PDA

View Full Version : Back to bikes - again (cheshirecat)

cheshirecat
29th August 2008, 11:16
Recently got back to bikes after nearly 20 years. My Range Rover was of the road for 4 weeks and it saved me nearly $500 petrol which equaled a deposit on a bike. Last year after trawling Trademe I picked up a Honda VF500. I had one in London and it was an incredible machine. Able to tour France and nip through London traffic with equal ease in all weathers including snow and ice. Incredibly reliable as well.
I've just got a 1994 vfr750 in mint condition. This is my 10th Honda. Earlier ones being a CB160, way ahead of its time; CB250, CB400 four, CB125, CB750, Goldwing, CBX1000, VF500 (x2) VFR750. You could say I'm Honda biased but the buy decision has been how it came down to at the time. I choose a bike for daily transport in all ridable weather ( think -15 was the coldest) I once spent a couple of years despatch riding in London, which was an education on survival and in my distant youth did a UK police bike training course which is heartily reccomended, their riding manuel is one of the best if you can get it.
I enjoy riding in NZ, though there are some mighty strange traffic rules, and hopefully take a tour around the South Island which should bring back memories of those longed for French Alpiine roads and German autobahns

Happy biking

yod
29th August 2008, 11:23
Recently got back to bikes after nearly 20 years. My Range Rover was of the road for 4 weeks and it saved me nearly $500 petrol which equaled a deposit on a bike. Last year after trawling Trademe I picked up a Honda VF500. I had one in London and it was an incredible machine. Able to tour France and nip through London traffic with equal ease in all weathers including snow and ice. Incredibly reliable as well.
I've just got a 1994 vfr750 in mint condition. This is my 10th Honda. Earlier ones being a CB160, way ahead of its time; CB250, CB400 four, CB125, CB750, Goldwing, CBX1000, VF500 (x2) VFR750. You could say I'm Honda biased but the buy decision has been how it came down to at the time. I choose a bike for daily transport in all ridable weather ( think -15 was the coldest) I once spent a couple of years despatch riding in London, which was an education on survival and in my distant youth did a UK police bike training course which is heartily reccomended, their riding manuel is one of the best if you can get it.
I enjoy riding in NZ, though there are some mighty strange traffic rules, and hopefully take a tour around the South Island which should bring back memories of those longed for French Alpiine roads and German autobahns

Happy biking

welcome mate

dont worry about the honda-bashing, they're just jealous

as far as touring the south goes; the french alpine roads? yes. the german autobahns? err...no....

road surface here is generally pretty average

road contour, however, is bloody splendiferous

:niceone:

EJK
29th August 2008, 11:27
Welcome to KB :sunny:

French Alpiine roads and German autobahns

Wow sounds splendid! Hope to find some scenery similar in NZ! :niceone: If you do, give us some detail where so that we too can go and have a visit.

forkoil
29th August 2008, 11:30
I clearly remember riding a mates CB360, it stood out as the most gutless characterless bike compared to its contemporaries I ever rode ;) Give me an RD or T350 anyday

Jerry74
29th August 2008, 11:32
I have owned a few hondas too, good reliable machines

imw-hornet
29th August 2008, 11:51
Welcome to the site ,,, remember to always have fun ,,, yea ha :)

Badjelly
29th August 2008, 11:57
I clearly remember riding a mates CB360, it stood out as the most gutless characterless bike compared to its contemporaries I ever rode.

Not Honda's best work. Luckily, chesirecat had the good judgement not to own one.

Number One
29th August 2008, 11:59
Welcome to KB cheshirecat :sunny: Might see you round on the welly roads sometime...like maybe today - I SPIE SUNSHINE WITH MY LITTLE EYE...and I don't work Fridays...fuck I still love saying that! Wonder if the novelty will ever wear off :whistle:

forkoil
29th August 2008, 12:01
Not Honda's best work. Luckily, chesirecat had the good judgement not to own one.
True, the CB400, CB750 and partic the VF750 redeemed Honda, though the CB900 grenades at the Castrol 6hr were a sight to see.

Trudes
29th August 2008, 12:06
Hi ya, welcome to KB, enjoy!:sunny:

slimjim
29th August 2008, 15:44
dude .. you gota stop posting about those autobahn's :rolleyes: gona get there one day, :cool:

Swoop
29th August 2008, 17:16
Hi mate! Welcome to KB.

I upgraded my '96 VFR 750 last year. What a superb bike!!!
The KB anti-mensa society will regard you as a "homo" for having a superior bike to them... Simply pander to these inferior beings as they know no better and choose weaker and inferior brands of bike:blip:

Join the VFR preservation social group (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/group.php?groupid=29). We are very VFR friendly!

Good to have you around here.
:ride:

cheshirecat
30th August 2008, 17:56
This thead just goes to show anywhere you go in the world with a bike you've joined a club.