PDA

View Full Version : The Delta Project

SHELRACING
3rd September 2008, 20:23
After much admiration of Speedpro's Deltabox framed reborn #6 at the last Auckland meeting.

I took the plunge, to see what I could do with my own Deltabox frame. I'd been cosidering wether a FXR 150 would fit for a while, and as it happens have an almost complete, but not going FXR motor.

So I went through the garage, dragging out the best of everything. Pinched a couple of bit off Wobblers F5 bike, ( my need was greater than hers :whistle: )

I didn't imagine it to be an easy or short term project. Here's the progress so far. Some of it is in a mock up stage, but the engine's in all the engine mounts are made. It sits quite nicely and doesn't look too out of place in what was originally 4 cylinder engine frame.

I don't have a rear subframe, so i flogged one of wobblers shelves out of the laundry. They are like mecano sets and bolt together. Great for mock ups just to see how things are going to fit together.

With heaps of room through the frame I wanted to run the exhaust around the motor, under the seat, out of the (at the moment non existent) tail. The Exhaust is just visual a the moment with tacked together bits of pipe, and a crap old pit bike muffler.

Anyways still a long ways to go yet, a few bits source that are still missing, including a motor, I think I'll have to give back the front wheel sooner or later.

I'll post some updates as the bike progresses. Feedback and Ideas are definately welcome.

Slingshot
3rd September 2008, 20:35
Nice one!

Looks like you'll be keeping yourself busy there for a while.

I'm about to embark on a similar project with an FXR frame and probably my GP100 motor...just gotta find wheels & forks.

Ivan
3rd September 2008, 21:18
nice oen,

I really wanna build another one and actually finish it this time

Buckets4Me
3rd September 2008, 22:16
aha there is my missing wheal

lol wait till next meating I got a surprise for you lol
hopefully I will be testing one of 2 new buckets

sorry no pictures and there probably wont be any either

tope secret stuff lol

Kickaha
4th September 2008, 06:21
I took the plunge, to see what I could do with my own Deltabox frame. I'd been cosidering wether a FXR 150 would fit for a while

Feedback and Ideas are definately welcome.

Bren_chch has already done one, he might be able to give you some ideas

http://www.visordown.co.nz/go/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=446

nudemetalz
4th September 2008, 15:01
Looking good !!!

I assume that's where my old rear disc has gone ;)

SHELRACING
5th September 2008, 08:56
Looking good !!!

I assume that's where my old rear disc has gone ;)

Well originally and at the moment it still is, on the spare wheel for the FXR/Loncin. I borrowed it to setup the rear wheel for the Delta and now of course I am reluctant to give it back...

SHELRACING
5th September 2008, 19:27
YEAH WOBBLER HERE........AND WHERE'S MY FRONT WHEEL? I WANT IT BACK! :oi-grr:

Buckets4Me
6th September 2008, 08:21
make sure you have it for the next meating and all the otheres as well he dosent nead any :dodge:

SHELRACING
10th September 2008, 21:44
Well the long term project has developed a lot quicker than expected, I have had a lot of free time at home the last few weeks. Guess where it's been spent.

It's all gone together quite well.

The motor/oil cooler is in with all engine mounts finished.
Rear wheel/ Sprocket alingment all looks good.
Wiring done thanks to Stanko for a wiring diag. Just need to fit the kill switch.
Didn't have a subframe, so had to source one. Chopped and fitted.
Tank located
Seat fitted, I dont think the one I had was the right one. But it is now.
Mock up of the exhaust header through to the rear of bike. I might see if someone like Pitstop can bend me a good one.
Mockup done of how I want the tail to work out
Front brake is working, will need new pads tho
Rear brake not quite right, needs a bit more work

In the pipe line.

Need to source some parts
Good muffler
Front wheel + disk ( Had to give wobbler hers back, reluctantly of course)

Waiting on fork seals, then going to strip the forks right down. One of them had no oil, the other had about 300ml.

I was thinking of trying to roll a piece of aluminium to make the Tail section. should be nice and light and still be quite strong

Here are some updated pics

nudemetalz
11th September 2008, 10:06
Looking good !!!

SHELRACING
22nd September 2008, 20:19
Fantasic weekend up at Auckland for the September Auckland bucket meeting meeting. Weather was great, had 2 wins and a 2nd.

Took the opportunity to visit the Henderson Pit Stop centre, where they folded me a new header pipe for the Delta. I'd made a mock up from a few scraps, and the Pit stop boys have done a great job folding me a new pipe. I have a tail pipe(muffler). So just need some minor mods and support brackets.

Thanks to the help from fellow racers I have just about everything I need to put the bike together.

Thanks to John Connor (JCR Racing) for the loan of a running motor
Rob Willis for a front disc (freebie)

Also purchased a pair of wheels TZR wheels. (So wobbler can keep her front wheel for a bit longer).

