PDA

View Full Version : Flag flying - what's your views?

Big Dan
1st September 2008, 18:37
Hi All

the question the poll asks really says it all but here is a little background

I myself are NZder and also one other flatmate. Had a Pom move in and wants to fly his english flag on clothes line

I consider this rude, whats your thoughts

CookMySock
1st September 2008, 18:52
It couldn't possibly do anything that would affect me. Makes no difference whatsoever. shrug.

You can spend your whole life picking up shit and eating it. Its nasty. Don't do it. Let things go that don't actually have any effect on you.

Steve

scumdog
1st September 2008, 18:56
Hi All

I myself are NZder and also one other flatmate. Had a Pom move in and wants to fly his english flag on clothes line

Well...YOU'VE got fuck-all to worry about in life haven't you??
:rolleyes:

98tls
1st September 2008, 18:59
Paint a rather large NZ flag on his bedroom ceiling.

mattian
1st September 2008, 19:02
The Union Jack is in the corner of the New Zealand flag. The Union Jack has the English St Georges cross in the middle of it so........ effectively, everytime you fly the NZ flag.... you are also flying the English, Scottish and Welsh flags. :buggerd:

Jerry74
1st September 2008, 19:51
No issue we are all POMS originally

Fatjim
1st September 2008, 19:54
Could be worse, could be this flag instead.

MisterD
1st September 2008, 19:56
Yep, it's definitely rude to fly my flag on the clothes line. Tell him to do it properly and put a flag pole up.

awayatc
1st September 2008, 20:09

You gotta be joking....

World is slightly bigger then those couple off shitty islands....

thank god...

:scooter:

Mooch
1st September 2008, 20:18
If it's any consolation when the wife & i were living on the Thames in London we'd hang a NZ flag out the appartment window during any NZ verse Uk sports events.

Gave something for all the tourist boats to have a look at ...2005 Grandslam.:Punk:

Number One
1st September 2008, 20:19
Well...YOU'VE got fuck-all to worry about in life haven't you??
:rolleyes:
+1...get over it

I would also second the comment about getting it (the flag you dirty dirty boys :lol:) off the damn clothesline and finding a fricken pole to hoist it up!!!

Bren
1st September 2008, 21:35
tell him if he wants to fly a flag then he can fly the NZ one...

Pumba
1st September 2008, 21:36
Minnor issue, but it is funny the things that bug us for what ever reason that may be.

My thoughts would be to get a New Zealand flag too fly alongside.

Out of intrest (cause I get confused) are we talking a full Union Jack, or just the Cross of St George?

avgas
1st September 2008, 21:42

Why was he wearing it before flying it.....and now wears nothing?
should i feel offended when i see a bible?

Indiana_Jones
1st September 2008, 21:45
Well I wouldn't let him fly the flag on a pole etc, that's reserved for NZ flags, but they can hang it on a wall etc

-Indy

cs363
1st September 2008, 21:53
+1...get over it

+ another 1. Really? You can't find something else to worry about?
Could have been worse, at least it wasn't this flag:

http://youpaidforit.co.nz/files/images/Labour%20-%20crest%20-%20reverse.jpg

:lol::whistle:

Robert Taylor
1st September 2008, 21:53
Im proud of our English heritage ( warts and all ) The Union Jack is part of our flag and absolutely should be there. It is part of Helen Clarks agenda to get rid of it, heres hoping that she can be cut off at the knees ( or better still the kneck ) within a couple of months so she cannot spread her poison here any longer.

Robert Taylor
1st September 2008, 21:56

Having just viewed that affront to decency I am now dissappearing to the little room to be violently ill. Blue is a much much more agreeable colour.

cs363
1st September 2008, 23:54
Here you go Robert, this'll make you feel better (You'll probably recall this from your youth.... :) )

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/files/images/vote-national-poster.jpg

Big Dave
2nd September 2008, 00:03
Leave it on the clothes line till you need to dry your bike.

Ixion
2nd September 2008, 01:11

Here's a better one.

Im proud of our English heritage ( warts and all ) The Union Jack is part of our flag and absolutely should be there.
So am I . And so indeed it should. We are yet loyal subjects of Her Majesty.(albeit with a Jacobin reservation of fealty to His Brittanic Majesty King Francis, whom God preserve)

Storm
2nd September 2008, 07:12
Put upa flag pole and be sure its taller than his flag and then you can both be happy :bleh:

awayatc
2nd September 2008, 07:34
getting red rep from a very ugly fat bald flagwaving pom coz " NZ will always be part of the british empire".....

