PDA

View Full Version : The 'Rarotongan License Excursion'

h20boy
1st September 2008, 16:18
I'd really appreciate a private message from anyone who has gone overseas and obtained a motorcycle license, brought it back here and transfered to a NZ license. I'm in a pickle with my new bike and need some advice.

Thanks!

Maha
1st September 2008, 16:20
I'd really appreciate a private message from anyone who has gone overseas and obtained a motorcycle license, brought it back here and transfered to a NZ license. I'm in a pickle with my new bike and need some advice.

Thanks!

Heres a thread you look through

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=78949&highlight=Rarotonga

Heres another.....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=61778&highlight=Rarotonga

portokiwi
1st September 2008, 16:28
With my wife, She just had to sit the thery test for her car. They would not allow her her Cook Island bike licence. lol we tried. I think its who you get at the end of the counter serving you.
good luck.
PS we need more info if you need help.

h20boy
1st September 2008, 16:46
With my wife, She just had to sit the thery test for her car. They would not allow her her Cook Island bike licence. lol we tried. I think its who you get at the end of the counter serving you.
good luck.

Thanks Portokiwi
I was justed declined an exemption from my learners to ride a bike larger than 250cc as my bike isn't on their approved list...problem is, no-one I spoke to before buying the bike or since being declined, knew anything about this list. So here i am with an 11k bike I cannot ride for another 6-9 months.

If anyone has done this successfully I'd really appreciate their input before dishing out another 1000bucks flying over there for this. If you prefer it, please feel free to private message me.

Thanks again.

Tank
1st September 2008, 17:01
Thanks Portokiwi
I was justed declined an exemption from my learners to ride a bike larger than 250cc as my bike isn't on their approved list...problem is, no-one I spoke to before buying the bike or since being declined, knew anything about this list. So here i am with an 11k bike I cannot ride for another 6-9 months.

If anyone has done this successfully I'd really appreciate their input before dishing out another 1000bucks flying over there for this. If you prefer it, please feel free to private message me.

Thanks again.

I hope you have luck with the Raro licence - but try to resist the temptation to ride the new bike without the licence - Having a crash with no insurance cant be a good thing.

CookMySock
1st September 2008, 17:13
I was justed declined an exemption from my learners to ride a bike larger than 250cc as my bike isn't on their approved list.That is very unusual. There will be another reason.

Thanks for reporting back here about being declined. We hear a lot about GDLS exemption applications, but very little about the declined ones.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Worse case, hold onto it and sell it closer to summer - you will get your money out of it better.

Others have suggested to not ride it - that is their suggestion on a public forum - this is my suggestion - Ride it. Totally behave on it - don't attract attention. Forget the insurance. Your call.

Steve

h20boy
1st September 2008, 17:39
That is very unusual. There will be another reason.

It was purely because of the bike choice...believe me I asked...rang back and asked again.
Obviously in the past this wasn't an issue but for people looking for an exemption from here on in...get a copy of the list BEFORE you buy a bike.
I dont have any driving convictions, I've had one speed camera fine for doing 64 in a 50km zone and I'm 6'4 and 130kgs. I pretty much cover all their bases.

It seems they would rather have us riding enduro style bikes and 1970 cruisers.

Tank
1st September 2008, 17:58
. Totally behave on it - don't attract attention. Forget the insurance.

Now there is a fantastic bit of advise for a new rider. Forget insurance on their nice new 11k bike. The only thing dangerous about you is you lack of intelligence.

CookMySock
1st September 2008, 18:06
Now there is a fantastic bit of advise for a new rider. Forget insurance on their nice new 11k bike. The only thing dangerous about you is you lack of intelligence.Its a public forum, retard. You post your opinion, I'll post mine. get bent.

DB

Tank
1st September 2008, 19:08
Its a public forum, retard. You post your opinion, I'll post mine. get bent.

DB

Have you noticed that you change your signature from Steve to DB when your getting pissy?

Anyhow - Regardless of it being your advise or simply a suggestion - its a fucken stupid one (even coming from you). You would be the first to cry if you got hit by a uninsured rider.

Yeah, yeah I know - you would go around and break his legs until he paid because youre a hard, dangerous bastard. Tui!

Gubb
1st September 2008, 19:20
That is very unusual. There will be another reason.
Nope, it's viewed as too much power for a beginner, fair enough call in my opinion. A 650cc Sportbike wouldn't be on my list of approved learner bikes either.

And don't even try to compare it to your Hyosung. Completely different league.

