PDA

View Full Version : Six hours on an 08 Superduke R

JeremyW
31st August 2008, 15:14
Well unless you are into masochism the thought of 6 hours on a Superduke R does not appeal. For me the chance to ride this beast overcame any misgivings I had about the discomfort.

The ride we planned snaked up SH16 to Wellsford, then onto Whangarei via SH1for brunch, SH12 across to Dargaville then back down to Brynderwyn, Wellsford again and SH16 home. The day started out well with a light breeze, clouds but strong sunlight poking through; this unfortuantely was as good as it was going to get, by the time we arrived in Dargaville the weather had deteriorated to overcast with a light drizzle which accompanied us home.

So...the Superduke...well it may shock most but I had an enthralling and comfortable ride. Looking at the seat on the R it looks merely like an extension of the plastic fairings, but KTM have done an impressive job of tuning the ergonomics in such a way that the weight on the seat is minimised and moving forward and back slightly quite significantly changes where your bum rests; enough to give the sore part a rest. Riding...well there are road reviews all over the world which sing the praises of the Superduke and I would have to agree with them. It is surprisingly easy to ride slowly very well behaved and docile at low RPM, it is also very good at running along at a consistent speed. Power? Lots, heaps of bottom end as you would expect with a nice top end rush, depending on the map you use (with the power commander). Intimidating? Not at all, shock horror.

SH16 type roads are where the Duke excels, at slower speed, although easy to ride, the Duke feels a little twitchy and overly sensitive; however pick up the pace and it really comes into its own. Quick steering, good control with the wide bars, smooth low end power delivery and stops on its nose.

Sound? Well that is something else...those of you who have heard one of these machines will know of what I speak. You consistent speed difficult because all you want to do it hear the exhaust roar! Best sound from a V-twin, hands down.

Overall the 2008 Superduke R is an amazing bike, well worth the dollars, flattering to ride and will happily embarrass many of the bikes on the road.

fjones
3rd September 2008, 08:54
That's an awesome bike. Then again I may be biased...

NZsarge
3rd September 2008, 10:08
Have'nt ridden an "R" only the cooking model but it was entertaining to ride.