PDA

View Full Version : Need to be ALMOST a miracle worker to run a profitable business these days do ya

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 11:29
With the average person,s spending power being sucked up with general cost of living, to run a profitable successful business, seems you either have to be a near miracle worker,or have some locked tight Government contract.
I live in the Horowhenua area, and in recent times, LONG STANDING businessess have folded the last of which was our daily newspaper yesterday. The list of GONE bussinessess would be impressive, if some one was trying to achieve that statistic--but is in reality -terrible.
Feltex, Phil Turnbul, Levin Chronicle, local textile place, to name a few.
What with all the Finance companys that have evapourated people,s savings on top of that--WHO, WHAT , is causing this concentration of wealth into fewer hands---Is it Govt policy--covert albiet?
Unless the average person has spending power, above and beyond, weekly living costs,how can business survive---and who would be game enough to start one up.

CookMySock
31st August 2008, 11:47
Even us little businesses are struggling. Every bastard in the food chain is doing their very best to fuck then next guy above and below him. It's no fun any more - its all about whether you are prepared to be smarter, rougher, or have less morals than the next person. The people left in business are those who know how to say NO, those who are prepared to bash the next person to death, and those who are prepared to break the law. Basically, its "get used to it or get out". Not for the faint hearted.

DB

Strang0r
31st August 2008, 11:55
sad sad times....

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 11:56
Failed finance company investors, in reality, would have been better off putting their bucks into Harleys or BMWs or some expensive bike for at least they would still have them to enjoy.
The small business world sounds very rough and tough--red tape experts for sure.

Ixion
31st August 2008, 11:58
What with all the Finance companys that have evapourated people,s savings on top of that--WHO, WHAT , is causing this concentration of wealth into fewer hands---Is it Govt policy--covert albiet?

The wealth is not being concentrated into fewer hands, or not Kiwi hands, at any rate. Nor is it overt government policy.

The wealth stripped from the hard working poor (and realtively poor) has trickled up, to the multinational corporations and been sent off shore.

New Zealand is being asset stripped.

avgas
31st August 2008, 12:00
yep - the gubbermints left the whole thing wide open for little greedy's while the rest who had a clue have either moved themselves or operations overseas.
My recommendations would be to leave the sinking ship asap or learn how to swim as the NZ economy gets stuck in a tidal storm of global complications.

Big Dave
31st August 2008, 12:32
I think the closure of rural small business is more to do with the technology.

What was once a horror journey to the big smoke for commerce has been replaced by 4wds with climate control, a smooth motorway and the intarnet.

tri boy
31st August 2008, 12:32
Meh. Just a lower, (but not necessarily the bottom) of another NZ financial cycle.
Those with high set overheads are feeling the pain, and some are going under. On the other hand, smart bussiness's with low overheads, and set costs are increasing advertising, and prepping themselves for the upside in about a year.
Those who grizzle about "cutthroat competitors n undercutting sharks" are those that have the aforementioned issues.
Yes it's are rough time for many, but nobody can say it wasn't predicted, they just closed their ears an eyes to the approaching wave. MHO

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 12:38
The corporate world got the blank cheque with Roger Douglas labour Govt way bac in 84 and successive PRIVATISATIONS especially electricity grid, telecom, Gst increases, Employment contracts act ,have squashed the work force,at least those dependant on some sort of production or throughput, as they have to compete with overseas labour standards,UNLESS your in the civil servant realm, who seem to able able to muscle up decent wages.
So PRODUCTION WORKERS ARE COMPETING WITH their counterparts in ASIA and god knows where else. AND THE QUAINT GLOBAL VILLAGE concept is really only a way of putting the boot into our workforce. OUR daily lives are vastly different from a worker in Thailand, Samoa or China and yet NZ workforce has to compete with them--Global village warm fussies is a con.

scracha
31st August 2008, 12:39
Even us little businesses are struggling.
DB

?? I'm busier than ever. Had to tighten up the credit though as businesses taking a LOT longer to pay their bills.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 12:48
Remember the TOYOTA car factory in THAMES ? Won international production excellence awards for quality and output. The workforce was to be proud--and them on the scrapheap a few short years later--because???? cheaper elsewhere and the workforce didn,t mean a ???? thing.
They tuned that workforce to the max--then dumped them all--pawns in a game.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 12:54
Current adverts on TV talk about violence and abuse--but isn,t that also violent and abusive when you fine tune a workforce and reward them all with unemployment---the violence and abuse concept has some sort of tunnel vision in the household--and rules of engagement should apply to the workforce as well and the greater part of society.

