PDA

View Full Version : Alarmed disc locks - Who wants one?

motorbyclist
27th August 2008, 20:00
SEE NEW THREAD HERE (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=81077)

Basically big fuck-off disc locks with 110 decibel alarms fitted. (http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/XNSeries/XN15/page1/#) - scare the shit out of thieves and save money/hassle by lowering your excess and preventing theft in the first place.

I'm going to contact the NZ distributor and get a price for a bulk order - but first i need approximate numbers.

May cost anywhere from $50 - $99 bucks I'll be handing them off at cost as a service to the club members, all welcome to buy; non SMC members may incur a "probably less than $5" surcharge to cover my time. club subscription costs a dollar.

Just post up (or PM) your interest, number wanted, max $$ you'll spend and most importantly your bike model so i can check it'll fit. If they'll cost more than $99 i'll just get them off a trademe seller

I'll call the guy on Monday(?) and see how much it'll cost.

Myself, I'm getting three or four to cover my family.

Considering the theft excess for most of us is well over $500, stopping a theft, and reducing the excess while we're at it is well worth the $100 investment, so don't stinge out on this excellent bit of kit. Trust me, these guys will steal anything they can and it can be a very serious hit for those dependent on our bikes for transport.

Perhaps the club president may like to apply for a grant from AUSA?

quick specs:

14mm pin (assuming that model fits your bike, they come bigger & smaller), waterproof, won't crack due to ice attacks etc etc, use watch batteries easily bought at supermarket.

if you go to ride bike it'll beep so you remember it, if it gets knocked it'll go for 15seconds since the last movement... dunno how likely it setting off while you insert the key is though, but that'll be brief and you'll have the keys to start your bike so no awkward questions you can't answer... myself i'll put a sticker on the tripleclamp to remind me

gunna be interesting with the tight uni parking, but man will a thief shit his pants when 110db starts screaming at him - people will look and he wont have time to attack the disc lock

TaNkSlApT
27th August 2008, 20:05
i got one already. theyre fan fookin tastic!

Slyer
27th August 2008, 20:07
I'll take one.

PirateJafa
27th August 2008, 20:11
In, depending on sensitivity - would be silly if it goes off every time a car passes.

shingo
27th August 2008, 20:13
In, depending on sensitivity - would be silly if it goes off every time a car passes.

+1

Would hate to have it going off when putting it on/taking it off as well.

phantom
27th August 2008, 20:17
Yeah I am in

HungusMaximist
27th August 2008, 20:19
Nice going Andrew, I would be interested in seeing how one of those work.

Just make sure you give the distributor your sob story, uni bike thefts story and oh, don't forget the old poor student speil. What I am try to get, just try to sale yourself and our cause and convice him as much as possible to drop his price closer to his cost level.

Good idea to get Stephen to write a letter AUSA for funding and then get them to write a letter so you can do mass post out to all the lock distributors through out NZ.

Jacko2
27th August 2008, 20:24
SV thou, yes please.

jafar
27th August 2008, 20:32

+1

Would hate to have it going off when putting it on/taking it off as well.

+2 (ten chars):bash:

Slyer
27th August 2008, 20:41
I think it would be much better than car alarms as it would be able to be triggered by changing the orientation. Moving the wheel or touching it would do this, unlike in a car where it has to depend on vibrations and shit.

bomma
27th August 2008, 20:55
that's some massive mass-posting there andrew.....sure the distributor isnt a relative?? :shifty:

aahsv
27th August 2008, 20:58
putme down for 1, thx :first:

2wheeljunkie
27th August 2008, 21:45
that's some massive mass-posting there andrew.....sure the distributor isnt a relative?? :shifty:

mAybe he's getin it cheap from kim's motorcycle store...:laugh:..i wud so get one mate..got a chain though unless they have cutters for those..i hope not..i dont think its that easy to cut those chains..

Winston001
27th August 2008, 21:57
Great idea Motorbyclist, good on you, put me down for one. The stainless steel ones are best and in bulk shouldn't be too expensive. A mate bought on off Tardme for $115 but seen them cheaper.

motorbyclist
27th August 2008, 22:15
.got a chain though unless they have cutters for those..i hope not..i dont think its that easy to cut those chains..

bolt cutters make short work of most chains, but i've never tried those special bike chains...

cables can be right cunts to cut though

yea of course i'll be checking that - the parking around uni isn't ideal with all teh buses and scooter riders bumping into everything, but at least it'll keep thieves away

i got one already. theyre fan fookin tastic!
good to hear:)

whaddaya reckon about the sensitivity?