Others have suggested to not ride it - that is their suggestion on a public forum - this is my suggestion - Ride it. Totally behave on it - don't attract attention. Forget the insurance. Your call.
You really are a tool.

In fact, you're the whole fucking tool-shed.

kickingzebra
1st September 2008, 19:43
heh, only someone on a 250 could comment about a parrallel twin 650 having too much power...

h20boy
1st September 2008, 19:46
[QUOTE=Gubb;1712744]Nope, it's viewed as too much power for a beginner, fair enough call in my opinion. A 650cc Sportbike wouldn't be on my list of approved learner bikes either.

And don't even try to compare it to your Hyosung. Completely different league.

QUOTE]

Actually, its exactly the same league. THis is the 2 cylinder, 60 odd horse er6-f not the inline 4. The hyosung gt650r is actually rated with higher horsepower as are several other bikes on the list. And before you say it, those bikes on the list that can be restricted, are not. i.e the Hyosung gt650r. I asked if a power restriction was an option for me and that was a negative too.
The ER6-F is a sports-tourer. If anything, it probably looks too sporty more than anything else that may have caused them to refuse it.

Gubb
1st September 2008, 19:51
heh, only someone on a 250 could comment about a parrallel twin 650 having too much power...

...Isn't that exactly the point?

Going straight to a 650 like that may be an issue for a lot of people (which could be why it's not on the list).

CookMySock
1st September 2008, 20:12
You really are a tool. In fact, you're the whole fucking tool-shed. Its a public fucken forum, retard, and if you dont like lt then piss off somewhere else where everyone only agrees with what you say. I'm entitled to my fucken opinion just like you are entitled to yours. Go jam a 15 inch crescent. and sign your real name, faggot, or are you too weak ?

Steve

kickingzebra
1st September 2008, 20:13
or the fact that beaurocrats, who have never seen the light of day, were the ones to decide what bikes were included on the list,
The ER6 didn't make it because no self respecting girl would drape herself over its tank, as such dribbling glasses and tie wearers were able to completely avoid the fact that it ever existed.

kickingzebra
1st September 2008, 20:15
Its a public fucken forum, retard, and if you dont like lt then piss off somewhere else where everyone only agrees with what you say. I'm entitled to my fucken opinion just like you are entitled to yours. Go jam a 15 inch crescent. and sign your real name, faggot, or are you too weak ?

Steve

Real names are for pussies.

Signed Gingivitis McStink.

CookMySock
1st September 2008, 20:19
Have you noticed that you change your signature from Steve to DB when your getting pissy? Oh fuck! This affects you HOW ? get bent. :yawn:

Anyhow - Regardless of it being your advise or simply a suggestion - its a fucken stupid one (even coming from you). You would be the first to cry if you got hit by a uninsured rider.Geez you're a fucken MINDREADER now ? I'll make any suggestion I see fit - just like you do, and if YOU don't like it you can shove it. Oh, and get to fucken work indexing my posts for me will you ? You're a bit slow at the moment, faggot. :yawn:

Use your proper name too. :yawn:

Steve

h20boy
1st September 2008, 20:27
:gob: I'm guessing you guys are good friends when you meet on rides? :yes:
:calm::calm::calm::calm:

Tank
1st September 2008, 20:30
Oh fuck! This affects you HOW ? get bent. :yawn:

Geez you're a fucken MINDREADER now ? I'll make any suggestion I see fit - just like you do, and if YOU don't like it you can shove it. Oh, and get to fucken work indexing my posts for me will you ? You're a bit slow at the moment, faggot. :yawn:

Use your proper name too. :yawn:

Steve

I don't have to be a mind reader - You spit the dummy so often, insinuating that you wouldn't go off the deep end if someone insured hit you is laughable.

Fuck - you would cry for a week.

As for calling me a faggot - ohhh you arnt allowed to call people names on the internet remember - Im going to take this international !!!! :laugh:

Tank McLovin

Tank
1st September 2008, 20:34
:gob: I'm guessing you guys are good friends when you meet on rides? :yes:
:calm::calm::calm::calm:

nope !

anyways - getting back on track, having done the whole dispensation thing - I called and spoke to the lady who helped me at LTNZ - seems that they have changed in anticipation of the new learner rules as someone mentioned above.

Only thing I can think of is to call them and explain that you have the bike in your ownership already and that it would cause you significant financial hardship to get another bike given that because of your weight / height etc a 250 dont cut it.

