the like.

Personally I think that the HID upgrade is a good idea if the bike dosnt have good lighting to start, but NEVER high beam other road users - its an arse thing to do.

Gremlin
9th September 2008, 23:51
Because of the shape of the Blackbird headlight, it's low beam which gets the benefit of HID treatment. I've also seen debates on other websites about the advisability of putting an HID on high beam because of allegedly shortening the life by more frequently switching it on and off.
The other issue is that they take time to come up to full power... I have my HID on the low beam... the Philips +50 on high beam adds this tiny little yellow spot on the top right of the beam :laugh:

Yep, fullbeam HID everywhere - stands out like dogs balls a kilometer away. edit: I'll dip it if someone flashes me, but that happens prolly once a month.
You're forgetting about the angle of the light... you're much more likely to blind oncoming vehicles... more possible to miss you if they can't see anything aye?

CookMySock
10th September 2008, 08:32
Way to annoy other motorist, bikers and the like.

Personally I think that the HID upgrade is a good idea if the bike dosnt have good lighting to start, but NEVER high beam other road users - its an arse thing to do.:sweatdrop :sweatdrop Like you would know. The safe passage of my arse is vastly more important to me than some complaining motorist who regularly "doesn't see me." They see me now, thats for sure, and I am behind no one for more than 15 seconds anyway - different story on your cruiser for sure. :laugh:

The other issue is that they take time to come up to full power... I have my HID on the low beam... the Philips +50 on high beam adds this tiny little yellow spot on the top right of the beam :laugh:Yes it is spooky putting my lights from low to high beam, as there is a full second before the lamp begins is magical transition through the colour spectrum. Awesome! Yeah mock the conventional +50 being the piece of crap it is.. :laugh:

You're forgetting about the angle of the light... you're much more likely to blind oncoming vehicles... more possible to miss you if they can't see anything aye?For dipped beam ? Yes, this is the legal/WOF issue, and partly the reason why I didn't mod my dip beam. The other reason was I never use the dip beam. :laugh:

There IS one safety issue with HIDs on fullbeam everywhere, and that is I am unable to flash anyone. Not sure if I like this. I have to dip before I can flash. However, flashing with pre-heated HIDs is fucking awesome! They go off real baaaad, and fire a really harrrrd and short "BLINK" off everything, lightning strike stylez. You can actually see everyone look around like "WTF was that?" Funny thing is, they all look in different directions.. :laugh:

HIDs are worth it just for the entertainment value, and then theres the safety value, and then theres the "look shithot" value. :whistle:

Steve

Tank
10th September 2008, 09:21
and I am behind no one for more than 15 seconds anyway - different story on your cruiser for sure. :laugh:

I know you are a bit slow - But if you look at the top of the post you will see I dont ride a cruiser - and Im sure that the 1000cc's can get past anything I want quicker than your ho'bag. :buggerd:

(note - I still ride like a nana tho')

Still I like your comments about flashing - dont like people coming at you with their lights on full beam? Typical of you - "yeah baby - Im a Dangerous Bastard" I can blind any fucker I like cozzzz I'm baaad. (well bad for Edgecombe anyway)

Then as soon as someone comes towards you it becomes "waaaaa, waaa flash, flash, you vould have killed me, my wife, my kids, what a tosser ..... waaa, waaaaaa"

Gremlin
11th September 2008, 02:10
For dipped beam ? Yes, this is the legal/WOF issue, and partly the reason why I didn't mod my dip beam. The other reason was I never use the dip beam. :laugh:
No, for high beam. One of the differences of high beam is that it is set higher (ie, throws the light further down the road) than dip. Long and short of this is that you have an increased chance in blinding oncoming vehicles by using high beam the whole time (and why you are supposed to dip your beam).

A blinded oncoming vehicle doesn't put you in a very safe position. :mellow:

Mom
2nd October 2008, 16:14
I put mine on highbeam and never put it on low unless I'm following a cop or something. Yep, fullbeam HID everywhere - stands out like dogs balls a kilometer away. edit: I'll dip it if someone flashes me, but that happens prolly once a month.

Steve

You may want to revise your dip policy to include following other motorcyclists too FWIW. Your headlight is too bright to look at even in rear view mirrors :yes:

Motu
2nd October 2008, 18:12
You are obviously going too slow for our don't give a fuck hero - just get out of the way for a real bike.

CookMySock
2nd October 2008, 21:17
You may want to revise your dip policy to include following other motorcyclists too FWIW. Your headlight is too bright to look at even in rear view mirrors :yes:I ALWAYS dip it on request. Because they are projectors even on dip they almost as glarey. When we ride as a group (often) we all ride on fullbeam and never notice they are too harsh. I guess its what we are used to.

I know its evil. No one pulls out in front of me, coz it looks like it will slice them in half, and I like it that way.

Steve