PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best bit of MC gear you own?

TonyB
21st January 2005, 12:33
I searched for a thread on ‘the best bit of biking kit you own’, but came up with nothing. So I thought I’d start one, my reasons being entirely selfish of course… I want to get some tips.

So what is the best motorcycling accessory you own and why?

I’ll start it off by saying that my favourite bit of gear would be the Camelback I bought recently, and the heated grips (I’m expecting some ridicule over this- fire away).

With the heated grips I can ride in any weather with liner-less gloves, so I can always feel what my hands are doing. Sure my fingers still get cold from touching the brake/ clutch levers when it’s very cold, but I find I can’t feel what’s happening when I wear heavy gloves. Tried a track day once with leather/ thinsulate gloves and couldn’t tell if the throttle was fully off when braking- kept having some power on when trying to stop, so they went in the bin. And if it’s VERY cold, you can just turn them onto ‘start’- 25 watts of heating to each hand soon gets ones mitts nice and toasty! Well worth the money. If you think I’m a pussy, whatever :msn-wink: …cold hands don’t work as well as warm ones.

The Camelback (a back pack with a bladder and a flexible drinking straw) has worked out far better than I ever could have hoped. I always get dehydrated on warm days- even if only riding for an hour or so. A few weeks back I was so bad after a quick ride to the Hill Top and back that I decided to give the Camelback a go. Tried it for the first time when doing the Arthurs/ Haast loop with a mate. The difference was incredible. I felt like I could ride all day without getting tired, my friend on a much comfier bike was knackered. Plus I didn’t get sore, even though it had been 2 months since my last ride. Normally I’d wake up the next morning and be sore but it didn’t happen this time, so I can only put it down to being properly hydrated. The pack (‘Siren’) is so small and light you don’t know it’s there, the hose is quite heavy, so doesn’t flap in the breeze at all- and it got very breezy a couple of times :devil2: - and the pack doesn’t flap about or move either, even when riding in the affore mentioned strong breeze sitting up or flat on the tank. Didn’t need to make any mods to the helmet, the nozzle just sits next to my gob until I’m ready for another sip (that takes a while to get used to). The only drawback is that all those little sips add up, and you tend to need to stop for a leak more often… :blink:

Sniper
21st January 2005, 12:36
Thermal pants. Oh and my helmet, Jacket, gloves, boots, pant, yep stuff like that

vifferman
21st January 2005, 12:36
The VifFerraRi. :yes: :2thumbsup

TonyB
21st January 2005, 12:42
:eyepoke: :bleh:

MrMelon
21st January 2005, 12:43
My tinted visor and progrip anti-fog insert. Mainly the anti-fog insert though :D

Coyote
21st January 2005, 12:44
My leathers. Otherwise, I wouldn't have my arse

Paul in NZ
21st January 2005, 12:49
My inflatable cod piece

loosebruce
21st January 2005, 12:50

I second that, only i'd have a lot more missing than just my arse, my girlfriend is jealous coa i cuddle into them at night rather than her.

Leathers :love2:

TonyB
21st January 2005, 12:51
And then where would you sit?

Fryin Finn
21st January 2005, 12:51
My Helmet cam - already got 4 crashes on video (all off road)

You can't beat a memory - but you can record it

Coyote
21st January 2005, 12:55
And then where would you sit?
On my Head

Like, Duh

toads
21st January 2005, 12:57
My inflatable cod piece

Wow, where did ya get it, I want one!!

BM-GS
21st January 2005, 13:02
A close fight between the top 3:

Heated grips
I'll never own a bike without them again. 100,000km in the UK, year round, in summer gloves. Even useful in AKL in the cooler months. Concentration & feel are good...

Arai Quantum f helmet
A lid that fits, everywhere. My forehead head doesn't get that annoying out-of-round-peg-in-round-hole stabbing pain after an hour on the bike.

Custom-made leathers
Getting a little tight now (reversible, fortunately seeing what they cost), but no draughts and much confidence that they'll keep me together in major off. Also reduced a low-speed spill from gravel-rash & bruises to just needing dusting-off.

