PDA

View Full Version : Honda VTR250 - manufacturing history

davebullet
24th August 2008, 08:55
I am interested in buying a vtr250, but I am concerned about the quality of modern 250 bikes.

According to people I've spoken to 250's used to cost a lot more. Was this because of import tarrifs / duty? Because 250's weren't as popular? (lower supply = higher price?). Many of the chinese made GN250's I've seen have chrome of dubious quality and surface rust on the frames. Is this due to poor cleaning / maintenance on behalf of the owner, or a lower quality bike?

Anyway - my main questions are:
1. Has VTR250 production stopped? - looks like 2007 was the last year
2. Where is / was the VTR250 manufactured?
3. Is a 2007 VTR250 the same quality bike as a 2000 or earlier VTR250?

Thanks,
Dave.

Taz
24th August 2008, 09:01
Come on dude, you're computer savvy enough to post on here surely you've heard of google also??;)

davebullet
24th August 2008, 09:10
Yes I'm computer savvy and not lazy. I've googled on various keywords. Manufacturer sites pull the old models and they usually don't post their country of manufacture.

The other questions were about opinions which I have not been able to find here or on other sites. There doesn't seem to be an asia/pacific forum dedicated to Honda that I've found that might have the answers. Still looking....

Dave.

shingo
24th August 2008, 14:44
1) There is a 2008 model vtr250 (and maybe 09 and on) but blue wing are no longer importing them into the country so they newest you will be able to get over here is a 07 model.

2) As far as i know the vtr250's are manufactured in Japan.

3) In terms of quality and realibility the earlier vtr's are as good as the later ones, the only difference i know of is the colours schemes change a little bit and that post 03 bikes were fitted with a tacho and temp gauge.

In the end you cant really go wrong with them, they are a Honda after all ;)

CB ARGH
24th August 2008, 19:19
In the end you cant really go wrong with them, they are a Honda after all ;)

Go the HONDAS!! :first:

The 250's hold their price because (in my opinion) the motorcycle stores keep their prices sky high. Also the 250 is the highest displacement that you can purchase on a learner's licence, so they are in high demand, especially at this time due to the current fuel price crisis.

I can't picture myself owning another bike that is not a Honda. Been with them my whole life. They're great bikes, and within reason: indestructable.

LardEmbargo
24th August 2008, 20:28
so I heard that Honda haven't stopped making them. But they aren't being imported here by HondaNZ anymore.

They seem like a popular bike (I like mine!) and when I was looking I kept seeing examples of them being imported from Japan and then registered here, so I guess if people still want them you'll still be able to get one, it just won't be NZ new.

Don't know much about the detailed manufacturing history. You can tell the older model VTRs by the instrument panel - post 2002(?) they got a shiny double-binnacle one with a tachometer, before that there was just a speedo. At least some components seem to have changed along the way too, so I'm guessing bits aren't completely interchangeable. Regulator/rectifier off mine, frinstance, looked entirely different to the one onna mate's 2004 VTR - the newer one actually had heatsinks on and looked considerably more chunky than mine.

dunno if that helps any

JimO
24th August 2008, 20:39
here is my boys one paid $3500 on tardme exactly the same in a local honda shop $5995

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/DSCF2485.jpg

davebullet
24th August 2008, 20:39
Hi all,

I appreciate all your replies. I ask since I am yet another new rider and deciding on a 250. My female partner is learning to ride (like me). We originally were going to go for a GN250. After all, if the Bike bug doesn't bite, a GN isn't a big waste of money. What concerned me was a lack of power (having to push it to make 100Kms) and build quality. Many seem to rust.

A friend recommended a VTR250. Another friend is seriously looking at the new '08 ninja 250.

I rode a 2000 VTR250 yesterday, after a Yamaha Zeal (cannot remember the model number, but it was an in-line 4 250). I spent about 5 mins on the Zeal, and about 20 mins on the VTR250. What I liked about the VTR was its tolerance to my bad riding. Good usable torque over the rev range means an idiot like me who is learning what gear to be in, can still power out if need be.

