PDA

View Full Version : Cheesecutter protection

Non Biker
28th August 2008, 22:01
Hi Guys I am new to your site, I am also a non biker, however I am currently working on a system to protect bikers from the wire rope barriers and also to protect bikers from those horrible steel posts that are now being used on the side of the roads to hold up the Steel barriers.
My products are about to go through the first stage of testing, once that is completed and proven to be satisfactory I will need to find $ 70,000 to have them tested in Chistchurch to ensure that they meet the international road barrier standards.
Once that is completed it is then a matter of getting Transit to commit to fitting the barrier shields to the existing barriers and all new barriers.
So there is someone out there working to make the roads a saver place for you guys. I may need some help from you all at somestage in the meantime just stay clear of those horrible things and we will see an inprovement in the future.
I have been working on this project for just on 9 months so far and are about 2-3 months from completing it.
Non Biker

Trudes
28th August 2008, 22:07
That's awesome, good on you for seeing something wrong out there and getting off your bum and trying to do something about it!!:clap:
Oh, and thank you :hug:

howdamnhard
28th August 2008, 22:11
Great keep up the good work,lets hope they work and transit takes them on board.:niceone:

Katman
28th August 2008, 22:13
Good for you. I hope you get all the support you deserve.

Trying to get the barriers removed was always going to be a futile exercise.

ajturbo
28th August 2008, 22:15
so... your saying , that you MAY want us to crash into your barriers to test them????

err.... talk to the bucket racers.. they'll crash just for the hell of it!!!

Maha
28th August 2008, 22:17
Finally!
I am sure you can/will get all the support you need Non Biker. And being a Non Biker makes makes no difference, cheesecutters can effect all road users.

<Rhino>
29th August 2008, 06:18
Well done that man. When you need the voice to convince transit I'm sure every biker and their families will be behind you evey step of the way.

TonyB
29th August 2008, 07:43
Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but there is already a product available. It is apparently manditory in France.
This is it. (http://www.sodirel.com/English/HTML/catalogue/nov_protection.asp)

motorbyclist
29th August 2008, 08:10
I will need to find $ 70,000 to have them tested in Chistchurch to ensure that they meet the international road barrier standards.

well it would be pretty difficult to make them less safe than the existing barrier:laugh:

and yeah, there's already a few products on the market, but ultimately a concrete barrier has no mandatory clearance for LTNZ to ignore and can actually stop heavy traffic.....

good on ya though:)

talked to LTNZ about this product yet?

yungatart
29th August 2008, 08:23
Welcome to the site! An awesome and worthwhile project , for sure. Big ups to you and good luck

Good for you. I hope you get all the support you deserve.

Trying to get the barriers removed was always going to be a futile exercise.

Who was trying to get them removed??

Big Dog
29th August 2008, 08:31
Good stuff!

Just being a non biker doesn't stop you organising some rides to raise funds for your project.

Please keep up the good work and post up some more information about your project.

MSTRS
29th August 2008, 08:54
Who cares that you don't ride? That you have taken note of what we bikers are exposed to, and have the ability/where-with-all to do something positive...brilliant. We all thank you. :niceone:
There will be quite a few in ChCh who will no doubt volunteer for the testing process (they're all mad down there), but don't use OneArmedBandit...he will skew the results :whistle:

slimjim
29th August 2008, 09:08
:Pokey: scam ........................? reckon so.....................

sunhuntin
29th August 2008, 09:15
sounds a good idea... id be keen to go on some local [wellington or similar area] rides to fundraise. on the other hand, why not try and contact the french manufacturers and see about importing some of their product? might be easier and cheaper, unless your product is better.

jim, that thought crossed my mind as well, but non biker isnt asking us for money towards the 70grand cost.

MSTRS
29th August 2008, 09:51
A scam? Why now? That cynical attitude is very familiar...
The other thing is - in Europe a product known as Moto-tub is used under the armco rails, but I'm not aware of any decent cover/protection system for cheesecutters...there may be some sort of clip-on post buffer? but it leaves the wires and post tops exposed.

slimjim
29th August 2008, 10:29
sorry dude ..... climb's with no other knowledge ..?. yea right.... and stating new to site ... fuck enough info on target write up... hummmm... nope .. nonbelive this nonbiker.......

Sparrowhawk
29th August 2008, 10:37
Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but there is already a product available. It is apparently manditory in France.
This is it. (http://www.sodirel.com/English/HTML/catalogue/nov_protection.asp)

I'm sure LTNZ/NZ Police/NZ Govt will support MOTOTUB. Here's a quote from their website:
"In the event of an impact, the MOTO.TUBŪ arrests the motorcyclist"

Sounds like it fits with their existing policies :lol:

Good on ya Non Biker! Best of luck with what you're doing.

