PDA

View Full Version : Which tyre would suit?

Rupe
1st September 2008, 20:01
I don't really know anything about tyres, and I know it's been done before, but any ideas?

I haven't changed mine since I got the bike and it really is time for a new one.

I want something that would get ruined by the dry summer, but will be riding thunder, kimmies, mr motocycle etc this summer. And woodhill when it's wet, with maybe some wet/damp riverhead.

I'm also not sure what differance the width makes, so if some one could let me know. I have a 110/100 18 at the mo.

barty5
1st September 2008, 21:14
my ms3 has no probs hooking up either in the wet or dry cond

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/index.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004112517&lang=EN

click on the different tyres it will give you a chart of where their good and bad points are

green machine
1st September 2008, 21:26

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/index.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004112517&lang=EN

click on the different tyres it will give you a chart of where their good and bad points are

x2 i just put some on and they seem pretty good so far

Rupe
1st September 2008, 21:58

Looks like they don't do these for 18's:confused::confused:

cheese
1st September 2008, 22:08
I got teh MH3 which is teh harder version whihc will last longer. Love it.

Talk to Scott from Mr motorcyles!

scott411
2nd September 2008, 15:10
likethe guys above i like Starcross Mihelins, (MH3 mid hard and MS3 mid soft) but they do not make 18" versions of them, i prefer the MH3 as i tend to ride at harrisville and ardmore and that kills MS3's a bit quicker,

i run either bridgestone M402's or pirelli Xtra's on 18" rims, i prefer the feel of the bridgestone but the pirelli last longer,

takitimu
2nd September 2008, 15:31
i run either bridgestone M402's or pirelli Xtra's on 18" rims, i prefer the feel of the bridgestone but the pirelli last longer,
Just curious how do you like the M402's vs the M40's, I've been running M40's for a while, but thinking of trying a 402, the nice thing about the M40's is they seem to climb anything in front of them, which is pretty handy @ times.

scott411
2nd September 2008, 17:28
teh M40 is better in mud, m402 in the hard pack, tough call, depending on what you ride more

Henk
2nd September 2008, 18:23
S12s are available in 18 and work pretty much anywhere. You'll want the smallest one. I assume we are talking rear tyres. otherwise the MS3 is available in 21 and Ive run MS3 front S12 rear with no problems.

Rupe
2nd September 2008, 18:31
teh M40 is better in mud, m402 in the hard pack, tough call, depending on what you ride more

It's got a m64 on at the mo, not sure what they are suited to? I rather ride mud more, but it seemed most places through the summer months were hard packed.

Could you pm me a price Scott + shipping to aucks

dammad1
2nd September 2008, 19:26
I run the 402 in summer and the 202 in winter, the 402 hooks up quite well even in the mud but its no good in the sand.

Reckless
2nd September 2008, 20:24
With reference to sizes Rup.
My Ktm Manual says 120/90x18 rear and 90/90x21 front. I thought 120 was quite wide for the rear but the bike has quite good torque so I imagine it helps the tyre from sitting on top and spinning up, still lets it bite. I bought a cheap Kiwi x $65-00 for my Ktm when I first bought it, as I wasn't sure if I'd like the bike or not. Well its still on and seems to do the job ok. Probably go for something mainstream next time, i'll know then if the Kiwix is ok or not. The one I just got needs new tyres so I'm in the same boat as you but I'll probably put a 120 on it. Seems to handle it ok.

scott411
2nd September 2008, 22:21
a 120/90-18 is the same as a 110/100-18, they are not proper 120 wide tyres,
and the same with 90/90-21's and 80/100-21's,

Reckless
3rd September 2008, 10:09
That's good to know thanks for the info Scott!!

warewolf
4th September 2008, 18:54
There are two tyre standards in use; one measures the sidewall width, the other includes the tread (ETRTO or ISO, the Euro standard quoted by KTM). The equivalence table is something like this:

100/100-18 = 120/90-18
110/100-18 = 130/80-18
120/100-18 = 140/80-18
and
80/100-21 = 90/90-21

So a '120' can mean either the biggest or the smallest tyre :crybaby: These two standards are a common source of confusion.

