PDA

View Full Version : Internet / Computer Gurus - Web hosting question

alanzs
24th August 2008, 15:55
Howdy all,
I am in the process of starting a business and want to have a presence on the web. I have checked that the .com, .co.nz and .net domains are available (as well as a zillion others). A web designer friend is designing the website. It'll be pretty basic, no e-sales, just information, how to contact us, etc.

Can you recommend a good domain name registration/web hosting company? If you could either just post the information here or pm me, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

yod
24th August 2008, 15:56
ramsu.co.nz

NighthawkNZ
24th August 2008, 15:58
Howdy all,
I am in the process of starting a business and want to have a presence on the web. I have checked that the .com, .co.nz and .net domains are available (as well as a zillion others). A web designer friend is designing the website. It'll be pretty basic, no e-sales, just information, how to contact us, etc.

Can you recommend a good domain name registration/web hosting company? If you could either just post the information here or pm me, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

Depends on your needs for the site... Do you require php, MySQL. how storage space, bandwidth requirements and what your budget is.

Headbanger
24th August 2008, 15:58
I have used these guys for years, multiple sites.

http://www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz/

$50 bucks a year option would cover just about any fledging site, Sites seem to always be up, and they respond lighting fast.

alanzs
24th August 2008, 16:14
Depends on your needs for the site... Do you require php, MySQL. how storage space, bandwidth requirements and what your budget is.

DOH! I'm new to this end of the business. I've seen a few different places, with similar prices. My designer said this would be fine (its from planetdomain, though he didn't say they were the best, just used the needs as an example):
1 GB storage space
3 GB Data transfer
15 Email Accounts
3 Add-on Domains
3 SQL databases
3 Email lists
CPanel control panel

scootnz
24th August 2008, 16:16
iserve.co.nz is my one. You can do almost anything yourself online without having to phone or email to ask them to do it. Support is good. I think it starts at $20 every 4 weeks though, to host a site with them.

alanzs
24th August 2008, 16:17

$50 bucks a year option would cover just about any fledging site, Sites seem to always be up, and they respond lighting fast.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

alanzs
24th August 2008, 16:18

Thanks, I appreciate the info! :rockon:

alanzs
24th August 2008, 16:18
iserve.co.nz is my one. You can do almost anything yourself online without having to phone or email to ask them to do it. Support is good. I think it starts at $20 every 4 weeks though, to host a site with them.

I appreciate the information. I'll check them out! :woohoo:

captain_andrey
25th August 2008, 11:02
All the cool kids are going the virtual server way these days. Its a lot cheaper then having a dedicated machine while still giving you full control over the environment. Backup and restores can be done in a flash too.

Sorry no suggestion of actual host company, my work does all my hosting for free :)

mynameis
25th August 2008, 12:19
www.telecombusinesshub.co.nz

NighthawkNZ
25th August 2008, 12:31
All the cool kids are going the virtual server way these days. Its a lot cheaper then having a dedicated machine while still giving you full control over the environment. Backup and restores can be done in a flash too.

Sorry no suggestion of actual host company, my work does all my hosting for free :)

Depends on how busy the server is and how much traffic you are expecting whether that pay off is worth it or not