CookMySock
31st August 2008, 13:18
?? I'm busier than ever. Had to tighten up the credit though as businesses taking a LOT longer to pay their bills.I didn't say I wasn't BUSY, I said those in the food chain above and below me want me dead. I have turnover for the taking, but the sharks are getting sneakier. , which I think is exactly what you said.

I don't have any competitors - I killed them all. Its my suppliers and my customers who are getting underhand. Everyone is trying to lock everyone else into a deal so they have the upper hand. If I say yes, I lose, if I say no, I starve. I can't win. Striking the balance so I have work but still make money is the problem.

The government isn't to blame - I am to blame, as usual. Toughen up, get wise, and say NO. A new attitude is required.

Steve

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 13:30
And when THIS GREAT OFF SHORE production trend is no longer "CHEAPER"--we,ll have to re-tool our workforce and THEN small and other businessess may have a better chance and less ruthless enviroment,and even a pleasant successful,sustainable exisitence.
Eventually other global economies will become richer and not be doing things CHEAPER on any vast scale. Being flat out on the job all day and half the night, is not the receipe for large riches and well offness, that it may have in the past.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 13:36
the govt sets the enviroment in which you operate--with rules,taxes etc etc and whether free or controlled market in your arena of work--so don,t put yourself down---there are forces beyond your control which you have to make sense of and win over, with in a competitive situation and sometimes OVER COMPETITION is pretty destructive.

Virago
31st August 2008, 14:01
...those in the food chain above and below me want me dead. I have turnover for the taking, but the sharks are getting sneakier...Its my suppliers and my customers who are getting underhand...A new attitude is required

Therein lies your problem.

Seeing competitors as "the enemy" is bad enough, but if you view your suppliers and customers in the same light, you are doomed.

Business is all about relationships. Those relationships take a great deal of work to build and maintain. It won't happen overnight, but the trust and mutual respect will eventually build to the point that your relationship will survive the ups and downs, and occasional hiccups.

My own business recently passed the five year mark. To mark the occasion, we took a very large "morning tea" into our largest supplier, to celebrate with them. We spent over an hour with them, talking to all the staff.

My suppliers and customers are simply colleagues. We trust each other.

As a result, I don't even chase work, it comes to me.

I don't ride my bike much at the moment, I sit here at the computer all weekend, churning out a never-ending stream of large invoices. Sigh.

You're right, a new attitude is required. It's worth thinking about.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 14:02
the catch cry of the previous decades was" NOT ENOUGH COMPETITION "in our economy. Extremes of NOT ENOUGH and TOO MUCH--have the same result do they not at the end of the day--too much means failures and low incomes who can,t buy AND not much competition means low income can,t buy anyway because of high prices.. WHAT A CRUDE WAY OF RUNNING SUPPLY AND DEMAND.
IN the 1960,s we had stockplies of wool, meat, grains AND stockplies were FROWNED on---these days they ar called statregic RESERVES in some countries especially food --and not considered silly at all. MY HOW ATTITUDES HAVE CHANGED.

CookMySock
31st August 2008, 14:05
the govt sets the enviroment in which you operate--with rules,taxes etc etc and whether free or controlled market in your arena of workHaw haw, you are not in business are you ? There are workarounds for everything - its just a matter of finding them.

there are forces beyond your control which you have to make sense of and win over, with in a competitive situation and sometimes OVER COMPETITION is pretty destructive.You will go down the toilet with that attitude. The only way to compete is to kill. It's not immoral, you will be widely celebrated, not only as "successful" but as a leader in the community.

Get sneaky, take control. Fuck the lot of them, take what's yours. Take it quick before someone else does. Don't flinch or have morals, there is no time for that, only the quick and the hungry will remain.

DB

Virago
31st August 2008, 14:08
...Fuck the lot of them, take what's yours. Take it quick before someone else does. Don't flinch or have morals, there is no time for that, only the quick and the hungry will remain.

DB

I rest my case.