Waiting on delivery of a rear caliper (brought off Trademe)

More pics coming soon.

nudemetalz
22nd September 2008, 20:28
Would you like a copper 0.7mm head gasket for the Longchin motor ?
I may be able to help ;)

SHELRACING
23rd September 2008, 15:55
I have one already mate, I had one made when I lived in Auckland. Cost me $45. I shelved it, I think because the tolerances may have been a bit tight and the valves were touching the pistons. (I already had the head skimmed 20 thou).

I was going to look at it further but haven't got round to it yet.

Are you using one, to what benefit??

nudemetalz
23rd September 2008, 16:22
I have some copper material, so just going to see what a bit more compression will do. Theoretically it gives more bottom end.
A wilder cam is on the cards next.

I still have your email of your mods that you've done.
Lady P needs MORE OOMMMPH !!!

quallman1234
23rd September 2008, 20:27
I have some copper material, so just going to see what a bit more compression will do. Theoretically it gives more bottom end.

What has fishie done too his? Just interested.

nudemetalz
23rd September 2008, 21:26
Zilch,...but his is faster...dunno why, maybe the carb and pipe setup.

SHELRACING
24th September 2008, 12:59

I don't know what my compression ratio is, But the motor has hell of a kick back if you're not careful starting up.

Credit where it's due the Loncin is bloody fast off the line. Nothing beats me off the start. It's just after that she struggles to fend off all the Jappos once we start winding up.

nudemetalz
24th September 2008, 14:00
Yeah, mine is relatively quick off the line...but it certainly loses out in a straight line to the FXR/CB-T, strokers etc.....

SHELRACING
25th September 2008, 13:11
Here's the latest pics of the Delta, Starting to look good now. The fork seals arrived today so I will get those done over the weekend.

The exhaust is finished, it really was worth the time, effort, and cost. Looks really trick. Hope it performs as well as it looks!!

Having some issues fitting the front wheel cos I don't have the correct axle and spacers. But I'm working on it. If anyone knows of or has an axle.... help!!

I wasn't happy with the seat I had, although it fits, it looked a bit naf. So it's been chucked. The new seat needs more thought.

I fitted the FXR fairing and it looks pretty good, does nothing to help keep the weigh down tho, so I might just take it off and use it at bigger events like Taupo....

Slingshot
25th September 2008, 13:23
If anyone knows of or has an axle.... help!!

What diameter and length do you need?

speedpro
25th September 2008, 20:31
While the forks are apart, if you aren't fitting cartridge emulators, you might want to think about mods to increase the compression damping. They do need a bit more to control attitude under brakes. I played around with the preload spacers as well and in conjunction with the flat rate springs from one of the FZR sets of forks, I ended up with only 5mm or so of preload when the sag was pretty well right. I used Motorex 20w at Robert Taylor's suggestion and initially at the standard setting of 112mm airgap (no springs, forks fully compressed). I later added another 30ml of oil but I reckon it might have been a little bit too much. The oil was added to control dive under brakes. I also adjusted the emulators at the same time. In standard trim it dove under brakes and the rear wasn't too hard to lift. Now it is pretty good and seems to only lift a bit even with a big handful of brake.

While you have it apart as well one thing I did which seems to have worked well (for me) was moving the clipons from under the triple clamp to on top. This raised the handlebars making it a bit more cumfy for this old guy plus it dropped the front and steepened the steering. Once I sort out the new chamber I think I will have ground clearance problems still so that 20mm might have to be found somewhere else but you have to be pretty well cranked over to touch down.

Great chassis though, you will love it.

Rick 52
25th September 2008, 20:46
Here's the latest pics of the Delta, Starting to look good now. The fork seals arrived today so I will get those done over the weekend.

The exhaust is finished, it really was worth the time, effort, and cost. Looks really trick. Hope it performs as well as it looks!!

Having some issues fitting the front wheel cos I don't have the correct axle and spacers. But I'm working on it. If anyone knows of or has an axle.... help!!

I wasn't happy with the seat I had, although it fits, it looked a bit naf. So it's been chucked. The new seat needs more thought.

I fitted the FXR fairing and it looks pretty good, does nothing to help keep the weigh down tho, so I might just take it off and use it at bigger events like Taupo.... Looking very flash its neater than my atempt carnt wait to see it going

SHELRACING
25th September 2008, 22:36
What diameter and length do you need?

I managed to find the correct axle at Buckets'n'Bits fo $10 bucks. Which 1s 15mm dia by 240mm.

Now I have the correct axle. The problem I have is the TZ wheel has a 37/12 bearing. Replacement 37/15 bearings from the local engineering shop $58 each
Ouch!!