4th place: a bike you like riding! Essential, or else the rest is a waste of time...

Skunk
21st January 2005, 13:04
Wow, where did ya get it, I want one!!Mine's built in :lol:

F5 Dave
21st January 2005, 13:28
Boy where to start?

OK as mentioned, leathers, Arai, Heated grips are good but the MX hand-shields on my touring bike are ugly but keep your hands dry as well.

Kushitani gloves. Body armour inc back protector. Tube scarf. Icebreaker top.

Tankbag.

Small digital watch on dashboard. Small sticker reminding me of fuel range (forget between bikes).

The remote electric reserve switch on my YZF –that is cool!

OK Tools:

Compressor, rattle gun. T bars. Dirty great big long universal bar for sockets.

Dremel.

Safety wire spinner.

James Deuce
21st January 2005, 13:32
My Brain.

Hurts

Hitcher
21st January 2005, 13:40
My helmet. Bless you Mr Shoei, for without you I couldn't ride bikes! I fart in the general direction of other manufacturers who wouldn't appreciate a "fuller head" if they fell over one.

My tankbag. The motorcycling equivalent of a handbag. Great for stowing all of those bits and bobs you need.

My selection of gloves: Tecknics powerskin for winter; Dririder Drimesh for summer. And others for those "in-between" moments...

My boots. Daytona Gore-Tex. A bit scuffed after 65,000km but still doing the business.

Pledge. Can of. Great for cleaning visors, helmets, screens, mirrors, lights, even the whole bike if you're keen.

Earplugs. The best thing you can have if you want to put in big distances and not hear the surf pounding in your head for hours afterwards.

TonyB
21st January 2005, 13:44
OK as mentioned, leathers, Arai, Heated grips are good but the MX hand-shields on my touring bike are ugly but keep your hands dry as well.
I wonder why none of the bike maufacturers have tried putting hand-sheilds on their bikes. It must be possible to make them so they look good. Wet hands are a bitch.

Which reminds me on one of my less-than-good buys: my Technics 'water proof' gloves. What a joke! They're almost new and they leak everywhere. Just as well I've got heated grips!
I used to think my Technics jacket was shit hot (warm and dry) but now it leaks at the shoulders and zip. I know you're supposed to look after them and put water repellent on the outside, but should you really have to? The waterproof membrane is supposed to be under the outer fabric, so it shouldn't matter if the outside is repellent or not. If putting water repellent on the outside is so critical, then isn't it just a cordura jacket with water repellent? Hardly worth 100's of $. Then there's the issues you find at track days- you still need leather, so why not just buy leathers and an oversuit? :argh: The only thing that makes the synthetic jacket so warm is the thinsulate (or copy) zip out liner- why not just put them in leathers? Sorry- rant over!

Yokai
21st January 2005, 14:00
combination Alpine earplugs and iPod... When I get the remote it's gonna be superb.... No wind noise - music for when I want it ... GREAT!
:2thumbsup

F5 Dave
21st January 2005, 14:00
Can’t explain the inability of synthetics not to be waterproof. If they were the all purpose touring kit then I may consider them but I still see the trou as a weakspot protection wise.

I keep the wet oversuit in the Tankbag I so fondly mentioned above.

One thing I believe with cordura is if you don’t wash them they are more likely leak as the water tracks through. Well so I’m told. Basically I don’t trust anything that is not PVC for waterproofness.

Waterproof gloves & boots. One word. Unicorn.

Earplugs. Goes without mentioning. Well only 'cause I wasn't clever enough to mention it first. Well done Hitman.

FROSTY
21st January 2005, 14:19
All my gear I'd rate highly. My most recent -Thank God i was wearing that would have to be my spine protector -I can say with a high degree of probability I would be in hospital now if I wasnt wearing it on new years.
My bike gear is far from the best or most expensve -but every item proved its worth on new years.