CookMySock
31st August 2008, 14:18
My suppliers and customers are simply colleagues. We trust each other.SNORT!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Until they get a better deal you are on borrowed time. Get real.. A long term arrangement like that is more a liability than an asset! If they so much as wiggle their little finger, everything you hold dear will be on the rocks, unless you can diversify, or get a new business arrangement quick. People who turn up here wanting to put smoko on for me are in my pocket and I can do as I choose with them.. I wish I had more like that.

My business is approaching the TWENTY FIVE YEAR length, and I believed what you say until very recently. Many of my corporate clients are very well off, and I remain piss poor, yet they crunch me hard for any deal they can. My answer is no.

Many of my suppliers turn over tens of millions and continue to grow, while I get screwed for a harsher and harsher deal. Why ? Because I am weak.

There is no trust in business, only what you have been led to believe, for someone elses gain.

DB

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 14:30
Depends what type of business your your in I think ,as too the sense of fairplay and gentlemans rules that apply.
Years ago I was in the treetrimming business and very good at it--and the ACC levy went higher than an explosvies handler,in fact was the highest rate, and the cowboys got in on the act, then the customers wanted it cheaper and cheaper, and to charge what the job was worth became a nonsense in that undercutting, cost laden, enviroment. Who would climb a forty foot tree for shit.

kickingzebra
31st August 2008, 14:32
Opportunity, and what one does with it... Mine is beginning to grow at an alarming rate, and I have never screwed anyone (cept my wife, but she asked for it...)
I have most certainly been screwed, but as with anything, the whole game of business is about leverage. If you leverage your strengths, and put them out there well, then it will work.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 14:37
maybe I should called myself a rose pruner, bullshitted every aspect of what i did--torched out all the cowboys in the area and beyond and had the customer base for myself---but hey i aint that type of person.--

CookMySock
31st August 2008, 14:52
maybe I should called myself a rose pruner, bullshitted every aspect of what i did--torched out all the cowboys in the area and beyond and had the customer base for myself---but hey i aint that type of person.--Now you're starting to catch on. And thats the problem with business - soon you will be that type of person... or get out. Only the strong will remain.

It just makes us stronger though, and I guess thats about growing up. I'm starting to quite like it - its a challenge. Its like everything - if I knew it was going to be this hard, I wouldn't have done it.

edit: don't burn down the opposition though, you might hurt someone.

DB

Big Dave
31st August 2008, 15:00
I rest my case.

Indeed - I know for a fact that I'm doing a whole lot better than anyone I have ever worked with who said 'nice guys finish last'.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 15:13
need to be in business type where cowboys can,t get--I can,t count the number of house painting companies I know about in the last decade that have gone under because cowboys ruin things ( and some crap management)--but electricians or plumbers who have to be registered -few i would say, because they compete between themselves and don,t do each other in-
COWBOYS might not last long term but do much damage before they crap out.

Serivce industry different ball game from importers and pen pushing types.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 15:34
So that is the sterotype of today,s business person is it--tough, lean, mean-- i do tend to think that DANGERBASTARD has the bottomline because when push comes to shove and there is not enough in it for everyone (when ever line of business it is) and the players are facing hard times for them and their families--they,ll fight using their skills or FLIGHT depending on their make up.

Coyote
31st August 2008, 15:44
So when do we get together and bring back the guillotine?

Swoop
31st August 2008, 16:11
the govt sets the enviroment in which you operate.
Yes. A free trade deal with China is exactly what the labour force of NZ needed.

IN the 1960,s we had stockplies of wool, meat, grains AND stockplies were FROWNED on---these days they ar called statregic RESERVES in some countries especially food --and not considered silly at all. MY HOW ATTITUDES HAVE CHANGED.
We also had to stockpile.
You needed to order items months ahead of time, because the letter you posted to your supplier took time to arrive and the goods were shipped to you.
NZ has completely forgotten how to plan ahead. The "overnight delivery" from anywhere on the planet, has killed off this skill.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 16:14
Just observing the GLADITORIAL modern style battles, some business people have to mindset themselves into---Uptopia hopes that MOST business people don,t have to reach that deep. HENCE the difference in coments on this thread--different lives for different people.