There is an '07 VTR just around the corner for sale at $6k with 7,000kms. Sounds good to me to get a later, lower mileage model. I just have to convince my partner that a VTR250 is a bike she'd like. I also like that it is quite light (139k dry) - so not much difference to a GN250 weight wise.

Thanks for your help guys.
David.

davebullet
24th August 2008, 20:47
so I heard that Honda haven't stopped making them. But they aren't being imported here by HondaNZ anymore.

Thanks for that. It seems crazy to me BlueWing are not importing to NZ. After all with petrol prices and 250 bike demand, you'd think a market would be there.

If still made in Japan, maybe landed they cannot compete price wise (nor quality wise :oi-grr: ) with the stuff made elsewhere....

I'd still pay $1-2K more for a bike that wasn't going to rust out.

I mean the 2000 with 22,000kms I rode yesterday looked very good, apart from a couple of scratches on the tank.

David.

shingo
24th August 2008, 20:59
Thanks for that. It seems crazy to me BlueWing are not importing to NZ. After all with petrol prices and 250 bike demand, you'd think a market would be there.

The price that the 2008 vtr's would be set at is $8000, maining they would probably struggle to compete with other new bikes like the Hyosung and the new Ninja.

Patar
24th August 2008, 23:10
Do it, buy a vtr.
They're bullet proof and will take all the punishment that any leaner rider can dish out, plus they've got enough go to keep you happy out on the open road (at least until you can move onto a bigger bike)

McJim
24th August 2008, 23:21
VTR250 is manufactured in Japan - hence it costs a LOT more than GN250 (China) and Scorpio 225 (Thailand I think).

GN250s used to be made in Japan and if you find an old one made there it is probably still running well.

VTR250 is an excellent learner choice. If you have the money then the newer the better but they will last very well if looked after.

The more expensive older 250s you refer to are probably the "Race replica IL4" bikes like the CBR250rrrrrr(odd how the Japanese chose to put so many of a letter they can't adequately pronounce into a vehicle's name), ZXR250, FZR250, GSXR250...all good bikes in their day however 80% of the examples found today have since had the nuts revved off them by boi ricer types moving to 2 wheels and fixated on horsepower for their first bike.

VTR250 beats the Ninja 250 for me coz if you are a learner you are very likely to drop the bike slowly at some point. This won't afect the VTR but will cost you thousands on a fully faired Ninja.

LardEmbargo
25th August 2008, 21:15
I was happy I found the extra cash to get the VTR. I'm not knocking GNs as learner bikes, I think they're great for what they are, and GN250 money would've suited me better, but my justifications were

I liked the forgiving v-twin engine thing, it didn't sulk when I ended up in the wrong gear
I thought it was probably built better and would hold its value better while I had it
I'm a noob, so finding a reasonable-condition *old* GN from when they made them better was going to be a lottery
I thought spending a bit more on a bike that was a bit more capable would give me something to grow into as I (sort of) improved. Whenever that happens. I'd talked to a couple of people who'd started off on a GN and then felt they'd grown out of it and really *really* wanted to upgrade after 6 months or so.

plus some other things you'll have to decide yourself by trying them out, like

I felt much more comfortable on the VTR. The seat on the GN was kind of square, I've only got short legs, wasn't comfy stretching to the ground (bike felt lower, but the ground felt further away if that makes any sense). I liked the riding position on the VTR much better too, the GN felt very upright.

I never really looked at anything with a fairing on - I liked the naked look anyway was why, but it's probably true that faired learner bikes are a bit of a liability with learners actually on them. I guess shiny plastic bits might scuff up pretty easily if, you know, your bike happens to get a bit tired and wants to have a lie down.

Anyway, for a shared bike I guess you'll both have to have a sit on one and see what you think. Hope you can work it out anyway, you're on the verge of owning your very own 2-wheeled motorised conveyance of almost certain doom, it's all very exciting :/

meatface
26th August 2008, 23:35
Does anyone know anything about the VTR250F? Is this even real?

http://issuu.com/motorcyclenews/docs/mcnsampler060808

Check out page 6-7

davebullet
27th August 2008, 11:43
Well, I've bought that VTR I mentioned. It was pissing down, strong southerly when I rode her home last night.. but I didn't care. Was great. Looking forward to using / riding it. My partner said I made a good choice... now the fight is on for whether her or I will be riding it the most.