I might check with Bike Torque and see if they can come up with something.

SHELRACING
25th September 2008, 22:46
Thanks Speedpro, do you know the recommended oil quantity for each fork. I did drain the oil and one fork was dry, the other had 300ml.

Did you find moving the bars above the tripple clamp, thusly pushing the fork through the clamp, caused the steering to turn in too quick. It did on my old twin ???

I don't suppose you can tell me the axle/bearing sizes on your front wheel. so I can sort my front wheel issues.

Cheers
Steve

While the forks are apart, if you aren't fitting cartridge emulators, you might want to think about mods to increase the compression damping. They do need a bit more to control attitude under brakes. I played around with the preload spacers as well and in conjunction with the flat rate springs from one of the FZR sets of forks, I ended up with only 5mm or so of preload when the sag was pretty well right. I used Motorex 20w at Robert Taylor's suggestion and initially at the standard setting of 112mm airgap (no springs, forks fully compressed). I later added another 30ml of oil but I reckon it might have been a little bit too much. The oil was added to control dive under brakes. I also adjusted the emulators at the same time. In standard trim it dove under brakes and the rear wasn't too hard to lift. Now it is pretty good and seems to only lift a bit even with a big handful of brake.

While you have it apart as well one thing I did which seems to have worked well (for me) was moving the clipons from under the triple clamp to on top. This raised the handlebars making it a bit more cumfy for this old guy plus it dropped the front and steepened the steering. Once I sort out the new chamber I think I will have ground clearance problems still so that 20mm might have to be found somewhere else but you have to be pretty well cranked over to touch down.

Great chassis though, you will love it.

speedpro
26th September 2008, 08:34
The manual says to fill with oil till there is 112mm between the oil and the top of the fork with the spring removed and the fork fully compressed. It doesn't give a volume and I haven't checked it.

The bike turns nicely for me, not too quick. I rode #23 and it drops into a turn and you have to catch it on the throttle or your knee. #6 isn't like that at all. It's real easy to go back if the steering isn't to your liking.

I don't know the bearing sizes but if you drag one of your bearings out and measure it I can make a few calls for you. It sounds a bit pricey where you are.

SHELRACING
26th September 2008, 14:43
Thanks Speedpro I have sorted the bearings. One of the locals is going to machine the wheel so I can use a standard 42mm od x 15mm id bearing.

I recall having a discussion with you trackside about modifying the standard cartridges at the bottom of the fork legs. You suggested filling two of the four holes in each cartridge. I pressume it was to control oil flow. Can you run it by me again. Here's a pic, which two holes to fill ?? does it matter.

Steve

The manual says to fill with oil till there is 112mm between the oil and the top of the fork with the spring removed and the fork fully compressed. It doesn't give a volume and I haven't checked it.

The bike turns nicely for me, not too quick. I rode #23 and it drops into a turn and you have to catch it on the throttle or your knee. #6 isn't like that at all. It's real easy to go back if the steering isn't to your liking.

I don't know the bearing sizes but if you drag one of your bearings out and measure it I can make a few calls for you. It sounds a bit pricey where you are.

speedpro
26th September 2008, 20:37
The four holes to the right in the picture are the primary factor in the compression damping. If I was going to make any changes to those four holes I would fill in the the left most two of those four. The closer the compression damping holes are to the bottom of the tube the better as it reduces the amount of uncontrolled rebound stroke. It'll be a matter of suck_and_see as far as how much you block up. Keep in mind that it could get pretty harsh on BIG bumps once you start getting the damping right for your average bumps.

SHELRACING
26th September 2008, 21:52
Cheers that makes sense (even to me). As you say it looks as if it will be a trial and error experiment. Now that I have the forks stripped I might have a bit of a play over the weekend.

The four holes to the right in the picture are the primary factor in the compression damping. If I was going to make any changes to those four holes I would fill in the the left most two of those four. The closer the compression damping holes are to the bottom of the tube the better as it reduces the amount of uncontrolled rebound stroke. It'll be a matter of suck_and_see as far as how much you block up. Keep in mind that it could get pretty harsh on BIG bumps once you start getting the damping right for your average bumps.

gav
27th September 2008, 09:41
Wonder how the exhaust will perform, most people I've seen are going for quite a short pipe with the muffler pretty much under the engine.

SHELRACING
27th September 2008, 20:29
Wonder how the exhaust will perform, most people I've seen are going for quite a short pipe with the muffler pretty much under the engine.

Yep running under the motor was a consideration, and our other bike The FXR/loncin does run the pipe under the motor. It would be easy take off the loncin and put on the delta because the Loncin used the original fxr header pipe.

I've seen other FXR's running the pipe out the back, and performing quite well. So we'll see how it goes.