NO ONE REALLY KNOWS HOW STRONG THEY ARE until they are faced with such realities--like a lot a aspects of life---

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 16:21
Yea and if i had my way 1 barrel of oil would = half a sheep carcass to get relativity bac---at the end of the day you can,t eat oil and food producers will win in the end because of that--no matter what is stockpiled or not.
Humans eat food and use oil not the other way round.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 16:28
civilised world has been around a lot longer WITHOUT oil than with it.

A short 150 years and were all oil addicts are we??

tri boy
31st August 2008, 16:37
Being a hard nosed business person doesn't mean you need to be cruel or uncivilised to your opposition.
And in these times, focussing on your clients needs/wants, and going that little bit further for them, (even if it costs you in labour/man hours) will ultimately pay off.
People do spread the good experiences as well as the bad ones.
Exceed your customers expectations is the mantra in a tightening economy.
We had a new customer travel from Manly (Akld region) to purchase off us this Sat, solely because of the free advice and honest approach they received from us over the ph.
Another was stoked with a detailed report that was given back to them regarding there machine.(picked up more work from that) and the fact that we adapted to his time frame, and called him with updates, and gave him several price related choices to the work.
The customer isn't always right, but he/she is keeping your door open.

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 17:18
glad to hear not all stratas of life function at "street level".
Another theory--groups of a like tend to interact with groups of a like--whether consiously so otherwise.
is it a fact that stratas in our society interact with similar and equal stratas in the wider globe.
Maybe our world has become like the old english class society where different classes now interact with each other worldwide. Top flight businessmen mix with other topflight businessmen and apply that to other stratas of society and determine how the different levels mix together or NOT>
Not any topflight businessmen or politicians or leaders of anything frequent my streets so they mix with their own--and can become out of touch with other streams of society.
FORUMS like this begin to open barriers--on one level and that,s good but narrowly virtual.

tri boy
31st August 2008, 17:35
I hope there is no class level developing, and with regards to the service sector, I think it is quite irrelevant.
A struggling family man that expects great service, and value for his limited budget is no less a client than a rich client who can throw thousands over a counter. (in alot of cases, the rich man is more of a time burner, as they can expect you be at their beck n call for some reason), maybe that is where the class structure is emerging??:scratch:

middleaged2wheeler
31st August 2008, 17:47
Just look at the seating arrangements of international flights-
economy class, business class, first class--now that is ingrained and can any group wander between the other-
we have been slowly conditioned and brainwashed into these things--as long as your aware of it I think it has less effect.

kickingzebra
1st September 2008, 04:10
Ironically, the ones that have screwed me the most have been the ones whom I have tried too much to go above, over and beyond for.
So now I over deliver, but price accordingly, and this seems to be working.
Try and treat every client the same, but is tricky not to be a bit more prompt when they are driving a shiney new merc or something...
Weird that... right you are I suppose.
I am service industry too, and meeting all sorts of people is definitly a perk to me, granted, it is a better perk when they pay...
Oh, BTW, was sooo on the verge of deep doo doo only a couple of months ago.

Gremlin
1st September 2008, 04:22
?? I'm busier than ever. Had to tighten up the credit though as businesses taking a LOT longer to pay their bills.
yeh, got to keep an eye on that. All nice trusting them, but sometimes you have to send reminders, and make 'em jump ;)

As a result, I don't even chase work, it comes to me.

I don't ride my bike much at the moment, I sit here at the computer all weekend, churning out a never-ending stream of large invoices. Sigh.
We've tried to stop taking on clients, too many and you can't service them properly. Don't even remind me about invoicing... got ours in the next few days :(

You needed to order items months ahead of time, because the letter you posted to your supplier took time to arrive and the goods were shipped to you.
NZ has completely forgotten how to plan ahead. The "overnight delivery" from anywhere on the planet, has killed off this skill.
No no, you have it all wrong, its a new term, called JIT :eek: Allows you to buy when needed, and not hold old stock (in IT it is relevant), but stops working so well, when the suppliers don't have stock (damn their JIT tactics) :weird:

DB: If you are getting screwed from both sides, not knowing the business, its unusual. We have good relationships with our chosen suppliers, and they know they have to compete with other similar suppliers, we don't even place pressure on them.

Customers, well, they always want everything for nothing, and thats not a new thing. It depends whether or not your customers are recurring, but it becomes more about the basic principals of customer service and relationship building, with the long term goal of them trusting you to take care of them.