Could somebody please put some chlorine into the genepool?

NighthawkNZ
2nd September 2008, 07:39
FFS its just a flag... there could be worse flags that he wants to hang out... Aussie... but then again you probably could tell the difference... aussie flag 6 stars and all white stars... one huge bugger under the jack... kiwi flag, 4 stars and theya re red and white...

Out of intrest (cause I get confused) are we talking a full Union Jack, or just the Cross of St George?

if its the union jack and if you are that worried about get a big blue sheet, draw 4 red stars with white boarders forming a diamond on right half... get some needle and thread and stitch it to the top left corner...

fire eyes
2nd September 2008, 07:48
:dodge: What better place for him to hang it then on the Clothes Line!

Cmon Dan ... Go & get laid & think about the good things in life :lol:

alanzs
2nd September 2008, 09:50
Some day I hope I have nothing else to worry about or get offended by except a piece of cloth with different colours on it. Imagine how wonderful life would be if the only worry you had was the colours on a piece of cloth on the line in the backyard. Oh, for the day....

Quick, ring the alarm, the village idiot has escaped!!!! :laugh:

imdying
2nd September 2008, 09:52
Not at all... I don't even have a New Zealand flag, but I do have a huge Japanese flag... I'd fly it if I had a flag pole :yes:

martybabe
2nd September 2008, 10:13
It's quite a common sight in Spain to see flag poles bearing the Spanish flag with the occupants home country flag flying beneath it, It shows an interest in and an allegiance to the land of their birth and their adopted home. I think that's pretty cool in this transient global society we live in.

I wouldn't be too bothered if next door wanted to fly a chinese flag, I'd be a bit confused though cause he's German. :laugh:

Don't sweat it mate, taint nothing unless your at war with the country the flag belongs to, I could see that ruffling a few feathers. :confused:

Mikkel
2nd September 2008, 10:25

Hmmm, although if you can trace your ancestry back to a nun from York you've probably got a bit of Danish blood in there too :D

How about the Maoris - are they all originally from England too?

The Dutch? The Germans? The Chinese? The Japanese?... and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on...

Well I wouldn't let him fly the flag on a pole etc, that's reserved for NZ flags, but they can hang it on a wall etc

It would appear that there are quite a few touristy places around New Zealand that would disagree with that. Hell, I've even seen a Danish flag a couple of times.

Let's get a check on that nationalism. It's just a coloured rag for christ sake... The only four flags that ought to be taken serious are these:
http://www.theradreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/jolly-roger.gif
http://graphics.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/whiteflag_08_31.jpg
http://www.flags.net/images/largeflags/ICRC0001.GIF
http://rivetcounter.txc.net.au/22Flags/22_Flags_Signal_L.gif

martybabe
2nd September 2008, 10:46
[QUOTE=Mikkel;1713733]Hmmm, although if you can trace your ancestry back to a nun from York you've probably got a bit of Danish blood in there too :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

:killingme Horny hat= Horny disposition eh.

AllanB
2nd September 2008, 10:47
What I don't get is the number of Poms, scots etc who come over here and wank on about the 'homeland' - if it was so bloody good why come to live in NZ?

For the kids they say - why is England etc shit for kids?

I notice when they are moaning on about NZ and then reliving wonderful times back 'home' if I say 'leave, go back then' they do not like it.

Plus a lot of the imports are very uptight - chill out I say you are in NZ now!

At the end of the day as long as he is not erecting his pole near your girl, I'd not be bothered!

EJK
2nd September 2008, 10:55
Speaking of flags, Libyan flag is the most interesting of all...

Robert Taylor
2nd September 2008, 11:00
Here you go Robert, this'll make you feel better (You'll probably recall this from your youth.... :) )

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/files/images/vote-national-poster.jpg

A great man!!!

cs363
2nd September 2008, 11:07
A great man!!!

You are too kind..... :yes: :laugh:

MisterD
2nd September 2008, 11:24
What I don't get is the number of Poms, scots etc who come over here and wank on about the 'homeland' - if it was so bloody good why come to live in NZ?