Rockbuddy
27th August 2008, 22:19
+1 cheers vn800

TOTO
27th August 2008, 23:32
TOTO wants one.

Honda Hornet 250

Number wanted: 1

Max $50.

rie
28th August 2008, 00:32
i have a xena one - it has alarm stickers all over it. and it's fucking LOUD. and super sensitive. it has the same 'x' as the one you're advertising, andrew.

it goes off when it rains. it goes off when a car passes by. it goes off when a person passes by. it goes off if you put it on a funny angle. it goes off when you put it on, and when you take it off. it goes off if it's in a bad mood.

having said that, every time it goes off i am simultaneously filled with stultifying embarrassment and a calm satisfaction that the alarm WORKS! & that potentially a lurking thief has just crapped him/herself.

i would like to buy an extra one from you, especially if it has a sensitivity control, unlike mine. it is also important that it has alarm stickers, because this will deter some stupid kid amateur from messing with your bike.

...imagine if we all got one each... everytime a car passes by the unifying siren of motorbike alarms will shake city campus with the warcry of disgruntled SMCers. phwoar.

please order 1x for Rie's GPX; she will pay $50-$70 max.

2wheeljunkie
28th August 2008, 00:39
bolt cutters make short work of most chains, but i've never tried those special bike chains...

cables can be right cunts to cut though

hoping it will be a cunt for them to get through..and i park it soo thieves see the chain and hopefully makes them change their mind about fuckin with the hornet..maybe ill put a laminated sign on the hornet saying " this bike has a homing device linked to my computer..steal my bike and il come at u with a hacksaw and tear away your knees"..too angry?? FUCK NO..!

rie
28th August 2008, 00:44
" this bike has a homing device linked to my computer..steal my bike and il come at u with a hacksaw and tear away your knees"

what we need are SMC logos (Secure & Manhunt Co) with above message, printed for members' bikes.

Zim_Invader
28th August 2008, 00:44
that may just tempt them to try... it's like the challenges u see in the movies (oceans 11, but smaller scale). haha. ya, the lock's pretty mint otherwise... plus, just do what i do... lock it through the fork and the frame! it's a double whammie... what are they gonna do? cut through the frame to get the bike? haha... chances are they'll bugger off elsewhere! but i'm thinkin this brakelock is not too bad either... never hurts to have a bit extra... considering it, but wil stick to what i have for now... does the job alright.

Zim_Invader
28th August 2008, 00:46
haha.. below that sticker put... "signed, Rob Norris (head of security)". a name that'd make any man wet himself....

motorbyclist
28th August 2008, 01:33

it goes off when it rains. it goes off when a car passes by. it goes off when a person passes by. it goes off if you put it on a funny angle. it goes off when you put it on, and when you take it off. it goes off if it's in a bad mood.....
please order 1x for Rie's GPX; she will pay $50-$70 max.

might have a look at yours then to see exactly how touchy it is

Zealot
28th August 2008, 03:39
Keen here, currently have nothing but a steering lock.

fLaThEaD FreD
28th August 2008, 07:07
I have a 14mm bright yellow Xena Kickass modell.......paid $99 over the counter. I have it on a bright yellow curly cord to my hand brake lever to stop a rideoff smash disc situation.........highly recommended

Folcan
28th August 2008, 10:26
I might be interested in one for my VFR. but I will have to see how the money goes as usual haha

2wheeljunkie
28th August 2008, 11:49
I might be interested in one for my VFR. but I will have to see how the money goes as usual haha

same deal with 90 % of uni students mate..welcome to our hell..

racefactory
28th August 2008, 12:06
I want one please. How much are we looking at?

motorbyclist
29th August 2008, 05:14
price on monday when i call the guy, but of course the more orders the lower the price

HungusMaximist
29th August 2008, 08:11
Remember to pitch him your sob story bro... :msn-wink:

Slyer
29th August 2008, 08:32
Worst case scenario with the alarm locks just switch off the alarm and you still have an awesome disc lock!

