PDA

View Full Version : Auckland parking in the downtown parking building

MarkH
22nd August 2008, 23:33
So the other day I visited a customer that lives in an apartment on lower queen street. I thought it would be a great idea to park my scooter in the downtown carpark using a free bike parking spot. The problem is that there is only parking for about 10 bikes or so and it was pretty well crammed full.

So what do you do in this case? Just park in a car spot? What can they do if you park in a car spot then just drive around the barrier arm when you leave?

WTF is with only 10 bike spots anyway? If they sacrificed another 4 parking spaces then they could increase the parking for bikes to about 30.

Drum
22nd August 2008, 23:40
So are you asking why they won't sacrifice four revenue gathering car parking spaces to turn into free motorcycle parking?

Ummmmm.

Ixion
22nd August 2008, 23:48
"They" are relaxed if you just find a safe out of the way spot to park. Not hard to do.

musicman
22nd August 2008, 23:49
Do you mean the council-owned Parkright building? If that's the building you're referring to in your post I'm sure there are WAY more than 10 bike spaces.

MarkH
23rd August 2008, 00:02
Do you mean the council-owned Parkright building? If that's the building you're referring to in your post I'm sure there are WAY more than 10 bike spaces.

Really? Are they somewhere other than the obvious area near the exit?

I am talking about the ACC owned 'Downtown' parking building at 31 Customs Street West.

I didn't count how many bikes were there, but there wasn't much room to fit a maxi-scooter in. I just wasn't sure of how I was supposed to handle it - if I just zipped into a space normally meant for cars then left an hour or 2 later without paying would I get any grief for that?

MarkH
23rd August 2008, 00:06
So are you asking why they won't sacrifice four revenue gathering car parking spaces to turn into free motorcycle parking?

Ummmmm.

'They' say this: "Motorcycle parking is available in all Auckland City car parking buildings, there is no charge for motorcycle users to park if they use the dedicated areas." on their website.

Not everything is about money and these are NOT privately owned carparking buildings. The council make many spaces available throughout the CBD for free bike parking. But only 10 or so spaces in the 'Downtown' parking building.

FJRider
23rd August 2008, 00:14

I am talking about the ACC owned 'Downtown' parking building at 31 Customs Street West.

I didn't count how many bikes were there, but there wasn't much room to fit a maxi-scooter in. I just wasn't sure of how I was supposed to handle it - if I just zipped into a space normally meant for cars then left an hour or 2 later without paying would I get any grief for that?

Not from me....

musicman
23rd August 2008, 01:29

Yeah that's the one. There are spaces to park bikes on the far side from the entrance on every level from level 1 up, quite a few bikes there on levels 1 - 3, normally the space on level 1 would be full but the highest I had to go for a space was level 3. Saw a 650 Burgman parked next to my bike in that building once, that thing is MASSIVE.

motorbyclist
23rd August 2008, 01:49
"They" are relaxed if you just find a safe out of the way spot to park. Not hard to do.

lol yeah right - auckland CBD has the most unforgiving wardens in the greater region

heck they'll even ticket you for stuff you didn't (or didn't not) do

then take more than 3 months to even acknowledge receiving your appeal, while in the meantime they send several threats to take it to court if it isn't paid

So what do you do in this case? Just park in a car spot? What can they do if you park in a car spot then just drive around the barrier arm when you leave?

WTF is with only 10 bike spots anyway? If they sacrificed another 4 parking spaces then they could increase the parking for bikes to about 30.

should be free parking within most parking buildings

the irony being that on symonds street ACC/ARTA ha cleared out all the car parking from anzac to wellesly to make way for a bus lane that doesn't actually interfere with the parking, and then not granted that room to the university bike parking which is becoming increasingly over capacity.
of course they're yet to even start the bus lane and the parking went over 3 months ago and then the parking buildings in the area put their pricing up 50% - perhaps they don't want people to see the connection between bus lane construction and parking removal.

/rant

portokiwi
23rd August 2008, 07:26
I have woundering where to park my bike in the city. I keep parking at the Britomart. The guys there are cool and they are even better if you bring them back a latte. AND they keep a close eye on your bike.
I give them the big:niceone:

MarkH
23rd August 2008, 08:26
Yeah that's the one. There are spaces to park bikes on the far side from the entrance on every level from level 1 up, quite a few bikes there on levels 1 - 3, normally the space on level 1 would be full but the highest I had to go for a space was level 3. Saw a 650 Burgman parked next to my bike in that building once, that thing is MASSIVE.

Ahh - some quality info - thanks dude! I suppose someone should update this page: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item_parking#faq_kb_auckland_p arking

Yeah the 650 Burg is big - kinda scooter like in design, but actually a medium sized tourer. For a scooter they are a jumbo. For a tourer they aren't THAT big - a Goldwing, now THAT is MASSIVE! Seriously who needs 1800cc in a bike, I don't even have that in my car!

PrincessBandit
23rd August 2008, 11:12
... WTF is with only 10 bike spots anyway? If they sacrificed another 4 parking spaces then they could increase the parking for bikes to about 30.
Like you need to ask??? Drum answered that!