I'm going to fit a pumper carb too. So I'll see if I can get John Connor up in Auckland to run the bike up on his Dyno when I get the bike running

gav
27th September 2008, 22:28
Have you increased the diameter of the header pipe or is it still standard size?
What carb are you looking at using? I've been using a GN250 carb on my FXR that has been OK, and have just got a DR200 carb to use, which appears to be a CV flatslide. Gone to a 150 main jet and looks like it'll be OK. Would like to try a pumper carb but seem hard to find and/or pretty expensive!

SHELRACING
28th September 2008, 19:34
Have you increased the diameter of the header pipe or is it still standard size?
What carb are you looking at using? I've been using a GN250 carb on my FXR that has been OK, and have just got a DR200 carb to use, which appears to be a CV flatslide. Gone to a 150 main jet and looks like it'll be OK. Would like to try a pumper carb but seem hard to find and/or pretty expensive!

For the header I used the flange from a Suzuki Goose header pipe it is considerably better than the FXR, it needed some minor grinding to get it to fit, Then I welded it to the pipe supplied by Pit Stop which was 38mm. The only concern may be the muffler I purchased it from SRS in Christchurch. It is said to be a race muffler designed for the FXR. Looks great and is very light. But looks like restrictor plates inside the pipe. I have been told not to remove them and try it first. We'll see how that goes.

As for the carb I have a a Pumper carb already on the Loncin so I'll borrow it and try that first. I hear the flatsides are one of the best carbs to use. But one of the FXR riders in Auckland ran a pumper for the first time last meeting. The improvement was obvious an dramatic. Interestingly he ran it without the pump connected for a while and it still ran very well.

I know where you can get a pumper carb if you want one Gav but they are around $135... Even at that price they are a great investment.

Buddha#81
28th September 2008, 20:23
The only concern may be the muffler I purchased it from SRS in Christchurch. It is said to be a race muffler designed for the FXR. Looks great and is very light. But looks like restrictor plates inside the pipe. I have been told not to remove them and try it first. We'll see how that goes.

I've got one too, I pulled it apart and removed all the restrictor and baffles, then moved the end restrictor to the middle of the perf tube. The way yours is now will probally give you more torque and suit your track. Try it first, easy to mod and I put screws in mine instead of rivets. I also kept my header short which is ment to help top end performance. I gained 9 kmph top end and saved 2-3 kgs to compensate for my fat guts.

gav
28th September 2008, 20:48
I know where you can get a pumper carb if you want one Gav but they are around $135... Even at that price they are a great investment.
Is that a new carb?

SHELRACING
29th September 2008, 07:56
Is that a new carb?

It is now listed on the website at $110, The carb is from the Newmanz website out of Auckland so there would be postage as well. Bear in mid you need to make new throttle cable (slide and pump). I used a CB 125 twin cable as starting point, changed the length a bit and added adjusters to it for the pumper. Here's a direct link if you want to have a look.

http://newmanz.co.nz/shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=pumper+carb

When i get mine fitted to the Delta I'll post a pic.

nudemetalz
29th September 2008, 12:35
What difference do you think the pumper carb makes?
I've never deactivated mine to find out.

Bren_chch
30th September 2008, 18:54

bugger all... maybe just maybe a little help off the line!

love the underseat exhaust!

SHELRACING
30th September 2008, 19:47

Well, A very competent Auckland rider fitted a pumper to his FXR and ran it for the first time last meeting. Initially he ran it without the pump. As I said before the diffierence to the bike was dramatic. It was considerably faster, according to the rider, right through the midrange.
I can't ramble on enough at the change in the bike. However when he did connect up the pump, I didn't see any real improvement from there. Although the pump wasn't adjusted up properly.

The pump on the Loncin is setup to pump, Straight off the throttle. So it won't make much difference off the start. Cos my throttle is already at 3/4 when the flag drops. However I do think it makes a difference coming out of corners, and rolling on/off in tight sections of the track.

Bren_chch
30th September 2008, 19:50
edit:

must be a different type of pumper carb :laugh:... pumper carbs only squirt once after throttle has been closed and then opened again, i cant see how it would effect bugger all, unbless u like to race in very low revs, infact on my fxr motor it seems to do fuk all, yow ling runs the same carb on his fxr without the pumper arm connected and it seems to make no difference between bikes... confusing stuff, i guess only a dyno run could possible tell 100% what is going on, but thats my take on them!

Bren_chch
30th September 2008, 19:57
actually thinking about it pumper carbs where first developed for the dirtbikes, help them get up and go out of the rutts, MUD, etc, is that not correct? they have no real road race advantage. :girlfight:

stanko
30th September 2008, 20:01
I've got one too, I pulled it apart and removed all the restrictor and baffles, then moved the end restrictor to the middle of the perf tube. The way yours is now will probally give you more torque and suit your track. Try it first, easy to mod and I put screws in mine instead of rivets. I also kept my header short which is ment to help top end performance. I gained 9 kmph top end and saved 2-3 kgs to compensate for my fat guts.