Alby_Joe
29th August 2008, 10:30
I'll take one too

Choco
29th August 2008, 10:49
I'm interested if it's around $50ish, Got myself a Honda Hornet 250 :P
keep us posted :niceone:

swee
29th August 2008, 15:58
put me down for one, 50-60ish $$

cherzz

racefactory
29th August 2008, 17:15
I'll probably be up for 2 of them.

Irontusk
29th August 2008, 22:14
I want one for my VL250, not too worried about price because I was planning on buying one for retail at Cycletreads anyway :) Havn't got one yet, cause at it turns out I can park in my garage. So locked inside at home, and I can see it all day at work, pretty sorted for the weekly commute, but there's other times I'd want a lock.

CB ARGH
29th August 2008, 22:31
Yeah I'll grab one... no more than $70. :wari:

Churr homies!

Winston001
29th August 2008, 23:15
Churrr???!! What is this - a Wookie hangout? :eek:

CB ARGH
30th August 2008, 20:49
Churrr???!! What is this - a Wookie hangout? :eek:

It's a knitting class, idiot. :doctor:

motorbyclist
30th August 2008, 21:22
wow! over 20 respondents is pretty good.. glad i asked before calling as i was only expecting around ten

avgas
30th August 2008, 21:54
if its less than say $70 count me in

oldrider
30th August 2008, 21:59
Count me in too please, if I may. (06 Triumph Tiger 955i) Thanks John.

xwhatsit
31st August 2008, 01:00
Whenever somebody gets one of these, I'd love to see if it'd actually fit my bike. I got one for free a while ago but it wouldn't fit the RS -- old fashioned sort of disc on it, looks similar to that on a CB750K0. I seemed to have a hassle with the spoked wheel too.

motorbyclist
31st August 2008, 02:48
they've got some dimensions up on the site for all their models, so go measure your disc and see if they might have a fit for you;)

xwhatsit
31st August 2008, 02:58
they've got some dimensions up on the site for all their models, so go measure your disc and see if they might have a fit for you;)
Damnit Jim, I'm a computer scientist, not an engineer!

Slyer
31st August 2008, 09:46
They even let you enter a bike model to see if it fits on their website.

karla
31st August 2008, 10:44
I'll take a couple (2) please, hope you're making enough profit to cover postage ~ :niceone:

Scruffygit
31st August 2008, 11:03
I'll have one for a Blackbird please.

xwhatsit
31st August 2008, 12:20
They even let you enter a bike model to see if it fits on their website.
My bike's not in their little database, it never is:niceone:

Anyway, going by the dimensions, it won't fit. Not that my bike was in grave danger of getting stolen first anyway!

PirateJafa
31st August 2008, 13:47
Not that my bike was in grave danger of getting stolen first anyway!

You do realise that the latest bike that was stolen was Andrew's thrashed crashed and smashed Viffer? :P

Irontusk
31st August 2008, 15:19
My bike's not in their little database

I just checked and neither is mine :(

Slyer
31st August 2008, 15:36
Just pick a similar one.

TimeOut
31st August 2008, 17:46
I'll take two
Suzuki DL 650 K7
Kawasaki ZX6R 08

Is the weight right at just about a kilo

Thanks for organising it:rockon:

CB ARGH
31st August 2008, 19:02
Man these locks are going to be pretty cheap I think! Keep this topic bumped and we might get more :2thumbsup

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 01:19
righto, squiggles has suggested now would be a good time/opportunity to get a club deal going with cycletreads - so we'll try for that as well as calling the distributor and see who gives the best deal;)

I'll take a couple (2) please, hope you're making enough profit to cover postage ~ :niceone:

as i said - it'll be at cost as to cover postage and goods only:)

by the same token, once we have confirmation of price etc i'll need confirmation of orders (or have one VERY well protected bike)

but really this is the best way i can think of getting everyone protected at a reasonable price in a reasonable timeframe

Anyway, going by the dimensions, it won't fit. Not that my bike was in grave danger of getting stolen first anyway!

well look around their models! they have quite a few sizes.

oh, and my bike isn't in the database either, but models with common discs are there so maybe look for those?

