PDA

View Full Version : Quick visit

ColnCathy
26th August 2008, 20:08
Hi
Cathy and I and my son and his wife are making a quick visit to NZ via Aukland and have hired bikes for a 6 day tour in North Island
Can anyone offer advice on interesting routes places to visit and places to stay
all replies gratefully received and acknowledged
thanks in anticipation
Colin

Edbear
26th August 2008, 21:40
Where does one start????

I can recommend a loop. Heading North from Kaiwaka, (about an hour Nth of Auckland - you may have to get a map or Google the route), turn left at the bottom of the Brynderwyn's to Maungataroto heading towards Dargaville. Approx. half-way you will see the Matakohe Kauri Museum, well worth a stop. Through Dargaville head up the West coast road to the Waipoua Forest and about half-way through there you can stop at Tane Mahuta, the largest Kauri tree. Out of the forest you'll end up at Opononi on the East coast, where you can take a break or continue down the East coast to Paihia. Stop there for dinner or a snack depending on time at the 35Degree South restaurant on the water. You may decide to carry on North to Cape Reinga.

You'll continue South to Whangarei and then back down SH1 over the Brynderwyn's to Kaiwaka again. Or you may want to take a detour left to the coast and pass through Waipu and Mangawahai before rejoining SH1 at Wellsford again.

This is just one of several great rides in the North. Others here will no doubt aprise you of more. We live in Orewa just 20min Nth of Auck. and have 3km beach here.

MaxB
26th August 2008, 22:47
Hi Colin

If you ride a GS, you might be into distances and have 6 days so why not head for the South Island? As we head into spring (September onward) the weather gets better. Springtime is magical down there and the roads are first class. If you time it right you can do the 660km from Auckland to the ferry on Day 1 and catch an overnight ferry from Wellington to Picton. Catch up on some sleep and you have from Day 2 onwards to enjoy the 'mainland'.