PDA

View Full Version : Who said bikes aren't dangerous?

kevfromcoro
30th August 2008, 06:27
Had a ring from a mate yesterday..come on get the bike out and we will go for a ride.Grabbed some gear and down to the garage to get the bike out.
Well if anyone knows anything about Honda 600 singles..they are bitches to start..even on a good day...
kick,,kick,,kick..no luck..mate turns up and we have a bit of a tinker.
back on the bike for another kick.
Then it gives a hell backfire.just about drove my ankle out my ear.
Rolling around on the garage floorin pain..and was nearlly sick.
after the pain subsided..i was able to walk around.
later that evening my foot swelled up and was unable to walk.
down to A&E .for a check.had an xray.and found no brocken bones...only bad sprain and a few torn ligaments..they gave me some painkillers...which didnt seem to do much..and a pair of crutches.
i live ,,was great fun trying to get down to my car in the bush,,about 60 ft up in the a bank...was great fun trying to get down to my car...on one leg in the dark.getting back up was worse.
no more kickstart bikes for me.
the pain isnt worth it..................

fatzx10r
30th August 2008, 06:37
ouch, yeah that would hurt like hell alright. i've had a few kick back at me but not that bad. YET!

Wingnut
30th August 2008, 06:37
That sure is a bit rough mate. Time to trade her in on a push button version eh??

Bikernereid
30th August 2008, 07:38
Ouch don't sound good. Lazy push buttons seem the less painful option. Have fun on the crutches!!

awayatc
30th August 2008, 08:05
Does it not have an (automatic) decompression lever?...
Biggest single kickstarter I had was an XT 400 Yamaha (same as 550) was as easy to start as a nifty fifty.....
Can't beat electric leg though....
Good luck

Buddha#81
30th August 2008, 08:13
I had a XR600 in the early '90's and my theory was If they could sart it without killing themself, they were worthy of riding it. Nothing like rolling a 600cc single to TDC on the kick starter and giving it a boot hoping it wasn't going to "get ya". It was warmed up with Ballards gear and was a "one mans" type of bike to get started. Oh the fun we had watching the unsuspecting kicking that thing.:doctor::devil2:

martybabe
30th August 2008, 08:19
I feel your pain bro, mine was a panther 600/650 single back in the day, felt like my leg had been ripped off.

Thank you Mr electric starter inventor. Heal quick mate. :niceone:

Jerry74
30th August 2008, 14:24
Bugger know how you feel even my old DR used to kick me back.

Does your bike have a decompression lever??

xwhatsit
30th August 2008, 14:38
Haha! Poor bastard.

If you know it's in good condition (i.e. not a problem due to weak spark or anything), after a few kicks if it still hasn't fired up the safest way to get it going is to bump-start it.

I think the biggest way to avoid it is to give it a proper kick in the first place, i.e. no pansy limp-wristed flops. No crashing two-stroke style `stomps' either -- you want a strong push through the stroke, follow through with it. Don't touch the throttle either, if you open the throttle (for hot starting) on my little RS it'll kick back every time (not that it's a big deal with a small engine like that).

I'm not sure if the decompresser helps, btw. On bikes with automatic ones (I think all of the XLs and XRs), all they do is get it over TDC, then it's back to full compression.

Blackshear
30th August 2008, 15:05
Haha! Poor bastard.

If you know it's in good condition (i.e. not a problem due to weak spark or anything), after a few kicks if it still hasn't fired up the safest way to get it going is to bump-start it.

I think the biggest way to avoid it is to give it a proper kick in the first place, i.e. no pansy limp-wristed flops. No crashing two-stroke style `stomps' either -- you want a strong push through the stroke, follow through with it. Don't touch the throttle either, if you open the throttle (for hot starting) on my little RS it'll kick back every time (not that it's a big deal with a small engine like that).

I'm not sure if the decompresser helps, btw. On bikes with automatic ones (I think all of the XLs and XRs), all they do is get it over TDC, then it's back to full compression.

I don't know if my fathers XR500 had the decompressor thingy, all I know is that it was old, dual link or summat, been bored/ported/lighter flywheel/cam profile... Ex racing thing it was. He said he'd give me 40$ if I got it running from cold in less than 5 kicks. I got to two, and cried, because the bitch kicked back and ripped my gumboots.
Long blue and yellow up your calf, anyone?
I never actually rode it. Too loud and scary.
LOVED my KDX, though. :scooter:
All of that water cooled, 2 strokey goodness.
I need to get a dirtbike for much forest hooning.

kevfromcoro
30th August 2008, 15:24
I think i might be to light to give it the big kick......
have had hevier mates start it without much trouble..
all these stories.about kickbacks are sending a chill down my spine
Iam just starting to hobble about the house..

xwhatsit
30th August 2008, 15:48
I don't know if my fathers XR500 had the decompressor thingy, all I know is that it was old, dual link or summat,
Yep that has the automatic decompresser. Same as my engine, just bigger bore and stroke :D Sounds like it was a horny beast!

Proper boots are always a good idea too!

niero
30th August 2008, 16:19
O mate, that must have been a real bitch. I had to kickstart only once before, and thats when my fxr's battery had died. Thankfully didnt kickback. But yeah, stick with the electrics, they are a lot nicer on the foot, (espicially when there are a lot less than 50 horses firing right back at ya.)

Good luck and all the best

avgas
30th August 2008, 16:35
yep bikes are bloody tempramental. i found that if i treat them like women i feel better for it.
if she does go in the first few attempt leave her to vent her frustrations, come back talk sweetly and hopefully she is off first pop

Titanium
30th August 2008, 16:51
Brings new meaning to the phrase "decompression sickness". Thought it would have had a valve...

Blackshear
30th August 2008, 17:37
Yep that has the automatic decompresser. Same as my engine, just bigger bore and stroke :D Sounds like it was a horny beast!

Proper boots are always a good idea too!
Sounded awesome with his home made headers and a big fat Coby on the ass :rockon:

BAD DAD
30th August 2008, 17:39
Never tried to kick-start a 600 single but back when flared polyester slacks were all the rage and velour sweaters were coming into vogue, I used to kick over 650 twins without any problems. Must admit it did take a while to get the technique right, and in those days I only weighed around 8&1/2 stone. The prospect of pain and/or injury certainly focuses the mind ( not enough to buy a new decompression lever cable though ).
Decades later I've gone all bourgeois and got electric start.

Ixion
30th August 2008, 18:46
650 twin is MUCH easier than a 500 single, cos the other cylinder helps carry the compression cylinder over TDC

The persian gentleman has the right of it. A good through kick with all your weight behind it. You kick start a big single with your back not your leg.

McJim
30th August 2008, 19:13
What kind of boots were you using to kick start it? Personally I never even attempt a kickstart on any bike unless I am fuly armoured up to the knee...

jafar
30th August 2008, 19:48
Kickstarted a TT500 once, didn't know about the decompression lever, shot me half over the bars :doh:

TOTO
31st August 2008, 11:12
Forget Kick Start fellas...

The new age is Click Start :doh: