PDA

View Full Version : 1999 BMW K1200LT. A White trash thrash.

White trash
19th January 2005, 12:54
I hear you already. After reading the title, you're going "WTF?!"

Here's a reason for ya. We've got one, and I wanna sell it. And I've always wanted to hoon through town on a "dresser", with Kid Rock blaring from all four speakers, while all the honeys look on going "He's the man!" as I glide past.

This particular bike, if you're not familiar with Beemers, is the mac daddy of German tourers. Standard features include (take a breath),ABS brakes, fully integrated luggage system, 6 disc CD changer and radio with 4 speaker sound system, cruise control, heated grips, heated seat (front and rear), reverse gear, trip computer (av speed, mpg, temp etc etc), 2 accessory power points, adjustable (electically of course) screen and a hell of alot more that I'm discovering the more I look at it.

Did I forget to mention that it looks like the Starship Enterprise on steroids?

Gassed up and ready to roll, CD qued to my alltime favourite lyric, "Kid Rock, I aint no bitch!" "Ahh-yes-you are, Ho!", stab of the starter and......nothing. It seems 2 weeks of sitting in the showroom with the radio on, aint too good for the battery. Jump start battery connected, hit the button again, and away she whirs into life. Cool, I'm off.

The first thing that strikes you about this bike is the sheer size. It's wider than your mama and your mama in-law, side by side. No shit. The bennefit, is the mirrors. Spectacular! They're huge and well positioned so rear vision is at a premium. After the Gixxer, that's a luxury.

The saet and riding position is obviously extremely comfortable and cruisy. You could sit on this thing for days and I'm sure that's the intention. Sitting nice and high gives a fantastic view of the traffic and road ahead. No vibes at any revs adds to the serenity.

Obviously, this puppy's no round town commuter, so it's off to the motorway I head. Amazingly, it's no slouch either. It's incredibly comfortable at 110kph and equally so at extremely licence loosing speeds. All the while, Kid Rocks going "Ba widda ba di dang di dang diddy diddy....." at perfect volume. Wow!

The only wierd complaint I have for this bike is this. No matter what position the windscreen is set at, the wind pressure pushes you lightly forwards! Not a biggy but it feels fricken strange all the same.

The bike steered really well and was remarkably neutral in its handling. Ground clearance is excellent and the brakes are more than up to the job. Even though persoanlly I'm not a fan of ABS, it didn't bother me as much on this Autobahn mile muncher as on lighter BMWs I've ridden.

All that said this is clearly not a bike I would own any time soon. However, it is one that I enjoyed imensly in the short ride I had and it's an experiance I hope to enjoy to a fuller extent very soon.

Price is a very reasonable $23999 with only 16000km showing.

Bet ya weren't expecting that! :bleh:

Wellyman
19th January 2005, 12:58
Lucky bugger getting to ride on of those. kidrock's music is so lame IMHO.

White trash
19th January 2005, 13:01
Lucky bugger getting to ride on of those. kidrock's music is so lame IMHO.

Bullshit. On both counts.

Only true white trash can appreciate the 'rocks talent. And anyone can ride it, just leave a cheque for the deposit before you leave. :2thumbsup

jrandom
19th January 2005, 13:02
Yoohoo, Herr Hitcher... no drooling on the keyboard.

And do tell us a bit about the engine, WT. Is it just a big twin, or one of these funny BMW fours, or wot? How many ponies does it put out, and what does this LuxoBarge actually weigh in at?

What's the likely fuel consumption?

And does it have an 'auto-wave-back' button...

Blakamin
19th January 2005, 13:05
Here's a reason for ya. We've got one, and I wanna sell it. And I've always wanted to hoon through town on a "dresser", with Kid Rock blaring from all four speakers, while all the honeys look on going "He's the man!" as I glide past.

shouldn't of used a BMW then :eek: jeez, a 15 year old Ultra-Classic Tour-Glide™ woulda got more looks from the honeys (unless you're after 55 year old accounts ladies)

White trash
19th January 2005, 13:06
Yoohoo, Herr Hitcher... no drooling on the keyboard.

