PDA

View Full Version : I want to get into bucketeering

kave
1st September 2008, 20:39
What is the best way to get into bucket racing? I have just bought a Kawasaki KH125 with the intention of turning it into a bucket racer, and live 5 minutes away from the Mount Wellington track.

Here is my new set of wheels

Trudes
1st September 2008, 20:40
Looks like the first step there!! Strip everything that you don't need off it, mirrors, indicators, lights, instruments etc, put some good rubber on it, lower the handles bars or put some clip-ons on it and go ride!! Have fun!!! :niceone:

Pumba
1st September 2008, 21:16
Although I am no expert I am learning fast and I will pass on what I know,

With the bike I would start by ripping off any glass (headlight, indicators, mirros, tail light), that top box, wire up the sump plug, fit a catch bottle that all the overflow tubes discharge to, and then fit some teflon blocks (choping boards) to any thing that has the potential to scrape along the track (plastic wine corks work well in the handle bar ends).

As for you, if you already have leathers that zip togeather (even if it is just at the back) all good, a helmet is always helpfull, as is a set of gloves and boots.

For your first meeting you can probally get away without a licence (just get a day licence on the day for a nominal fee), but if you are going to do most of the season you will need to get a proper licence. First you will need to join AMCC (http://www.amcc.co.nz/) or simular afilied club and then get a MNZ licence (http://www.mnz.co.nz/overseas.aspx).

Any more questions just keep asking, someone here should be able to answer them, or the other person to call is John Conner, his phone number is on the AMCC website, he orgaisies everything and can answer more questions than I can.

Apart from that, the next meeting is on Sunday 21 September, with practise on the the Saturday. Look foward to seeing you out there on the track

Pumba
1st September 2008, 21:19
Oh and the other thing, I cant see what the tyres are on your bike but if they look like what I imagine they do I would recomend finding some new or second hand rubber.

Buckets4Me
2nd September 2008, 07:39
Do what you can and turn up
if the bike isn't gouing turn up anyway
turn up and talk to everyone

speedpro
2nd September 2008, 08:25
john Connor has a couple of Honda 125Ts for sale. Race ready and race proven. Ask anyone about john's 125Ts. Very fast and reliable. Sorry, don't know the price he wants but typically he's pretty reasonable considering what you get.

ajturbo
2nd September 2008, 08:29
First you will need to join AMCC (http://www.amcc.co.nz/) or simular afilied club and then get a MNZ licence (http://www.mnz.co.nz/overseas.aspx).

not here in welly:wari::wari::wari:

just turn up,

pay ya money

get out and fall off with the best of them..

err i mean race with the best of them...:bash:

Skunk
2nd September 2008, 08:46
What is the best way to get into bucket racing? I have just bought a Kawasaki KH125 with the intention of turning it into a bucket racer, and live 5 minutes away from the Mount Wellington track.
I didn't even see that come up on TradeMe... I hate you! (No, not really - just jealous).

Good luck with the Bucketing.

SHELRACING
2nd September 2008, 09:25

Here is my new set of wheels

That could be an interesting bike I hear they are pretty quick, you don't see too many of them around.

Pumba's said wot needs to be said. Strip off everything you don't need. Definately the top box. Catch bottle and wire the sump are compulsory.

I suggest you come down on Saturday 20th for a look and meet a few people. It's a casual practice day so you won't need a license. Try and find some decent riding gear cos sooner or later you're gonna fall off.

If you want to race then Leathers, boots, gloves a backbrace and a race license are compulsory.

Look forward to seeing you there
Steve and Ellen
:2thumbsup

kave
2nd September 2008, 10:48
I didn't even see that come up on TradeMe... I hate you! (No, not really - just jealous).

Good luck with the Bucketing.
You will be even more jealous when you hear that it cost me $250- :yes:

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I'll be heading down to Hamilton this weekend to pick up the bike, and I'll try to post regular updates on how the bucket conversion is going once I get it. I'll definately come along on the 20th to watch how everything works, and to pick up as much advice as I can get.

Number One
2nd September 2008, 18:36
Well done sir you will enjoy it sooo much - that track up there is mighty fine lookin too. :wahoo: ENJOY the evolution of your machine

speedpro
2nd September 2008, 19:16
Someone I would suggest hooking up with is TZ350 on here, otherwise known as Rob. He owns and is involved with other Suzuki GP 125s. Similar enough to your bike to be able to pass on useful advice. If you need a hand getting it to the track make sure you ask on here as plenty will help you. It's the bucketing way.

SHELRACING
2nd September 2008, 19:39
Yep good advice on here.

Bring your bike down on Sunday too as everyone will be interested and will be able to steer you in the right direction.

If you would like to have a ride on the Sat, on a bike that ( it's not fast) is all ready set up, then my Honda 100 will be available.
Just bring down some riding gear. :niceone:

FROSTY
2nd September 2008, 19:45
What puma said. Id turn up with ya bike and just ride it on saturday practice. --Its a heapa fun

Buckets4Me
10th November 2008, 19:42
what has hapend with this bike
have you got it going
been down to the track yet

December 2008
Buckets
20 - 21 Non-points Fun Day
Mt Wellington

be there on the 21 december or be square
:clap:

Squid
6th December 2008, 10:39
Mite be the wrong thread but.... Im gona be moving down to dunedin next year for uni and thinking of selling the gixxa and getting a bucket (basicly so I can do track days......) Whats the scene like down there anyone know?