What your guts only weighs 3kg? 666 posts you must be the beast

Buckets4Me
30th September 2008, 20:01
thats what he is trying to say I think
when the throtel is shut of then opend again it pumps
as in most of the corners you shut off the throttle then on again
it's a tight track

Bren_chch
30th September 2008, 20:03
OHHH u ride them funny little tracks ay!!! my bad excuse me! ;)

Buckets4Me
30th September 2008, 20:05
you coming to taupo

Bren_chch
30th September 2008, 20:06
well i really want to come up and race, but looks unlikely, unless i get dangerous to sponsor me! actually better not he might expect some :buggerd: action... u know what he like!

Buckets4Me
30th September 2008, 20:06
I would think grunt out of corners and mud puddles would be the same
as in very usefull

Bren_chch
30th September 2008, 20:10
I would think grunt out of corners and mud puddles would be the same
as in very usefull

I don’t agree, but we can agree to disagree!

Buckets4Me
30th September 2008, 20:12
fair enough but I like pulling away from other rider as I exit a corner

Bren_chch
30th September 2008, 20:15
fair enough but I like pulling away from other rider as I exit a corner

and you put this down to a pumper carb?

Buckets4Me
1st October 2008, 08:43
no not at all I dont have one
but if it gets more grunt when you get back ont he throttle after shutting it off it cant be bad lol but never tryied anything like that
I think my bike hase more grunt than the old lincon but steve is a much better rider

F5 Dave
1st October 2008, 13:18
My 750SP has pumper flatslides, means you can whack them open (from reasonable revs of course) without them going lean by squirting more gas in when they need it, else you have to jet the carb richer to overcome this, which of course is a compromise once it clears it's throat or run smaller carbs where it isn't such a problem. CV carbs of course overcome this & what the heck am I doing talking about 4 strokes?:shit: um. . . bloody valves or summit [grumble]

C'mon Bren 3 months till Taupo to save up & borrow the old bike back or whatever is cooking. Don't think TonyM is coming so I have spare room for south islander wanting a staging post in Wellington.

Bren_chch
1st October 2008, 20:51
well, it looks like finally this new version i've built is starting to work out right. its been a right pain and from the start its just not been right, always had a problem with the fueling, which now seems right, using a 33mm flatslide PUMPER from kickaha, engine is pulling hard, some gearing changes to be made but all in all sweeeet! i cant save any money to come up as i dont got anything to save hahaha! something may come up and save the day, so will let u know about the offer, thanks!

Buckets4Me
1st October 2008, 20:56
get a job and a real hearcut :doh:

any way it's an Aucklander race so dont bother unless you want to be beaten :jerry:

or not

I'm racing for last but my bike did come home first (in the last race) last year pitty I wasent on it :laugh:

Skunk
1st October 2008, 21:10
I'm racing for last but my bike did come home first (in the last race) last year pitty I wasent on it :laugh:
I beat I can beat you to last place.

nudemetalz
1st October 2008, 21:19
Hey, my Loncin has the head off at the moment, about to get some tuning done, so the Skunkmobile might be able to be kept up with, soon.... ;)

F5 Dave
2nd October 2008, 08:20
. . . to get some tuning done, ....

One valve, two valve. Check. :done:

Buckets4Me
2nd October 2008, 08:24
one and a half valves it's chineas after all :jerry:

any way you dont have valves you cheat

nudemetalz
2nd October 2008, 11:25
cheeky pr1cks !!!!! :lol:

Didn't you know that Loncin also have a team in the 125 GP class....

Pumba
2nd October 2008, 11:45
cheeky pr1cks !!!!! :lol:

Didn't you know that Loncin also have a team in the 125 GP class....

And can you please explain to us how that relates to your low cost, four stroke, single cylinder engine:confused:

nudemetalz
2nd October 2008, 12:27
And can you please explain to us how that relates to your low cost, four stroke, single cylinder engine:confused:

Absolutely nothing,..I was just trying out a retalitory remark which failed miserably !! :crazy:
Have a laugh about it instead, ay !!!

Pumba
2nd October 2008, 13:55
Absolutely nothing,..I was just trying out a retalitory remark which failed miserably !! :crazy:
Have a laugh about it instead, ay !!!

Oh I was, shit sometimes you sarcasim and humor are lost the through the power of the interweb, reading it now it did sound kinda serious:laugh:

So............... I wounder how this delta project is getting along (rather than the last page of crap we all posted:doh:).

