PDA

View Full Version : Tool Tube Thingy?

marks
4th September 2008, 17:32
Has anyone made a tool tube thingy that bolts to downtube(s) in front of your engine.

I was thinking of making one for the klr out of 75mm or 100mm pvc pipe but thought I would try and pick everyones brains here first and maybe save myself some grief....

tipper
4th September 2008, 17:37
just before the rattling noise finally drives you mad, the plastic will crack off and your stuff will be all down the road.

I bought a front-guard mounted tool baggie from Ballards in Aussie, worked reasonably well, but eventually it was ' stop and pick up tools'

Crisis management
4th September 2008, 18:01
Zeph, who is very infrequently on here does that with his bikes, 100 dia PVC with screw on caps fixed at sump level to the down tubes in front of the engine. I believe he has had this for yonks with no problems as long as the tools are wrapped in cloth etc it should work well.
I was going to try this on the DR but there was no free space to mount a tube in that location.

JATZ
4th September 2008, 18:11
Cant see why it wouldn't work, use pn12 or 15, and it should last for ages.
How will it be fixed to the frame ?

marks
4th September 2008, 19:03
Cant see why it wouldn't work, use pn12 or 15, and it should last for ages.
How will it be fixed to the frame ?

I'm hopeful that my yet to arrive crash bars may have something I can hose clamp around.

JATZ
4th September 2008, 19:16
It''s actually a pretty good idea, might even grab some stuff from work next week and give it a go, 100mm pressure pipe might be a bit big though(but it would last well).

Crisis management
4th September 2008, 19:31
Don't get carried away, just use Marley waste pipe and plumbing fittings, it works just fine. Pay a lot of attention to mounting it getting the load spread as much as possible and make sure there is no movement in the finished unit.

NordieBoy
4th September 2008, 20:05
I was going to try this on the DR but there was no free space to mount a tube in that location.

Plenty of DR pics with that type of tube mounted down there on ADV rider.
Also ones mounted in place of the existing toolbox.

Padmei
4th September 2008, 21:03
If you have a look on KLR650 net there have been a few people that have put them up under the RHS cowl which is out of the way but reachable. I am going to try somehow fitting one up under there. On the crash bars it would prob get broken if dropped.

I was thinking a fire extinguisher type bracket would be quite good as a quick release but secure fitting so you could take the whole tube out.