PDA

View Full Version : My apologies....

Victoria
31st August 2008, 22:41
if this has been done to death, but.... I put my bike down today :doh:( kind of annoyed, but also kind of pleased it's done now and out of the way...) and have put some scuffs and light scratches on the faring. Any ideas? I've given then a light cut and polish and buff, have lessened the appearance but would like to keep trying. Is there anything I should avoid? Again, sorry if you've ll seen this thread time and again....:stupid:

Subike
31st August 2008, 22:47
Hey , be happy, you are ok. thats the important thing to look at.

So the bikes got some scratches, bit of dirt in the wrong place, and your feeling sorry for it.
Be happy girl, the bike can be replaced, you cant, and your ok. thats GOOD!
As for the cosmetic damage, Im sure it will not take long to get it looking good again .

Gremlin
1st September 2008, 04:55
If you are a relatively newbie, I hate to say this, but leave it. Odds are, you'll scratch it again (most newbies scratch their bikes, I scratched mine twice in three days :pinch:)

RiderInBlack
1st September 2008, 06:00
If you are a relatively newbie, I hate to say this, but leave it. Odds are, you'll scratch it again (most newbies scratch their bikes, I scratched mine twice in three days :pinch:)Yer us oldies tend ta do more damage than that, LOL. My bike is still in the shop for $6000 worth of repairs from a slow speed drop :doh:and DMNTD managed ta right his off. So don't let them give ya a too hard a time about being a newbie as even us "Experienced" riders will cock-up now and again.

NighthawkNZ
1st September 2008, 06:59
if this has been done to death, but.... I put my bike down today :doh:( kind of annoyed, but also kind of pleased it's done now and out of the way...) and have put some scuffs and light scratches on the faring. Any ideas? I've given then a light cut and polish and buff, have lessened the appearance but would like to keep trying. Is there anything I should avoid? Again, sorry if you've ll seen this thread time and again....:stupid:

wouldn't worry about it... it happens, from drops to stone chips... and they they are more annoying and least you know where the scratches came from.

sinfull
1st September 2008, 07:06

It's the mid air syndrome that got ya aye ?
Was only A few months ago i was trying to explain that to Heidi but in the end gave up and said you have to experience it to know !
She found hers at the servo when someone trotted accross in front of her and she stopped on one of them filler caps which are raised slightly !
She don't even notice the couple of scratches that she put on the bike now and noone really saw them anyway till she pointed them out !
You'll be right just stop washing it for a while lol !~

CookMySock
1st September 2008, 07:57
oops! Be careful using cutting compound with a cloth on your bike, it will scratch it even more. Just clean it and wax it using Turtlewax Ice this covers scratches really well.

Its a tough feeling wanting to turn back time isn't it.

Steve

James Deuce
1st September 2008, 08:01
Bugger!

Best thing to do about reparing your bike is to contact crazefox (Corey) and get him to have a look. You'd be amazed at what he can do for the price of a couple of bottles of Turtlewax Ice.

McJim
1st September 2008, 08:06
Bugger!

Best thing to do about reparing your bike is to contact crazefox (Corey) and get him to have a look. You'd be amazed at what he can do for the price of a couple of bottles of Turtlewax Ice.
Sweet - d'you reckon he could buff this out?
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=80933

And Victoria - just mutter this mantra when you're feeling down about it - it's only plastic and metal, it's only plastic and metal.

It's not actually inevitable that you will at some stage drop your bike but it's a high liklihood.

Good on ya for 'fessin' up.

Victoria
1st September 2008, 08:39
Fanks fellas, might just leave them there till its time for her to go to the next newbie before I get em fixed, got my Restricted test in 10 days, so in another 6 months time a Black (never been dropped....:(haha) Kwaka Ninja 250r will be for sale...one carefull (:rolleyes:haha) lady owner... Anyone interested let me know!

CookMySock
1st September 2008, 08:55
suggestion: (and I hesitate at posting this) A scratched bike isn't good for your riding career. It leaves you thinking "its ok" when maybe for you it isn't. It's a personal thing - rhetorical question - is it really ok to drop it and scratch it ? If so, then leave it - no one is criticising or judging. If for you its really not ok, and you are not happy with it, then get it fixed soon and stand and look at it and choose your pathway forward - to drop, or not to drop? and then move on in that direction.

Despite what many people will tell you, you can choose this. Tough love, sorry.

DB

James Deuce
1st September 2008, 10:13
DB makes an interesting point. I've been known to get fairings repaired and repainted after grounding them at the track without falling off.

Yes I know it's wanky. But I don't like riding around on even a dirty bike, let alone a scratched one.

bert_is_evil
5th September 2008, 17:09
Just leave it until you do some decent damage then claim insurance on the lot. Yeah it's nice to have a perfect bike but the most important thing is riding it and like others have said you're bound to drop it again at some stage.

MIXONE
5th September 2008, 17:15
Leave it.Nothing wrong with a bit of street cred imho.

avgas
5th September 2008, 17:26
this is why we cant have nice things!!!

Number One
5th September 2008, 17:34
You'll be surprised too how much a little bit of nail polish can come in handy.

I started out on one of those heinous Black purple and bright orange RG150s...had a bottle of cheap nail varnish for each of those colours...bit of smoothing and a wee manicure and the bike was kept looking it's pukey best :niceone:

Hitcher
5th September 2008, 18:43
if this has been done to death, but.... I put my bike down today

It's called euthanasia. Grieve for a couple of days, then go and buy a new one.

old git
5th September 2008, 21:34
OOPS.!!!!
Hey we have all done it, but i promise you will have learned a bit from it.

sexychevette
9th September 2008, 21:51
matt black.