Skunk
2nd October 2008, 14:02
Leave him alone - it's all he has to cling too...

nudemetalz
2nd October 2008, 14:36
It IS all I have to cling too but I have some of Shelracing's (now this is thread-relevant) info on Loncin FXR-beating tuning.

I betcha my Lady Penelope LongChin has more carbon-fibre on it than Team Loncin's very low-achieving 125 GP racer :2thumbsup

Sorry Shelracing to hijack your thread.

SHELRACING
2nd October 2008, 18:59
Oh I was, shit sometimes you sarcasim and humor are lost the through the power of the interweb, reading it now it did sound kinda serious:laugh:

So............... I wounder how this delta project is getting along (rather than the last page of crap we all posted:doh:).

Well since you're all here killing time waiting for the next update :laugh:.

Here's a quickie update. I've got forks done, new seals oil etc Had issue with te TZ front wheel had to machine the wheel to get bearings to fit the 15mm FZ axle. Front wheel all in sweet. Then found the front caliper won't fit as it fouls the disc, bollocks I said.

Have made some adapter plates, so I think it's sorted now. I'll have to paint the adapter plates cos I made them out of steel and they'll rust and look like shit in no time.

Problem is Wobbler won't let me anywhere near a spray can. She says last time I painted some brackets we were still waiting for them to dry a week later, apparently, I put the 2nd layers on before the first dried. That must be true then for the 3rd and 4th layers too then :laugh:

I have someone welding an alloy flange for me for the curved inlet manifold. I have mounted the carb to a straight manifold, but as I suspected it fouls the exhaust.
However if I get the welding done by tomorrow I'm hoping to get the bike running over the weekend.

Post up some more pics soon... In the mean time feel free to ramble on fellas

Bren_chch
2nd October 2008, 19:04
this is a cool project... because its about an fxr150 motor! :Punk:

i'll prolly rob your content posted here and photos and place them on my website http://www.fxr150.co.nz under 'other people projects' if thats ok, folks who look at my site would like to see it.

SHELRACING
2nd October 2008, 19:13
this is a cool project... because its about an fxr150 motor! :Punk:

i'll prolly rob your content posted here and photos and place them on my website http://www.fxr150.co.nz under 'other people projects' if thats ok, folks who look at my site would like to see it.

Yep that would be cool. I've been to the FXR150 website many times. I have heaps more pics. If there's anything else you want to see.....

Bren_chch
2nd October 2008, 19:17
all the photos... if you could make a story for the site with pics and i'll add it, or like i said i can just copy from here.

:D

nudemetalz
2nd October 2008, 21:25
I think a Loncin Racing website might be needed.....

Pumba
2nd October 2008, 21:28

There already is (http://www.metalman.co.nz/) :killingme

SHELRACING
2nd October 2008, 21:34

If ya get it up and running, I might have a few pics for that too... :D

nudemetalz
2nd October 2008, 21:53
Me thunks Pumba may not be appreciative of the fine characteristics of the championship-winning Loncin engine, despite it being made from recycled dog-food cans (Chinese ones of course) ..... :laugh:

Hmm,..the website is an idea alright. Afterall, there is quite a few coming on the scene now and Fi5hy did take the Wellington Bucket championship for 2008 on a stock-standard engine !!!

Pumba
3rd October 2008, 07:26
Me thunks Pumba may not be appreciative of the fine characteristics of the championship-winning Loncin engine, despite it being made from recycled dog-food cans (Chinese ones of course) ..... :laugh:

No I am very respectfull of the engines, shit Steves has passed me on the track more times than I care to remeber.

Its just that they are so easy to make fun of:jerry:, I mean you would better off to walk round with a target on your arse and a sign saying kick me, bit like honda riders:eek:

nudemetalz
3rd October 2008, 07:45
Hey I own a Guzzi too, there's target # 2 !!!!

Skunk
3rd October 2008, 07:57
Shit man - you're making such an easy target...

nudemetalz
3rd October 2008, 08:09
Keeps life "interesting" :blink:

Buckets4Me
3rd October 2008, 11:34
when did I last post something
cant seem to find it in the last page and a half :Offtopic:

put the fxr on the website as well because it HAD an FXR engine in it :doh:

show them what real tuning is all about

:Offtopic: anyone done an fxr with a 2 smoker in it yet :Offtopic:

Buckets4Me
3rd October 2008, 11:34
he DID say Ramble ON Didn't he

:Police:

nudemetalz
3rd October 2008, 11:53
I reckon a GP125 engine in an FXR frame with GSXR wheels would be a good combination for an ultimate bucket.
Just matter of finding all 3 at the same time !!!:sweatdrop

Slingshot
3rd October 2008, 12:17

I'm doing a GP100 powered FXR with a TZR rear & a CBR front.