David.

LardEmbargo
27th August 2008, 17:24
that's great news, well done :) hope you manage to come up with a good bike-share scheme, maybe see you out on the road.

davebullet
27th August 2008, 17:34
that's great news, well done :) hope you manage to come up with a good bike-share scheme, maybe see you out on the road.

She works 3 days a week, I will probably take it the other 2?

Maybe we will. I'm a wgtn biker. You'll know me on the road.... I'll be the one with the big L sticker, the wobbles, brand new gear and a bit clueless :msn-wink:

shingo
27th August 2008, 17:58
Does anyone know anything about the VTR250F? Is this even real?

http://issuu.com/motorcyclenews/docs/mcnsampler060808

Check out page 6-7

Change the exhaust back to the same style the current vtr's a have they'd have a nice looking bike, would definitely be my preference over the current new 250's available.

Will be interesting to see if it makes it over here and how much they would cost. If they could match the price of the new ninja then they should sell quite well.

davebullet
27th August 2008, 21:53
The new F is also fuel injected according to that article. Max HP is the same at 32PS. Maybe more torque or better spread?

The headlight setup has changed too... wonder if the F has dual lamps?

I prefer the old model looking exhaust too.

Regarding price - well the 2007's RRP was $8k. Since the Ninja is $7k - I can't see the new VTR matchingn that price, and maybe I'm a snob, but a japanese assembled bike should cost you more than a bike made in thailand. I don't know where past ninjas were made. All I know is that an old VTR can stil scrub up like new = quality for that range in the market.

David.

NordieBoy
27th August 2008, 22:13
What's the redline on the modern VT's?

davebullet
28th August 2008, 21:35
What's the redline on the modern VT's?

for the 2007 - 11,500. Max power = 32PS @ 10,500rpm and max torque 2.4kgm @ 8,500rpm

megaphat
28th August 2008, 21:41
I'm not surprised honda is having trouble moving the VTR. Its an ancient design, so there are 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand models everywhere
Its more expensive than the fully faired and much hotter looking ninja 250r.

Here in australia, its about 1.5g more expensive. For what... honda's build quality and excessive amounts of extreme blandness?

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the fully faired CBR125R is very successful. Most learners I've met are obsessed with appearance, so if a learner bike looks butt ugly like the VTR, it ain't gonna sell.

Perhaps honda should do what suzuki did with their LAMS approved GS500F. Bring out a faired model.

NordieBoy
28th August 2008, 21:56
for the 2007 - 11,500. Max power = 32PS @ 10,500rpm and max torque 2.4kgm @ 8,500rpm

They've pulled the revs back a bit then.
My old VT250F Integra redlined at 13500.

The newer ones would probably have a bit more power and torque though.

davebullet
29th August 2008, 07:38
I'm not surprised honda is having trouble moving the VTR. Its an ancient design, so there are 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand models everywhere
Its more expensive than the fully faired and much hotter looking ninja 250r.

Here in australia, its about 1.5g more expensive. For what... honda's build quality and excessive amounts of extreme blandness?

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the fully faired CBR125R is very successful. Most learners I've met are obsessed with appearance, so if a learner bike looks butt ugly like the VTR, it ain't gonna sell.

Perhaps honda should do what suzuki did with their LAMS approved GS500F. Bring out a faired model.

I suppose Honda does have a gap in the market... I'm not a Honda fan (although my garage is completely Honda - by coincidence). The Ninja does look great too. I tossed up between the two. It came down to chosing a $6k 2007 VTR250 or $7k Ninja. I intend to keep the 250 for a while. The build quality as you noted of the Honda is proven. Experienced riders recommended to me the VTR for learning. The ride feels great as a learner (very forgiving) so given that it meets my purpose well.

Personal preferences will always mean some people prefer sports or cruisers, faired or naked etc...

meatface
4th September 2008, 10:57
I spoke to a honda dealer the other day and he said that NZ would definitely be getting the new VTR250F.

