PDA

View Full Version : I need a word

marty
1st September 2008, 09:57
I am looking for a word/group of words that means 'giving average marks' - in the context of scoring someone - say out of 5 (1 being shit, 3 average, 5 outstanding), and the marker makes no effort to mark anything other than 3, even if it is deserved, as it simply requires too much effort to justify.

MSTRS
1st September 2008, 10:15
You want to complain to this marker, or to someone else about him/her?

Colapop
1st September 2008, 10:17
Ambivalen. I'd explain it but I don't feel stongly either enough way enough to.

MSTRS
1st September 2008, 10:18
Ambivalen. I'd explain it but I don't feel stongly either enough way enough to.

...or to complete the word...
ambivalent

Colapop
1st September 2008, 10:22
If I felt that strongly about it, I would have finished it...:stupid:

James Deuce
1st September 2008, 10:33
Undistinguished

MisterD
1st September 2008, 10:39
Lazy would seem to cover it.

Big Dave
1st September 2008, 10:42
Blasé

----------

Winston001
1st September 2008, 10:51
My pick would be "dilatory (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/dilatory)".

You could also use remiss, indolent, otiose, and unconcerned.

MSTRS
1st September 2008, 10:54
This marker is likely to be an advocate of participating, rather than competing, in sport.
Insipid.

Swoop
1st September 2008, 11:21
and the marker makes no effort to mark anything other than 3, even if it is deserved, as it simply requires too much effort to justify.
Skills of the marker: Inept?

Surely there is a moderation process in place, that alerts others to this bad practice?

NZQA would be interested...

slowpoke
1st September 2008, 11:50
Mate, i know all about being mediocre.....

disenfranchised
1st September 2008, 11:53
The word you're after is lackadaisical

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lackadaisical

marty
1st September 2008, 11:55
it is all of those above (esp. lazy) but there is also a reluctance to justify poor marks - the 'tester' doesn't have the skills to speak to the 'testee' about their performance. i am sure i have heard a name given to this practice. it is a classic indicator in employment court issues when a boss has constantly middle-marked an employee, failing to correct/identify poor performance, then when the employee is fired, the employer wonders why they didn't see it coming.

Skyryder
1st September 2008, 14:11
I am looking for a word/group of words that means 'giving average marks' - in the context of scoring someone - say out of 5 (1 being shit, 3 average, 5 outstanding), and the marker makes no effort to mark anything other than 3, even if it is deserved, as it simply requires too much effort to justify.

There a number of differing contexts where no one word or indeed a group of words will cover the entire meanings of your post so in respect of this I will try and give an alternative that covers “giving average marks.” To ‘dole out’ seems to cover the giving bit as it implies or suggests indifference, which is what your post seems to allude too on the part of the marker. Average is a specific word with a ready meaning. I would use the word ‘ordinary as it goes with to dole out where no thinking was/is required on the part of the marker. The word 'ordinary' in the context described suggests a lack of commitment on the marker that has led to the average mark. It is also a bit derogitory. I think someone mentioned blasé that would certainly give the results you have described.

Hope this has helped.

Skyryder

James Deuce
1st September 2008, 14:12
Intellectually impoverished.

Hitcher
1st September 2008, 14:19
Limp. Or flaccid. Ten chars and all that.

BarBender
1st September 2008, 14:26
I am looking for a word/group of words that means 'giving average marks' - in the context of scoring someone - say out of 5 (1 being shit, 3 average, 5 outstanding),

Fluff it
Should be adequate for effective performance
Some of the major and minor criteria were met; some deficiencies exist
Good
Meets criteria relative to whats required

Fark it
Meets expectations
Meets requirements
Acceptable
Satisfactory
Average
Sufficient

Big Dave
1st September 2008, 15:56
Cunt.

----------

Swoop
2nd September 2008, 09:54
Subjective?

Rather than objective?

Go and ask for the model answers for the questions given.
Also, the student/s should be asking for the assessment criteria that is required of them to be able to pass and/or achieve certain grades (A+, A, A-, B+, etc...).