For most is boils down to 4m people here, versus 60m in the same land area back there. Culture shock is minimised since both countries have lying scheming corrupt Labour governments, and at least here we don't have the extra layer of European lunacy generating waves of useless immigrants from the former Eastern Bloc.

Personally - I married a Kiwi and got imported.

One thing you all should be proud of is the participation level in all kinds of sports and outdoor activities. The trends aren't good, but it's like winding the clock back in a good way.

Hope this helps clarify your confusion but it is an obvious difference between ex-pat Brits and other immigrants is that we don't look to some arbitary point in the future at which we will suddenly become "Kiwis".

I will always be English, I won't ever become a Kiwi - don't take offence at that, it's just a fact. My son was born here, and he's a Kiwi (or maybe Briwi) and I am proud of that, but NZ is just where I live not part of how I define myself.

Tank
2nd September 2008, 11:30
Meh, My wife puts out a Cross of St George when there is NZ / England Rugby games. I used to fly a NZ flag in the UK when there was sporting events on there as well.

I dont consider my actions rude - not that of my wife or your flatmate.

Personally I think its nice to see them out there - and I wish that more New Zealanders flew flags.

Fuck it - I might just go put a flag pole out the back of the house.

wysper
2nd September 2008, 11:54
Let's get a check on that nationalism. It's just a coloured rag for christ sake... The only four flags that ought to be taken serious are these:

Whats that last yellow and black one?

Morcs
2nd September 2008, 12:32
Hi All

Considering we are your mother country we have every right to fly our flag.

If it was french/german/swiss/greek/us/canadian etc.. then burn it.

Flatcap
2nd September 2008, 12:40
I will always be English

You mean, apart from the Irish bit...?

alanzs
2nd September 2008, 13:05

I notice when they are moaning on about NZ and then reliving wonderful times back 'home' if I say 'leave, go back then' they do not like it.

Plus a lot of the imports are very uptight - chill out I say you are in NZ now!

At the end of the day as long as he is not erecting his pole near your girl, I'd not be bothered!

I'm an import from the US and there isn't a day which goes by that I'm not glad I'm living here. This is a truly great place to be, but then again, being is all between your ears anyways.

I must admit, I chuckle when some of my UK imported co-workers talk about how they can't get a good sausage here. I laugh and tell 'em I got some prime sausage for 'em; Grade AAA US 100% Imported Beef! :cool:

MisterD
2nd September 2008, 13:30
You mean, apart from the Irish bit...?

Even diamonds have impurities.:2thumbsup:

Mikkel
2nd September 2008, 15:36
Whats that last yellow and black one?

That's the naval signal flag for plague/yellow fever/something contagious, horrible and deadly - AKA stay away if you wanna live.

MIXONE
2nd September 2008, 15:52
FFS you have forgotten the most important flag of them all.The black and white checkered one!!!!:first:

mstriumph
2nd September 2008, 15:54
Hi All

if it's screen-printed on his underpants and he's paying rent i REALLY don't see how you can stop him?? :rolleyes:

MIXONE
2nd September 2008, 15:54
I'm an import from the US and there isn't a day which goes by that I'm not glad I'm living here. This is a truly great place to be, but then again, being is all between your ears anyways.

I must admit, I chuckle when some of my UK imported co-workers talk about how they can't get a good sausage here. I laugh and tell 'em I got some prime sausage for 'em; Grade AAA US 100% Imported Beef! :cool:

I hope you reserve your sausage for the female workers or does the door swing both ways?

Tank
2nd September 2008, 16:25
That's the naval signal flag for plague/yellow fever/something contagious, horrible and deadly - AKA stay away if you wanna live.

NOW you tell me ... fuck it - I thought it was a strange colour combination for her undies - now I know why.

alanzs
2nd September 2008, 16:31
I hope you reserve your sausage for the female workers or does the door swing both ways?

No, I'm old school. Female co-workers only. Really nobody but my wife. Why, you interested in prime US sausage? If so, have fun! :doh:

Robert Taylor
2nd September 2008, 18:14
For most is boils down to 4m people here, versus 60m in the same land area back there. Culture shock is minimised since both countries have lying scheming corrupt Labour governments, and at least here we don't have the extra layer of European lunacy generating waves of useless immigrants from the former Eastern Bloc.

