PDA

View Full Version : 450's vs 350's MX

secondfield
25th August 2008, 14:01
Been getting a whiff of talk lately where pro mx riders are mentioning that 450's may be a bit too much to ride effectively on current mx tracks.

Even Carmichael was quoted as saying he was riding the bike to its full potential and it still had heaps left under the hood'.

A few blokes are also returning to 250f's and finding them a bit faster and easier to ride on certain tracks.

There possibly could be a 350 class of some sort come out in the next few years (id like to think 380cc would be the go!) to bring things back into perspective maybe?

That new husaberg design (centered engine for balanced flywheel inertia - see previous threads - husaberg are owned by KTM now) coupled with a 380cc engine would be the shit!

What do you guy's reckon?

cheese
25th August 2008, 14:16
I think I'd like a 350, I've not really ridden a 450 though. Must have a go on someones next time I go out. Barty, swap bikes for a bit next time?

takitimu
25th August 2008, 14:22
350 has my vote, though I reckon the 250's could do with becoming 225's or even 200's if they want lites slower than open class.

P.S. The Husky 310 is going to be an interesting bike.

Crasherfromwayback
25th August 2008, 14:39
450's rule! More versatile. I use mine for road racing...motard...moto-x and trail riding. Instant wheelies in any gear. Can't be wrong. I prefer them to the 500 two strokes I used to own/race. But for sure...if only moto-x is where you're at...they're a bit much for most of us.

secondfield
25th August 2008, 15:33
How's about the ergo's on this puppy tied in with a 383 cc engine ..

http://www.husaberg.com/Gallery.192.0.html

barty5
25th August 2008, 15:43
I think I'd like a 350, I've not really ridden a 450 though. Must have a go on someones next time I go out. Barty, swap bikes for a bit next time?

you just gota ask altough i do worry you mite not want to give it back. Love havin the 450 the 426 was also very good altough had quite a bit of snap low down especially after the small amount of porting was done. But the 450 is way better to ride heaps smother etc etc. Never know might convert cheese to a 4T yet lol.

B0000M
25th August 2008, 17:02
if he's anything like me he'll find the 450 boring after riding a CR250.

i still believe going back to 2 smokes and banning 4 smokes is the answer. if nothing else it would cut down noise

barty5
25th August 2008, 17:46
if he's anything like me he'll find the 450 boring after riding a CR250.

i still believe going back to 2 smokes and banning 4 smokes is the answer. if nothing else it would cut down noise

I dont know bout the nosie i was out and about yesterday could hear a couple a bikes (2 smokes) as i left home. went up to albany turns out these two guys were riding behind the albany courts is about 2ks in a straight line from my place. Drove past them they both had resonable cond bikes and mufflers just shows how far nosie travels i guess

mattwood
25th August 2008, 18:02
I dont know bout the nosie i was out and about yesterday could hear a couple a bikes (2 smokes) as i left home. went up to albany turns out these two guys were riding behind the albany courts is about 2ks in a straight line from my place. Drove past them they both had resonable cond bikes and mufflers just shows how far nosie travels i guess

yeah, thats true. But it depends what kinda of day it is.. somedays when its not windy from my house you can hear the trains which are 10km plus away!!

Henk
25th August 2008, 20:38
These days 4s tend to be noisier than 2s but that is usually down to an obscenely loud aftermarket muffler. I admit that I prefer my 400exc to all the 450s I've ridden. I can't use the extrapower and it just wears me out. I beleive Shane King ran his 360sx as a 270 at some tracks the year he won the title as it made it faster on some tracks.

scott411
25th August 2008, 20:45
the minimum limit for the 500 class was 350cc in 96, so i don;t think Shayne would have run something that small,

i think a 350 bike would be the ultimate off road bike, even something like a 320 would be really fun, just a bit more torque than a 250F so you do not have to be so perfect with them,

but as Crasher says above, the 450 is the ultimate allrounder, can do everything,

on my 06 RMZ450 i raced a Bel-ray harescrambles (finsihed 2nd overall), the Taupo international (24th in MX1), Wanganui (a 9th and a 6th in open motard) and Pearoa street races (two top 10's in open motard), and did some trail rides in between, can not get better than that,

Wingnut
26th August 2008, 06:48
I have had both 250s and 450s in the past. Was always faster on a track on a 250 4, but yacant beat the 450s for alround pleasure both on the track and out on the trails. They are ideal. All the same - the ideal of a 350 sounds interesting. I imagine it would be like a 250 but with substantually more torque.

CRF119
26th August 2008, 10:02
NA i think stick with the 450s, its the top level of racing so should demand the most out of the rider. Stewert is doing fine.

If you go to a 350 you will just get the factory backed teams trying to get as much power out of it as possible so going to end up with bikes that need more maintainence and teams with more HP then others. If they are all on 450s then the bikes should have what every rider needs in the way of power so less mods from the factory backed teams.

I think i recall stefaneverts saying the 450 he rode here in taupo lacked in power compared to his factory bike he normaly rode.......

Stay with the 450