CookMySock
1st September 2008, 06:54
A struggling family man that expects great service, and value for his limited budget is no less a client than a rich client who can throw thousands over a counter. (in alot of cases, the rich man is more of a time burner, as they can expect you be at their beck n call for some reason), maybe that is where the class structure is emerging??It is their attitude that gets you to jump. If they look the part and they tell you to jump, you will jump. Try it yourself - its fun. Dress smartly, and tell people to do what you want - and don't flinch or chicken out. Watch them jump - yes sir! You don't even need to be rough on them to get your way, just tell them to do it like you "know they will do it."

DB

tri boy
1st September 2008, 07:40
Clothes don't make me impressed. Within a few minutes talking to somebody, I will decide if I need to go that extra mile. I once meet the owner of Krupp Engineering. (a huge German machinery conglomerate), he was a quietly spoken, gentle man, that could get a special flight arranged for a Russian Star Lifter plane just for a slew ring for one of his O+K face shovels to be picked up from his Frankfurt warehouse, and flown into Brisbane within two days.
Now that is power, but he never bossed or bullied a single person. Mucho Respecto.:Punk:

karla
1st September 2008, 08:22
I like the title of the thread - ALMOST a miracle worker. If I leave the miracles up to others, and get on with doing the work that needs to be done, it saves me a world of wasted energy trying to change things I have no control over.

I've been waiting for the 'tighten your belt' time for a while. I'm looking forward, in a way, to getting back to basics, when business was done between gentlemen and your word had to, and did, mean something.

My fathers business survived many economy downturns. He planted his tree, nurtured it through the winters and is still there today, growing slowly. Put down roots, tough it out, and you gain credibility that is worth more than any advertising.

I think many of the businesses that didn't make it through this winter, or won't make it through the next, got burned when the interest rates went up. Being in debt right now will be the quickest way to finding yourself back on the assembly line. Keep food in the pantry ~

CookMySock
1st September 2008, 08:43
I'm looking forward, in a way, to getting back to basics, when business was done between gentlemen and your word had to, and did, mean something. I hope this will come to pass, but it has been tough and there is much trust to rebuild. I'll start, but I won't be burned again.

DB

Beemer
1st September 2008, 14:22
Yes, it is sad that so many businesses have gone under lately but the Chronic is one that won't be missed. Hopefully they will get rid of a few of the deadbeats who currently work there and replace them with people who can spell and don't write crap.

I also live in the Horowhenua and I run a successful business from home - I only employ myself, but I earn a good income and my running costs are minimal. My neighbour also runs a successful business, although his is huge (Swazi Apparel), so it can be done.

The best thing is, working from home also allows me to save money in unexpected ways - by baking, cooking most of our meals from scratch, and drying clothes on the line. See, girls can do anything!

Gremlin
1st September 2008, 14:39
I also live in the Horowhenua and I run a successful business from home - I only employ myself, but I earn a good income and my running costs are minimal.
I think this is going to become more and more frequent. Small businesses offering niche services with a small customer base. Allows them to keep costs down, and with all the red tape etc, employing the first extra employees can be off-putting

middleaged2wheeler
1st September 2008, 15:24
the Chronicile as not so much will it be missed,but had 6 day coverage like any other full time newspapaer--- so you want to place an urgent advert in for next day for" boil the drinking "water or some other important issue--now you have to wait 4 days as it is only a giveaway.
I was thinking of an "INBOX NEWS " subscription fed online newspaper--as an opportunity--easy home business--but hey i,m almost sixty now and don,t have full on drive i used to have 20 years ago----trimming trees is only a distant memory--still an opportutnity in my mind neverthe less--Trade ME started in some garage and sold out for the biggest bikkie ever in recent times--stil honeing my compuer skills and knowledge. NICHE marketing sounds more liveable than the VICE like clamp some have to work under as self employed. After all ,these are the days of our lives--sounds korny i know but how you spend them and wear yourself out, is important and when younger you think your energy and stamina is endless but hit 55 and its different .I known people work full on until 67 quit and be dead with 18 months--hey hey got to get some pleasure out of life.

middleaged2wheeler
1st September 2008, 15:27
P.S --i don,t know how to "clip the quote" when replying to certain sentences---is that just a copy and paste system--cheers.