TonyB
21st January 2005, 14:21
combination Alpine earplugs and iPod... When I get the remote it's gonna be superb.... No wind noise - music for when I want it ... GREAT!
:2thumbsup
So these are earplugs and speakers? Sounds cool. Who sells them? (needs to be more specific than "A shop"). Definitely agree that earplugs are a must. Lost some of my hearing in my early days of riding before I thought to use them. I have a mate who never wears them- reckons he doesn't get much noise- but then he nearly always answers anything you say with "Whaaa..."

Actually, my cheap Prexport boots have never leaked.

Paul in NZ
21st January 2005, 14:26
My Brain.

Hurts

Yes.. It's causing us pain too.....

Paul N

Paul in NZ
21st January 2005, 14:27
Actually, my cheap Prexport boots have never leaked.

Same here - 50,000km and 5 years in all weather. Shit hot things!

Paul N

Slim
21st January 2005, 14:30
Oxford Sports magnetic Tankbag - awesome bit of kit (but not much use to me if I get the Triumph since it doesn't have a metallic tank D'oh!)

Sony In-Ear earphones + Minidisk :2thumbsup

Icebreaker merino thermal stuff - absolutely awesome. Pricey, but awesome. 2 winters & counting and no sign of them wearing out so far.

Paul in NZ
21st January 2005, 14:35
Can’t explain the inability of synthetics not to be waterproof. If they were the all purpose touring kit then I may consider them but I still see the trou as a weakspot protection wise.

I keep the wet oversuit in the Tankbag I so fondly mentioned above.

One thing I believe with cordura is if you don’t wash them they are more likely leak as the water tracks through. Well so I’m told. Basically I don’t trust anything that is not PVC for waterproofness.

Earplugs. Goes without mentioning. Well only 'cause I wasn't clever enough to mention it first. Well done Hitman.

I'm not going into it in detail 'cos we did that some place else.

Yes, you should wash waterproof synthetics to keep them clean as the dirt wicks the water through the weave. BUT don't use ordinary washing powder as it is mostly bulking agents (phosporous or something dangerous) which sticks in the weave and acts the same way. Use a 'sports wash' availiable from ant outdoor store.

Some jackets need a bit of time in a tumble drier to restore the thread as well.

The membrane on the jackets that have them will eventually wear out (the neglect to tell you this when you purchase it) but the more modern ones last longer. Again, treat them well and they last longer.

My Spidi is still mostly waterproof and only 1 westcoast deluge defeated it.

I bought a cheap pair of waterproof 'thunder gloves' from Motorad as my old ones were getting past it. Guess what. They ARE waterproof!

If you have a waterproof jacket with a membrane DON'T tuck it into your gloves. The water runs down your sleeve and fills your gloves. D'oh!

Paul N

Motu
21st January 2005, 14:39
I'm happy with most of my gear,really enjoying my latest bit of stuff,the Fly MX helmet - closest thing I've had to no helmet for years,I just feel so freeee after the ''cosy'' street helmet.I really like my Camelback too,I can keep hydrated on the move,still have to stop for a leak,but on the roads I ride there are so many places I want to stop it's not really a drag.

F5 Dave
21st January 2005, 14:47
Re tankbags:
Yeah who was the dildo who designed touring bikes with ally & or plastic tanks? Stand up BMW, CBR1000s, GTS1000 etc.

bear
21st January 2005, 14:51
Folks seem to dig my 1997 Isle Of Man neck scarf, nice and warm too
(Yah, 200th post, always wondered what I'd have to do to become a hardcore biker)

Kendog
21st January 2005, 15:54
Helmet for sure.

ResidentAngel
21st January 2005, 15:59
Nolan fliptop Helmet. Nothing like it in the wet weather in the traffic!

Holy Roller
21st January 2005, 16:02
My polar fleece neck warmer
It dosen't wick water inside my jacket like the oxford one does used it on two Cold Kiwi's now with an open face. The rain just sits on the fleece. Brought a new fang dangled oxford chill out neck warmer great in the dry but in the wet the water just runs down the material and pools on :angry2: the top of my fat gut. Not a nice feeling.

Waylander
21st January 2005, 16:07
my panasonic mp3 player with noise canceling headphones installed into my helmet, gotta love da silence they give so i dont have to havre the volume at full blast :2thumbsup now i just need to get a mic installed for the CB radio

Yokai
21st January 2005, 16:53
So these are earplugs and speakers? Sounds cool. Who sells them?

