PDA

View Full Version : Ambulance service apologises for refusing ambulance to hurt biker

Bob
22nd August 2008, 00:39
The Scottish Ambulance Service has been ordered to issue an apology, after one of their shift managers refused to send an ambulance to assist an injured biker at a motorcross event.

Despite pleas that the 15 year old victim – who later needed plastic surgery – needed an an ambulance, the manager refused to send one, because the event “as a private one with paid-for medical cover, so ‘NHS resources’ could not be used.” At one point the manager complained about private companies undercutting the ambulance service!

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman has now ordered the ambulance service to apologise to the teenager and his family for "jeopardising his safety" and for the way in which the subsequent complaint was handled.

A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: "We have accepted the ombudsman's ruling and have apologised to the man and his family."

What follows are extracts from the evidence that have been made available - they are pretty unbelievable- especially when you consider the shift manager works in an industry that is there to CARE for people:

The caller explains the rider's medical situation and after questioning explains that a private ambulance service is at the event.

Shift manager: "Are you working for a private ambulance service?"

Caller: "We are."

Shift manager: "Okay, well I can't send you an ambulance I'm afraid."

Caller one: "We don't have an ambulance on site and we cannot transport as we cannot leave the event."

Shift manager: "Well I'm sorry, I'm not sending an NHS resource, I'm sorry. When you guys put in the business case that should all be addressed, and I can't send an ambulance and deprive the local community of an NHS resource to transfer a patient."

Caller: "I'm sorry, this patient is seriously ill here. He has suspected head and neck injuries and we do not have a vehicle to transport."

The shift manager explains to a member of the committee running the club (caller two) that if they have paid for medical cover they must provide an ambulance.

Caller two: "We have a guy who is bleeding from the mouth, he's agitated, we've got oxygen on him, we need an ambulance."

Shift manager: "No."

Caller two: "You want us to leave this person lying in a field till we get an ambulance? Is that what you're saying?"

Shift manager: "Excuse me, do you want me to leave a person with chest pain who is paying the NHS to get ambulance provision?

The shift manager then asks to speak to whoever is in charge of the incident, at which point caller three, identified as the clerk of the course, takes the phone.

Caller three: "Every meeting we have run for about the last ten years, when we've asked for an ambulance to come on site, they have come on site. This is the first time I've heard of anything like this. I don't understand this at all."

Shift manager then asks to speak to the manager of the private ambulance service.

Shift manager: "I'm sorry, but I'm not sending an ambulance until I clarify exactly what is going on here."

Caller four then brings over his head, identified as caller five, and following more to-ing and fro-ing, he says they will use a car they have.

Caller five: "I'm not going to argue, I'm going to put the phone down."

TOTO
23rd August 2008, 20:09
yea , pretty shocking service

blairh
23rd August 2008, 20:40
holy crap that's insane... glad we don't have that crap going on here!!

yod
23rd August 2008, 20:46
what an officious little prick!

BiK3RChiK
23rd August 2008, 20:57
IMO, he should be making more than an apology! People like that need a different job.

tommorth
28th August 2008, 21:05
wow again isnt this a great country somtimes i'm so glad I live in nz