And do tell us a bit about the engine, WT. Is it just a big twin, or one of these funny BMW fours, or wot? How many ponies does it put out, and what does this LuxoBarge actually weigh in at?

What's the likely fuel consumption?

And does it have an 'auto-wave-back' button...

Ha ha. K12s are all the lay down, oil runs to the head on the side stand, style four cylinder.

Poer'd have to be around 100 thingys, not sure how many torques.

Weight is huge. I mean really fucken huge. Hence the reverse gear.

Haven't got a clue on fuel consumption as I tend to ride these a little differently to a typical BMW owner me thinks...... :sly:

vifferman
19th January 2005, 13:30
:spudwhat:

I don't get it.

Unless you're the type who absolutely will not drive/own a car, then you'd be better off with a car.
Crikey, that's not much less than we paid for my wife's Peugeot, and apart from heated seats (unnecessary with aircon), it's got nothing to offer that the car doesn't have.
And I think I'd rather drive that than the Luxobarge Tourer 1200...

merv
19th January 2005, 13:48
I presume its this one?, used to belong to a fellow Ulyssian.

He bought a Suz twin didn't he?, but that's a while ago.

White trash
19th January 2005, 14:01
I presume its this one?, used to belong to a fellow Ulyssian.

He bought a Suz twin didn't he?, but that's a while ago.

Bloody Merv and his photo archive.

Nah mate, not the same bike. And it'd better not sit here as long as that one did either. Or I'll be sacked!

merv
19th January 2005, 14:07
The one feature Trev showed us on his that made me think what would you want that for? was how he could start it using the remote. Not quite like an SUV running over a kid but I like to be close to my bikes if the engine is running.

White trash
19th January 2005, 14:17
The one feature Trev showed us on his that made me think what would you want that for? was how he could start it using the remote. Not quite like an SUV running over a kid but I like to be close to my bikes if the engine is running.

Good for getting the engine (and seat) warm on a cold morning while you're brushing your teeth. Great idea.

jrandom
19th January 2005, 14:19
Good for getting the engine (and seat) warm on a cold morning while you're brushing your teeth. Great idea.

Good man.

See, kids, that's why Trashy gets to keep such a cool job.

He knows which models on the floor are likely to sell to people who brush their teeth...

merv
19th January 2005, 15:49
Do BMW do toothbrushes?

Lynda you'd have a $299 Ducati toothbrush wouldn't you with a carbon fibre hand hold and kevlar bristles?

StoneChucker
19th January 2005, 18:41
Do BMW do toothbrushes?

Lynda you'd have a $299 Ducati toothbrush wouldn't you with a carbon fibre hand hold and kevlar bristles?
You could Laser etch ducati onto each bristle :lol:

Lou Girardin
21st January 2005, 07:35
Did it take long to grow the beard, before you could ride it?

pete376403
21st January 2005, 07:49
What was it traded on? Something even bigger / fatter / wider or did the owner start moving down the scale again?

Deano
21st January 2005, 08:24
I heard it on good authority that you had a hot ass Trashy ?

Hitcher
21st January 2005, 11:19
WT, I saw that thang parked on the footpath outside your place earlier this week. It certainly is, ahem, large...

These things are the Bavarian's answer to the Goldwing or those "all tits and tinsel" Harleys. If you're in the market for a luxobarge, then buy a Goldwing.

I have had similar moments on the ST with "backdraft" behind the screen. It's quite eerie riding along at 160kmh with a discernable tail wind. Maybe an electric screen will help...

I don't get the CD player thing. If you're wearing a fullface helmet and earplugs, how are you supposed to hear it? Or is the screen really that good at eliminating wind noise from around your helmet?

White trash
26th January 2005, 07:27
180kph on a private road and I could still hear the stereo really well with my helmet on.