Choco
29th August 2008, 10:45
Keep up the good work man and if we can do anything to help (except test them :no:) let us know!
Choco

Non Biker
1st September 2008, 22:13
Hi guys thanks for your support, yes there is a product in France,Transit have looked at bringing it in and found that it was not up to standard and also the cost was to high for them to justify.
There is also a post protection system that is available, it does not protect the biker from the wires or the tops of the posts, also the life if the protection units is not very long, so transit would have an ongoing replacement cost.
The units I am working on completely cover the wire barrier and have a 15 + year life expectancy unless damaged by impact.
The units that fit under the armco are made from the same materials.
Transit have indicated that the pricing would be within thier cost equation.
I am looking at carrying out some prelimanary testing some stage this month useing an old car and a wire barrier fence constructed next to the runway at Paraparaumu airport.
Once this is done I will post a short video of the test for you guys to have a look at.
Safe riding.
Non Biker

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 23:27
if this is just a plastic sheet along the barrier's length....

Gremlin
2nd September 2008, 02:16
I may need some help from you all at somestage in the meantime just stay clear of those horrible things and we will see an inprovement in the future.
Not in the way of being a dummy I hope? :confused: Although I'm sure there are a few dummies on here :done:

Only problem with this is while it definitely helps us, it doesn't really help when a truck bowls through the barrier, and hits cars like skittles.

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 02:29
farking pisses me right off not being able to make a perfectly safe pass on SH1 from auckland to hamilton anymore due to that bloody wire

DEATH_INC.
2nd September 2008, 05:38
Good work Fella! Glad to see you're spending the time and effort for such a good cause. Good luck with it and hopefully we'll see em out there real soon. :banana:

Drum
2nd September 2008, 05:45
.......Transit have indicated that the pricing would be within thier cost equation.....

Note that Transit no longer exist. They are now the NZ Transport Agency. Best to know who you're dealing with eh.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Meanie
2nd September 2008, 07:18
Well lets hope this is the answer to what most of us consider to be a huge threat.

WelshWizard
3rd September 2008, 18:43
Note that Transit no longer exist. They are now the NZ Transport Agency. Best to know who you're dealing with eh.

Good luck with your endeavors.

The name may have changed but you are still dealing the same @#$##$#$%^#%$%^* people

Edited as full coment not printable.

Any product that keeps the Motorcyclist away from both post's and any part of the wires would be good, Dan would have been around if something laike that had beeen fitted to the WRB,s last October.

skidMark
3rd September 2008, 20:28
The name may have changed but you are still dealing the same @#$##$#$%^#%$%^* people

Edited as full coment not printable.

Any product that keeps the Motorcyclist away from both post's and any part of the wires would be good, Dan would have been around if something laike that had beeen fitted to the WRB,s last October.

Yeah mate a bit of plastic is better than a fucking post any day of the week.

Damn i miss that fella :crybaby:

Non Biker
4th September 2008, 09:34
Hello Guys
Great to see the responces to my idea, sorry that SLIMJIM sees it as nothing more than a scam, maybe when the whole thing is in place he might want to shake my hand and say sorry mate, who knows.
Also thank you to the guys that suggested putting on a charity ride to get some funds together, That would be great ,it is not the sort of support that I am looking for, this is a commercial venture that I have set up I need to find commercial funding or get the money from my own sources.
I know you guys are all into bikes however I am sure you appreciate a great car when you see one.
I need to sell my toy to keep going with this project, if you know anyone who wants to buy Mclaren M6 GT sportscar let me know $ 55,000 will buy it.
The main support that I am looking for is when the protection system has passed all of the tests we still need to get them installed, that where your help comes in.Pressure to have the units installed will see them put up otherwise they will just sit around as another great idea that went nowhere.
Regards
non biker

Meanie
4th September 2008, 10:21
Have I missed something? Do you know something the rest of us have missed slimjim? Why the hostility? :confused:

Just what i was thinking
A bit more than meets the eye here me thinks

MSTRS
Don't worry about the nay sayer/s - he/they will get the same benefit as the rest of us if this goes ahead.
If your product is as good as you reckon, it will speak for itself. But you will still need to apply pressure where it counts, and motorcyclists in general will be more than happy to do that.

motorbyclist
all the best mate, i seriously do hope your product goes ahead and gets installed here, or atleast overseas.

god only knows what slimjim is getting so worked up about - it's not like bikers have anything to lose here

ManDownUnder
4th September 2008, 10:22
Have I missed something? Do you know something the rest of us have missed slimjim? Why the hostility? :confused:

I'm with her ^^^.

I'm happy to wait till I have a few more facts personally... from what I know so far it sounds promising and while nothing's perfect first time out of the blocks... this has to be at least a promising start.