SHELRACING
3rd October 2008, 12:20
when did I last post something
cant seem to find it in the last page and a half :Offtopic:

put the fxr on the website as well because it HAD an FXR engine in it :doh:

show them what real tuning is all about

Ok, everyone except buckets4me ramble on...... Bloody Jafas:bleh:

Buckets4Me
3rd October 2008, 14:00
thats is I'm crashing infrount of you again :doh:

SHELRACING
3rd October 2008, 19:39
The Delta is almost ready to fire up. I have just got my welded manifold back. I now have to cut and file the manifold face to match the carb, which is going to to take me a while.

Anyways. I have ignition. I made a basic loom, and with a wiring diagram from Stanko, getting a spark was easy. However, there's always a however.... I can only get ignition by running a battery. At this stage I'd rather run without the battery. Can anyone running a system without battery, provide me with a wiring diagram.

Cheers

Buckets4Me
3rd October 2008, 21:12
Cool to hear there are suzuki gp engines going into these
I think they are the best but I could be a bit biast

Steve you bring this bike up next time ??

Pumba
3rd October 2008, 21:17
Can anyone running a system without battery, provide me with a wiring diagram.

Cant help you there but I would be very interested in this myself

SHELRACING
4th October 2008, 18:39
Had a good day on the Delta today.

Picked up the welded inlet manifold flange. Had to dress it back and clean the face for mounting the carb. It seems to have worked as I had hoped. Having the original manifold coming straight from the engine the carb would foul the exhaust. The new manifold has a left bend, which seems to fit quite well.

I am going to fit the front wheel and front brakes back in tomorrow. The flimsy aluminium bracket that holds the front mudguard has been replaced with a 3mm steel copy, I am hoping this will give the forks a little extra support.

Here's a couple of pics. I think we will try and get the motor running tomoorw as well.

Buckets4Me
4th October 2008, 18:56
thats getting to pretty to ride :laugh:

look good

Buddha#81
4th October 2008, 19:44
A couple of wee things, other than looking good. The catch bottle is higher than the carb bowl, so it will flood into the carb, instead of draining into the catch bottle. The choke butterfly and pivot tube are unnessary restrictions if you don't need a choke. Bren's down here (so he says) handles like a dream, I'll find out on Tuesday when I jew a ride.

SHELRACING
4th October 2008, 22:16
A couple of wee things, other than looking good. The catch bottle is higher than the carb bowl, so it will flood into the carb, instead of draining into the catch bottle. The choke butterfly and pivot tube are unnessary restrictions if you don't need a choke. Bren's down here (so he says) handles like a dream, I'll find out on Tuesday when I jew a ride.

Yep good point on the catch bottle, I'll look at moving it. At this point I'll leave the choke until the bikes been out to the track a bit and I know how easy it is get running. It's easy to remove later on.

Cheers

SHELRACING
5th October 2008, 20:50
Spent the whole weekend working on the bike.

Finished fitting the front wheel and modified front brake assembly, all good, little spongy on the brake lever not surprising with the new pads fitted. Hopefully that will settle down.

Had the Motor running too today. Sounds really sweet the The concerns I had about restrictions from the muffler appear to be unfounded. A few loose ends to tidy up, and I can get her off the bench. Reloacte the catch bottle, secure the battery, and oil change, wire locking the sump plug.

When I get the bike off the table, I can do a wheel alignment although I think it's pretty much spot on. Can't wait to take her for a quick spin up the road.
:2thumbsup

Bren_chch
5th October 2008, 20:55
thats a top job, well done!

Pumba
6th October 2008, 07:27
Can't wait to take her for a quick spin up the road.:2thumbsup

Good stuff, does that mean we are going to see its madain apperance at Mt Welly this weekend?

SHELRACING
6th October 2008, 09:58
Good stuff, does that mean we are going to see its madain apperance at Mt Welly this weekend?

Yep we are hoping to bring it up to Auck this weekend, Just got to finish a few things off.

Typical, it's forecast rain here all week, But if it settles a bit Weds or Thurs I'm going to get the keys for the track and do a few test laps, just to make sure I've got no major bugs before I haul it all the way to Auck.

See ya's on Saturday anyways. Hope you fellas up there have organised a dry weekend for us !!

Buckets4Me
6th October 2008, 17:20
Dry days are extra $$$ now
Mr Clark spent all the money and needs some more
before he looks like a right dick for the elections :doh:

SHELRACING
6th October 2008, 18:57
YEEEEE HAAAAAA I get the FXR/lONCIN now.

My F5 bike is not very healthy. :bye: A few bits have been robbed for the Delta. :bash:

Still.......the mans next project is my RG/honda 100.

Granma

SHELRACING
6th October 2008, 20:00
Had my first blat up the road on the Delta this afternoon, Great to ride, weight, balance feels good, Suspension a feels good.