Yeah, my husband rides the 650 - they are large. On my tippy toes to hold it stationary at the lights. Thanks for the info on parking.

I have woundering where to park my bike in the city. I keep parking at the Britomart. The guys there are cool and they are even better if you bring them back a latte. AND they keep a close eye on your bike.
I give them the big:niceone:
Good to know some of the great "they" can be bribed lol. Again, thank you for the info you have provided. Always bit worried about what will happen when leaving my bike in a carpark (the "cage" on ground level Vic street is always packed) so generally avoid doing it. should be a bit more adventurous i think.

portokiwi
23rd August 2008, 11:28
Thanks Mark. I now have a copy of it.:second: Things like are realy helpfull. good bling your way.

Ixion
23rd August 2008, 13:16
lol yeah right - auckland CBD has the most unforgiving wardens in the greater region

I meant within the parking buildings. If the bike spaces are full, don't take a car space, that annoys them, just park in a blind corner. The buildings have lots of them, where a single bike can fit. Same goes for Sky City carpark.

PrincessBandit
23rd August 2008, 16:53
Quick update on cycle parks in newmarket - went looking for the bike parking spaces on corner of Osbourn and Teed st (off Crowhurst) and they've gone due to the tarting up that's being done to the road. Ended up parking in the "dead space" under the wilson's carpark down from the pools. Good choice actually cos it was undercover and out of the drizzle.

Gremlin
24th August 2008, 23:57
Quick update on cycle parks in newmarket
There's a parking garage on behind newmarket, on khyber pass side, not sure what streets, but there are small asian shops underneath, with a private through. Anyway, lots of dead space on the first level at the top of the ramp. Cars can't use it... we can :2thumbsup

toyboy
28th August 2008, 13:49
Used to be some carpark manager in the downtown called Judd Cotter, real dick of a guy, banned me from the carpark one cause someone said i was speeding up the ramps in my car, came up and asked who i was when i parked up (reserved carpark i had back then) i looked at him like who the fuck are you? (he didnt have badge or anything) and he said i was speedin up the ramps, my car was so low back then the only way i could get up the ramps was by going at one Kph and saidways as well (low cars are not fun going up steep ramps!) so I asked him to check the front of my car and explain to me how in the hell i could speed up a ramp with a car that low and still have a front bumper???
Dumbass said to my company i couldnt come in for a month (it was fine by me, i just swapped to my other car so he didnt see the low one for a month)

Real i'm the god in my carpark fortress attitude on him

thehollowmen
28th August 2008, 14:52
And then you get charged a full days parking because your bike didn't set off the ticket machine...

I just got done in wellington, $6 for about an hours parking at the readings cinema building in town - all because I didn't get a ticket at the gate

Ixion
28th August 2008, 16:26
Uh, why are you paying anything. Just ride round the barrier, that's how it works in Auckland. They don't want you to take a ticket, 'cos then it leaves them with an outstanding ticket that evening.

toyboy
29th August 2008, 14:24
Wish parking buildings would put up a sign at the entry point stating that motorbikes can park for free and should drive around barriers or a big sign saying 'Motorbikes must pay' or something like that if they want to charge.
Its worrying not knowing if the bike can be there for free or not especially in private carparks not owned by the council.
At least then we'd be legally covered if you bike gets towed or clamped or anything like that

Ixion
29th August 2008, 14:47
Well, y' don't REALLY want to rub the cagers faces in the fact that we park free. Or some cunt will start moaning about it.

Parking buildings /sites I've used are

Waitemata Helath (ie North Shore, waitakere Hospitals)
Auckland Health (all Auckland hospitals)
Sky city
All Auckland City Council parking buildings

All those are free, ride round the barrier.

I've parked in various others, always ride round, but I can't say if they would have been cool with it or not.

Footpath's free , too.

motorbyclist
30th August 2008, 20:51
footpath isn't always free:

round auckland uni they just love dishing out $40 tickets for being parked where no-one would concievably walk, $200 for not having a wof that you have clearly displayed and god knows how much for a rego they can't be arsed looking for either

Forest
31st August 2008, 00:30
There's a parking garage on behind newmarket, on khyber pass side, not sure what streets, but there are small asian shops underneath, with a private through. Anyway, lots of dead space on the first level at the top of the ramp. Cars can't use it... we can :2thumbsup

Be careful. I'm pretty sure that's a private carpark building (not council owned).

Edit - It is the Rialto Carpark Building in Teed St.

musicman
31st August 2008, 14:08
Be careful. I'm pretty sure that's a private carpark building (not council owned).

Edit - It is the Rialto Carpark Building in Teed St.

Ah yes, the Rialto, even if it's privately owned, you can still get up to 2 hours (I think, or was it 1 hour?) free if you buy something in the Asian shops. I normally park there (in the car) and buy a drink from the Tofu Shop, get them to stamp the parking ticket, then show the ticket (or purchase receipt) to the parking building guy and you go free. Easy!