Waiting for that video

motorbyclist
4th September 2008, 10:31
Just what i was thinking
A bit more than meets the eye here me thinks

Don't worry about the nay sayer/s

all the best mate,

SNAP!

10char

RiderInBlack
4th September 2008, 13:57
Think that post of SlimJim's is one for the Mods ta PD.

Glad ta have someone making an effort re: making the barriers safer. We need all the help we can get there.

Meekey_Mouse
4th September 2008, 14:00
Nobody could...now I know how hard it is being illiterate.

Haha, hooray for being able to read illiterate!

Correct me if I'm wrong slimjim, but basically what your saying is that you've picked up plenty of mates after a bin. You sometimes get a bad feeling when you're out on a ride so you'll pull over/take it easy and then a short time down the road some one else has binned. This time you're getting the same feeling but it is of this thread/protection idea. Also Nonbiker is wanting to test motorcycle safety barriers... With a car?!

I think if it works, it's awesome and yeah sure you need to start some where and cars are a good way to know if it'll work at all. But I do hope you are going to test it with bikes going at all speeds and angles at some point... ?

Meanie
4th September 2008, 15:30
Whatever hes smokin, i want some

avgas
4th September 2008, 16:04
Finally!
I am sure you can/will get all the support you need Non Biker. And being a Non Biker makes makes no difference, cheesecutters can effect all road users.
Yes think of the road users out there.......who are looking for cut cheese

MSTRS
4th September 2008, 16:25
Careful...we can talk about cheesecutters, but not about cutting the cheese. That would be in bad taste.

WelshWizard
4th September 2008, 18:19
Yeah mate a bit of plastic is better than a fucking post any day of the week.

Damn i miss that fella :crybaby:

SkidMark it was not the post that killed Dan its was the wires themselves, I have had that confirmed, and it will come out at the inquest, we will make sure of that.

Pixie
5th September 2008, 09:53
mates i've picked a few up manytimes ... hummmm this one naaa sorry normally i'll motocross around, other times i speak of .. but this one is ... hummm sorry does not feel good and i've pulled over of those feelings' ridden twenty minutes later onto a seen yea .. this one know its a screen however feeling like ... mate now he's speaking of testing old car into a barrier post . na sorry K Br's
...........................................:yes: i'll pull over an spark up ,

. ............time
......:innocent: is
mine

so my Heart....

...Slimjim...

Someone explained this incoherent drivel in a later post.

So if you're concerned about the device being tested with a car,slimjerk,why not volunteer to be the crash test dummy?That way we all win.
I'm sure the qualifications can be relaxed in your case.

avgas
5th September 2008, 10:14
Careful...we can talk about cheesecutters, but not about cutting the cheese. That would be in bad taste.
What i want to know is when people will protest against the George Foreman Concrete Barriers.

celticbhoy
9th September 2008, 15:22
I have met non biker and have discussed with him this idea and I can assure you it is not a scam of any sort. He is genuinely interested in making the barriers safer while also seing the commercial value. The reason he has to test with a car is that 90% of barrier contacts are with a car and the safety also relates to any debris from the impact not becoming projectiles. No point trying to make a safe barrier for bikes but when a car actually hits it becomes a death trap for everybody as well! He is not asking for money so just keep supporting at this stage and lets see where it goes......

MSTRS
9th September 2008, 16:13
Good on ya Celticbhoy. I will be following this one with much interest.
There is also much info to be perused here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=62450

Mom
26th February 2009, 12:26
Hi Guys I am new to your site, I am also a non biker, however I am currently working on a system to protect bikers from the wire rope barriers and also to protect bikers from those horrible steel posts that are now being used on the side of the roads to hold up the Steel barriers.
My products are about to go through the first stage of testing, once that is completed and proven to be satisfactory I will need to find $ 70,000 to have them tested in Chistchurch to ensure that they meet the international road barrier standards.
Once that is completed it is then a matter of getting Transit to commit to fitting the barrier shields to the existing barriers and all new barriers.
So there is someone out there working to make the roads a saver place for you guys. I may need some help from you all at somestage in the meantime just stay clear of those horrible things and we will see an inprovement in the future.
I have been working on this project for just on 9 months so far and are about 2-3 months from completing it.
Non Biker

Hey there, just wondering how you are progressing with all of this?

MSTRS
14th April 2009, 16:58
Hey there, just wondering how you are progressing with all of this?

I've just had a talk with his partner in this venture. There will be an announcement soon as to what is/isn't happening. And why...

R-Soul
24th May 2010, 14:33
What was it?

MSTRS
24th May 2010, 17:20
NZTA were not interested. That's what I was told. I don't know why he never came on here to let us all know.