PirateJafa
1st September 2008, 01:31
Hrmmm I might go for two. :)

BLazeD
1st September 2008, 12:56
Im interested

xwhatsit
1st September 2008, 13:17
well look around their models! they have quite a few sizes.

oh, and my bike isn't in the database either, but models with common discs are there so maybe look for those?
Nah, big whoop. If all goes to plan, my bike will soon be drum brakes all around anyway, so I'll just chain it to Dushy's bike (with no brakes and him riding it, it won't be going anywhere fast anyway, will it?)

Real_Wolf
1st September 2008, 14:43
I'll take an XN15, it says it fits an XS1000, so I figure it might fit mine

skidMark
1st September 2008, 15:36

Because it isn't worth stealing! :devil2:

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 18:13
Because it isn't worth stealing! :devil2:

pretty rich coming from a guy who rides a BMX bike around:laugh:

CB ARGH
1st September 2008, 19:12
So when's that phone call going to be made? I'm desperate! :sweatdrop

I'm confirming my order, I'll definately get one if it's under $70 (which I'm sure it is).

Quailboy
1st September 2008, 19:23
Good stuff!

I'm keen depending on price.

Irontusk
1st September 2008, 20:13
I'll take an XN15, it says it fits an XS1000, so I figure it might fit mine

I'd expect a 1000 to have a much bigger disc than a 250.

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 21:43
So when's that phone call going to be made? I'm desperate! :sweatdrop

I'm confirming my order, I'll definately get one if it's under $70 (which I'm sure it is).

didn't get time to do it today due to picking up new bike and sorting out my little brother's hornet, but will get onto it tomorrow when i'm sorting insurance etc etc

squiggles made the valid point that if i posted this up in the main KB forum there'd be even more interest, but then i'm tempted to put a $5 surcharge on non SMC members to try and cover the time it'll take me to organise 100 odd bloody orders. might have a second round depending on how this first lot goes

planning (hoping) to deliver before semester starts in 14 days

I'd expect a 1000 to have a much bigger disc than a 250.

maybe, unless they just plonked the 1000 disc onto the 250 and jsut gave the 250 a smaller/weaker caliper (or only one disc when the thou has two)

NC30 discs are the same as vtr1000 firestorms!

Winston001
1st September 2008, 22:51
squiggles made the valid point that if i posted this up in the main KB forum there'd be even more interest, but then i'm tempted to put a $5 surcharge on non SMC members to try and cover the time ....

Perfectly reasonable thing to do, I suggest you add $5 for your effort.

bomma
1st September 2008, 22:59
Perfectly reasonable thing to do, I suggest you add $5 for your effort.

and buy me a pocket bike with the proceeds:clap:

just $5 a lock will help give a poor black boy fuel, gear and a pocket rocket so he can live his reasonably short and tedious life knowing the joys of riding a midget's vehicle. please give generously to the "Buy Nish a Brand Spanking New Pocket Rocket So He Can Hoon Around And Have Fun Foundation" also known as the BNABSNPRSHCHAAHFF. beacuse charity starts by you giving your money away :banana:

PirateJafa
1st September 2008, 23:01
Not unless you get a snazzier-sounding acronym mate.

bomma
1st September 2008, 23:16
Not unless you get a snazzier-sounding acronym mate.

but the BNABSNPRSHCHAAHFF is awesome!!! dont be scared Jafa, the BNABSNPRSHCHAAHFF wont hurt you......succumb to its sheer awesomeness and give me your money:devil2:

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 23:38
just $5 a lock will help give a poor black boy fuel, gear and a pocket rocket .... the BNABSNPRSHCHAAHFF.

well i could chuck 4-5 bucks on and give a lump to the SMC... but then of course I dunno what we'd do with it!

maybe an SMC "bike security" fund?

perhaps replace all stephen's IOUs with actual money?

either that or I buy a few rounds of drinks for the following friday night chiller (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=64433):drinkup:

it all depends on the cost of the locks and hassle involved i guess

will know more after calling and having a look at them

Real_Wolf
2nd September 2008, 13:33
lol, see if you can apply for some of that money from uni for clubs, for bike safety

phantom
2nd September 2008, 14:27
squiggles made the valid point that if i posted this up in the main KB forum there'd be even more interest, but then i'm tempted to put a $5 surcharge on non SMC members to try and cover the time it'll take me to organise 100 odd bloody orders. might have a second round depending on how this first lot goes

If you decide to charge more for non SMC members,as you are entitled to do, just remember this isn't mentioned in the original post which invites expressions of interest from non SMC members

Swoop
2nd September 2008, 14:45
The Xena XN15 fits the Stealth Fighter.

Count me in.

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 14:50
If you decide to charge more for non SMC members,as you are entitled to do, just remember this isn't mentioned in the original post which invites expressions of interest from non SMC members

good point!

will call the guy and amend the post as required. may post up a thread with a definite price up in the general forum

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 15:42
talked to the "product manager" and apparently they only really carry the XN15 (http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/XNSeries/XN15/page1/), XN14 and XD10 (http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/10Series/XD10/page1/).

the only major difference between the two is size

the rrp on these is "around $120", but they will do us what is basically trade price of $90 for the XN15, and $70 for the XD10 (all including gst)

they'll run it through cycletreads and wouldn't really budge on that one, but he reckons $90 so that's what it is.

Now the plan is to get another guesstimate of interest, but i'll post up in the main forum, and put a link here for those interested

$3 charge for non SMC members to cover my time/hassle/petrol/risk*.
will get confirmed orders, buy the lot and distribute. dunno what shipping is like outside of auckland, but within auckland I might just deliver them by bike and/or have everyone collect them at the chiller and/or courier

*if you guys commit to a purchase i'd appreciate you carrying it out. at $3 per non member i'm not exactly going to have much cash to cover any losses. if anything is faulty it get brought back to me and i'll chase it up for a replacement under the CGA and/or warranty

Squiggles
2nd September 2008, 16:49
Ill add this to the next club email to go out :)

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 18:28
FUCKING FASTWAY COURIERS

i'm looking up their pricing to ship these and it crashed my browser, taking with it a SHITLOAD of effort put into the new thread

Real_Wolf
2nd September 2008, 18:59
wait, theres a club email? I have never gotten this in all my time so far.

Anyways, more relevant, don't try to arrange shipping, get them shipped to a location thats useful, and get people to pick them up off you instead

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 19:03
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=81077

the new thread

go see it

motorbyclist
4th September 2008, 18:06
*bump*

that poll is showing a lot more interest than my PM inbox

Squiggles
5th September 2008, 09:16
Post it in the online trading section, everyone looks there...

Winston001
5th September 2008, 13:04
I'm going to send a prepaid addressed courier or post bag to motorbyclist to save him mucking around with couriers. One of those bubble postal envelopes would do the job.

motorbyclist
5th September 2008, 13:52
bloody good idea too

motorbyclist
5th September 2008, 13:56
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=81077

the "new" thread has been around all week

and a link is in online trading

Squiggles
16th December 2008, 17:33
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1853160#post1853160

Another one gone from down under the quad... keep locking them guys, ill let unisafe know

Slyer
16th December 2008, 17:49
I have a disc lock for sale, mine didn't fit. $60 anyone?

hospitalfood
16th December 2008, 18:36
had one of these, was good but a tad sensitive
went off all the time..................
would like a good one.

Squiggles
16th December 2008, 19:14
Yer, many just remove the battery, they are one of the most solid locks i've seen. Would love one if i had two options when locking, one for alarm one for without

CB ARGH
16th December 2008, 19:38
My alarm kept going off but after speaking with andrew we discovered it was my bike (we tried another lock on his bike and then on my bike, no problem on his, but way sensitive on mine - Aftermarket CBR250RR MC22 MetalGear Disc Rotors)

I just decided to take the batteries out of it. Still works a treat!

motorbyclist
16th December 2008, 22:27
yeah remember guys that they are less sensitive (or so the manual says) if you hang them from the bottom of the disc

racefactory
22nd December 2008, 11:30
any more stock coming in?

Real_Wolf
22nd December 2008, 11:41
Doubt theres anymore stock coming in, however if you want one (has to be one of the big ones) I currently have one thats not in use that I'd be willing to sell at the price I paid for it.

Still got the original box even

Slyer
22nd December 2008, 11:59
I'll sell mine for $60

shingo
22nd December 2008, 12:51
I'll sell mine for $60

If it's the XN15 i'll buy it off you for $50.

Slyer
22nd December 2008, 13:00
It is the XN15 and it's $60 :bleh:
$50 if you come and pick it up in the next two days.