PDA

View Full Version : Wtf!

thommo77
5th September 2008, 20:14
Don't think we'll see one of these going over the Maungatapu anytime soon............

merv
5th September 2008, 20:15
Why not? Would get over OK wouldn't it?

Padmei
5th September 2008, 20:20
Mate I just got a chubby then:love:

Ocean1
5th September 2008, 20:23
Why not? Would get over OK wouldn't it?

Probly depends on who's getting it there.

The US army uses sommat like that, Kawasaki based iirc, modified to run on NATO std fuel.

tri boy
5th September 2008, 20:27
Pppffft. It would easily do that hump of a hill. Just don't let Nordie near it.

NordieBoy
5th September 2008, 20:40
Modded KLR650.
They go well(ish) if you don't need much power but good range.
The Marines use them.
http://www.m1030.com

It'd need higher bars and digital dash and lowered footpegs and braided lines and open pipe first :D

The production of this one is delayed but... :whistle:

CrazyFrog
5th September 2008, 21:13
It'd sound even more like a tractor than the original model!

warewolf
7th September 2008, 16:38
Don't think we'll see one of these going over the Maungatapu anytime soon............Not unless the Uncle Sam's coming over here to kick some kiwi arse!! or should I say 'ass' :2guns:

young1
7th September 2008, 22:15
Don't some of them run on diesel (seriously). I understand the US Army did this due to the risks having to transport petrol in bulk for the bikes (I presume diesel doesn't go bang as easily when a rocket hits a tanker?)

Ocean1
7th September 2008, 22:26
Don't some of them run on diesel (seriously). I understand the US Army did this due to the risks having to transport petrol in bulk for the bikes (I presume diesel doesn't go bang as easily when a rocket hits a tanker?)

Seems I've heard of purely diesel bikes. That one runs on NATO fuel, which is a very wide spec' based mostly on JetA1, (kerosene). They wanted to simplify the logistics of fuel supply over the entire fleet, including choppers etc. It would run on diesel, kerro, or pretty much any other fuel short of the light-ends like petrol and the bottom end like heavy fuel oil.

Ixion
7th September 2008, 22:31
Renfield do a diesel bike. There's at least one in NZ. Totally buggers the LTSA system

Years ago I (and some others equally young and stupid), managed to run Beeza Bantams quite successfully on kerosene. Shit to start but once running they went OK. Gutless as hell , but the Bantam was that on any fuel. And made even more smoke than usual :love:

warewolf
8th September 2008, 19:05
Brian "Diesel Rusty" Hickson built his own diesel-powered bike. He used it on a few legs of a Southern Cross, amongst other things. Had a 2hp Briggs & Stratton or something, last I talked to him about it he was aiming to fit a 3-4hp job to give a top speed above the 80-ish of the current one.

pete376403
8th September 2008, 21:14
The USMC diesel is built by Hayes Diversified. While the running gear is KLR650, the engine is all Hayes. They have been talking about releasing them for sale, but currently the USMC are taking all Hayes can build. Apparently there are a lot of new KLR engine parts available on E-bay, as a result
http://www.hdtusa.com/models.htm

edit should have read Nordies post first.

NordieBoy
8th September 2008, 22:21
edit should have read Nordies post first.

:laugh:

Do keep up...

clint640
9th September 2008, 08:27
The Austrian (& a few other Euro nations) military get KTM LC4 400s:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ktm-tech/ktm-military-32531

I know which one I'd rather be trying to outrun a Hilux load of RPG toting Taliban on :yes:

Cheers
Clint

Drogen Omen
9th September 2008, 08:46
Man imagine a Diesel GN250....

fill it up on like $4.50 and run it for the next 6 months... hehehehe

Currently run my GN on 96oc at $13.75 (full tank) for 1 weeks comute from upper hutt to wellington

Diesel one would be crazy cheap...
:wacko:

NordieBoy
9th September 2008, 09:30

Currently run my GN on 96oc at $13.75 (full tank) for 1 weeks comute from upper hutt to wellington

And about 5hp :D

Ixion
9th September 2008, 09:51

You asked .

cooneyr
9th September 2008, 10:38
The Austrian (& a few other Euro nations) military get KTM LC4 400s:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ktm-tech/ktm-military-32531

I know which one I'd rather be trying to outrun a Hilux load of RPG toting Taliban on :yes:

Cheers
Clint

They would be worth checking out as a hack to get around Europe on the cheap. Very interesting.

Cheers R

warewolf
10th September 2008, 21:37

fill it up on like $4.50 and run it for the next 6 months...

I'd rather run for the next 6 months, ta.

NordieBoy
10th September 2008, 22:00
I'd rather run for the next 6 months, ta.

You'd be faster and fitter :D

awayatc
10th September 2008, 22:13
Be easier to fill up in the field if it's diesel like everything else

Was a review of a big diesel cruiser in motorcycle tader last year......
A german Neander....not bad looking

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/View/Article/Diesel-with-a-difference/251.aspx?Ntt=diesel&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&Ntk=All