Also upon closer inspection of that photo i reckon their might be a change in the dash? One looks round and one looks square, almost like the pre 2004 ones. Maybe a digital display of some kind?

xwhatsit
4th September 2008, 12:38
I spoke to a honda dealer the other day and he said that NZ would definitely be getting the new VTR250F.

Also upon closer inspection of that photo i reckon their might be a change in the dash? One looks round and one looks square, almost like the pre 2004 ones. Maybe a digital display of some kind?
That article was from MCN, so that `spy photo' is in reality an appalling photoshop of several different bikes spread out over 10 years. Don't put too much stock in what it'll look like.

merv
4th September 2008, 12:39
Well you bought the VTR. Good on ya mate, so you're away now. Enjoy the ride.

p.s. if its true I like the sound of the watercooled XR250 shown in that MCN link.

davebullet
5th September 2008, 08:12
Still waiting on gear before I ride it. It's been in the garage 10 days without being ridden! Well - I promised myself - no gear = no ride. Just helmet and gloves left to purchase (I have an old helmet, but not one I'd trust my head in), then I'll ease myself in with some low speed, daylight and nice weather runs.... can't wait!

Grant81
7th November 2008, 16:48
Hi, anyone fimular with the difference between the 2 bikes ? Spade has a rev counter & motors look the same, Im thinking of buying a 89 spade. Thanks

LardEmbargo
7th November 2008, 18:24
well, afaik the Spada's a 250cc vtwin same as the newer VTR, just older. They seem to be imported from Japan having been made for only a couple of years in like 1988 or 1989. I've seen VTRs listed as early as 1997, not sure what happened inbetween.

The Spada's got a sort of alu frame that says like CASTEC or something on, which I guess means it might be a bit lighter than otherwise and makes it look a bit distinctive if that's your thing. They're supposed to be more powerful than the VTR turned out to be as well. Although it's still a 250, after all.

Riding position's probably a bit different, got some clip on bar thingys too.

The only thing you might wanna watch out for, is the absolute newest one you could find is going to be like 20 years old. That's a lot of opportunities for being pre-farked, worn out or just generally having its tits thrashed off by clueless noobs (cough). Parts might be hard to come by.

Give one a go, see what you think anyway. It's not exactly a sprots bike but you could still prak your Spade in teh gargre.

NordieBoy
7th November 2008, 20:05
prak your Spade in teh gargre.

Finally! I was beginning to wonder what you were talking about in the first couple of paragraphs.

Dolph
19th November 2008, 22:19
Hhhhmmm,...a bloke has a VTR for sale just round the corner...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=187531502

What do you think would be a fair price ?? :scratch:

Anything else I've seen is miles away (I live in Kerikeri). This could be a good option for me I thinks ?!?!

Seems like no-one gives the VTR a 'bad' review,...some don't like its appearance (eye of the beholder and all that jazz :cool:),...but everyone says it's well built and does exactly what it says on the box !

What do you lot reckon ??:)

McJim
20th November 2008, 00:09
Hhhhmmm,...a bloke has a VTR for sale just round the corner...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=187531502

What do you think would be a fair price ?? :scratch:

Anything else I've seen is miles away (I live in Kerikeri). This could be a good option for me I thinks ?!?!

Seems like no-one gives the VTR a 'bad' review,...some don't like its appearance (eye of the beholder and all that jazz :cool:),...but everyone says it's well built and does exactly what it says on the box !

What do you lot reckon ??:)

Looks alright - looks like it's been resprayed though......see if you can get someone who knows to cast an eye over it on the flesh (not just web photos)

Dolph
20th November 2008, 20:30
Cheers Jim. You're right about the respray. I popped in to see him on the way home (before reading KB) and he explained that it had been resprayed. This was due to a ding on the petrol tank,...apparently dropped against something in the garage ? The bloke seemed pretty genuine.

I'll take it for a test drive next week,...but unfortunately I'm not really sure what I'm looking for mechanically.

There is some very superficial rust on the chrome, the engine looks immaculate, seat's great, tyres look fairly new (Bridgestone's I think), all the hoses and rubber boots (that I could see) look brand new, the radiator also looked brand new, the bike started first time and it ran lovely.

So,...any ideas what would be a good price ?!?! Appreciate your help :wacko: