PDA

View Full Version : Ad campaign for Cheesecutter dangers

RiderInBlack
2nd September 2008, 07:54
What would it take ta make our own Ad for TV or U-Tube advertising the dangers of these kind of barriers? Was thinking something like the "Intersection Death Luck Wheel" ad or a take on it based around the Cheese-cutters. What ya thoughts?

Strang0r
2nd September 2008, 09:14
i like the idea... a utube ad could be done with a very low or no budget if someone is willing to put in the time... but to have a real impact it might have to be quite graphic to show the damage they can cause...

MSTRS
2nd September 2008, 10:35
... but to have a real impact it might have to be quite graphic to show the damage they can cause...

Volunteers to run into this shit might be hard to find. Even the loudest voices proclaiming how wonderful and safe it is won't be in a hurry to step up.
A couple of bods each from Transit/LTNZ, ACC, Labour MPs...would allow for several takes to 'get it right'

James Deuce
2nd September 2008, 10:38
My life sucks. I'll run into one for you guys. Bring lots of cameras for different angles, because I'm only doing it once.

RiderInBlack
2nd September 2008, 11:20
Volunteers to run into this shit might be hard to find. Even the loudest voices proclaiming how wonderful and safe it is won't be in a hurry to step up.
A couple of bods each from Transit/LTNZ, ACC, Labour MPs...would allow for several takes to 'get it right'Was thinking someone with good Vid editing skill could put something together without having ta put a bike into one. The clip also should have cars and trucks "hitting" the barriers. Computer Anime mixed with test footage? Pics of bikes after hitting one (got ta be pics from real accidents hitting these out there somewhere) mixed with shits of similar bike riding near a similar barrier. The Ad makers and movie dudes would have used similar techniques to make action shots like that.

MSTRS
2nd September 2008, 11:55
Was thinking someone with good Vid editing skill could put something together without having ta put a bike into one. The clip also should have cars and trucks "hitting" the barriers. Computer Anime mixed with test footage? Pics of bikes after hitting one (got ta be pics from real accidents hitting these out there somewhere) mixed with shits of similar bike riding near a similar barrier. The Ad makers and movie dudes would have used similar techniques to make action shots like that.

Nope - suggested carnage doesn't do it for me. Gotta be real.
Bit like guns really...everyone knows the damage they can inflict, so showing results is not necessary. But the WRB is a safety measure, right? Couldn't cause horrendous wounds and dismemberment, right? Because that would be like really bad to use it, if it did do bad stuff to people, right?

RiderInBlack
3rd September 2008, 09:29
Bit like guns really...everyone knows the damage they can inflict, so showing results is not necessary. But the WRB is a safety measure, right? Couldn't cause horrendous wounds and dismemberment, right? Because that would be like really bad to use it, if it did do bad stuff to people, right?Yes and no. Not Everyone Knows or cares about the damage WRB's can do. This is why we need to increase the awareness. This will get more people thinking about it, especially if the damage to other vehicles is shown too. If more non-bikers were concerned about WRB's, we would have a better chance of something being done about them. That was my thought line about getting a visual ad made.
Is there any KB'ers out there that does this kind of work and would be interested in putting a Vid clip together to emphasize the damage WRB's can do?

MSTRS
3rd September 2008, 09:59
You've missed the POV intent in my post, RIB. I wrote it as though I was Mr JoeAveragePublic.
That (mythical?) person needs to see exactly what this shit can do to the human body...hinting through suggestive images just isn't enough, because he doesn't have the ability to extrapolate. As I said, he (thinks he) knows this stuff is a safety feature, so couldn't possibly be dangerous.
Capische?

RiderInBlack
3rd September 2008, 10:18
Capische?Aye sorry mate just a bit tried so ya post didn't come across right. Thing is if it is too graphic people switch off (or complain ta get the ad removed) and ya have difficultly get the clip aired. So therefore the ad needs to be able to get the idea across without alienating the target Audience. The "Death Weel Intersection" ad works well there. It would not be anymore effective if it showed bodies lying around all mashed-up and bloody, IMHO.

MSTRS
3rd September 2008, 10:33
I know what you mean. But just how do you show missing limbs/heads, other than showing them?

RiderInBlack
3rd September 2008, 10:48
Was just thinking they could test the effect on a rider by releasing a dummy in bike gear from a moving vehicle running next to the WRB. That would mimic a rider that has parted company from their bike that is sliding down the road and gets caught by a WRB. The Rider and bike would be harder.
The Car with the wire though the roof gets the Idea across without bodies.

avgas
3rd September 2008, 10:49
how about throwing a crash test dummy off the back of a truck wearing motorbike gear at the thing.......

slimjim
3rd September 2008, 15:15
Fuck you know how many people enjoy human bits on tv... fuck look in the tv guide shitload's... Try CSI .... people getting dismembered an it get's awards hummm ad's with body parts ... O . they fit in suitcases too more killed walking than hitting these things

Atlas
19th September 2008, 13:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10L8421s18Q

Not a bike but still fairly graphic that if you did this on a bike you wouldnt be a happy rider:bye:

"cable barrier crash test"

Genestho
19th September 2008, 20:35
What about a scene with two crashes? The WRB implications vs prefered barrier (or statistically safer) crash?

Same scene, same bike, same dummy, different barriers, different "impacts" The Mess vs getting back onto bike and roaring off to a cup of tea, the happy ever after scene shadowing behind the messy scene, if you get what I mean?

Throw a couple of show stopping stats in...preferably from Aus if we dont have them here as apparently thats where the Govt look to for advice..

Alot more complicated than the russian roulette wheel, That would take some editing.

Maybe you can get around the actual physical scene, and show a bike carved up? Hummm which would produce the next question, who would donate a bike and keep the throttle fullnoise into a WRB?.. always questions..

Just a throwing a crazy thought in anyway..

candor
19th September 2008, 22:31
For tv quality you need a 3ccd vid camera. If can't borrow cost $800-1200 (on special). Upper end has edit features. Alternative is using good quality stills - can fake movement by zoom in or out.
Then for audio you need access to a recording studio. Provision commercials in Taranaki has good rates. They did a road safety ad for my org very cooperatively. Can recommend Ed Aish. 15 second ads well constructed are best value.
Minimum budget for tv ad campaign 10g to networks - gets 3 week run in prime time partly but not over Xmas. Or there are specials for running ads ultra frequently in antisocial hours. Utube is a good idea if on a budget. Or masybe radio ads easier on the pocket. To appeal to mainstream I'd highlight that they aren't a barrier to trucks, but also imo u need to present a safe alternative as barrier beats no barrier on average considering needs of ALL traffic types.

Andy3E
15th April 2009, 08:33
Hey All, sorry to kinda just register to post in old topic like this (bad form i know) anyhoo just been reading through about ths cheese cutter stuff, and saw you mention the idea of an Ad, so just wanted to volunteer my services if i can be of any help, done a few Biker friendly virals here in the UK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Gqmfa7qog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-7b5l62f14
anyway i got all the kit and access to bikes, (there is the small detail that im on the other side of the planet, but if theres a way to 'dress' a road to look a little more Kiwi it shouldn't be to hard), anyway just wanted to give a heads up, my long term goal being to emigrate down that way last thing i want after arriving is loosing my head.

WelshWizard
30th August 2009, 14:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCn6_Ouj64Q
how safe are they for on comming

cheesemethod
2nd September 2009, 17:03
If anybody is serious about making a TV ad or something for youtube please let me know, I have a bit of production experience and some gear.

In terms of the ad itself, Mythbusters have used a pig as a human flesh analogue, if you ran one along a steel rope at 100km/h you could demonstrate your point quite well.

rustyrobot
4th March 2010, 15:08
Hi there, sorry to just jump on in, but had some ideas. I don't think you would need to be graphic at all, and I think that the 'cheesecutter' analogy is a great one to start with. You could intersperse screens which just had some facts about the cheesecutter fences (including mentioning that they are called cheesecutters), with footage of a person slicing through some cheese with a cheesewire. Perhaps the cheese could be human shaped? Starting at the feet? Or even cutting in a different place each time. Then at the end, once you have said the most powerful of the statements, a quick shot of a biker swerving to avoid some obstacle, riding towards a cheesecutter and then screech of brakes as screen goes to black and your final message (and website address).

I could help work on this design wise, but have no camera or any such.

avgas
4th March 2010, 15:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCn6_Ouj64Q
how safe are they for on coming
Right - well best be sure we don't put them in gutters :P
I am sorry man - but the physics in that video is pretty obvious........I would also like to know what the 'windmill' in the background is for. Not calling it fake - staged sounds a bit more relevant.....

Spratt
23rd March 2010, 09:12
I think an ad campaign is a great idea, the actual cheese cutter with biker shaped cheese is a pretty good idea, you could intersperse shots of a biker (or number of different bikers) heading for a barrier with slices off the cheese, followed by an ambulance shot, and then the last shot could be the cheese bikers head being sliced off followed by hearse shot? Gets around the gore factor. May need to make sure any cause of the crash was not sole rider at fault - Nick Smith would like that too much!

R6_kid
23rd March 2010, 09:54
Before you come up with any ideas for how to convey your message you need to make sure that you're message is actually going to be heard and acted upon otherwise you are just wasting your time. Saying they are bad/deadly etc isn't going to achieve much - nearly every single roadside barrier is going to be nasty to hit on a motorcycle - are you going to campaign for all of them to be removed too?

The truth is that the barriers do a decent job 9/10 of redirecting out of control cars/vans/small trucks away from oncoming traffic. What needs to happen in the case of wire rope barriers is for a heavy duty plastic sheath to be added over the top to ensure that vehicles are captured correctly, this also does a sterling job of preventing motorcycle riders from contacting the wire or the posts directly, but without adding an air fence or something similar you're still going to sustain some level of injury.