mstriumph
1st September 2008, 15:28
So when do we get together and bring back the guillotine?

where can i send my tender for the sharpening contract please? :innocent:

Gremlin
1st September 2008, 15:31
P.S --i don,t know how to "clip the quote" when replying to certain sentences---is that just a copy and paste system--cheers.
Use the quote button, delete sentences you don't want, but leave anything with square brackets [] and stuff inside them.

middleaged2wheeler
1st September 2008, 16:16
Yes, it is sad that so many businesses have gone under lately but the Chronic is one that won't be missed. Hopefully they will get rid of a few of the deadbeats who currently work there and replace them with people who can spell and don't write crap.

the Chronicile as not so much will it be missed,but had 6 day coverage like any other full time newspapaer--- so you want to place an urgent advert in for next day for" boil the drinking "water or some other important issue--now you have to wait 4 days as it is only a giveaway.
I was thinking of an "INBOX NEWS " subscription fed online newspaper--as an opportunity--easy home business--but hey i,m almost sixty now and don,t have full on drive i used to have 20 years ago----trimming trees is only a distant memory--still an opportutnity in my mind neverthe less--Trade ME started in some garage and sold out for the biggest bikkie ever in recent times--stil honeing my compuer skills and knowledge. NICHE marketing sounds more liveable than the VICE like clamp some have to work under as self employed. After all ,these are the days of our lives--sounds korny i know but how you spend them and wear yourself out, is important and when younger you think your energy and stamina is endless but hit 55 and its different .I known people work full on until 67 quit and be dead with 18 months--hey hey got to get some pleasure out of life.
Today 14:39

Just trying out my QUOTE SKILLS

Rhubarb
1st September 2008, 16:38
I run a small business (14 staff). I would be busier if I could get more staff. Trades people are being attracted to Oz to earn big money in the mines that I could never match. If I was in their position I would go to!
Compliance costs, ACC, Insurance etc etc make it hard for me to pay the staff what they are really worth. I would love to pay them more but the market sets the sell price and thereby the profit margin. I have increased my staffs wages by just over 30% in the last four years at the expense of company profits but without the staff where would I be.
When the weekend comes around I ride my bike and forget about the world until 8am Monday.
Is Kiwibiker the right place for an economic rant???

scracha
1st September 2008, 17:47

Of course. It's the best place in New Zealand for a rant of any kind.

On a different tangent.....the builders and construction companies are easily the worst at paying on time, closely followed by estate agents. Must be why so many are going under...they're not paying each other.

Robert Taylor
1st September 2008, 18:05
I run a small business (14 staff). I would be busier if I could get more staff. Trades people are being attracted to Oz to earn big money in the mines that I could never match. If I was in their position I would go to!
Compliance costs, ACC, Insurance etc etc make it hard for me to pay the staff what they are really worth. I would love to pay them more but the market sets the sell price and thereby the profit margin. I have increased my staffs wages by just over 30% in the last four years at the expense of company profits but without the staff where would I be.
When the weekend comes around I ride my bike and forget about the world until 8am Monday.

Maybe its not the right place for a rant but I do notice that those who think running a small business is a license to print money have been less voiciferous of late. I agree with everything that you say, certainly everything is out of balance, the multinationals and the socialists are equally to blame.

Coyote
1st September 2008, 18:05
where can i send my tender for the sharpening contract please? :innocent:
Don't know about that. House of Knives are meant to be sponsoring the revolution against capitalism.

Boob Johnson
1st September 2008, 18:44
With the average person,s spending power being sucked up with general cost of living, to run a profitable successful business, seems you either have to be a near miracle worker,or have some locked tight Government contract.
I live in the Horowhenua area, and in recent times, LONG STANDING businessess have folded the last of which was our daily newspaper yesterday. The list of GONE bussinessess would be impressive, if some one was trying to achieve that statistic--but is in reality -terrible.
Feltex, Phil Turnbul, Levin Chronicle, local textile place, to name a few.
Unless the average person has spending power, above and beyond, weekly living costs,how can business survive---and who would be game enough to start one up.
Welcome to normal business conditions.

It ain't that bad, well maybe for some but that's never going to change

alanzs
1st September 2008, 20:34
--sounds korny i know but how you spend them and wear yourself out, is important and when younger you think your energy and stamina is endless but hit 55 and its different .I known people work full on until 67 quit and be dead with 18 months--hey hey got to get some pleasure out of life.