Personally - I married a Kiwi and got imported.

One thing you all should be proud of is the participation level in all kinds of sports and outdoor activities. The trends aren't good, but it's like winding the clock back in a good way.

Hope this helps clarify your confusion but it is an obvious difference between ex-pat Brits and other immigrants is that we don't look to some arbitary point in the future at which we will suddenly become "Kiwis".

I will always be English, I won't ever become a Kiwi - don't take offence at that, it's just a fact. My son was born here, and he's a Kiwi (or maybe Briwi) and I am proud of that, but NZ is just where I live not part of how I define myself.

We sure as heck could do with more UK immigrants ( who can positively enhance the country )than the hordes of 3rd world immigrants we so often have to subsidise. Rule Brittania.

Nagash
2nd September 2008, 18:24
God save the Queen! Huzzah!

awayatc
2nd September 2008, 18:40
Whats that last yellow and black one?....

The letter "F".....
All letters are represented by different flags.....so signalmen could pass messages from on ship to the other silently....

cs363
2nd September 2008, 18:47
both countries have lying scheming corrupt Labour governments.

Gosh.... :gob: Surely they aren't really like that??!! ....Are they?! :laugh::rofl:

Robert Taylor
2nd September 2008, 21:51
Gosh.... :gob: Surely they aren't really like that??!! ....Are they?! :laugh::rofl:

Indeed, Gordon Botchup Brown and Helen Clarkenstein are both facing electoral defeat, deservedly so. Go the Tories!

cs363
2nd September 2008, 22:00
Indeed, Gordon Botchup Brown and Helen Clarkenstein are both facing electoral defeat, deservedly so. Go the Tories!

Gordon Background Brown? A very forgettable man......I truly wish I could say that about our Labour leader/PM, but I fear I will endure nightmares of Frankensteins sister for quite some time after the election, regardless of outcome.

Or at least that's what my therapist says, but who knows? She could be a Greenie..... :Pokey:

Robert, you might know - any truth to the rumour that this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHLjYBsl2zA
is being used for an advertising campaign in the upcoming UK elections? Not sure which side of the benches was going to run it though.... :rofl:[

Mikkel
2nd September 2008, 22:10
FFS you have forgotten the most important flag of them all.The black and white checkered one!!!!:first:

Nah, it's not that important - you can usually sneak in another lap or two before the officials can force you off the track :D

NOW you tell me ... fuck it - I thought it was a strange colour combination for her undies - now I know why.

I dunno if they apply to the french pox as well :scratch:

The letter "F".....
All letters are represented by different flags.....so signalmen could pass messages from on ship to the other silently....

According to what I can find online it either means "L", "Stop immediately" or "Plague, Cholera or Yellow Fever".

awayatc
2nd September 2008, 22:34
According to what I can find online it either means "L", "Stop immediately" or "Plague, Cholera or Yellow Fever".

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/s0120000.jpg

Robert Taylor
3rd September 2008, 09:30
Gordon Background Brown? A very forgettable man......I truly wish I could say that about our Labour leader/PM, but I fear I will endure nightmares of Frankensteins sister for quite some time after the election, regardless of outcome.

Or at least that's what my therapist says, but who knows? She could be a Greenie..... :Pokey:

Robert, you might know - any truth to the rumour that this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHLjYBsl2zA
is being used for an advertising campaign in the upcoming UK elections? Not sure which side of the benches was going to run it though.... :rofl:[

Thats easy, we know who the ''nowhere man'' is, the tory leader ( David Cameron ) is a very impressive performer. And why wouldnt he be?

Mikkel
3rd September 2008, 12:16
Good to see they're consistent :rolleyes:

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/s0140000.jpg

awayatc
3rd September 2008, 12:47
Must be different languages....:shutup::wari:

Thank god we got radio now.......

Toaster
3rd September 2008, 12:58
Let him fly it. If he feels pride enough to do so then so be it.

If you don't like it, shit in his bed.

Toaster
3rd September 2008, 13:00

Agreed... bloody communists!

Big Dave
3rd September 2008, 20:24
Must be different languages....:shutup::wari:

Thank god we got radio now.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zkZ3f8DnKs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zkZ3f8DnKs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cs363
3rd September 2008, 21:43
In that case we might as well have this one too.... :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U33Xg91HAlo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U33Xg91HAlo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>