It feels a bit underpowered, but may be just due to gearing as it takes a while to wind up. Can anyone give me the standard sprocket sizes so I can check the gearing. Currently running 14F / 51R

Cheers

nudemetalz
6th October 2008, 20:03
Congrats, Dude.

Lookin' good !!!
(Delta that is.. !!!!)

tommorth
8th October 2008, 13:00
cool looking beastie apparantly stock sprokets for fxr are 14/48

SHELRACING
8th October 2008, 20:08
cool looking beastie apparantly stock sprokets for fxr are 14/48

Cheers for that tommorth

Buckets4Me
8th October 2008, 20:17
I always found my bike boring to ride up the road as they just went threw the gears and got to top speed to quick

geared for about 100k at Mt Wellington
and around 125-130k for taupo last year
see how the new engine goes this time

SHELRACING
8th October 2008, 20:39
Ok, I think we have the Delta, running well enough for some track testing. There are still a few details to work on.

I'm taking the bike to the Taumarunui track tomorrow evening for a few test laps. To check out my gearing, steering and suspension, and to see how the motor runs.

Then we're off to Auckland for the monthly meeting, this weekend.

For future development
I have to find my own motor. (This one's bororwed)
Need to make a tail section.
Some Cam and porting work
Carb mods
set of wheels for wets. (Have a rear wheel, need front)
Ignition system upgrade
Paintwork

Buckets4Me
8th October 2008, 20:45
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Engine-drive-train/auction-180109559.htm

Buckets4Me
12th October 2008, 18:54
HA HA THAT WILL TEACH YA

no more racing in B grade :oi-grr:

dam that bike and you where fast today

32's in the morning dont know what you where doing at the end but
looked faster

SHELRACING
13th October 2008, 08:33
HA HA THAT WILL TEACH YA

no more racing in B grade :oi-grr:

dam that bike and you where fast today

32's in the morning dont know what you where doing at the end but
looked faster

Cheers Buckets, she 's a sweet bike to ride that's for sure.. :Punk:

SHELRACING
13th October 2008, 08:45
Had an awesome weekends racing in Auckland. Apart from half a dozen laps in the rain at Taumarunui on Thursday night. It was the first outing on the Delta.

I am stoked with it. We weighed it in at 114 Kg which was a little heavier than I'd anticipated, but when it came down to track time I don't think it mattered that much. The bike handles like a dream, I was surprised at how quick and smooth it turned, with no hint at all of letting go.

The only issue I have to sort is some back end chatter at the bottom of the fast straight under hard braking, and I must admit to that being a bit unsettling especially when pushing it with the 'A' grade boys.

Had a 1st and a second ing the 'B' grade prelims, before being ummm.... 'promoted' into the 'A' grade where I had a couple of great races in the midfield.

A great weekend for everyone at the Auckland meeting...

Looking forward to the Taumarunui meet in two weeks.... Yeeeeha

SHELRACING
13th October 2008, 19:42
Check out the riding style. I haven't seen him ride like that before.
1st photo was taken on or about the 3rd lap at the first practice session on the Saturday.
The rest were taken on Sunday.
Looks like the bike handles rather well.

SHELRACING
18th October 2008, 19:24
The Delta ran superbly up in Auckland for it's first meeting I was stoked with it. Came away with a couple of issues to resolve.

The bike didn't run too well with the pumper carb. So I ran it with the original carb at the Auckland meet. I think there may have been an inlet leak at the homemade manifold. Talked to Tim Fraser who's just fitted a pumper and used his idea for another manifold. Need to check it out at the track now.

Had some issues with the front brake, worked well but very spongy, which is a bit of a bummer at the bottom of the fast Mt Welly straight going into a tight left turn. Changed the front master cylinder. Brake feels a lot better now.

I think suspension was way off, although the bike handled superbly, I was touching my footpegs (which i'd already shortened 20mm), and getting my kneed down no problem at all. Under hard braking again at the bottom of the straight the rear wheel was bouncing. Heart stopping stuff when your side by side with another rider going into that left hander.
The rear was way to hard. so i've softened up. The front was the opposite way too soft, I've done some mods to the springs and spacers. I think it's a lot better.

Need some track time to check out all the mods. We are going to the Taumarunui track for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon for some testing.

Looking forward to labour weekend and putting them Jaffas in their place. :whistle:

SHELRACING
1st November 2008, 19:47
The bike was handling so well that Steve just had to try and take Rob on the sweeper. Unfortunatley........the bike headed off in the wrong direction :laugh:

Pic one is the crash and pic 2 is the grass on the bike.

After crash no2....(yes crash no2) on the same corner in almost the exact same spot, the DELTA is back on the table for repairs.
And maybe some MODS. Gota go faster now. Gota beat that GP125!