PDA

View Full Version : The present!

sinfull
5th September 2008, 12:26
Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room.

One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs.
His bed was next to the room's only window.

The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.

The men talked for hours on end.
They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation.

Every afternoon, when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.

The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake.
Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.

As the man by the window described all this in exquisite details, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine this picturesque scene.

One warm afternoon, the man by the window described a parade passing by.

Although the other man could not hear the band - he could see it in his mind ' s eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.

Days, weeks and months passed.

One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep.
She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone.

Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside.
He strained to slowly turn to look out the window besides the bed.

It faced a blank wall.

Epilogue:

There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations.

Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled.

If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can ' t buy.

'Today is a gift, that is why it is called The Present.'

Gareth51
5th September 2008, 12:34
Verry true

Hitcher
5th September 2008, 12:36
I think I tasted a little bit of sick in the back of my mouth.

Storm
5th September 2008, 12:42
I think I tasted a little bit of sick in the back of my mouth.

Those are tears, you crusty hardened old man

Murray
5th September 2008, 14:54
Reminds me of the story about the bond formed between a little girl and some construction workers

A young family moved into the house next door to a vacant section. One day a construction crew turned up to start building a house on the section

The young family's 5 year old daughter naturally took an interest in the activity going on and started talking with the workers. She hung around and eventually the construction crew, all of them pretty rough, adopted her as a kind of project mascot.

They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had coffee and lunch breaks and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.

At the end of the first week they presented her with a pay envelope containing 5 dollars. The little girl took this home to her mother who suggested she take the money to the bank to start a savings account. When they got to the bank the teller was equally impressed with the story and how she had come by her own pay check at such a young age.

The little girl had proudly told her how she had worked all last week with the construction crew.

My goodness said the teller "and will you be working on the house again this week??

The little girl replied... "I will if those useless bastards at Bunnings ever bring us the fucking plasterboard.

What a good girl!!!

yod
5th September 2008, 14:58
The little girl replied... "I will if those useless bastrads at Bunnings ever bring us the fucking plasterboard.

What a good girl!!!

lol
mint!

Tank
5th September 2008, 15:44
He strained to slowly turn to look out the window besides the bed.

It faced a blank wall.

So the first old git was lying to the poor bloke the whole time, building his hopes up for the window seat - then he found out it was all bullshit - what a bastard!

Edit: lying for months on end - was his name Winston?

Murray
6th September 2008, 09:42
yeah, pretty nasty story, full of deceipt and intrigue

slofox
6th September 2008, 19:12
I love both the stories but I loved some of the comments even more.....you cynical lot you....!

bomma
6th September 2008, 19:21
rolf "useless bastards at Bunnings" hahahha