Nah - Alpine earplugs from Challenger Motors
iPod from Apple
Headphones from Sony, shredded and stuck in:
Helmet from Zeus

:msn-wink:

Paul in NZ
21st January 2005, 17:01
Wow, where did ya get it, I want one!!

Sorry. Only 1 issued to every bloke (well OK most blokes).

I see a nice set of curves and it just inflates. Not sure how or even why but it sure is a nice bit of kit!

(ah hem)

Paul N (sorry about this coarse behaviour - normal transmission will be resumed shortly)

NC
21st January 2005, 17:02
Chicken MC nuggets

avgas
21st January 2005, 17:03
I wonder why none of the bike maufacturers have tried putting hand-sheilds on their bikes. It must be possible to make them so they look good. Wet hands are a bitch.

Ummmm try prying little bits of plastic and metal out of your hand, after an off at 100ks. But a good set of gloves with decent snow seal etc keeps my hands nice an dry

Blakamin
21st January 2005, 17:48
1. Ducati
2. Helmet
3. Gloves
4. Jacket

Wont even go to the shops without those things!!!! (on the bike that is...actually thats the only time I go to shops... on the bike!)

5. Boots (after seeing Frostys)
6. Pants

James Deuce
21st January 2005, 18:00
Ummmm try prying little bits of plastic and metal out of your hand, after an off at 100ks. But a good set of gloves with decent snow seal etc keeps my hands nice an dry

So you STAY with your bike on the way down???

I get as far away from the thing as I can. I reckon a good set of "barkbusters" is a great idea. They wouldn't be that hard to engineer and style, they'd only have to be a couple of inches wide to avoid most of the rain.

onearmedbandit
21st January 2005, 21:47
I went all out when I bought my new gear, Sidi Race Vert boots, Alpinestar 2 pce GPU II suit, Alpstar GP Plus gloves and Arai helmet. All up replacement value of just over $4k but worth every cent for comfort, protection, and yeah definately style.

gav
21st January 2005, 22:33
My Mick Doohan replica Alpinestar boots, and my Max Biaggi replica Dainese gloves, OMG what a friggen poser :yeah:

TonyB
22nd January 2005, 07:00

I get as far away from the thing as I can. I reckon a good set of "barkbusters" is a great idea. They wouldn't be that hard to engineer and style, they'd only have to be a couple of inches wide to avoid most of the rain.
Got to agree with you there. And I reckon they could be made to look good. Fallen off twice- both low sides, both times I had let go and was seperated from the bike before it hit the ground (got mowed down once- that was more of a 'forced ejection' :laugh: )

Forgot to add sunlight liquid- smear a small drop on inside of visor to stop it fogging. I had a fog city, but it was too easily scratched, plus it caused ghosting with car headlights.

inlinefour
22nd January 2005, 13:26
Scored it during winter for $340 after the lady at the MC shop stuffed up the quote as it was supposed to be half price on promotion. Now I see the same jackets for sale now at around the $800 mark. :2thumbsup

Zapf
22nd January 2005, 16:44
http://www.onlineparts.com/images/catalog/blowups/315-863-71.jpg

I just got this suit in black and silver since friday and have been out for 1 ride today. Now I know why its like a monkey suit...

But its great, very nice soft leather. Fits well and fits even better in riding position. I also find that I feel closer to the bike than wearing textiles.

The other good point is also I can now side to either side of the bike to position for cornering, where as previously condura's don't slide that well over the tank.

Rainbow Wizard
22nd January 2005, 16:52
Re tankbags:
Yeah who was the dildo who designed touring bikes with ally & or plastic tanks? Stand up BMW, CBR1000s, GTS1000 etc.

Dunno Dave, but I figure he came after the sexaider that designed bungies. :laugh:

Rainbow Wizard
22nd January 2005, 16:58

And it's easily formable with the correct application of the heatgun. Marketing opportunity here if the "woos" label can be successfully countered.