Rupe
5th September 2008, 19:23

Looking at the chart from the website above. Looks like the S12 is a good tyre but not in the hard pack stuff which is only a few months away. The M12 doesn't look very good at anything except lasting a while. Is there much truth in this, what/which would be best for the average years riding round Aucks.

If the Bridgestone 402 is no go for sand it would prob not be worth me getting.

B0000M
5th September 2008, 19:27
i reckon the MH3 is probably the best all rounder ive found. would definately survive aucklands conditions which tend to be relatively soft. cheese is also now running one on the rear of his CR

Rupe
5th September 2008, 19:30
i reckon the MH3 is probably the best all rounder ive found. would definately survive aucklands conditions which tend to be relatively soft. cheese is also now running one on the rear of his CR

Don't make them for an 18" rear mate.

dammad1
5th September 2008, 19:38
Looking at the chart from the website above. Looks like the S12 is a good tyre but not in the hard pack stuff which is only a few months away. The M12 doesn't look very good at anything except lasting a while. Is there much truth in this, what/which would be best for the average years riding round Aucks.

If the Bridgestone 402 is no go for sand it would prob not be worth me getting.

The 402 is not totally usless in sand it won't get you stuck anywhere, but if you want it to hook up instanly in the soft sand it wont. I always run two tires a year, the 402 works real well across summer and then change to the 202 for winter, if the 402 still has life in it you can turn it around and use it the following summer if you have budget constraints.

Reckless
5th September 2008, 19:46
I called Triple X my local Ktm dealer and he instantly said Pirelli Scorpian extra for the 200. Gave me a better price than Cycle treds as well. But I"ll give scott a call just bought some of the thor kneeguards off him excellent service called 4pm thurs they where here 8am friday!

Rupe
5th September 2008, 20:02
I called Triple X my local Ktm dealer and he instantly said Pirelli Scorpian extra for the 200. Gave me a better price than Cycle treds as well. But I"ll give scott a call just bought some of the thor kneeguards off him excellent service called 4pm thurs they where here 8am friday!

They tried to charge me $40 for a small bolt that you can walk into any fixings place and buy thebolt and get change from $1. They also told me it would be under $4 when they ordered it. Maybe thats where they make the profit and not on the tyres.

Anyway who's got the opinions on the s12 and m12 for woodhill,thunderx, mr motocycles, kimmies etc?

4stroke
5th September 2008, 20:03
The 402 is not totally usless in sand it won't get you stuck anywhere, but if you want it to hook up instanly in the soft sand it wont. I always run two tires a year, the 402 works real well across summer and then change to the 202 for winter, if the 402 still has life in it you can turn it around and use it the following summer if you have budget constraints.

i run a 402 on my crf450 and have no problems with it, good in the sand and mud, did the kuratau trail ride with it and was quite happy. and seems to hold on to the tree roots resonably well too.

B0000M
5th September 2008, 23:45
They tried to charge me $40 for a small bolt that you can walk into any fixings place and buy thebolt and get change from $1. They also told me it would be under $4 when they ordered it. Maybe thats where they make the profit and not on the tyres.

Anyway who's got the opinions on the s12 and m12 for woodhill,thunderx, mr motocycles, kimmies etc?

cheese used to run a s12 at those places, seemed pretty happy with it. i rate it higher than the metzelers

Reckless
9th September 2008, 14:30
Wel I've made my choice gonna buy some Pirelli Scorpian mx Extras.

quote "Grip and traction on a wide range of terrain encompassing hard to medium-soft terrain
Very high durability with constancy of performance

Perfect application in semi-pro racing "

Quite frankly I have a hard time telling the difference between them once you get right up to finer judgements. So a good all rounder that will do the summer Xcountry rides and still not get torn to bits on the roots at the sandpit will be fine for us!! You know its funny how the tread patterns on all the rears look so similar, I wonder how much difference there realy is???
It will be interesting to see how they compare the the cheap Kiwi X I put onto the other bike now we have 2 of the same.
Just called my mate that races lots and he says they are good as well!

Reckless
9th September 2008, 16:46
Ended up with an Mt32! not the Extra. Just couldn't resist the fact it was a bit softer and has the clearing knobs on it. Probably won't last as long but who cares! I know my mate fits them on his sons race bike as well. Same price so I did it!