Good luck!

reofix
1st September 2008, 20:34
Tank ... i ride 27k bike on third party... i figure if i bin it... the 27k is going to be the least of my problems.. PS I never take all those rental car excess reduction options either ... Am i a crazy risk taker? not at all

Tank
1st September 2008, 20:41
Tank ... i ride 27k bike on third party... i figure if i bin it... the 27k is going to be the least of my problems.. PS I never take all those rental car excess reduction options either ... Am i a crazy risk taker? not at all

Like many here we can afford to drop the money on the bike - the trouble comes in when you hit a 150k Audi or the like.

That can be life changing if you cannot get the funds together to pay - and it dosn't take that much damage to cost a lot of $$$$.

But with 3rd party its not an issue - you are covered - what DB was suggesting is riding with NO insurance, and throw all caution to the wind.

What you are doing is not being a risk taker - its a simple cost / benefit calculation and you chose to get 3rd party only - no biggie - thats whet we did with my wifes bike also.

But anyone who rides without 3rd party IS taking a risk.

h20boy
1st September 2008, 21:00
nope !

Only thing I can think of is to call them and explain that you have the bike in your ownership already and that it would cause you significant financial hardship to get another bike given that because of your weight / height etc a 250 dont cut it.

Good luck!

Yip tried that...answer?...We dont grant them on the basis of inconvenience or financial hardship.

This fucking inconvenience is my financial hardship mother fuckers!

Sorry...:apint:

Gubb
1st September 2008, 21:13
Its a public fucken forum, retard, and if you dont like lt then piss off somewhere else where everyone only agrees with what you say. I'm entitled to my fucken opinion just like you are entitled to yours. Go jam a 15 inch crescent. and sign your real name, faggot, or are you too weak ?

Steve
:gob::wacko::angry2::crybaby::baby:

It's my opinion that your a tool. Don't like it? Piss off somewhere else where everyone only agrees with what you say.

Signed.

Gubb (the faggot).

Slyer
2nd September 2008, 00:01
Why do you idiots keep going on about you being entitled to your opinion?
NO SHIT. SO ARE THEY. SO SHUT UP. :Oi:

Griffin
11th September 2008, 15:58
I love threads like this... you can feel the KB love oozing out of every post. :love:

Lucy
18th September 2008, 21:41
With my wife, She just had to sit the thery test for her car. They would not allow her her Cook Island bike licence. lol we tried. I think its who you get at the end of the counter serving

Yep, just get the form, fill it all out, walk in there and look confident. If they enter it all in the computer properly, without trying to decide if it's legit, it will end up spitting out a full practical test appointment. (This is if you already have your 6L). There's a question that says have you had it for over two years, say yes, because you got your first Raro one at least three years ago...

That's what I did. Didn't save all that much money, but saved on time. If I didn't already have the 6L I'm quite sure I would have had to do the scratchy and then the practical, which would have saved a heap of money.

I did it because they refused me an exemption to ride after 10pm, even though my shifts finished at midnight. Grrrr. "You have a car licence, drive a car"

skidMark
19th September 2008, 08:31
LTSA will not give an exemption license to anybody is the have a bike that has ninja in the name.

I kid you not.

Because apparently ninja's are very powerful... even though it is just a generic name given to all kawasaki sports bikes.

Another rule maker who had no idea what he was on about, they will happily say here is a gsxr600 though...

Gotta love the system

h20boy
20th September 2008, 22:47
LTSA will not give an exemption license to anybody is the have a bike that has ninja in the name.

I kid you not.

Because apparently ninja's are very powerful... even though it is just a generic name given to all kawasaki sports bikes.

Another rule maker who had no idea what he was on about, they will happily say here is a gsxr600 though...

Gotta love the system

Not anymore....ah those were the days :)

Grub
20th September 2008, 23:20
I was justed declined an exemption from my learners to ride a bike larger than 250cc as my bike isn't on their approved list...problem is, no-one I spoke to before buying the bike or since being declined, knew anything about this list.

My bet is that they're using the NSW LAMS list - which is what they will use when they bring the new laws in (next year?). I can't remember what the exact formula is but its something like the Weight of the bike divided by its Nm.

Do a KB forum search on "LAMS", there was quite a bit on the formula when the new laws were announced.

marioc
21st September 2008, 09:48
I am pretty surer the ER6f is more than 60 hp no?

h20boy
21st September 2008, 10:08
I am pretty surer the ER6f is more than 60 hp no?

Yeah it is...there's a few on the list up around there.