PDA

View Full Version : Replacing exhaust with something quieter

steved
24th August 2008, 16:08
I have a 1996 CBR600 F3 with a loudish Arrows exhaust. I would like to switch the can for a standard/quieter one. Does anyone know what would easily slip-on? F2 stock can? F4? F4i?

Cheers

AlBundy
24th August 2008, 18:03
Slip-in earplugs work really well...

AllanB
21st September 2008, 19:28
Any half decent muffler shop will be able to make you an insert that goes in the end and shuts it up. Or if you are the handy type you could make your own.

AllanB
22nd September 2008, 15:13
I had a 750 twin Kawasaki that I'd fitted dunstal style mufflers too. These were very loud despite repacking. I made up a couple of inserts by getting a scrap of muffler pipe that fitted within the muffler core.

See the attached picture - I cut a number of slots in the pipe and indented them with a cold chisel (good band) and hammer. The gas flow in is from the left end in the picture. The rounded end on the right is only to aid the insertion (this was inserted in the inlet end of my mufflers).

Basically the indents disturb the gas flow causing it to swirl around on the way out and cuts down the noise without any significant flow reduction (ie its still a straight-through system).

I was surprised how effective a short length of this was - I ended up making two sets as the first one was longer than this sample and was too quiet!

Also note that by running any non standard muffler unless you go to a sympathetic bike shop for a WOF you may be up for the price of noise certification. :(

James Deuce
22nd September 2008, 15:36
Replace it with a deaf mute.

smoky
22nd September 2008, 15:40
I have a 1996 CBR600 F3 with a loudish Arrows exhaust. I would like to switch the can for a standard/quieter one.

Why? Quite bikes are dangerous – may as well paint your bike black and ride with your light off too

:devil2:

F5 Dave
22nd September 2008, 17:52
Sorry? Quite dangerous? Yes bikes are quite dangerous, why the young men who hoon around on them are very lucky to be alive.

Harold up the road was saying to me the other day that full face helmets are dangerous too. Restrict your vision you see. And gloves. Can't feel the controls with them on.

Also never ever touch the front brake. You'll go straight over the handle bars you know. Best to remove it.