Ain't korny at all, it's true. I'm just hitting 50. I knew a couple of guys over the years, died alone in a hotel room of heart attacks in their early-mid 50's. The sales meeting went on the next day, like nothing happened. No mention, nothing, didn't want the salespeople to get "unmotivated." Unmotivated so that they'd realize that life is short and the pressure will kill you.

You only live once and chasing the buck has its place. They don't put "He was a hard worker and always made his sales goals" on your tombstone.
:niceone:

cowpoos
28th September 2008, 20:27
The corporate world got the blank cheque with Roger Douglas labour Govt way bac in 84 and successive PRIVATISATIONS especially electricity grid, telecom, Gst increases, Employment contracts act ,have squashed the work force,at least those dependant on some sort of production or throughput, as they have to compete with overseas labour standards,UNLESS your in the civil servant realm, who seem to able able to muscle up decent wages.
So PRODUCTION WORKERS ARE COMPETING WITH their counterparts in ASIA and god knows where else. AND THE QUAINT GLOBAL VILLAGE concept is really only a way of putting the boot into our workforce. OUR daily lives are vastly different from a worker in Thailand, Samoa or China and yet NZ workforce has to compete with them--Global village warm fussies is a con.

What a fucking crock of bullshit...you obviously no little of the reasons and necessities of Roger-nomics [as it was so-called]...as it was the result of a very very poorly run economic policy...very very poorly!! thanks to Mr Muldon,et al...our country was in sooo much dcebt...we needed to pay some money back or we were far more in the shit than most people realise!! how peoples memories fail!! Roger Douglas saved out country economically!! without his and the lange goverments forsight on that we would be fucked!! [did I mention Im not a labour govt supporter]...I am constantly dismayed at how stupid...and I mean really fucking stupid people are when they whing about the massive reforms!! its like having too much debt with Hire purchases and not affording the payments...not to mention most of those supposed assets were costing us money rather than making it!!

Now away from that and back to the main subject...the saying you reap what you sow!! is as true in a down turn as in a up turn...if your bussiness is doing shit...it is YOUR FAULT!! no excuses...be proactive...get off your arse sort the thing out or walk away! Don't whinge about companys with Govt contracts etc...they're not lucky...they are just better than your bussiness for getting them!

self pity...whinging and bitching at others ain't going to get you to move forward..seeing what others do...and asking your self how did they?? what makes them?? work out how others do what they do that are better than you...don't knock them coz they don't care at all! the only time they will care is when your the one winning the good contracts,deals,quotes,tenders,etc!!

If whinging made money....New Zealand would be a country full of billionares!

kickingzebra
28th September 2008, 21:22
shot aow, what he said, the fish stinks from the head down.

Pussy
28th September 2008, 21:26
What a fucking crock of bullshit...you obviously no little of the reasons and necessities of Roger-nomics [as it was so-called]...as it was the result of a very very poorly run economic policy...very very poorly!! thanks to Mr Muldon,et al...our country was in sooo much dcebt...we needed to pay some money back or we were far more in the shit than most people realise!! how peoples memories fail!! Roger Douglas saved out country economically!! without his and the lange goverments forsight on that we would be fucked!! [did I mention Im not a labour govt supporter]...I am constantly dismayed at how stupid...and I mean really fucking stupid people are when they whing about the massive reforms!! its like having too much debt with Hire purchases and not affording the payments...not to mention most of those supposed assets were costing us money rather than making it!!

Now away from that and back to the main subject...the saying you reap what you sow!! is as true in a down turn as in a up turn...if your bussiness is doing shit...it is YOUR FAULT!! no excuses...be proactive...get off your arse sort the thing out or walk away! Don't whinge about companys with Govt contracts etc...they're not lucky...they are just better than your bussiness for getting them!

self pity...whinging and bitching at others ain't going to get you to move forward..seeing what others do...and asking your self how did they?? what makes them?? work out how others do what they do that are better than you...don't knock them coz they don't care at all! the only time they will care is when your the one winning the good contracts,deals,quotes,tenders,etc!!

If whinging made money....New Zealand would be a country full of billionares!

Well said, Poos... you only pull a rabbit out of a hat if you've put one in there first!