PDA

View Full Version : Edwards On Fire

Mitch
4th September 2003, 15:17
What's the worst thing that can happen to you on a motorcycle? How about the fuel cap coming off and pouring petrol all over you and a hot engine? While you are on the fastest part of a GP track.
That's what happened to Colin Edwards in first free practice today at the Sachsenring.
As he braked from over 160mph (it's a slow track), fuel surged out of the filler and ignited. Colin did the only thing possible and jumped off. The Aprilia Cube barrel-rolled into the gravel trap in a ball of flame, trailing burning fuel. Colin got to his feet and wandered around in circles for a few moments, leathers visibly singed. He has minor but painful burns to his left wrist and inner thigh.

COLIN EDWARDS:
"I can only say that I must learn the track in the best way and I am improving lap by lap. But today I discovered that the barbecue is a terrible thing if you are in the wrong side! At the beginning of the session when I was riding with the new chassis on I saw some drops in the visor: I immediately thought at the rain and then the water cooling of a bike in front of me. But I felt something cold on my neck and after a few seconds a big heat. That was FIRE! I was completely wrapped by the flames and I decided to jump off quickly. I felt really scared but I hope this was the only one of my life!"

Mitch
4th September 2003, 15:18
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

Mitch
4th September 2003, 15:19
Must learn how to put more then one pic on at a time :D

Mitch
4th September 2003, 15:25
:o

Mitch
4th September 2003, 15:26
:gob:

Mitch
4th September 2003, 15:27
:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

wari
4th September 2003, 16:19
A likely story from Colin ... bet it was flatulence !

curious george
4th September 2003, 16:21
Does this answer the jeans vs leathers debate?:rockon:

Coldkiwi
4th September 2003, 17:37
excellent point george! KK ARE YOU READING THIS!? (especially with your bodginess, if it can happen to a GP bike, it can happen to yours)

Man.. thats gotta be a freaky thing to have to jump from your bike at that speed!! I was wondering how that fire had started. I wonder if that fire is at all related to that RSV that caught fire a few SBK rounds ago in one of the Italy rounds? A possible design flaw with Aprilia fuel caps?

Kwaka-Kid
4th September 2003, 18:16
ahh yeah alright alright.. but its so restrictive...

still i bet jumping off would abeen fucking fun! wishitwasme in a way.

i mean.. that sorta speed.. going for a free slide? fuck the bike they buy u a knew one, i bet it was a fucking good rush! beats drugs eh boys?

Coldkiwi
4th September 2003, 18:38
KK, you know what I said about your appalling post regarding your complete disregard for leathers&nbsp; on the 'concern over protective gear' thread?... I take that back and reassign it to the dribble you just spouted. you really are beyond help.

&nbsp;

Kwaka-Kid
4th September 2003, 19:19
*shucks*:o

cmon now CK, b nice! :p

meehe! im not talking about coming off in jeans, im saying in his leathers etc, it would beat the rainbows end rollercoaster now wouldnt it kids? for&nbsp;a few burns? peh, that beats the $25 odd it prolly costs to get into rainbowsend :p

its all good CK, on my VFR i ride really well and dont want to come off etc and actually have ridin twice in the new leathers (new to me that is) and its alright, otherwise ive been in the dry rider gear because of all the blimmen rain! sheesh i just want a clear day to ride this new baby in :) got new brake fluid for it today, and spark plugs for fun, oh and chain lube, and will adjust chain when i get a chance, not that its slapping yet or anything.:cool: im onto maintanence with this baby :)

Mitch
4th September 2003, 20:28
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
excellent point george! KK ARE YOU READING THIS!? (especially with I was wondering how that fire had started. I wonder if that fire is at all related to that RSV that caught fire a few SBK rounds ago in one of the Italy rounds? A possible design flaw with Aprilia fuel caps?

Apparently one of the pit crew didn't do the fuel cap up properly after filling it&nbsp; :Oops:&nbsp; Wouldn't you hate to have been him when Edwards got back to the pits hehe

KK you appear to have run out of excuses....................... Will we be seeing you at Pukekohe on Oct 5th for round one of the AMCC series???&nbsp; :eek:&nbsp; HA

Kwaka-Kid
4th September 2003, 20:37
Sept 14th was my first date to run the bike, well was my dads, i realistically thought we wud miss it, i havnt paid and still need to find a way to get away with paying $130 on the day otherwise sod it the next open day im out.&nbsp; and hmm, dunno, i still dont know what to do to get licence etc etc etc? :S and just wanna run the bike all on my lonesome a few times to get used to it having not ever riddin it b4, despite curiousgeorge wanting to come out at the same time (i bit just to take pictures and point and laugh when i fall!) so yeh, you tell me what i must do to become licenced?

Mitch
4th September 2003, 20:53
First you need to go and see Linda at the Auckland Motorcycle Club rooms on a Thursday night and join the club $45 I think.&nbsp; Then you get an application form from there, fill it out, send it to MNZ in Huntly with $80 and HEY PRESTO they send you a motorcycle licence.

It would appear I was incorrect&nbsp; :D&nbsp; You haven't anywhere near run out of excuses.&nbsp; :buggerd: LMAO

&nbsp;

merv
4th September 2003, 21:07
As for Colin it is such a shame he has been wasted this year without a Honda under him. I am sure if had taken the RC211V on Bridgestones deal he would be doing a whole better than he has been on the hot and spicy pizza machine.

Big Dog
4th September 2003, 21:15
Now thats what I call going in hot!:gob:

Bet he loves his leather supplier more than his pit crew about now.

Mitch
4th September 2003, 21:24
Hey Merv, You notice knukles deleted that thread hehe&nbsp; :eek:&nbsp;&nbsp; Was it something we said, Do you think?&nbsp; :rolleyes:

merv
4th September 2003, 21:36
Hey Mitch I'm getting bloody old and my memory is fading, you'll have to remind me which thread that was. This forum is getting busy these days which is good so its hard to remember all things. I do remember the days not so long ago when there had been nothing like up to 44 users on at once like it says now.

Mitch
4th September 2003, 21:38
His dummy spitting over Haldane's :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:&nbsp;&nbsp; The world sux and everyone at Haldane's is against me Hehehehe ROFL&nbsp; :eek:

merv
4th September 2003, 21:50
Thanks and he never did tell us what they were supposed to be saying about him and his bike, not when I checked the forum at lunch time at least.

Coldkiwi
8th September 2003, 13:26
so&nbsp;THATS what happened to the thread! I wanted to see if he'd got angrier or had calmed a bit :)

Met some guys in the weekend who knew him as well... the ahh, perceptions were umm.... 'mixed?'

&nbsp;

NhuanH
8th September 2003, 15:21
just spied an Edwards Replica Mille R rumbling down Newton Rd from Khyber Pass&nbsp;.&nbsp; Looked nice, sounded nice and was not combusting externally when I saw it&nbsp;- Bonus :p

Wonder if it was&nbsp;the real full time pilot of the bike or someone having fun from AMPS?

Si, you're not thinking of trading Gina in are you?&nbsp; You could benevolently hand her down to me for say...$100 instead?&nbsp; Go on, radial brakes are so&nbsp;de rigeur these days.....

&nbsp;

Mitch
8th September 2003, 15:30
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
so&nbsp;THATS what happened to the thread! I wanted to see if he'd got angrier or had calmed a bit :)

Met some guys in the weekend who knew him as well... the ahh, perceptions were umm.... 'mixed?'

&nbsp;

With you there CK, I wanted to see what his reaction was to, I guess the deletion was all he had to say, Dummy spitted......... questioned and acusations revoked.&nbsp; Oh well&nbsp; :rolleyes:

Coldkiwi
8th September 2003, 17:22
oooo they have an Edwards Replica here??? must go in to AMPS and dribble on it (and see if I can't ignore those godawful half cut Alice Decals on the side)

Si.. I'll see his $100 and give ya $120!! &nbsp;:D

bluninja
8th September 2003, 22:39
Hmmmmmm....the Edwards rep with de riguer brakes and a guaranteed $120 for Gina. Sounds tempting.....but not tempting enough:D May go and drool...but will wait for them to clean up after CK first.

TTFN

Dave
9th September 2003, 11:16
I won't get too carried away over the bike, but the Alice Aprilia girls are always some of the best in the pits!

marty
9th September 2003, 11:53
sob :( another aprilia RIP......

marty
9th September 2003, 11:55
still though - some f-ing GREAT pix to show your kids!!!!!!

{show and tell at school} " and this is my daddy at work in the weekend. He's usually really cool"

Coldkiwi
9th September 2003, 13:18
yeah, at least he walked away. if he'd been seriously injured you wouldn't want to see those pics again but since he was fairly unhurt they are WICKED!